So what's the status, Blizzard?
I realise you can't talk much ahead of the expansion announcement, but at least some indicator that you still like the idea of self-found would be nice.
I can say that we do still like the idea of implementing a self-found mode (or something like it) sometime in the future. Wyatt recently talked a little bit about it in an interview with Flux over at diablo.incgamers.com, and said that it's still something he thinks is very cool, but recognizes it would need to be separated from other game modes.
This is indeed a very encouraging development! Thank you blue for letting us know that a Self-found mode is being looked into. I don't know if any developers ever saw the work that many of us put into a workable, separate mode of play: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9309641216
- Sf players only play with other SF;
- A matchmaker system to compare people in public games (level and DPS) to prevent power-leveling abuse (and all the items that drop). Also monitor players in public games to prevent them from then switching to better equipment;
- Only allow experience and items to drop if the person is on the same mini-map as the rest of the players. People will stay together and this will also prevent players from just sitting in town and collecting experience then going to pick up the items later;
- No trading. This isn't finding your own items and could be abused;
- No auction houses. This isn't finding your own items;
- No ability to drop items or gold. Others finding items does not make it Self-found;
- Make all items character-bound. That's right, you can't find the best item then go sell it;
- (Optionally) Receive more gold selling items to in game vendors, and more materials when broken down by Blacksmith;
-Blizzard will determine if one should still be able to buy items from in game vendors;
- (Optionally) Item drop rates improved to compensate for no AH, especially for plans that are used by the Blacksmith and Jeweler. The consoles will have a better drop rate due to no auction house and Self-found should be the same;
- Each Self-found character is a separate instance, thus a separate stash, separate blacksmith and jeweler; their levels are reset to zero and gold is reset to zero;
- A separate experience bar to track the difficulty level and progression (like Softcore and Hardcore have);
- Self-found mode should also be able to be used with hardcore mode; either/both selected via checkboxes (and again as a separate hardcore instance);
- Monster Power, Infernal Machine, etc. all to remain the same; and
- Denote self-found characters in a special way, example coloured halo, or different font colour (like Hardcore has);
- Separate server for Self-found and Hardcore. This will greatly reduce rubberbanding and lag, and will make it easy to select SF softcore and SF hardcore play;
- Brawling would be fair if the same matchmaking system existed; and
- Later we could see a Self-found forum and SF achievements and even SF Ladders.