Diablo® III

Blizzard, is self-found on the way?

(Locked)

One questions.

You have all the GFG cool !@# items.

Now what? You can't trade, you can't "show off" those items in Duels.

What now?
Edited by Shrewify#1223 on 8/7/2013 11:21 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I !@#$ing give up. I'm done trying to convince them that self-found is what a lot of players want, they've just left so they can't spread their opinion. No more Diablo 3 for me. No more Diablo 3 forums for me. No more. You guys need to have reality check and see that 80% of POE's population are the people you've turned your back on. Bye.
So what's the status, Blizzard?

I realise you can't talk much ahead of the expansion announcement, but at least some indicator that you still like the idea of self-found would be nice.

I can say that we do still like the idea of implementing a self-found mode (or something like it) sometime in the future. Wyatt recently talked a little bit about it in an interview with Flux over at diablo.incgamers.com, and said that it's still something he thinks is very cool, but recognizes it would need to be separated from other game modes.

Self found ladder? No AH, No trade window. Would certainly be interesting.

It has nothing to do with gear for me. It's all about principals.

I think your crowd worries more about your incoming AH supply than your sales. You need the unsuspecting and unknowledgeable "casuals" throwing their farmed finds on the AH in order to feed your lazy AH tycoon empires :)

Even if they implement a SF mode, the "unsuspecting and unknowledgeable casuals" will quickly get bored of not finding anything at all and not having access to the AH and return to give us free money.

SF will be a wasteland 2 days later =)

I knew it was all about greed.

Either way, if you believe they're going to come back to you, why oppose it? Think about it this way; a self found mode when announced is VERY likely to bring back many players who've formerly quit D3. When they get bored of having no AH, they'll slip back into the standard league and supply you fellows with a substantially larger 'new' clientele base.

What say you now? :)

-forgot "larger"- oops
Edited by Otis#1467 on 8/7/2013 11:31 AM PDT
08/07/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Ornstein
I !@#$ing give up. I'm done trying to convince them that self-found is what a lot of players want, they've just left so they can't spread their opinion. No more Diablo 3 for me. No more Diablo 3 forums for me. No more. You guys need to have reality check and see that 80% of POE's population are the people you've turned your back on. Bye.

POE can trade items.

Also, BYE, you will not be missed.
08/07/2013 11:17 AMPosted by Zaxxon23
Even if they implement a SF mode, the "unsuspecting and unknowledgeable casuals" will quickly get bored of not finding anything at all and not having access to the AH and return to give us free money.SF will be a wasteland 2 days later =)

Not to mention that even those who do like it will be done with the game in a matter of months, and the non-SF realms will dry up without players.

Diablo only works by pleasing both audiences. Itemizing properly to give people the illusion of self-find, so that they can be part of the market in the larger trading meta-game.

If the market goes away, the game breaks down. The devs don't understand Diablo enough to realize this.

I think you are both wrong.

First of all, the removal of the RMAH will turn bad items good again. No longer will only godly items be considered 'good drops'. Because everyone on that mode is on the same playing-field, the bar for what constitutes a good item will suddenly be lowered by a huge amount. This will let players feel a greater sense of satisfaction when loot drops, and they'll feel that they can actually make upgrades in their gear by simply playing the game.

Yes, itemization fix is still needed without a doubt. The loot situation is bad, even if the RMAH did go away. But implementing itemization fix and keeping the RMAH as it is won't solve anything either. Within 2 weeks, you'll have the top 0.1% items on the RMAH, and everything apart from those items will feel like crap again.

The RMAH is a problem because it creates a global community and floods it with 'average' items. Items that, without the RMAH to centralise the loot, would be spread across the server and feel a lot more relevant.

But like it has been said, no one is asking RMAH players to give up on their auction house. Feel free to keep payin' instead of playin'. What people are asking for is an alternative for those of us who want it to be difficult to find items, for the community as a whole.
08/07/2013 11:17 AMPosted by Zaxxon23
Even if they implement a SF mode, the "unsuspecting and unknowledgeable casuals" will quickly get bored of not finding anything at all and not having access to the AH and return to give us free money.SF will be a wasteland 2 days later =)

Not to mention that even those who do like it will be done with the game in a matter of months, and the non-SF realms will dry up without players.

Diablo only works by pleasing both audiences. Itemizing properly to give people the illusion of self-find, so that they can be part of the market in the larger trading meta-game.

If the market goes away, the game breaks down. The devs don't understand Diablo enough to realize this.

I've never once stated that fixing the itemization issues/character creation & building, etc would be a bad thing. Those things would be great as well. The presence of the current AH system and its dependencies will make it difficult to do, but I really hope they can.

If the AH stays as is, with its lack of rules and enforcement, the game will eventually slip into the same place as it is now. In order to make any meaningful improvements to D3 as a game, the AH must be overhauled as well.
08/07/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Ornstein

Hopefully D3 will become a Diablo game soon. Be well, sir.
Community Manager
Like I've said before: none of the solutions will work without the other. Itemization / loot updates won't fix the game in the long run, because within minutes the RMAH will still offer the absolutely best gear again, and everything else will be crap. Nor will just a self-found solution fix the game, because finding viable loot still takes too much time, and there are too few options in terms of gear for your characters.

Together though, they'd make a great game.

I like this train of thought, because it's important to remember that if a feature like self-found mode were implemented it would likely be at a time when other large scale changes (like itemization) are also made, or sometime after.

Yup Yup.

Can't wait to read your next awesome thread...

"This guy played 2 hours and got 300k dps while i played 2000 hours and got 100k dps... i quit this game".

Tbh, why are you even here? I'm sure you're a great guy in real life, but nothing you ever say on these forums seems to be constructive, nice, or even make sense. Do you ever do anything apart from trolling or flaming? :)
Like I've said before: none of the solutions will work without the other. Itemization / loot updates won't fix the game in the long run, because within minutes the RMAH will still offer the absolutely best gear again, and everything else will be crap. Nor will just a self-found solution fix the game, because finding viable loot still takes too much time, and there are too few options in terms of gear for your characters.

I like this train of thought, because it's important to remember that if a feature like self-found mode were implemented it would likely be at a time when other large scale changes (like itemization) are also made, or sometime after.

Good to hear.

I kind of get the feeling that what you'd really want to say is: "Everybody calm the *bleep* down, expansion will fix everything!", without actually telling us (NDA and so on). Maybe I'm just very naive, but hopefully your nods will turn out to be in the direction of a lovely expansion in a couple of months.

I still have high hopes for this game.
Edited by Cyberbard#2464 on 8/7/2013 11:37 AM PDT
08/07/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Skillol
"This guy played 2 hours and got 300k dps while i played 2000 hours and got 100k dps... i quit this game".

The fact that you make statements like this one shows me you have no concept of how non-money driven GAMERS feel about and play these sorts of games.

Tbh, why are you even here? I'm sure you're a great guy in real life, but nothing you ever say on these forums seems to be constructive, nice, or even make sense. Do you ever do anything apart from trolling or flaming? :)

Where's the trolling?

I'm serious. I can't wait that thread of yours. I even got popcorn ready :O

I rest my case.
I'm so glad SirRight came to the party too. He further illustrates the fact that SF players haven't got much of a clue yet. Highlighting some points:

- "No ability to drop items or gold. Others finding items does not make it Self-found".

So if you can't drop items.. what about for instance, when a barbarian is whirlwinding, as they always do, and by accident pick up 3 whites in their path. Now you can't drop them? So you have to go sell them? What a waste of inventory space and time. Not well thought out.

- "Each Self-found character is a separate instance, thus a separate stash, separate blacksmith and jeweler; their levels are reset to zero and gold is reset to zero."

Why? If you are finding your own gear, why would you not want to share your own gear with yourself? What if you find a godly chantodos wand on your barb.. You now have no use for it? This is ridiculous, and self defeating.

- "Denote self-found characters in a special way, example coloured halo, or different font colour"

Why? Do you realize a) how much coding this probably would take the Blizzard team we have and b) are you doing something special? Hardcore gets special coloring because it is actually hard, and what HC players have at stake is essentially losing all their time invested in a character. Self found is playing softcore with an extra set of rules. You can die as much as you want, and therefore it doesn't make you any better or worse than some other softcore player. Nothing is at stake other than some gold.

- "Separate server for Self-found and Hardcore. This will greatly reduce rubberbanding and lag, and will make it easy to select SF softcore and SF hardcore play"

No actually. Realistically, if Blizzard has to make separate servers, they will simply split the resources they have now, especially since they won't profit from SF players at all, and therefore it'll probably make things worse. You'd have SF servers that would most likely be near empty, and regular servers being overburdened further. This is more of a "we're special, we deserve special things" request.

- "Brawling would be fair if the same matchmaking system existed"

I only included this because it's funny you guys even discuss brawling. No one else does. At least you're thorough.

- "Later we could see a Self-found forum and SF achievements and even SF Ladders"

This request sounds like a "I came in 5th place so I deserve a medal" request. What special achievements do you deserve? You beat the same game everyone else did. I'm not going to even discuss ladder, because we don't even have a regular ladder system yet.. so it's pointless.

The only reason I'm doing this is to illustrate a point. Blizzard is a company with finite (though deep) resources. SF players are asking for a whole new experience, which is basically the same exact experience again, but just with more rules. Blizzard would have to make a whole new game within a game, just for a small group of players. It is a waste of resources.

Good stuff. Looking forward to it and looking forward to follow along with the progress. Updates are always welcomed.

Thank you, sir
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]