Diablo® III

Cloud of Bats Mana and SOJ Frame Analysis

View profile
I ran some frame by frame tests of the mana usage and I was sort of surprised at what I found.

So the way the mana costs are paid for CoB is you pay an initial casting cost a few frames after casting the spell, followed by channel tick cost 2 frames later (always.) And the casting cost was 221, not 220 (always unless you used a SOJ, see below.) After these initial costs, you begin to pay the channel cost in fixed intervals.

The channel tick cost is 33. How often it ticks is based on attack speed. At 1 APS, you pay the channel cost every 30 frames, so twice per second, at 1.49 APS, you pay it every 20 frames, so 3 times per second, at 1.99 APS, you pay it every 15 frames, so 4 times per second.

APS Costs:
  • 1 APS, 66 channel cost per second, (2 ticks)
  • 1.49 APS, 99 channel cost per second, (3 ticks)
  • 1.99 APS, 132 channel cost per second, (4 ticks)
  • So when you are forced to recast COB, you don't pay the casting cost, then a second later start paying the channel cost, you are hit with 221+33 = 254 (ouch.) Even releasing the skill as fast as possible, I still paid the first channel tick cost. So accidentally casting CoB is really expensive (Force Move is your friend here.)

Even worse, I found the reduction from SOJ was not as good as you would think it was. A SOJ reduced the casting cost and the tick cost by the same amount. But this amount was not what is listed on the ring.

A -9 SOJ reduced the initial cost by 2 and each tick cost by 2. So at 1 APS, it ticks 2 times per second, so you saved 4 mana per second (you would pay 62 instead of 66.) And the initial cost was 219 instead of 221. At 2 APS, you pay the tick cost 4 times per second, so you get -8 per second (almost the full -9.) I don't know anyone who runs CoB at 2 APS, though.

Similiarly a -5 SOJ reduced the cost by 1 and the tick cost by 1. These numbers are rounded though.

The real numbers went like this (ran over 10 tests)
    SOJ Reduction per tick
  • -4 - reduction of 1 per tick
  • -5 - reduction of 1.2 per tick
  • -6 - reduction of 1.4 per tick
  • -7 - reduction of 1.7 per tick
  • -8 - reduction of 1.9 per tick
  • -9 - reduction of 2.2 per tick
  • -10 - reduction of 2.4 per tick
  • So it appears as though you need at least 2 APS to get the full reduction you think you are getting with a SOJ (and you are still getting hosed on the initial casting cost reduction.)

Pierce the Veil
    Works exactly as advertised
    Initial cost = 287
    Cost per tick = 43

Blood Ritual
    Works exactly as advertised
    Initial cost = 188
    Cost per tick = 28
    Edited by GunnersDream#1109 on 8/3/2013 6:29 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for the great work! How about "mana discount by %" like BR passive?
    It works exactly the opposite as PtV?

Please edit and include BR passive.

That means, -FB is rather terrible as a gear stat.

08/03/2013 01:52 AMPosted by GunnersDream
    So it appears as though you need at least 2 APS to get the full reduction you think you are getting with a SOJ

This is slightly wrong. At APS of 2, you're "hitting" 2 times (4 ticks), so the reduction from the SoJ is still half value only per "hit", or quarter value only per "tick". The initial casting cost is reduced by a quarter value of the -FB item

This means the initial cast is missing three-quarters of the -FB value, and the subsequent channel maintenance is missing half the -FB value.

Blizzard gave terribly misleading tool-tips and gear descriptions! LOL at Blizzard.

I'll have to add this research to my CoB guide, and do some corrections on the "mana discount" and 1H vs 2H.
    Edited by PaulNg#6869 on 8/3/2013 7:32 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Shucks, it's still only 50%. Might be worth bug reporting this again as it massively devalues the gear.
    Reply Quote
    @Surjiak, do you know the procedure or "how to" do the reporting and feedback to Blizzard? If you know, please do it. Can link to this thread also.
    Reply Quote
    Sure, I'll make some time to do it.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    argh I just did a whole list of calculation but it disappeared when I posted it.

but according to my calculation, it is 10 second mana reduction. it is not as clear cut as gunner seems to say it is.

rather than post all my ticks and stuff again, I'll just summarize my findings.

Assuming Nubtro's calculations are right,

at 1.53 APS I got 3.16 ticks per second. at 45 mana regen,
    in 1 second, I should have spent 59.28 mana
    and in 10 seconds, 592.8 mana

I ran the calculation for 10 seconds.

at start of channel = 627 mana
    at 10 second mark my mana left = 149 mana

478 mana spent in 10 seconds = 47.8 mana per second.

59.28 mana - 47.8 mana = 11.48 mana saved per second

I'm not sure why it is slightly higher but probably got to do with the mana regen/ rounding and stuff.

BUT IT IS WITHIN THE 10 MANA REDUCTION THAT IS ON MY SOJ TOOLTIP

tell me if I am doing this wrongly.
    Edited by EremiteAngel#6608 on 8/3/2013 5:52 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    at 1.53 APS I got 3.16 ticks per second. at 45 mana regen,in 1 second, I should have spent 59.28 manaand in 10 seconds, 592.8 mana

If you're hitting 1.5 times per sec, you should be spending 1.5 x 66 mana = 99 mana every sec.
    Let's say 31 ticks in 10 secs, total mana spent = 31 x 66 = 2046 mana

45 regen means, in 10 secs, total mana regen = 450 mana

Your net loss in mana should be (627 + 450) - 2046 = 1077 - 2046 = -969 mana
    You should have OOM long ago. Unless your -FB is doing a miracle, something is very wrong with your numbers or controlled test environment.

08/03/2013 05:50 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
    it is 10 second mana reduction

also, the -FB stat is independent of time, it's not like cooldown of spell, it's a reduction of mana cost per cast.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    each tick is 33 mana only. 31 x 33
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    i did the same test for -12 vog + -10 soj.

without reduction at 58 mana regen = around 47 mana spent per sec

with 22 reduction my mana at start and end after 10 sec gave around 30 mana spent per sec

which is a reduc of 17 mana per sec.

which isn't a 22 lol. guess I am counting this the wrong way =D
    Reply Quote
    08/03/2013 06:57 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
    each tick is 33 mana only. 31 x 33

Let's say 31 ticks in 10 secs, total mana spent = 31 x 33 = 1023 mana

45 regen means, in 10 secs, total mana regen = 450 mana

Your remaining mana should be (627 + 450) - 2046 = 1077 - 1023 = 54 mana

Your remaining mana with the help of -FB = 149 mana
    which means the -FB helped by 149 - 54 over 10 secs, which is 95 mana in 10 secs,
    or 9.5 mana per sec

But, in 1 sec you have 3.16 ticks. so you only got -3FB mana cost per tick.
    That's is still in line with Gunner's calculations of one-quarter FB stat per tick, or half FB stat per cast, definitely no where near -10FB per cast as the gear description suggests.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    if i count it by ticks, then I get the same result as gunners lol. 2.4 per tick with -10 soj and 5. something per tick with -22 reduc gear.

guess i typed so much but said nothing useful in the end lol =D
    Reply Quote
    08/03/2013 07:20 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
    which is a reduc of 17 mana per sec.

17 / 3.12 ticks = 5.45 mana per tick, which is also about one-quarter of your total -22FB. In line with gunner's calculations.
    Reply Quote
    08/03/2013 07:26 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
    guess i typed so much but said nothing useful in the end lol =D

What you did was very useful, you just confirmed the test findings, giving us grounds to get Blizzard's attention to tell them they got their gear stat wrong.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    thx XD and yes I think we need to hammer this into them. or at least word the tooltip clearly.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Thanks for the great work! How about "mana discount by %" like BR passive?
    It works exactly the opposite as PtV?

Please edit and include BR passive.

Sure I'll run some BR numbers tonight.

That means, -FB is rather terrible as a gear stat.

Ya I think that means SOJ for mana reduction isn't worth much unless you are running one hander. My one handed setup is 1.87 APS, so I do get close to the full reduction from the channel, but still don't get squat on the initial cost.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Just as an aside, I had tried running PtV with a Giuya earlier and it didn't work out well at all, but running with a mana regen vision made it very playable.

Guess I know why now.
    Reply Quote
    Ya I think that means SOJ for mana reduction isn't worth much unless you are running one hander. My one handed setup is 1.87 APS, so I do get close to the full reduction from the channel,

This was where I was trying to correct you in my first post.

You don't get near -10 FB. When your APS is 2, you get 4 ticks per sec, so 10 mana reduction in total is still -5FB per cast. Same ratios as your research result.

My post sums up your results, although I'm waiting for the confirmation for BR passive before I update my CoB mechanics and link to your thread.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    08/03/2013 12:11 PMPosted by PaulNg
    Ya I think that means SOJ for mana reduction isn't worth much unless you are running one hander. My one handed setup is 1.87 APS, so I do get close to the full reduction from the channel,

This was where I was trying to correct you in my first post.

You don't get near -10 FB. When your APS is 2, you get 4 ticks per sec, so 10 mana reduction in total is still -5FB per cast. Same ratios as your research result.

My post sums up your results, although I'm waiting for the confirmation for BR passive before I update my CoB mechanics and link to your thread.

I'm not sure I follow. I get almost 4 ticks per second at 1.87 and reduce it 2.2 per tick (I have a -9), so my total reduction per second is close to 8.8 which is almost 9.

Ignoring anything in the frame analysis, I can see how at 2 APS, your channel cost is twice as much, so you could hope the reduction might be twice as much, in which case this would be half what you would hope for.

I never thought it worked like that though. I always assumed it was a reduction per second, so it's pretty close at my APS to what I had originally assumed (except for the initial cast reduction.)

Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, or misunderstanding my own data, but that's how I looked at it.
    Edited by GunnersDream#1109 on 8/3/2013 6:20 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Updated first post with Blood Ritual numbers
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]