Diablo® III

Diablo 2 - Wow!

modded it up to drop legendaries left and right

Yes, because being able to mod your game is nothing like buying your way to the top...

lol

First line OP invalidates his entire argument.

Diablo 2 is REALLY fun (if you fix the legendary drop rates).

Edit: And they're called uniques, dammit.

Though I mostly agree with you, OP. D3's drop rates are pretty bunk, but you still sound like a tool. :)
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 9/6/2013 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just re installed Diablo 2, modded it up to drop legendaries left and right, Lots of fun.

Running around at 60% movement speed -> fun
Not giving myself carpal tunnel from click attack - > fun
Not having to drop more $$$ to dominate - > fun
Actual useful attributes that drop often - > fun
Ability to adjust drops to personal preference - > fun
Fallen syaing Rakanishu all the time - > fun
Gheed's nomadic phallus versus Charsi's Horadric Malus - > fun

Developers need to get back to basics. Biizzard was the best in the world and had the passion for making addicting, well put together games. Profits follow as long as you know what drives the business.

Blizzard is not the best in the world nor do they have the passion for running auction houses. Get back to basics please.

First of all, you are not playing the game as intended, by using mods. I played the hell out of D2, no mods, back in the day, and yeah, it took forever to drop a good unique, but I knew that if I run hell Mephisto enough, I would eventually get something decent. But drop rates on good uniques were still pretty low. So it took a while. But you can't compare using mods in D2 to playing D3 now, without mods. At least not in the since of criticizing D3's low drop rates....because again, D2 had low drop rates too, but you modded it, so it nullifies your argument.

Secondly, to each their own, but I think it's generally accepted by most gamers that being able to own the best items in a few hours is to defeat the purpose of a game in the first place. I mean, maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I consider a good game to have hours upon hours of gameplay before you "beat" it. Are games today just such a temporary fix that we now pay $50-$60 for a couple hours of entertainment? Is that what the gaming community has come to now? I certainly hope not. But that's why Diablo was so good, because you would spend so many hours looking for that good drop and then you finally get it and you want to keep playing even more to find the next one. (Also, this is where D3 currently falls short. You spend hours and hours to farm gold, to then just buy it from someone else, a bot most likely)

Third, I have spent $0 on my characters (Diablo 2 and 3), and I feel like my wiz at least has decent gear. I can at least survive/farm MP10 Inferno ok. Not the BEST gear, but decent. It takes many many hours. No you will not get it in one evening of playing the game for the first time like with your D2 mods. But again, I guess that's just what some gamers have come to expect with instant-gratifying games? Dunno. I think most people would agree that buying a game for $60 and then beating it in a couple hours, finding all the best items would be absolutely boring. Maybe you're trying to satisfy an itch with the wrong kind of game? Maybe Call of Duty would be more your speed? Just a suggestion.
Reply Quote
Oh and Fourth, I guess I should have included this part too. People still spent money back in D2. So you could technically buy your way to the top then, too. I guess I'm talking with the idea that "if you didn't spend money". But that, again, its the direction a lot of games are going now a days. Micro-transactions, DLC, etc.

D3 has problems, im not arguing that. But to compare it to playing D2 with mods is kind of an unfair comparison.
Reply Quote
Maybe I'm misremembering but I dont recall uniques/sets being a problem for drops in D2.
Reply Quote
Get back to me after your 1000th Baal run.
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 12:23 PMPosted by Darkseid

Done.

2x Griphon's Eye (-19/+13 and 1 unidentified for trading purposes)
1x Crown of Ages (2 skills 1 socket)
4x Sur (On my mule so I counted them)
5x Ohm (On my mule so I counted)
2x Lo (On my mule so I counted)
3x Vex (On my mule so I counted)
10x Harlequin's Crest (From memory: I have 5 on my mules right now)
5x Eschuta's Temper (One was ethereal, best was 19 lightning 20 fire 3 skills) (4 unid on mule)
8x Gheed's Fortune (Best was 36 MF; From memory: Always kept the best one)
3x Occulus (From memory: Stored one on each of two sorcs and dropped one on the ground and left)
4x Titan's Revenge (Didn't bother to pick them up; All non-eth)
2x Herald of Zakarum (155% and 170%)
2x Stone of Jordan (Using them both)
1x Bul-Khato's Weeding Band 4% (Gave away)
#x Nature's Peace (Kept two and have sold multiple)
2x Mara's Kaleidoscope 22 and 24 (Just vendored both)
2x The Cat's Eye (Kept both)
4x Highlord's Wrath (Kept 3)
1x Nightwing's Veil 15% (On my Frost Nova sorc)
4x Ravenfrost (2 on mule, two in use)

Individual items I kept:
1x Windforce (for my mercenary)
1x 432% Enhanced Damage rare bow
1x 277% Enhanced Damage rare claw with Fools mod
1x Rare Circlet 2 paladin skills +20% faster cast rate 14% resist all
1x Rare Circlet 2 necromancer skills +20% faster cast rate
1x Rare Circlet 2 barbarian skills +20% faster run speed and Visionary mod
1x 5 open socket Rune Master 266% enhanced damage
1x 4 socket Diamond Bow 15% enhanced damage
1x 4 socket Gorgon Crossbow 15% enhanced damage
1x Rare Amulet 2 paladin skills 10% faster cast rate 17% resist all
1x Rare Gloves 20% increased attack speed +2 to bow and crossbow skills +12 dexterity

... and that is only from memory and looking at two mules.
I gave away a lot of stuff and have a lot of stuff on other mules.

Oh.
This includes Chaos Santuary, and sometimes Mephisto.
Am I disqualified?
Edited by Frostraven#1952 on 9/6/2013 12:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

pwned

pwned? How? Where? When? Because he moded his OWN game, that is COMPLETELY seperated from EVERYONE ELSE? That equalys a situation where someone spends REAL MONEY to buy stuff in a game? Must have missed something here ...

Diablo 2 had a mod community. And it had some DAMN awesome mods. And the best of it? it didnt affect the online experience!

How much modding does Diablo 3 support? None. Heh.

+1
Reply Quote

Done.

5x Eschuta's Temper (One was ethereal, best was 19 lightning 20 fire 3 skills) (4 unid on mule)
3x Occulus (From memory: Stored one on each of two sorcs and dropped one on the ground and left)

Individual items I kept:
1x Rare Gloves 20% increased attack speed +2 to bow and crossbow skills +12 dexterity

Oh.
Am I disqualified?

Nice botting list. You found 5 ohm runes? You are full of !@#$ starting right there..
Edited by Darkseid#1151 on 9/6/2013 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just re installed Diablo 2, modded it up to drop legendaries left and right, Lots of fun.

Running around at 60% movement speed -> fun
Not giving myself carpal tunnel from click attack - > fun
Not having to drop more $$$ to dominate - > fun
Actual useful attributes that drop often - > fun
Ability to adjust drops to personal preference - > fun
Fallen syaing Rakanishu all the time - > fun
Gheed's nomadic phallus versus Charsi's Horadric Malus - > fun

Developers need to get back to basics. Biizzard was the best in the world and had the passion for making addicting, well put together games. Profits follow as long as you know what drives the business.

Blizzard is not the best in the world nor do they have the passion for running auction houses. Get back to basics please.

This is why (link below) Blizzard sold millions of copies. This is also why blizzard keeps weaning us along acting like they truly intend to fix this game, but from there actions over the last year and a half it says otherwise. The fact that they took the PC developers away just to work on the console is a huge slap in the face. They had no intention on fixing the PC game this year, instead they did us worse. They made the console edition better than the pc edition. If they couldn't release 1.5 on both then the console should have waited till we got loot 2.0 to get it's loot 1.5

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569388160

But the main reason why we havn't gotten or will get an update to the pc version is because of their game plan. This is why they couldn't release it with anything less than better loot.

09/01/2013 11:17 PMPosted by Drothvader
If you kept D3's current loot model with the console version NOBODY would play it.
Edited by rambuster#1868 on 9/6/2013 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
its amazing how many people like OP don't understand how the longevity of a game plummets if you are able to instantly become super overpowered. He claims its fun but lets see if he is playing his cheated d2 a month from now.
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 02:03 PMPosted by Saurøn
its amazing how many people like OP don't understand how the longevity of a game plummets if you are able to instantly become super overpowered. He claims its fun but lets see if he is playing his cheated d2 a month from now.

People play hacked Gran thef auto's and diablo's all the time. Its actually fun to run around op all the time. This is why d3 sucks, the end game is so hard to get. It shouldn't be that way. If you decide that you want a challenge then just downgrade you gear. Thats all there is to it. There should always be an easy option to be op in any game. You can always increase the difficulty yourself by downgrading your gear. If you have a problem with that, then that's no ones fault but your own. Just cause you wont degrade you gear doesn't give blizzard the right to take away any OP end game. I hate when people complain that its to easy, downgrade you gear and say that again.
Edited by rambuster#1868 on 9/6/2013 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Darkseid

Done.

Individual items I kept:

Oh.
Am I disqualified?

Nice botting list. You found 5 ohm runes? You are full of !@#$ starting right there..

Not even botting.
And yes, 5 ohms.

If you didn't know, effective farming in 6-8 player games yields one high rune per 5-8 hours on average.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Death Knight
09/06/2013 02:08 PMPosted by rambuster

People play hacked Gran thef auto's and diablo's all the time. Its actually fun to run around op all the time. This is why d3 sucks, the end game is so hard to get. It shouldn't be that way. If you decide that you want a challenge then just downgrade you gear. Thats all there is to it. There should always be an easy option to be op in any game. You can always increase the difficulty yourself by downgrading your gear. If you have a problem with that, then that's no ones fault but your own. Just cause you wont degrade you gear doesn't give blizzard the right to take away any OP end game. I hate when people complain that its to easy, downgrade you gear and say that again.

Bro, have you considered just becoming good? When I was on softcore I sucked too, and died all the time in nightmare. When I tried hardcore, I had to be more intentional and careful with my development and since then its been easy. Inferno is supposed to be hard. It is the end game, it was supposed to be for dedicated players who wanted a supreme challenge. I was in act 2 inferno before they nerfed it last summer. Now every stage of the game feels the same. Its just like they added numbers to stats of players and monsters so that we have the illusion that we have advanced. People who are bad like you and cry about it being too hard have made the game less varied.

I know the feeling of obliterating waves of enemies. It is really fun. However, this is perfectly possible to do with the current loot drops.
Reply Quote
View profile
Titan's Revenge
Bartuc's Cut-Throat
Homunculus
Arreat's Face
The Oculus
Jalal's Mane
Herald Of Zakarum
Vampire Gaze
Skin of the Vipermagi
Shaftstop
Lidless Wall
Waterwalk
Silkweave
War Traveler
Gore Rider
String of Ears
Thundergod's Vigor
Bloodfist
Magefist
Frostburn
Arm of King Leoric

This is a list of items commonly used for endgame pve and pvp in D2

Every single item on this list dropped in NIGHTMARE mode

Some endgame items that dropped in hell mode were VERY common (such as Harlequin Crest, Sandstorm Trek, Wizardspike
Reply Quote
View profile
Forgot about Trang-Oul's Claws

ALL of these items dropped like rain if you did hell meph runs
Reply Quote
View profile
or even nm baal runs
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Zwarlock
Median XL by Brother Laz is the best D2 mod out there.

What I been trying to say to these apparent mod haters, and like I've said a lot of the itemization changes upcoming were ideas from Laz and his mod. I like Hell's Unleashed better though because it still preserves a lot of D2. Median XL is like a whole different game all together...changed too much of the skills IMO. It's a great mod don't get me wrong, but I like the familiar HU better

09/06/2013 02:03 PMPosted by Saurøn

And it's amazing how all of you can comment on the damn mod w/o even playing it.

For the third time legendaries raining down will NOT help you advance. only in the beginning. Legendary in this game is the new rare.

Crafted 4 socketed gear > sets > legendary / rare

The drop rates NEED to be like this or it would be very very hard to advance. It is fun because it's MUCH more challenging, you need to really think about your gear selection in order to advance. I have to regear as we speak to beat Baals' minions. Worldstone + bosses + CoD to Baal can take you hours! There's so many unique boss encounters that force you to use a variety of gear that it's not even funny! This is especially true in the multiplayer version.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]