Diablo® III

Why?

Farming gold for hours on end gets tiring. Especially with prices so unreasonably high in the Auction Houses. Better drops would be nice, but more crafting options would be great too. Crafting an item that has 6 random properties isn't always that great when when three of those are strength, intelligence, and dexterity.
Reply Quote
*edit* I'm interested in everyone's feedback on this subject, so feel free to chime in even if you're not the op.

I have several hundred hours of gameplay put in, and the best item I've ever found sold for 40mil. I am at the point now where my gear is just good enough so that I will likely never get something to drop that is better than what I have, and I can not afford to buy an upgrade off the AH unless I spend real cash, or spend another several hundred hours farming gold (to afford one piece of gear "worth" a billion gold.)
This dilemma makes me feel like there really isn't any reason to continue playing the game.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for a little clarification. Would you like for a very high end weapon to specifically drop, or would it be ok if you obtained one of these weapons through another method? (crafting as an example) Is it the item itself, or the financial wealth that is more appealing to you?

who cares about financial wealth in itself? The only reason currency exists in this game is to turn it into gear...
as for whether it matters if gear is obtained through crafting or drops, crafting is STILL governed by financial wealth. Gear dropping from an enemy is the only way to get it that is not tied to having money, and the drop rates on *decent* legendaries are so horrid that playing this game at all gives a feeling of desparity for those who will NOT use the RMAH.
Reply Quote
My Point:
It is damn near imposable to gather enough gold to be able to afford atleast one item worth billion and up by playing the game. With 2 million kills I never found an item that was worth more then 200 million. I refuse to use real money but I do want to own atleast 1 item that is considered elite by getting it legit.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for a little clarification. Would you like for a very high end weapon to specifically drop, or would it be ok if you obtained one of these weapons through another method? (crafting as an example) Is it the item itself, or the financial wealth that is more appealing to you?

*edit* I'm interested in everyone's feedback on this subject, so feel free to chime in even if you're not the op.

crafting is all well and good, but we already have crafting that can get you some really sick weapons. problem is that you either need a few bil to invest into the crafting to get a good one, or some third party software i hear rumors about. i have neither and im unlikely to ever do have either.

instead give us time invested rewards for weapon crafting. something of a combination between the hellfire ring and essence crafting.

you start out by doing something in the game that gets you the base mats to craft the base item itself.

giving you the option to get either of the weapon types and your preferd mainstat.

after that is where you should start collecting crafting mats. the bind on account type.

have some special type of mats that you have to work for, but please do it in a better way than essences which is just annoying, farming vault of assassins in mp7-8 is boring as hell.

once you got the base item you can start adding stats to it with the mats you collected.
first you have to roll the stats untill you get what you want.
(my guess is everyone and their mother is going for lifesteal, socket, critdmg and dps modifiers)

after that you can start using a different mat to randomize the values of the stats.

oh and while you are at it, mind making all damage types equal? fire dmg on weapons looks badass. sadly elemental types seem to only be able to roll very low rolls on anything other than legendary items.
just black dmg gets boring.
Reply Quote
Pretty simple really, in d2 I could find a plethora of things to trade for smaller currency or medium currency to build up wealth to aquire higher end items pretty successfully. In d3 I haven't found a single item worth over 5m over 100 runs or so, if I was consistently finding mid tier items to trade off and build up wealth I could care less if I ever found a godly drop. Currently I would have to sell items for 500k-10m or so and take months to build up a few billion to buy something I deem a worthy upgrade. I found shakos', vamp gazes, arrests, titans and so many more items in d2 that were tradeable and built up my wealth. I can't find a damn thing to put on the auction house in d3 anymore, no one wants the crap I'm finding.

Pretty simple.
Reply Quote
My Point:
It is damn near imposable to gather enough gold to be able to afford atleast one item worth billion and up by playing the game. With 2 million kills I never found an item that was worth more then 200 million. I refuse to use real money but I do want to own atleast 1 item that is considered elite by getting it legit.

account bound -> supports players who invest time in the game
not account bound (doesn't matter if found or crafted) -> supports botters and those who don't really play the game

and a good item itself is more of a trophy than any amount of gold
but don't make good items easy to get, you have to find the sweet spot where it's still reachable but not everyone has it
Reply Quote
My Point:

Honestly, I couldn't care less how devalued gold is if playing the game rewarded me enough : finding interesting items, finding crafting materials to create new items and enhance items I already have, making my character more powerful and more unique, etc.

Actually, if playing the game was rewarding, then I think the economy would be much better since players wouldn't HAVE to go to the AH to find anything of interest.

What disturbs me with the increased gold stacks is the way you do it, especially since people are putting real money in this game, so you're basically scamming the ones who got gold in the last few days. I have 300M in my account for a while now (haven't played much in the past month or so), and it's been devaluating A LOT, it's very lame. But the lamest thing is how shallow the game is right now.
Reply Quote
07/30/2013 04:06 PMPosted by Mythologick
I found shakos', vamp gazes, arrests, titans and so many more items in d2 that were tradeable and built up my wealth. I can't find a damn thing to put on the auction house in d3 anymore, no one wants the crap I'm finding.

You're finding Shakos', Vam gazes, Arrests, etc in D3 right now, except since the AH exists you can now see that everyone is finding the same thing, so what you're finding is not worth much.

In D2 everyone found the same stuff, but since the AH didn't exist, other people's drops weren't easily accessible.

The existence of the AH's created a problem that could maybe have existed in D2 if it had an AH too.

Now, items in D3 are uninteresting and uninspiring, and Blizzard is working towards making them better. We can only hope they don't screw up (I doubt they will get it right at first try though, tweaking will be needed after loot 2.0 IMHO, and that's normal).
Reply Quote
Well.. Regarding items, it is totally fine whether its crafting, looting.

The roll ranges have too wide of a gap.

C'mon, when that 1 same weapon can have 300-700 difference in DPS rolls, it makes everything really irritating after awhile. At least reward the player if they found a nice legendary weapon, the DPS rolls are really disgusting to look at.

Makes me wanna puke everytime I find a rare weapon with 280+ DPS and the rest of the rolls are good. How about the Butcher's Sickle? I cringe everytime I roll one.
Reply Quote
My Point:

I have a question. Where do these responses to your question go to? I mean seriously, why do blue post responds with question? Like even in the main homepage you guys do polls, and for what? To me it feels like it is just for giggles, which is not amusing and quite frankly quite insulting
Reply Quote
View profile
My Point:

its the item itself. both drops and crafting are equally as bad.

have you tried crafting? there use to be lots of videos that people would throw up showing just how many crafts they had to go through to even get something decent. im not even saying that it was an upgrade, just that it could sell for a fair price. the only good crafts are the new BOA items. the item rolls in the crafting system need to be retooled imo.
example:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/exalted-fine-crag-hammer
this has (+5 random rolls). the likelyhood of you getting the necessary damage + a socket (its junk without one and we all know it) and ideally +crit damage is very very low. let alone even thinking about mainstats or lifesteal. some of the "RNG" needs to be minimized. not completely taken out but reduced.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/earthshatter#best
this is a legendary. obviously its got a selection of preset stats. this is the kind of thing that needs to be done with all items.

so in the above example of the rare (+5 random) maybe something like below. obviously this still leaves a lot of room for RNG but it helps out substantially by giving ppl a damage roll.
+25%-50% damage
+4 Random

As far as the dropped items I really wish I could find upgrades through drops. The way the system is tuned though it seems impossible.
Reply Quote
Would you like for a very high end weapon to specifically drop, or would it be ok if you obtained one of these weapons through another method? (crafting as an example) Is it the item itself, or the financial wealth that is more appealing to you?

I am fairly new to the game, and have hit an upgrade wall, anything to upgrade my monk in the AH is going to take me ages to grind for gold & sell able items to get an upgrade. I would rather find my next item, this is present in the 0 to 60 level progression, but vanishes when you get to paragon levels.

I think the roll ranges for legendary items is to wide. They have too much variety and this causes even the best item to be horrible if the roll is bad (e.g. weapon with low/average DPS, no socket, and no CC or CD).
I think the drop rate for legendary items should be reduced, but the random attributes to select from a range of useful attributes (only put the ones no one wants on normal & rare items).
To compensate for the reduced drops, increase the drop rate of plans so crafting can fill the gap.
This will make legendary drops more exciting and less brim.
Reply Quote
07/30/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Grimiku

i rather have the item then the 'wealth'
the current boa craft is one of the best things currently.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
I don't want to sidetrack the conversation to much, but one of the things I'm seeing repeated in this thread (and others) is that the stat range in gear has to wide of a gap. That's one of the specific itemization adjustments that developers have been spending time on, and would influence the item hunt in a positive way.
Reply Quote
07/30/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Grimiku

The problem isn't what I want, it's what I get. Everyone wants the same thing, not everyone gets what they want.

I don't mind getting a piece of gear that I can use but isn't a godmode upgrade for my character. In some instances I get something and I'm like "Huh, I didn't even know I wanted this until I got it." But the way the current system is at and where it seems to be headed (nowhere for the next 6 months in all honesty), I never find anything I can use for my Monk (The last item I found for my monk was my pants and that was 4 months ago). The problem with getting what I want is that I won't find it and that every time I get about ready to afford something on the GAH that IS considered an upgrade, suddenly prices go through the roof or the gear disappears entirely from the GAH and I'm forced to use the RMAH. I have purchased one or two things on the RMAH and I'll never do it again because of how I felt after the purchase. I want to play my games and currently I can't even hope to get a piece of loot that will be an upgrade if I play. Even crafting sucks, I've used tons of DEs and still end up with the same crap, it's just not fun or motivating any more.

Case in point - I finally got 2b gold once upon a time through a LOT of saving and I finally was able to afford the Mempo you currently see on my Monk. Literally 2 weeks after I bought this mempo the gold dupe happened with the 10m RMAH switch and EVERYTHING like this disappeared from the GAH. This was my only success story, and as you can see it's not even close to being considered "great" by mempo standards.

Now that gold is 50m and WILL drop to 25 cents because it always has once a new cap is implemented, There's no way I'll ever be able to afford a piece of gear that would be considered a good upgrade for my character because prices will shoot up since gold will be super cheap. In my time playing I've only found one single piece out of 13 that I would consider even using end-game. It just isn't fun.

Edit - In all honesty what I would like to see are craftable and WORTHWHILE legendary crafts that are BOA and compete with current legendaries. And I'm talking crafts that require 100+ brimstones, 100m gold, hundreds of tears and essences, and maybe even some other legendary item as a requirement. That's how you'll sink gold. Something people can look forward to as a useful item with guaranteed stats (goes back to your comment about wide stat ranges) and genuine usefulness.
Edited by Imasock#1502 on 7/30/2013 5:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/30/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Grimiku
I don't want to sidetrack the conversation to much, but one of the things I'm seeing repeated in this thread (and others) is that the stat range in gear has to wide of a gap. That's one of the specific itemization adjustments that developers have been spending time on, and would influence the item hunt in a positive way.

The problem Grimiku is not just really the gap stats wise:

The "power" our char possess comes solely from gear whereas it should've been mixed with customization systems outside the gear hunt, one's that you can use gold to get. You know... grinding game, RPG.
So, if you want to become powerful you have to play the game not the GAH/RMAH. We need this equation gear = power to be reinvented. We can't solely depend on gear to provide us power. It cheapens the RPG experience.

Edit: I'm not advocating for the return of skill trees, nor stats alocation. Quite franquly, the way the game's designed it would be pointless. It wouldn't add choice. What I truly want is more choice and more uniqueness on how I build my char and how it turns out.

You guys at blizz (technically Blizz North) invented a whole new genre of games with the Diablo branch. I think you people are quite capable of putting up new customization systems. Systems that appeal for both casual players and gives the depth that we more hardcore, D2 vets want. So far hardcore people have come with the short end of the stick. This game is an awesome action game, aesthetically unique (I prefer D2 but I don't dislike D3's looks at all), but it severly lacks the R.P.G. that made Diablo games distinguish themselves from the rest.
Edited by Ravlaor#1393 on 7/30/2013 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Gear=Power isn't bad. Making items "better" by making the numbers higher is bad. It completely defeats the purpose of collecting items, i.e. do something new. A side effect of this is that it's impossible for endgame items to be commonplace.

In D2, endgame viable items were everywhere (some were common drops, some were duped, but the fact was they were commonplace). How did this work without breaking the difficulty? There were so many different endgame viable items, each one catering to only one or a few builds (though there are obvious exceptions), that even with their fairly common drop rate (and cheap trade rates), it was still hard to put together a build, since you found lots of great items but they weren't always good for you. With D3, nobody finds great items since the same items are great for everybody. If everybody found great items in D3, you'd have all possible builds perfected in a week or two.

In most MMOs, identical items with higher stats is a workable policy, because you can't handle later content without high stat gear. Thus, finding items with higher numbers but identical use gives you access to more content.

Diablo isn't an MMO. It has limited content. In Diablo, you see all of the game when you finish normal (maybe Hell if you nitpick about more skills to use). So finding items that only make your character better is useless. The content of Diablo has always been your character, not what your character is doing.

I don't want to find an item that's identical to what I've already got (but with higher numbers). I want to find an item that lets me do something that was previously impossible.

The primary D2 examples are 0skills and items with huge bonuses to individual skills, which were unequaled by the generic equivalent, such as a Death's Fathom compared to an Occy. Plus only to cold skills, and % cold damage, compared to + to all sorceress skills. In D3, essentially everyone's stuck with the Occy. Genericly good for all builds, but not interesting. We need less items that are good for EVERYONE, and more items that are only good for one possible build for a given class. (Honestly, the old droppable rune system might have done this pretty well, who knows)
Reply Quote
CM Qns:-

Drops must always be the BIS. Else farming = materials (e.g. Essence) for crafting only. I'll be bored after a while.

Crafting = second tier for BIS while farming for BIS.
Edited by Fireblade#1295 on 7/30/2013 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]