Diablo® III

Why?

@Blue

I want the high end weapon drop as loot, not via crafting or other methods. (other methods like re-roll the item, adding additional affix are "enhancement", not the same "feel" as you got it from the drop)

I think the main problem is the "random". The random currently owns the game.

If I put it into perspective, imagine the random is now tune to opposite of the current extreme to drop all the god like, high level items as frequent as we getting crap.

Did you see the points?

Extreme Random becomes an frustrating experience instead of adding flavor of spike excitement to the gaming experience.

So, you might want to tame the random engine to a more logical position rather than current extreme end of 1% in the Bell curve.
Reply Quote
Before the items should be powerful to a character they should be interesting.

and the phrase "interesting" should equal "powerful in some way. to some class to some build to some character strength.

and the same goes for skills. they should not be ranked from best to worst. they should all have interest to certain perspectives or character designs.

and the same with specs. not just lined up from most damage/legendaries to least. they should have spikes of interest.

what would those subjects of interest be?
thats for the game designers to decide. thats were they succeed or fail.

Everquest gave us Healers tanks damage classes. obviously this was a powerful template.

in order for things to be admirable it seems that they should most likely become more intricate and complex.

diablo 3

REMOVED alot of complexity

from Diablo 2, Titan Quest , etc.. obviously it gave things back in other aspects...but let me ask you:

What good was there in removing the horadric cube and the massive list of interesting items available that probably took time energy and money to think up and code into the game?

EDIT: i wonder if other older games did Tank classes...or "crowd control"

meridian 59?

Ultima?

i heard about it in about '98-'99 ish......
Edited by Shurgosa#1196 on 7/30/2013 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@ Grimiku
My Point:
It is damn near imposable to gather enough gold to be able to afford atleast one item worth billion and up by playing the game. With 2 million kills I never found an item that was worth more then 200 million. I refuse to use real money but I do want to own atleast 1 item that is considered elite by getting it legit.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for a little clarification. Would you like for a very high end weapon to specifically drop, or would it be ok if you obtained one of these weapons through another method? (crafting as an example) Is it the item itself, or the financial wealth that is more appealing to you?

*edit* I'm interested in everyone's feedback on this subject, so feel free to chime in even if you're not the op.

What you need to do to fix things is to regulate the AH and change it from being a flip house into an actual trading mechanism. Impose some boundaries, and rules.

The AH is currently ruled by the no life AH tycoons. If you folks would at the very least begin to enforce your own TOU, you'd go a long way in solving many of the issues you created.
Edited by Otis#1467 on 7/30/2013 6:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My Point:
It is damn near impossible to gather enough gold to be able to afford atleast one item worth billion and up by playing the game. With 2 million kills I never found an item that was worth more then 200 million. I refuse to use real money but I do want to own atleast 1 item that is considered elite by getting it legit.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for a little clarification. Would you like for a very high end weapon to specifically drop, or would it be ok if you obtained one of these weapons through another method? (crafting as an example) Is it the item itself, or the financial wealth that is more appealing to you?

*edit* I'm interested in everyone's feedback on this subject, so feel free to chime in even if you're not the op.

I've been playing since release - that's a little more than 14 months. It took 10 months of playing to find my first set item. I've gotten about 11 legendaries, none of which sold for more than 100K - and that was only a couple of them. A few months ago, my then level 20 character found a legendary item for a level 10 character.

I take and sell everything I find. I open all chests and break all vases/urns, pickup all gear, etc. I'm also active in the GAH. With that, most gold I ever had was around 7-8 million.

I can't afford the top of the line gem because that requires 20 million gold; and removing it costs 5 million - really? A few days ago, I decided to upgrade my DH. I couldn't do it because I couldn't afford the prices of the items I needed.

I recently upgraded 5 Topaz (intelligence) gems for my mage/sorceress to increase her DPS; and purchased a few items to upgrade her gear. I'm now down to less then 4 million gold (from a little over 6 million I started with).

Tried to craft some gear recently. After crafting 10 gloves; 10 helms, and 10 boots, I had 2 pieces of armor with Int on it - and only one was higher than the items she was wearing.

So, finding items doesn't work that well, if at all. Crafting gear and gems is expensive. Things don't sell on the AH even when I drop prices below what an items should sell for.

I guess I could try and flip items, but I want to play a game to enjoy myself - not be tied to an AH so I can afford items.

I used to play a lot, but have cut back on my hours because the question I can't answer is: "Why am I playing this game?"

The fun and enjoyment have left the building.
Reply Quote
07/30/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Grimiku
I don't want to sidetrack the conversation to much, but one of the things I'm seeing repeated in this thread (and others) is that the stat range in gear has to wide of a gap. That's one of the specific itemization adjustments that developers have been spending time on, and would influence the item hunt in a positive way

no sidetracking at all if you're speaking the truth and acknowledging it. so long as this does infact get to the developers it's already a win.
Reply Quote
frankly. you should simply split up gears.

a) set of boa crafting gear
b) set of drop gears = tradable
c) set of drop gears = boa

we can make this like

a) set of boa crafting gear (earrings, medals, badges, neckerchief, underwear, tattoos)

b) set of ah-able gear ( what we currently have, helm, chest, pants, shoes,bracers, etc)

c) set of boa drop gears (charms. pets, mounts , weapon poisons, runes etc)

so that there is the categories are basically non compete. (eg: introducing new crafting gear tiers doesn't suddenly invalid the ah. or ah prices don't suddenly invalidate craftables)

then you can put power weightages .

eg: the set of B will henceforth only contribute 20% of the player's total power/mit/sustain output

the set of A/C will introduce new affixes that are generally non compete/non synergising with set B
(essentially no synergy with cc/cdmg,. but you possibly can't help synergising with ias, unless you do it as x times per second.)

eg of set A item/ Tattoo of the Juggernaut : 10% chance of becoming invulnerable/dealing 1 mil damage in an 16 yd explosion for 4 seconds each time you get hit, (+ other stats)

Underwear of dreams : 10% chance of gaining an additional legendary drop if a legendary drops for you. (+ other stats)

for the set of B, you can even give self found bonuses (eg: self found gear gain a +primary/secondary stat bonus of 1-15%), but once you trade/drop/ah it., that bonus is gone
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/30/2013 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I don't want to sidetrack the conversation to much, but one of the things I'm seeing repeated in this thread (and others) is that the stat range in gear has to wide of a gap. That's one of the specific itemization adjustments that developers have been spending time on, and would influence the item hunt in a positive way.

Could you elaborate on this point, please?

Are you referring to raising the "quality" of loot by raising the threshold to 75% of the items current stat power or are you referring to the gap in which stats have an astronomical effect on DPS.

These two problems are not one in the same. One problem is created by such a huge pool of possible rolls, and the other is based on how well attributes such as Critical Hit Chance, Critical Hit Damage, and Increased Attack Speed (CHC, CHD, IAS) interact with each other.

It's one thing to fix the wide chasm that is stat rolls, but another to address the issue with IAS, CHD, and CHC feeding off of each other for significant increases in power.

For example, CHC is worthless without CHD, and vice versa, but putting both together could potentially increase your DPS by as much as 10,000%

I will agree that fixing the rolls is a great start, but the interaction between the trifecta needs to be addressed. Simply adding new and powerful attributes will not solve this issue if they don't create new synergies that can trump the CHC, CHD, and IAS trifecta.
Reply Quote
Sirry for not being detailed, but the AH killed the fun of D3. A direct excuse, for example, I read an answer from someone that works/worked at blizzard that addressed mods for d3 like WoW has. His response was "no other diablo had that, so it won't be implemented." But there is an AH. There is online play only.

Another point was that someone said "I know legendaries are supposed to be rare.." yet these rare and elite items no one can find exist in a plethora of pages on the AH. Why farm when you can spend money and save yourself literally hundreds of hours? The drop rates, quality of items and replay value are destroyed simply because of the AH and the AH exists because of $$$$$. Plain and simple. We aren't stupid. The majority of people playing aren't kids, they're adults and diablo isn't CoD.

Sorry for any typos, I am on a phone.
Reply Quote
We should copy and paste silverfire writing in every posts! What a good insight and summary. This is the attitude people should have, when commenting. We need to keep this game alive and fun
Reply Quote
View profile
My Point:
It is damn near imposable to gather enough gold to be able to afford atleast one item worth billion and up by playing the game. With 2 million kills I never found an item that was worth more then 200 million. I refuse to use real money but I do want to own atleast 1 item that is considered elite by getting it legit.

Either way would be nice. I am in a rut myself as I have tri-fecta gloves that wont sell, even when well under others with the same stats, nor will anything. No one can afford nice items let alone really nice items just by playing the game nor do they get anything worth it in drops.

Crafting would be nice. Got my amulet, gloves and shoulders from it but the biggest problem is the usless affixes. For example, since there is a MF/GF cap now then why do they get that as an affix? Some should be taken out from the crafting ones.

As well, I still get very few items for my class as was said in an update. I did get a Skorn, but it had 300+ Dex. Because we all know monks and DH want Skorns, right?

Honestly its a mess and the items need massive reworks and we need the ability to get items in drops, crafting or the GAH/RMAH as it would allow for more choice. As it stands now, the only way is the GAH (which is near unaffordable) or the RMAH which not everyone wants to funnel money into a game that already cost $60 bucks and has no real content updates as of yet.
Reply Quote

Personally I prefer to find it drop. When I use the AH to primarily upgrade my gear, there's no excitement there, there's no thrill of finding that godly item that the game thrives on. The problem in the game is NOT that we don't get that Godly item, it's that you just feel like the odds are overwhelmingly out of your favor that you ever will.

In D2, the system was simple: You had two rolls that had to collide, one for the item level (Normal vs Hell vs Nightmare), and one for the magic level (rare vs legendary). You could see how close you were to getting that godly item. It was still incredibly rare to get a godly item, but you always felt like you were close.

In D3, you needs to roll item level, magic level, and then get 4-5 rolls right on the affixes to get a godly item. So you might get the item level and magic level (i.e. roll a legendary), but you're still only 1/100th of the way there, and so it just is continual disappointment.

I made a suggestion in this thread to resolve the issue:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/9551455092#1

Basically, create a new class of items that has a higher change of being Godly, but make them drop as BoA (see the part on Hellforged). The way it might alleviate these people's concerns is that it brings back that D2 feeling of having the CHANCE to roll a Godly item, but at the same time keeps them out of the AH.

Lastly, on the topic of crafted items, I prefer that there not be any more godly/BiS items that can be made from craftables, like the 4 patterns added in the recent patch. The reason is simple: Crafting is just a glorified gambling system. For gambling, you go out and acquire gold and sink that gold in the once in a blue moon chance you get something good. Crafting is no different, just replace gold with gold + mats.

It's fine to have a crafting/gambling system in place, so long as it is supplementary to the game. Because when crafting becomes the primary goal of your character, then what you are doing is grinding, not playing, and this game shouldn't be about grinding. No one will get excited that a Demonic Essence dropped, no one will keep playing the game for hours on end to buff their bracers by 3 strength, or get one more gambling roll.
Reply Quote
crafting is awesome it doesn't produce top gg but it's pretty damn good on average. The one thing I hate about it is there are to many variables. If someone is going to spend 500-800 mil on something and not get anything worthy they feel cheated. some people are lucky yes but majority are not. I rather shell out 500m gold to craft something where I can choose my affixes and it roll at minimum something decent. it would be less stressful knowing at least 500 mil didn't go to waste but still that chance to get something awesome!.

I think that's how it should be done for crafting. I've crafted like hundreds of bracers and shoulders and it's frustrating to keep getting crap.
Reply Quote
My Point:

we want them to drop, grinding for 20 to 30 hours to still not pick anything decent up is more preferred to better crafting, whats the point of crafting a good weapon without at least working for it?
Reply Quote
My Point:

I like the crafting system, but it is much more thrilling to find an awesome drop (weapon or other slot).

If the Devs do what Travis Day is suggesting and they narrow the band of possible stat rolls so that items are inherently more powerful, and slightly more rare, I am not sure how I will feel. This will certainly make it easier for people to move up through the monster powers, and it will keep very high stat rolls rare. That sounds like a win-win, but the catch is that it doesn't fundamentally change the narrow selection of skill choices available for each character.

I want items that make me want to change my build or roll a new class to try something unique... I know the Devs say they are working on this problem, but unless Travis Day is doing some amazing, un-heard-of things with the game development then I have little hope. As of right now we have gotten nothing besides "we are thinking about", "we have considered", "we like the idea of", ect.

In my opinion, the BEST thing the Devs/CMs can do right now is be more open about the development process. We don't care if every single iteration makes it through to the live game. We just want to know what the heck you guys ARE doing, for better or for worse.

P.s. - Crafting does solve a lot of the economic problems currently facing the game... that's a huge bonus. No one has to worry about grinding 10billion gold to buy 1 piece of gear if they can craft a potentially amazing piece of gear for a couple of million.
Edited by Stella#1923 on 7/30/2013 7:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There are too many silly useless affixes on loots and crafted items.

Everyone is looking for a few key stats. CC, CD, iAS, Avg Dmg, AR, armor, Main Stats. Majority of the other stats are useless. While WD uses health globe and PUR...thats pretty much it...

I rolled about 600 ammys over the past couple of weeks, and a handful rolled 3 of the following - CC, CD, iAS, Avg Dmg, AR, armor. The stats are all really low and unusable. (5 cc, 40% cd, 6 - 18 avg dmg) I have seen it all.

Either get rid of useless affixes or make them useful.
Edited by Killua#1993 on 7/30/2013 7:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for a little clarification. Would you like for a very high end weapon to specifically drop, or would it be ok if you obtained one of these weapons through another method? (crafting as an example) Is it the item itself, or the financial wealth that is more appealing to you?*edit* I'm interested in everyone's feedback on this subject, so feel free to chime in even if you're not the op.

I think what he is trying to say is, that everyone seems missing here is, no matter how long you grind you never find any item that has worth. Be it for sale or for equip of your player. With all his efforts the only reward he wants would be to obtain 1 solitary item from within the game as a godly item without having to purchase it.

I think many have asked for this with different words.
Reply Quote
I don't want to sidetrack the conversation to much, but one of the things I'm seeing repeated in this thread (and others) is that the stat range in gear has to wide of a gap. That's one of the specific itemization adjustments that developers have been spending time on, and would influence the item hunt in a positive way.
The stat range is definitely not the problem. The problem is that the game isn't challenging anymore. I played my hero on hardcore from lvl 1-paragon 48 in all public games and I have only seen one death and this is on monster lvl 3-5 mostly. Nerfs have destroyed this game and lack of challenging content. Maybe if you didn't give away items like having anything be able to drop on act 3 mp 0+ the economy wouldn't have become a disaster so quickly.

There use to be a adrenaline rush playing hc now its just a mindless grind with people running the same path over and over. Death should be at every corner ready to put u back at start.
Edited by j4k3b#1172 on 7/30/2013 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]