Diablo® III

What a waste!!

I was helping a guy level up his hero on hell difficulty. Of course no one every picks the items up but i did and the two handed sword looked very cool! I mean it would be something worth using just for the act work. Then i thought, in loot 2.0 how could Blizz get more from the game? I strongly believe people want their heroes to be unique and their own. I would love to dress my hero in some cool way, but we can't. We have to use the non-colorable legend graphics and have to wear the mempo helm. people spend real money to play the Sims 3 just to have your person get a different outfit or bed. If the play of the game is not changed, why should blizzard care?

What if.
The Mystic/Blacksmith could take an item like a "mempo" and trade all of the abilities to another item. You place your item you want to have the abilities for in one box and the item which you want the skin/artwork to be in the other. Hit craft and now you have the helm look like the level 35 helm but it is still a "mempo" This would also be nice if you could turn 2 one hand weapons into a two handed weapon. Well i know this would be different but people hate using two handed weapons and there are some that are cool and I hate to see them left out of the game.

You have missed out with the group of people who want to make their hero be unique and more like an RPG.
Reply Quote
I was helping a guy level up his hero on hell difficulty. Of course no one every picks the items up but i did and the two handed sword looked very cool! I mean it would be something worth using just for the act work. Then i thought, in loot 2.0 how could Blizz get more from the game? I strongly believe people want their heroes to be unique and their own. I would love to dress my hero in some cool way, but we can't. We have to use the non-colorable legend graphics and have to wear the mempo helm. people spend real money to play the Sims 3 just to have your person get a different outfit or bed. If the play of the game is not changed, why should blizzard care?

What if.
The Mystic/Blacksmith could take an item like a "mempo" and trade all of the abilities to another item. You place your item you want to have the abilities for in one box and the item which you want the skin/artwork to be in the other. Hit craft and now you have the helm look like the level 35 helm but it is still a "mempo" This would also be nice if you could turn 2 one hand weapons into a two handed weapon. Well i know this would be different but people hate using two handed weapons and there are some that are cool and I hate to see them left out of the game.

You have missed out with the group of people who want to make their hero be unique and more like an RPG.

guess you never played wow.. they did it there.. cant imagine it would be hard to do in d3
Reply Quote
Community Manager
In WoW it's called transmogrification, and the ability to visually customize your character adds a layer of depth to the game that a lot of players enjoy. We think it would be cool to implement something like that in Diablo III at some point, but a feature like this has some details to iron out first.

We'd like to hear your feedback on some of the options you'd want to see in a feature that enabled you to visually customize your character. Some great examples of questions to get you started are: Would you like to have cosmetic slots on your character sheet? Would you prefer a system where you have a npc make an item look like a different item? Should weapons be included? Should weapons be limited to the same weapon types if they are included?
Reply Quote
I would personally like a NPC to modify the visuals of an item. Blacksmith or the future Mystic make the most sense (in terms of physically or magically change the appearance of an item).

Weapons... hmm, could be interesting. But I don't think legendary weapons should subject to visual changes. If so, probably should be restricted by type (1-hand sword for 1-hand sword, 2-hand axe for 2-hand axe), in order to avoid weird aesthetic problems like a barbarian wielding a Hellrack or a wizard dual-wielding a Calamity and rare fist weapon (though that would be fun to see :P).

For the time being, you can do something like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10185473/community-commentary-dressed-to-kill-6-6-2013#latest

I intentionally went out of my way to pick out certain items for their aesthetics and built a wizard around them. It's a nice way to kill some time, experiment with builds and also test your creativity. Give it a shot!
Reply Quote
In WoW it's called transmogrification, and the ability to visually customize your character adds a layer of depth to the game that a lot of players enjoy. We think it would be cool to implement something like that in Diablo III at some point, but a feature like this has some details to iron out first.

We'd like to hear your feedback on some of the options you'd want to see in a feature that enabled you to visually customize your character. Some great examples of questions to get you started are: Would you like to have cosmetic slots on your character sheet? Would you prefer a system where you have a npc make an item look like a different item? Should weapons be included? Should weapons be limited to the same weapon types if they are included?

you guys realize that so clearly but do you guys also know that names are as important? I'm tired of seeing my battletag underneath my female characters. It's an eyesore. A disgrace to RPG.
Reply Quote
08/08/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Scorp
The Mystic/Blacksmith could take an item like a "mempo" and trade all of the abilities to another item. You place your item you want to have the abilities for in one box and the item which you want the skin/artwork to be in the other. Hit craft and now you have the helm look like the level 35 helm but it is still a "mempo"

WOW! This is a brilliant idea!
+1 to OP
Reply Quote
A deeper crafting system where you can imbue certain items with various effects.

For example, say you have a Skorn, I don't really want it to look like a different axe, I want to be able to adjust it's properties (with the mystic).

I.e. change the sprites to look like lightning, and change the bleed damage modifier to stun chance, or have a blue/white aura and bleed modifier becomes a slowing freeze effect, etc etc.

On armour, these various effects have varying strengths. For a base modification, say an added 25 fire resistance, there are red highlights overlaid onto the armour texture. And for a final level modification of 150 fire resistance the armour piece becomes burnt dark, but emits a red burning sprite.
Reply Quote
08/09/2013 11:34 AMPosted by Grimiku
I would prefer cosmetic slots, not on the character sheet as that might get crowded. Ideally it would be a carbon copy of the character sheet, with whatever item you have actually equipped shows up in a short of greyed-out color, then you equip whatever item you want to show up on your character model. If its extra slot next on the character sheet that's fine too. NPC is acceptable if that's what it takes to get this feature implemented. But I'd rather be able to pick up an item when I'm out farming and be able to equip, see if I like it, and if not throw it back on the ground instead of having to hold on to it, go to town, and talk to an npc.

I'd include weapons for sure. I'm on the fence about something like going from 1-hand sword to 1-hand mace, etc. but definitely shouldn't be able to go from 1-hand to 2-hand or vis versa.

Legendaries I like to think should be status symbols - though currently any particular legendary is available in abundance though some suck due to the wrong random properties. Even though that's currently the case (hopefully something is done about it, ie. Mempo should be as rare as a crit chance mempo is currently but should always be a crit chance) I'd like to avoid rares, other legendaries from being transmogged into Legendaries / Sets. The other way around is fine.

So if you want a Tyraels chest on your character model, you have to have one equipped, but if you don't like the model, you can have Tyrael's might look like any non-legendary.
Reply Quote
I think I like the idea of an NPC that could change the look of your item. There is so much wasted art in d3. For example, I've really been wanting a red / black hood for my female DH...or dress my DH like the one in the lore and artwork for d3. But those items are to low level to be of much use. So many armor tiers go unused. I generally only see players with legendary or i61 - i63 items.

Same can be said for weapons. Lots of wasted art. Would love to be able to put them to use.
Reply Quote
an NPC should be the means by which a specific item is modified to look visually different. to modify a desired item to look like another, specific gold costs and crafting materials should be required to change the visual of that item based on a recipe that is learned or must be found and taught to that NPC. Or, the item to be visually changed should be modified to look just like the model of another item that is "used up" upon crafting it with that NPC (as the OP suggested). Either means should be options, and appropriate gold/crafting costs should apply to each method.

Aside from such a nice feature being added to the game, hopefully the use of dyes is improved as well, to further enhance visual customization opportunities. Legendaries being dyed is step one, but hopefully "transmogrified" items will also be able to accept dyes afterwards. Also, an expanded variety of dyes with more stunning visual effects would be great as well.

Weapons should be modified the same way armor is, as long as the player has leveled up the NPC or found and taught them the recipes required. I think all items should be limited to their item type for the sake of simplicity in designing the feature. Making 2 1-handed weapons look like a 2-handed weapon could cause other issues, like bugs with attack animations for example. Also I think only 1 item should be modified at a time, so modifying 2 at the same time to look like 1 could be difficult to implement. It just makes more sense to have 1-handers stay 1-handers, though I do think for example, a player should be allowed to make a 1-hand axe look like a 1-hand sword.
Reply Quote
I would really like to see Invisible weapon when you equip them on wizard and monk. So you don't walk around carrying weapons that you don't even use in combat. When the piece of gear is "gone" so the character will look like it is not holding anything but will still benefit from the item bonus, kind of like equipping a "ring" on the main hand.

About the graphic I would like to see more dyes added. Give us the option to buy
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/bottled-smoke
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/bottled-cloud
It has been a year and I don't think I will go purchase a CE when I got my first as a digital copy. Can't get them off a friend or let them dye my boa item for me...
Add these dyes as well
bottled flame
bottled breeze
bottled acid
bottled lightning

Or allow them to drop off field bosses (unique monsters that randomly spawn). And please make these spawn more often with a higher stat so each will fight like a diablo. These dyes can be boa.

I think allowing the NPC to alternate the graphic design of an item is better than a new system. It will also add a gold sink. The material required can be a white armor so you don't even need to make a new drop down list. Place 2 items on the window and the edited item will take the graphic of the he new other. But you got to make us a new list of dye design as the current one is not covering all the coloring on a piece of gear as well as the position on where to add the color.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 8/9/2013 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe the weapon transmog should be limited to the same types of items. (one handed axe -> different iLvL 1h axe, 2h sword -> different iLvL 2h Sword).

Another cool idea (that would take the devs a long time) would be adding different subtle variants to certain pieces, meaning there would be 3 different skins that drop for iLvL 45 helms, 3 diff skins for iLvl 62 2h axes, etc) giving us 3x the skins to choose from on each armor / wep slot.

Just throwing "stuff" at the fan, seeing if it sticks. Something will eventually..

bottled flame
bottled breeze
bottled acid
bottled lightning

Having the mystic be able to do this is my suggestion. Make it cost a fair amount of DE's, gold, and whatever else (if they add a new essence), and make the visual only usable on BoE's if there is one.
Just my opinion.
Reply Quote
1. KEEP STATIC ITEM TYPE

Initial thought is that you should NOT allow weapons / offhands / shields to change type. This ( especially in dueling ) may be a problem because your play style may change if fighting a 1h / Sword barb vs a 2h sword barb.

2. NPC AS MEANS TO CHANGE

I believe the easiest way to make changes to an item's appearance would be through an NPC whose only function is to change the appearance of items.

3. GLOW GLOW GLOW !!!

There's something about adding a glowing effect of some sort that is just bad !@#. For example in WOW the mongoose enchantment on weapon looked so damn cool i wanted it for it's aesthetic reasons alone.

if you could allow a full system of glowing effects on weapons, off-hands, and shields that have movement ( animation ) as well as varying color schemes it would be great...

example:
- Burning Fire that's blue / green / red / yellow / purple / black / etc.
- Blood Dripping that's blue / green / red / yellow / purple / black / etc.
- Mongoose style lightening that's blue / green / red / yellow / purple / black / etc.
Edited by Treasonist#1760 on 8/9/2013 2:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You should be able to customize your armor color and apperance... but no to the changing of weapons... I like being able to see what kind of weapons my opponent will be using before I Crush them... (in PvP)
Edited by BDiablo#1351 on 10/16/2013 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/09/2013 11:34 AMPosted by Grimiku

What a great question to ask since players have wanted the ability to dye legendary/set gear for quite a while now and you haven't even been able to get around to that... Why would we think you could manage to complete further requests?
Reply Quote
08/09/2013 02:19 PMPosted by BDiablo
You should be able to customize your armor color and apperance... but no to the changing of weapons... I like being able to see what kind of weapons my opponent will be using before I cruch them... (in PvP)

Your example isn't really that great. With the RNG so broad, the visual appearance of someone's gear doesn't really tell you anything. You don't know by looking at a Skorn whether it's Dex, Str, or what other skills may be on it. You need to actually inspect the gear to see what it can do.
Reply Quote

I would ONLY want this on rare items... NEVER on legendary and here is why!

The items that one finds are sort of a roadmap of not only how a person plays, but also where they have been and the time they have spent getting there... while I agree with simple color swaps for Legendary items I think that having a unique look to each piece that is BOUND to that items lore and stats and unchanging is what makes having these items so coveted... you guys have got to step up and make the items look cool and worth wearing... IMO
Reply Quote
visual customization would add a lot to this game. i agree that the mystic should play a role in this.

i would love a way to have top end gear and still look like this on my dh
http://www.diablowiki.net/images/f/f6/Dhf_tier8.jpg

i've also had a small idea about "legendary" enchantments (or whatever they can be called) where applying these to a single item would completely change the entire appearance of your character to something besides other legendaries or armor sets. these would be completely unique. use concept art for inspiration? (if they aren't too similar to an armor tier/legendaries already)

a wizard can look like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/artwork/?view=artwork-wizard01&keywords=classes.wizard#latest

also more unique dyes, and more unique display things like angel wings would be sweet.
Reply Quote
I see no reason not to have every equipment slot be customizable to any model and color in the game. I assume the simplest way to do this would be simply cosmetic slots, because I'd really like to have my tanky, Chantodo's Set wielding cookie cutter Wizard look like she's actually decked out with an axe and shield, with neat armor.

I really would like weapons to be included into customization as well, simply because some builds simply do not work well with certain weapon types. I've never seen a single Inferno difficulty wizard running around with a 2-handed staff, but would still love to occasionally see that visually.
Edited by Kaniran#1890 on 8/9/2013 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]