Diablo® III

Affixes

View profile
How about some new affixes for gear and mobs:

Immunity on item. Maybe amulets so you can't stack them or rings so you could have two.
Immune to poison
Immune to arcane
Cannot be frozen
Immune to fire

How about resource drain on elite packs either it affects all classes or it is specific and more than one could pop.

How about better resource steal akin to life steal. Instead of regen it could have steal. Put those on the class specific items.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
It's likely that you would see additional affixes on items and monsters at some point in the future of Diablo III, but it's not likely that you'd see that kind of update on it's own. Special variations are a great way to add content to the game, and make specific monsters or items feel unique. It's also a lot of fun to think about what affixes you'd like to see added to monsters or items, and we're always interested in seeing those ideas.

What monster and/or item affixes would you like to see in Diablo III?
Reply Quote
07/30/2013 06:26 PMPosted by Grimiku

Item affixes:

1. Multi-hit: % chance on attack to perform one or maybe two additional attacks. The initial attack could be anything - basic attack, spell, etc. It would be a little tricky to code, since there is no "locked on" target to which the additional attacks could be applied, but I'm confident someone with more vision than myself could devise a solution, perhaps the additional attacks could be AOE on proc?

2. Festering touch: similar to Swarm of Locusts, % chance on attack to curse/poison the target, which then spreads to surrounding mobs within a certain distance. This affix could also be made to cast any variety of abnormal status effects - chill, freeze, slow, etc. However, those seem like they'd be a little on the OP side because they'd allow for mass crowd control on proc, which is why I suggested poison on hit, as it simply increases damage but not CC abilitiy.

3. Prismatic damage: Not so much an affix as a new damage type, prismatic damage would cycle through alternating elements on each hit (e.g. first attack is fire, second frost, third lightning, etc.). However, this would have no real point until elements besides frost are made to actually do something.

Monster affix:

1. Confuse: True, it would serve no real purpose in solo games, but perhaps it could be coded as an affix only in public games. I think it'd be wicked fun to see your most powerful ally turned against you for a few seconds. Was always one of the most entertaining monster abilities in WoW (partially because I enjoyed murdering my friends when they were unwittingly mind-controlled by some mob).
Edited by Exile#1863 on 7/30/2013 6:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/30/2013 06:26 PMPosted by Grimiku

I would like to direct you to one of the best and most discussed ideas conceived by players: Positive affixes for monsters. This sits on the same level as Monstrosity's loot 2.0 thread.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6201431398

Note the time of posting - Just over a year to the day.

I wonder if there is anyone at Blizzard who can recall this at all.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 7/30/2013 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's likely that you would see additional affixes on items and monsters at some point in the future of Diablo III, but it's not likely that you'd see that kind of update on it's own. Special variations are a great way to add content to the game, and make specific monsters or items feel unique. It's also a lot of fun to think about what affixes you'd like to see added to monsters or items, and we're always interested in seeing those ideas.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8704740875#1

I feel that there's many interesting affix in there :D Another blue post in there surely would create a new wave of potential ideas!
Reply Quote
Hopefully Blizzard will be more creative than simple elemental immunity. What does that really add to the gameplay experience? Not much.

Whatever Blizzard comes up with, the new affixes need to interact well with the skills. Something like gain 2 spirit every time you dodge an attack. I'd use this together with Dashing Strike: Blinding speed (20% increased dodge) and MoE: Backlash. Dash into center of mobs with MoE 3 second bonus up to fuel some quick resource generation to fuel your offensive abilities.

Its a fairly average affix by itself, basically spirit regen except only in combat, for most monks its "meh" but it has the potential for unique interaction with certain skills that will make it "interesting" or "game-changing" for others.

I saw this in another thread a couple days ago. A fellow suggested changing Pick up Radius to also affect AoE abilities, it already works for a couple WD passives but increasing that all classes would be cool. And changing Increased Healing from Globes and Potions to a more simple Increased Healing that extends to monk healing spells and health regeneration. Probably should not extend to Life steal though, lets be honest its already pretty powerful.

I'll add to his suggestion that we change Reduced Duration of Crowd Control Effects to something I'd like to call it Hit Recovery or Recovery Rate - - something less wordy. This is Recovery affix will do exactly what it does now (I'm not even sure what all this applies to currently), but it would apply to fear, jailed, frozen (elite affix), chilled (cold damage), stunned, and the knockback effect from certain monsters. It might reduce the effectiveness of things like the spiders in Act 1 Caverns spit the web thing on the ground.
Or couple make another affix that reduces the effectiveness of statuses like Vile Temptress's armor debuff, snares from cold damage and spider webs, length of poison/bleed duration etc. IF more things of the sort were actually added to the game.

Those are not necessarily "interesting" changes - about as interesting as armor and all resist, but balancing several stats between a limited number of affix slots has some fun that comes with it.

Some new ideas,
1. I don't know what to call it, probably most suitable for a legendary, Removes the cooldown from Barbarian's Leap but adds a fury cost instead.

2. Monk attacks twice as fast but for half as much damage with primary attacks after using an Dashing Strike or Cyclone Strike. Both have strike in the name so I feel its suitable to group them together although they aren't in the same skill category. Attacking twice as fast, for half as much, no change in damage output but spirit generation is doubled but also gives you the ability to quickly stack the debuffs, buffs from generators + combo strike, like CW: Concussion or Rising Tide, FoT: Lightning Flash or Static Charge (proccing insane cyclones from sweeping wind with 2x attack speed), Keen Eye, and WotHF: Blazing Fury.

3. Energy Armor - works just like the wizard skill, affects whatever resource pool your class utlilizes.

Something they could do to add really interesting and specific effects is add some stats like Mastery from WoW. Mastery, Focus, Expertise, Determination etc. The names of them are not the important part. Three or four stats, each with a unique effect for each individual class. You get interesting affixes without cluttering the affix pool or having to stick them all on Legendary/Class specific items like the class skill bonuses are now.
Reply Quote
It's likely that you would see additional affixes on items and monsters at some point in the future of Diablo III, but it's not likely that you'd see that kind of update on it's own. Special variations are a great way to add content to the game, and make specific monsters or items feel unique. It's also a lot of fun to think about what affixes you'd like to see added to monsters or items, and we're always interested in seeing those ideas. What monster and/or item affixes would you like to see in Diablo III?

Every affix that D2 LoD has and 2 dozen more.

BTW Special variations are not "content" unless you are talking about Very special monster types like ubers/keywardens. Acts, dungeons, maps, char classes are content.
Reply Quote
The best thing that can be done to Affixes is to remove Vortex.

It's cheap.

Just cheap. Unavoidable by skill.
Reply Quote

Lowered global cooldown rates % would be one affix that would open up a wide amount of new builds. It would be valuable and compete with trifecta and help out a lot of unused skills. Low end 20% High end 75% or something like this depending on how many pieces it was available on.
Reply Quote

It's cheap.

Yeah Vortex on enemies is garbage. One of the worst things about D3.
Reply Quote

It's cheap.

Yeah Vortex on enemies is garbage. One of the worst things about D3.

Uh, no. Vortex is avoidable by both range and terrain -- requires a clean path throughout the Vortex. There are really no maps, where you can't position yourself to avoid Vortex by walking/moving a half-screen or so to a particular spot. I hate to play the L2P card, but seriously, Vortex is not an issue and is actually one of the better affixes. It's also pretty easy to feel when an enemy is due to use it; they cool down similarly. If they haven't Vortexed in awhile, and you're worried about being pulled onto triple plague + arcane, step aside, let them fail a Vortex attempt, and then promptly move back onto the offensive.
Edited by supafrench#1240 on 7/31/2013 12:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Immunity on item. Maybe amulets so you can't stack them or rings so you could have two.
Immune to poison
Immune to arcane
Cannot be frozen
Immune to fire

????????? really?? really???

might as well get rid of elites, that's the point of having all these so its a challenge.
Reply Quote

Did you kill bashiok and take his place?
Reply Quote
Uh, no. Vortex is avoidable by both range and terrain -- requires a clean path throughout the Vortex. There are really no maps, where you can't position yourself to avoid Vortex by walking/moving a half-screen or so to a particular spot. I hate to play the L2P card, but seriously, Vortex is not an issue and is actually one of the better affixes. It's also pretty easy to feel when an enemy is due to use it; they cool down similarly. If they haven't Vortexed in awhile, and you're worried about being pulled onto triple plague + arcane, step aside, let them fail a Vortex attempt, and then promptly move back onto the offensive.

Truly I could care less about your playing advice as I did fine with any affix including MP10. Vortex, and in fact any of this hard CC doesn't really belong in an ARPG. It's tedious and mouse movement controls in this game are not such that it's any fun to dodge such attacks. I might feel differently if I were playing on the console with a dodge button. All it does it take away from kill efficiency in a cheap way while I wait for some thing to proc or recover from it sliding around in a stupid, carpal tunnel inducing, and counter-intuitive way with mouse.

You have very little option to gear against it as well to make your kill/loot ratio any better. I also could care less about hardcore as gearing for maximum survival and creeping through an already tedium filled game even slower than softcore pace is boring^boring. That means boring to the power of boring if you don't know anything about computer based mathematical notation.
Reply Quote

I saw this in another thread a couple days ago. A fellow suggested changing Pick up Radius to also affect AoE abilities, it already works for a couple WD passives but increasing that all classes would be cool. And changing Increased Healing from Globes and Potions to a more simple Increased Healing that extends to monk healing spells and health regeneration. Probably should not extend to Life steal though, lets be honest its already pretty powerful.

That would be this thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/9551455092#1

There are other affix ideas mentioned in it as well.
Reply Quote
Invulnerable Minions would be fun to see return, also Vampiric feels terribly under-powered. I have a couple other suggestions below:

• Slowing: Similar to the spell that Kulle casts, but is targeted, not AoE, and lasts a few seconds.
  • Summoner: Spawns pets periodically that are native to the area.
  • Bomber: Lays traps that explode after a few seconds for high damage to a small area.
  • Curse: Similar to A3 Succubus attack, but stacks. If you reach too many stacks, you are turned to stone. Instant death.
Reply Quote
View profile
Invulnerable Minions would be fun to see return[/li][/ul]

NO. just.....NO. There is absolutely no way I can articulate here how much I hated that affix, and was so glad to see it go. Nothing fun about putting monsters in a game that cannot be killed, where the object of the game is to kill monsters. I do not miss this trait one single bit, and truth be told, I find even shielding almost as annoying, but tolerable since it is only a short duration.
Edited by FireIceTalon#1265 on 7/31/2013 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I miss invo minions. I would love to have them back ^.^
Reply Quote
...but it's not likely that you'd see that kind of update on it's own.

or ever for that matter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]