Diablo® III

How do WD deal with Fallen Maniacs (MP9+)?

I find my WD almost exclusively dies from Fallen Maniacs.

Most of the death arised when those FMs lurking towards me in battlefield heavily opaqued.

I am already using dogs to block them, spirit walk to flee & grasp of the dead to slow the FMs

Also built with armor 4.5K + resistance of avg 750 (swapping gloves + pox with Wizard) + life of 39K + LS5.9 skorn

However, in Keep's run MP9, i always die a couple of times from FM's explosion.

How do u WD Gurus deal with those nasty FMs?

Please kindly help & enlighten me. Many thanks
Reply Quote
Bears solve all woes

Also, horrify/FA helps.
Reply Quote
Since I tend to have spiders anyways in most builds, spider jars through doorways to trigger aggro and draw out anything that may be lurking on the other side. This generally gives more time to decide what to do about them.

That and not running away from elites through unexplored areas.
Reply Quote
View profile
Run. They detonate eventually in your wake. Works really well in Oasis when that random spawn dispenses a few of them, since you're herding the map up to burn it all in one fell swoop anyway.

Spirit Walk will save you from one hit, but not a whole pack.

Horrify/Frightening Aspect would help, especially if you had more life. 47k HP is just begging to get one-shotted in high MP.
Reply Quote
More life will help for sure. Use life link dogs. If you can tap them with plague bats then spirit walk, or even just run away, they'll wither away to the DOT. More dps helps with this too... Either way, they will still occasionally claim their victims.
Reply Quote
Like others have stated, Horrify:FA helps a lot, but so does learning when to run.
Reply Quote
Pish posh. I can take a few Fallen Manics in MP10 in a group of 4. Muhhahaha. Sure... I can't kill stuff nearly as quick as most... But I can take hit from multiple tanks at the same time and just laugh at things. And IF I'm actually doing damage... Faaaaaget about itttttt... I can't die. RD, Fallens, Knockback, Vortex. Boom shakalaka with a soda on the side. Coffee FTW.
Reply Quote
As many have already said, FA/SW can help as does running,

If you are solo be careful at doors or corners, or if you are in a group let the barbs/monks lead.

In the end, due to the ridiculous damage they can do there are some times they still gonna splat you.

With buffs I average near 1k res and mattering on gear 3500-4k armor and almost 80k life, and there are a few times I still get popped in mp10. Usually it takes a couple, but even one can do it when you are in the middle of a nasty elite pack.

You can try SunTzu's way of just being overly tanky, but personally i prefer to not take 10min to kill 1 elite, or to be the leach of the party.
Reply Quote
Just hold channel, and aim to get a crit every sec. The only time a FM procs my SV is when I've lost control (frozen, nightmarish, knockback, vortex). If my SV is activated, I'll play more carefully and use FA if needed.

Edit: 39k life is way too low. Try to get above 60k at least.
Edited by PaulNg#6869 on 8/1/2013 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/01/2013 11:32 AMPosted by RhymingDemon
You can try SunTzu's way of just being overly tanky, but personally i prefer to not take 10min to kill 1 elite, or to be the leach of the party.

Uh oh!! Another party pooper!!! Sorry if I don't have godly gear and I decided to go a different route than you and every other top tier WD. Lol, wish you nothing but the best and I hope you continue to get better.
Reply Quote
I was testing out a poison(locust/PoB) bad medicine build today and found i had the same problem, i could tank anything but fallen maniacs. Prior to switching up my build, i ran with CoB and had no problem with them whatsoever. CoB is great for FM's because it stops them in their tracks and typically drops them before they have the chance to self destruct. To survive with PoB, i think some serious kiting and a bit of luck will be required... Either that or a godly amount damage mitigation!
Reply Quote
Just run dude. You don't even need to kite, just ignore them and keep going. If you get jammed up use sw and they will all detonate on your ghost, then nuke the trash mob you grouped up and keep going.
Reply Quote
run like a little sissy girl i do :p
Reply Quote
lead them to the other team players, that way u get rid of them and laugh at others dying at your cost xD.
Reply Quote
I can tank 2 explosions
Reply Quote
http://youtu.be/m_TS790V2g4

Video uploading, check back in 2 or 3 hours.
Reply Quote
08/01/2013 11:44 AMPosted by SunTzu

Uh oh!! Another party pooper!!! Sorry if I don't have godly gear and I decided to go a different route than you and every other top tier WD. Lol, wish you nothing but the best and I hope you continue to get better.

It is not a matter of choosing builds, it is a matter of efficiency. There are plenty of WDs who play mp10 and rarely if ever die, and can efficiently play mp10. At your DPS you will mf/level/DE farm etc. more efficiently at lower MPs where OP is talking about mp9+. And you can say "well I want a challenge" all you want, but there is no challenge in playing an uber tank, just mind-numbing time taken each play session. And any mp10 ready group you play in with that build, you will always be the leach.

And that is what I replied to the OP, he can choose what you suggested, I am just warning him that playing solo he will take forever, and playing in a group he will be the leach.
Reply Quote
Change those lacuni braces for a crafted one with more tanky stats. You'll probably even gain DPS since your current bracers don't even have any int; also you might find with less attack speed you can swap out one of your mana passives for spirit vessel, which will give you an extra life.

I would also swap out grasp of the dead for Horrify/FA
Edited by Wargizmo#1708 on 8/1/2013 4:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Take out dogs if wanna deal with FM. You gotta get them close to you fast so dogs are just on way. Then just kill em with bats or bears.
Reply Quote
http://youtu.be/m_TS790V2g4

Video uploading, check back in 2 or 3 hours.

This only works if you have over 200k++ DPS.

As for OP, I'd consider the suggestions of those posted above : Run, Horrify or Gear up :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]