Diablo® III

Local loot autoassign or common stash needed

After looking at the recent demo it is clear that local loot needs to be auto assigned and not left to a first to grab model. The fact that loot can be grabbed by anyone leads to unnecessary tension and uncertainty when playing. You can see in the demo how it became an issue even to the point where people overcorrected and were afraid to pick up loot. This is going to be an even bigger problem because ranged characters will have a harder time getting to the loot.

Why can't there be a simple option to have the loot auto assigned and sent to a character no matter who picks it up? An even better solution would be to have a common loot stash where loot went when picked up. Players could be given 10 points for every item that was picked up and they could bid on items in the common stash. The items would have a hidden player assignment so that if the game crashed or otherwise suddenly stopped the unclaimed items would go to those players.

The simple fact of life is that there are people that you could have a blast playing local coop with but are jerks or selfish. It is one thing to play competitively against them within the confines of a game. It is another when a game encourages that competitiveness out in the real world.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile

The simple fact of life is that there are people that you could have a blast playing local coop with but are jerks or selfish.

May I suggest not letting such people into your home and sitting next to them playing a game? They don't sound like such good friends.

Sorry but your whole argument seems a bit silly since you will be sitting next to anyone who can loot things. If you can't agree on something in real life then they don't sound like the best friends out there.

Online still has separated loot as people can be iffy online I admit, but blizzard shouldn't have to look after people in real life.
Reply Quote

May I suggest not letting such people into your home and sitting next to them playing a game? They don't sound like such good friends.

Sorry but your whole argument seems a bit silly since you will be sitting next to anyone who can loot things. If you can't agree on something in real life then they don't sound like the best friends out there.

Did you not see the demo? What I described happened right there. The one guy was picking up all the stuff. Then the rest of them called him on it and made fun of him. Then everyone was afraid to pick up loot to the point where at times some was left on the ground. Why is it too much to ask to have the exact same auto assign loot logic that is used in online game be applied to local play? At the very least make it an option.

Your argument to change the people I play games with as opposed to changing the game makes no sense. Why limit the number of people your game can happily support?

[People I can play with] > [People I can play with happily]

Oh and btw I do limit the people that I play with. I just don't want to have to. I love couch co-op and the fact that Diablo 3 supports is the only reason why I am considering buying it. I simply don't want to have to fight over loot, and don't want to have to feel guilty when I grab a choice piece.
Reply Quote
The guy who was taking all the loot was used to the pc version where all the loot is individualized. when he realized that he stopped taking all the loot. The people playing the game appeared to me to have found a way to share the loot that they wanted. the loot that was left behind were either a downgrade or not an item the players wanted, ie Targe shields.
Reply Quote
Not a issue. A swift elbow to the gut of the offender sitting next to you will solve it.
Reply Quote
08/05/2013 04:40 AMPosted by Ace
Not a issue. A swift elbow to the gut of the offender sitting next to you will solve it.

I tend to try to avoid knocking the $#%@ out of my roommate's sister's kid. As it is now I have to be the bad guy when he asks to play and simply tell him 'no'. Is asking for a simple option to autoloot too much to ask for to avoid that situation?
Reply Quote

I tend to try to avoid knocking the $#%@ out of my roommate's sister's kid. As it is now I have to be the bad guy when he asks to play and simply tell him 'no'. Is asking for a simple option to autoloot too much to ask for to avoid that situation?

Yes, absolutely. Man up and handle the situation.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
You've got a valid concern, and the console team spent a lot of time looking at the best solution that would minimize the amount of time local coop games need to spend in the inventory screen. Pressing up on the directional pad will allow players to quickly go through the last 10 items they picked up, so they can compare items, equip, or drop them for other members of the group without opening up the inventory menu. This means that there is no need to leave loot behind on the ground, since you can quickly drop anything that would be an upgrade for your party members without slowing down the action.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
I'm sure there's a way to program it so the random loot that drop upon kills also light up with a random player's name highlighted above it, so players know which drops belong to which players.

Then three people can jump up and exclaim simultaneously to the fourth, "Oh, you lucky son of a—!"

Meanwhile, only the fourth can go pick it up, the others can just pick up the items with their respective names on them. It could also be useful for some players to call out to their teammate, "Hey, buddy, you forgot that rare rune sword at the stairs."

Just an idea.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/5/2013 4:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So you just assume getting the game be able to determine which players want which items is a simple task?
Reply Quote
Each team member has a funny arrow around their base with and individual color. Could the loot text be coded to match a certain player's color in order to help keep loot separate?
Reply Quote
Back in my day loot was a free for all. Gold and all.
And we liked it that way. Kinda made the experience game like.
Wait this is a game... isn't it?
Really from everything I'm hearing console is going to have much better loot anyway.
If you don't want to fight for loot get on your computer like a MAN(or woman).

mumble mumble dang kids
Reply Quote
Back in my day loot was a free for all. Gold and all.
And we liked it that way. Kinda made the experience game like.
Wait this is a game... isn't it?
Really from everything I'm hearing console is going to have much better loot anyway.
If you don't want to fight for loot get on your computer like a MAN(or woman).

mumble mumble dang kids

No kidding, I don't see why this is an issue... Or maybe I just liked Diablo 2 way too much.
Reply Quote
The console version sounds legit. I do have my concerns but I'm sure any capable game dev team have already thought the same thoughts and have it squared up. What cam potentially urk me is the console version immediately surpassing its PC father, I mean I already bought the PC version and had no idea whatsoever of there being a console release. Would the knowledge beforehand have altered my decision? You bet, the earliest thing I remember in my life is playing a game on the atari where you battled a buddy with an airplane. That aside, I think it would be really frustrating having to buy the same game again to get the joy I want out of it because as it stands if you asked anyone who played through the PC version, myself included, its a bit below the bar we had set up for it.
Reply Quote
08/05/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Grimiku
You've got a valid concern, and the console team spent a lot of time looking at the best solution that would minimize the amount of time local coop games need to spend in the inventory screen. Pressing up on the directional pad will allow players to quickly go through the last 10 items they picked up, so they can compare items, equip, or drop them for other members of the group without opening up the inventory menu. This means that there is no need to leave loot behind on the ground, since you can quickly drop anything that would be an upgrade for your party members without slowing down the action.

That makes zero sense. The OP is trying to avoid ninga loot on the couch and the arguments, not the loot !@#$% scrolling through his drops and deciding who gets what. I have no idea why you geniuses didn't just stick to the games original concept of loot for each player. All players have character colors, make loot drops match the colors. Now everyone an see each others drops and we can all communicate on loot. No wasted time wondering what dropped when the loot !@#$% spammed the pickup button.
Edited by Ace#1327 on 8/5/2013 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is a problem that dose not need fixing.
Reply Quote
Ninja looting is part of the fun.... Community at it again trying to remove the mechanics of this game for ease of use before its even released. Its a sacred pass time to screw with your significant other in a video game. Take that out and theres no hope for humanity!

The thing that is a problem though is skill assigning, there should be quick assignments. Adjustments are definitely needed on the UI. Although I don't mind the inventory menu for everyone, that also leads to lots of troll fun among friends. If you don't like it, play solo on your own time or get more pansy friends to play with your pansy self.
Edited by MammthWffle#1759 on 8/5/2013 11:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm sure there's a way to program it so the random loot that drop upon kills also light up with a random player's name highlighted above it, so players know which drops belong to which players.

Then three people can jump up and exclaim simultaneously to the fourth, "Oh, you lucky son of a—!"

Meanwhile, only the fourth can go pick it up, the others can just pick up the items with their respective names on them. It could also be useful for some players to call out to their teammate, "Hey, buddy, you forgot that rare rune sword at the stairs."

Just an idea.

This is path of exile you are talking about. However I don't really like this system and it isn't really diablo to me. Even the current system doesn't feel like diablo to me. Shared loot is what was natural. POE did a good job of making a pretty fair version of this system. Where you can pick up your own loot for the first like 10 seconds. If you don't grab it in 10 seconds (theres a timer type bar to let you know how long you have to grab it), then it becomes free game for everyone else in the party. I don't think diablo should be like this honestly.
At the beginning of a match it should just give the party a vote. Character assigned loot or Free For All loot system. Ties goes to player one. This is just my suggestion.
Edited by PAXpress#1180 on 8/6/2013 1:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'am not sure but i think it will be better the gold to be auto assigned to your inventory after you kill a mob.....like it is in Dota.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]