Diablo® III

PVP DH build

Ok back into the game now I know ehp and dps are equally important but there are some questions I need answering from the higher end Demon Hunters still playing. Is 4 piece nats the way to go for pvp for the 20 disc or is 3 piece/mempo the best the for ehp? What gear in general do I use? I've seen innas pants and belt or amazing ehp rare legs and WH. Ive seen calamity and/ ss. Ive seen Manticore and DML... dont see much windforce was wondering if it's any good? Seen some DHs running blackthorns but that doesnt seem smart with the loss of dps but plz correct me if im wrong. Looks like Nats set is pretty good but I can get more EHP but going mempo and a crafted ring.Is Nightstalker any good? I was thinking perfectionist/tactical advantage and either archer or nghtstalker. As for skills Tumble AND SS prolly smart to keep your distance as well as prep. Do I wanna use Impale? Is bola shot chain stun good? is using boar companion a smart idea? Couldnt it be possible with nightstalker, calamity, puncturing arrow to basically net you free discipline all day even better than that of leg nats? And if thats the case with really high EHP and basically permagloom what on earth would kill you.

I'm looking for active friends that play the game in general not just for pvp. Gtting into this big time need some people. My gear stinks atm but that will change.
Edited by PsYk1K#1423 on 8/9/2013 8:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump. Also how about Fear on hit from nats sight? synergize well with IAS on calamity. I noticed people werent havin such greart luck with demonhunters and maybe just maybe theyd try something new from the whole Manticore only I kill with Chemical burn. Faster attacking means more disc regen....more fear on hit. Maybe It's possible to controll barbs and WD's until they die
Reply Quote
blackthorns if you're going for a tank turret build.
full nats for more offensive play.

impale/rapid fire.

passive is pretty open for alot of choices.
i personally go with tactical advantage, sharpshooter and steady aim.

you won't be beating a good wd, their pets tend to soak up a lot of damage.
Edited by Razor#1728 on 8/9/2013 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This article will answer all of your questions, and then some.
http://www.viciouscattle.com/forum/thread-1927-1-1.html
Reply Quote
I myself see some diversity here thats not being tapped into. Is Impale 100% stun? Why does noone use hungering arrow SOJ and deadmans... f impale always stuns wouldnt you be able to keep a target stunned and get a lot of devouring arrows off before you run out of hatred with your chain stun? Why is everyone so stuck on manticore... IMO hungering arrow becomes far more dangerous with calamity with more chances to pierce for bonus damage. I personally dont like sharpshooter... I crit far too often to hold any form of real sharpshooter bonus. Initial burst is great with it obviously but after that i dunno... id personally prefer nightstalker with calamity... it feels like having legacy nats im telling you. And hwow is rapid fire any good in pvp at all?
Edited by PsYk1K#1423 on 8/9/2013 1:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
impale - impact only has a 65% chance to stun, and it ain't easy to land one on wds in the first place, you're better of going for chemical burn.

and yea attack speed sounds all good in theory, but remember we are dueling real players here.
no one is gonna be standing around.
same with night stalker,
Reply Quote
rapid fire tears barbs apart (depends on the barb ofc^^ but it deals massive damage) and as Razor mentioned you wont hit often enough to profit from Nightstalker.

with a RF build SS is debatable but when using Impale nothing beats guaranteed crits. doesnt matter if you like it or not - its a great passive. Also forget WF or Calamity. You either play with a manti or a really really good rare xbow. The damage per hit is most important.

just play a few duels and try it out. all the things that have been posted have been tested out, it's not just speculation
Reply Quote
I wish the male demon hunter didnt look so damn dumb holding an xbow
Reply Quote
View profile
See if you can get in touch with Iria. If he's willing to help you should be set. :)

And hwow is rapid fire any good in pvp at all?

One of Iria's vids. http://www.twitch.tv/iria1342/b/425096474
Edited by Wannabee808#1418 on 8/9/2013 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/09/2013 01:05 PMPosted by PsYk1K
I myself see some diversity here thats not being tapped into. Is Impale 100% stun? Why does noone use hungering arrow SOJ and deadmans... f impale always stuns wouldnt you be able to keep a target stunned and get a lot of devouring arrows off before you run out of hatred with your chain stun? Why is everyone so stuck on manticore... IMO hungering arrow becomes far more dangerous with calamity with more chances to pierce for bonus damage. I personally dont like sharpshooter... I crit far too often to hold any form of real sharpshooter bonus. Initial burst is great with it obviously but after that i dunno... id personally prefer nightstalker with calamity... it feels like having legacy nats im telling you. And hwow is rapid fire any good in pvp at all?

1) Impale is not 100% stun, if the target dodges it does not stun and it only has a 65% even if it does connect. Next there are cc diminishing returns for stun-locking a target (similar to elite cc reduction).

2) Hungering Arrow is good but the damage output is too low. Try facing a tanky target like a top Barb or WD with Hungering Arrow and when you see it pecks them for <10% of their max hp per crit hit, you will understand lol. Use it as a harassment tool while you are regenerating hatred to keep them from regenerating health or to keep them on the run.

3) Again, Impale stuns are very unreliable since they also can be broken with any CC breaking skill like Serenity, Smokescreen, Spirit Walk, etc. And the base duration is also reduced by 35% in PVP so you wouldn't have time to alternate with another skill.

4) Manticores are superior when it comes to damage per hit and thus more damage per hatred. Calamities are too low on damage (or critical hit damage) generally to be of use. The target will not generally stand there for you to optimize damage with a high attacks per second build! You need to run in, shoot once or twice, and run out, so damage per hit is superior to damage per second.

5) Sharpshooter is useful because a lot of the time you are not attacking someone but rather running away for resources to regenerate or they are running away or behind cover where you cannot hit them. Sharpshooter helps tremendously in these situations as you will not be constantly resetting the bonus!

6) Nightstalker is trash in PVP for two reasons. One, you burn through discipline MUCH faster in PVP than you do in PVE so the minimal few discipline you would gain wouldn't really matter much. Two, Nightstalker only procs on crits and is multiplied by the proc coefficient; generally, you don't get to crit your opponent more than a couple times in a period of 5-10 seconds and thus you would see only a minimal amount of discipline. There simply aren't hordes of monsters for you to bola shot on and regain massive discipline like in PVE.

7) Rapid Fire is the most powerful attack DH currently have in PVP at the moment. The only times you will want to use something else like Impale - Chemical Burn is against a high evasion target due to the mechanics of Chemical Burn with Sharpshooter.
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks for stopping in to say hi Iria! Lol
Reply Quote
Ok cool. Glad that you stopped Iria. I plan on playing and being quite decent once I gear up. Pvp has always been about bows for me. Even after the piercing nerf in D2 I still played zon...albeit had a lot of success with necro and assassin chaos/fury venomand every other class aside from pallies really.... they just never did it for me ... really miss switching to titans/stormshield on the fly though..... maybe something for the expansion? Anyone still play D2? Zons were extremely good in team pvp if they had some protection... its those numbers of people in a game that I miss most.

Anyway back on topic After readin your guide Iria you think the 2 best sets to have in general are balanced and glass cannon? Two of the best choices against our 2 hardest matchups. Although today I notice you wearing full blackthornes with mempo bunker build seems like thats your go to pvp build. The big uestion I gotta ask is your verdict on Legacy? If I'm going to buy innas pants do I want them with 180+ dex or vit? Is it better against anything that the other builds can't just do? Ugh never gonna find a good set of that. All the good stuff is so expensive... decent rapid fire anything is expensive as hell and impossible to find on the AH in general. A good 2 socket manticore my left arm.... So another win for capitalism. Anyway off to go figure out the best farm spots and get serious.
Edited by PsYk1K#1423 on 8/12/2013 8:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't use legacy. I have adapted and learned to ration my discipline with non-legacy with really good results. The only impossible match-up at the moment is Witch Doctor. There is no build at the moment that can work there. I am able to stalemate non-Plague Bat Witch Doctors with my tank build but I cannot deliver the finishing blow as they retreat as soon as their dogs are down and I don't have the resource to chase. The Zombie Dogs have incredible resilience against Rapid Fire with their force armor mechanic (doing LESS than 500 damage per hit on the tankiest dogs)!

I am giving up on PVP until Blizzard does something to address the myriad of problems with it. Unfortunately, Blizzard has refused to even say anything about PVP and their plans or even ideas for it in the future. Here are some examples of fixes Blizzard should implement at some point and on some level:

1) Spectator mode of some kind
2) Team mode of some kind
3) Ladder or ranking system of some kind
4) Mechanics tweaks for all classes:
  • All Classes:
  • All attacks should be dodge-able.
  • All attacks and pets should cease immediately upon death.
  • Barbarian:
  • Ignore Pain or Leap should include a CC breaking ability.
  • Demon Hunter:
  • Higher damage skills needed (e.g. on par with HotA and WoL).
  • Smokescreen should grant increased dodge but not invincibility.
  • Spike Traps and Caltrops should be barely visible to enemies.
  • Chemical Burn should not affect the target if knife is dodged.
  • Monk:
  • Mantra of Healing should restore 2% of max life per second.
  • Witch Doctor:
  • Plague Bats damage should be adjusted to not be attack speed based and non-stacking like Rend.
  • Pet force armor should have a limit and not lead to near invincible pets.
  • Hex should have a chance to miss or should be a single hex cast per fetish shaman.
  • Wizard:
  • Galvanizing Ward should restore 2% of max life per second.
  • Teleport cooldown should be reduced slightly.
  • Meteor and Arcane Mines should be barely visible to enemies.
  • Mirror Images should break all CC effects.
  • Edited by Iria#1342 on 8/12/2013 12:18 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    last quewstion what stats do i look for in innas pants... they either have really high dex or really high vit
    Reply Quote
    The 90-100 dex, 190-200 vit ones are much cheaper than the 190-200 dex, 90-100 vit ones. Either is fine though. Avoid all resistance on Inna's though since the 200 vit is generally better EHP-wise than 80 all resist unless your resists are really low.
    Edited by Iria#1342 on 8/12/2013 3:06 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    why dont you use witchin hour at all? looks like it can have halfway decent stats. If you could look at my demonhunter and tell me what to work on next id appreciate it. My nats ring is ok but was wondering if I should do better on it. It has no average damage but it has great vit/resists/dex. Pretty sure it needs 9% although mines only 8%... will that effect me at all?

Do you ever use calmity for anything??? pve??

on balanced build have you thought about maybe switching nats helm with mempo and nats ring with Litany??
    Edited by PsYk1K#1423 on 8/16/2013 2:23 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    bump
    Reply Quote
    I think Iria already covered most if not everything about DH pointers in PVP. I would only play PVP again until certain improvements are made.

As much as I miss playing PVP I could not stand players escaping in the portal. Sometimes its funny but most of the time annoying. lol
    Reply Quote
    Witching Hour is fine too but you need a very high end one.

Attack speed doesn't matter unless you are aiming for Rapid Fire breakpoints.

Calamity is for PVE.

Mempo and Litany are used in my tank build at the cost of discipline.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]