Diablo® III

Ultra Budget CM/WW Guide [WEEKLY GIVE AWAYS]

This must be fate -- I came to the forums looking for guidance on how I should gear my Wizard once he reaches 60, and this thread was the first one that I saw. Thank you for creating it -- fantastic!

I already knew from prior forum reading that endgame builds revolve around either Archon or CM (or both). I'm surprised that a CM build is the one that I should be aiming for; I thought Archon was the one that was going to wind up being more budget-minded lol.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the game, and this post is going to really help the fun continue once I get to 60. Thanks again!!
Reply Quote
If you're going HC, I would suggest that you ignore Int on gear and go with Vit/Armor/AR instead. Some of those items come default with Int like Chanto's wand, OH (including the 130 Int bonus), Tal's chest, Storm Crow, BT pants, and Witching Hour. That's already pretty good base Int to start off with.

EHP/mit is what you want, so as long you hit your break points, you can skip Int on the items like shoulders and bracers and go full Vit/Armor/AR (CC for bracers).

88% seems to be what you want for mitigation for SC... I imagine that number would be at least 90~92% for HC.

Right -- if I can find some essences, it makes sense to make vit shoulders and bracers, and let the int fall where it may.

92% might be difficult to reach -- I'd guess that's around 1200AR and 6k armor (d3up.com seems to have a bug; I can't increase armor in items to see the effect on mitigation.)

It looks like the process is to have a non-CM build and farm inferno act 1 mp0 (safely) until you win the crafting lottery.
Reply Quote
If you're going HC, I would suggest that you ignore Int on gear and go with Vit/Armor/AR instead. Some of those items come default with Int like Chanto's wand, OH (including the 130 Int bonus), Tal's chest, Storm Crow, BT pants, and Witching Hour. That's already pretty good base Int to start off with.

EHP/mit is what you want, so as long you hit your break points, you can skip Int on the items like shoulders and bracers and go full Vit/Armor/AR (CC for bracers).

88% seems to be what you want for mitigation for SC... I imagine that number would be at least 90~92% for HC.

Right -- if I can find some essences, it makes sense to make vit shoulders and bracers, and let the int fall where it may.

92% might be difficult to reach -- I'd guess that's around 1200AR and 6k armor (d3up.com seems to have a bug; I can't increase armor in items to see the effect on mitigation.)

It looks like the process is to have a non-CM build and farm inferno act 1 mp0 (safely) until you win the crafting lottery.

I'd actually say that having a CM build is safer since vortex destroys kiting builds. At least you can freeze then and spam diamond skin. If you die on MP0 because your EHP/mit is that bad, you shouldn't be there anyway.. stay in Hell. If it's to lag, then stop playing HC :p

I don't play HC but I'm guessing crafting Vit items would be pretty popular.

This guide really is for SC since death in SC is like sneezing... annoying but really, it does nothing.

Edit:
Updating opening post and will be starting weekly/fortnightly full set give aways on US realms. Check opening post for details soon.
Edited by MrDuMa#1541 on 8/30/2013 7:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks again for the help.

Question: Is there a specific reason to go with Chantodo's Will and Force? It's nice to get the two-set bonus, but prices are just atrocious; whereas with a rare wand, I have more options in prices and stats. I'm guessing for the off-hand, it's probably the same - have to do some research. But, if I can get a rare wand and off-hand with AIS, high average damage, maybe even a socket, will that be ok? Looking at your shopping list, seems like the increased attack speed is the main issue, so would a rare wand and off-hand with AIS, and other stats be good??

I don't mind spending some money (my limit is about 5 mil total), and I already have the Storm Crow, Tal Rasha's chest armor, and a rare set of bracers for probably around 700,000 gold. For example, last night I got into a little bidding war over a Chantodo's wand; I kept upping the bid till I got to 350,000, then the next bid came in at over 11 million, so I was done lol.
Reply Quote
Chantodo's Will (wand) is used because of the +Attack Speed modifier. It is not the same as Increased Attack Speed. +Attack Speed adds a flat 0.21 to 0.25 to your attack speed so a wand's base APS of 1.40 is boosted to 1.61 to 1.65 APS. If you get IAS as your random roll, that APS can be boosted to 1.75 to 1.79 APS. All important to reach 2.51, 2.73 or 3.01 APS.

Chantodo's Force (source) always has IAS (at least 8, max of 9) so it's almost an essential for hitting those break points.

The great thing about both is that they come with a lot of Int (170 - 200 each) and comes with a set bonus of 130 Int and a 7% damage reduction against elites. So even the worst Chantodo's set will give you 470 Int and 7% damage reduction against elites. Very strong.

Just keep looking.. there are a lot of deals around.. just gotta find, and sometimes fight for them.
Reply Quote
Hey MrD hit me up in game. Have something for you
Reply Quote
If you are doing ultra-budget set giveaways, you should add me. I get a lot of low to mid range gear donations - more than I can stash even with 7 mules - for the donor thread. I could start forwarding some of the CM/WW applicable items to you for your budget builds to free up some of my space. ^^

If you like, I could also link this thread in the full gear sets section of my thread for people to check out.

Awesome write-up and ambitions project. I usually set a budget of around 15m when I build sets for people. Building at the extreme low end of things seems like much more of a challenge!
Reply Quote
Chantodo's Will (wand) is used because of the +Attack Speed modifier. It is not the same as Increased Attack Speed. +Attack Speed adds a flat 0.21 to 0.25 to your attack speed so a wand's base APS of 1.40 is boosted to 1.61 to 1.65 APS. If you get IAS as your random roll, that APS can be boosted to 1.75 to 1.79 APS. All important to reach 2.51, 2.73 or 3.01 APS.

Chantodo's Force (source) always has IAS (at least 8, max of 9) so it's almost an essential for hitting those break points.

The great thing about both is that they come with a lot of Int (170 - 200 each) and comes with a set bonus of 130 Int and a 7% damage reduction against elites. So even the worst Chantodo's set will give you 470 Int and 7% damage reduction against elites. Very strong.

Just keep looking.. there are a lot of deals around.. just gotta find, and sometimes fight for them.

Thanks, got it. Didn't understand that, but makes sense now.

Been outbid on 5 items so far, sigh, will keep trying.
Reply Quote
Hey MrDuMa, I just wanted to see what I could do following sorta close to your guidelines just to see what a budget CM wiz is like and it actually works surprisingly well. I had to make some tradeoffs, since prices on bottom tier gear seems to have risen a bit, and I raised my budget a smidge, and ended up spending 1.72 mil on a wiz that seems to be capable of doing MP5-6. I tested for around 10 minutes or so, doing some molten packs, and a reflect pack.

This is what the build would look like with a freshly rolled MP0 wiz:
http://d3up.com/b/1015042

The gearset is also on my paragon 75 wiz atm.

I tested it on a reflect pack, and it can sustain through the reflect, the freeze isn't bad with the deep freeze rune, and I managed to hit the 2.51 bp with 48 crit and 20 APOC.

At this gear level, having 20 APOC is crucial, even over 19. In terms of mit, it's at 83.6% with a paragon 0 character, about 500 AR and 4300 Armor. Also, this set has 68k dps, 206k ehp. Not too shabby for 1.7 mil. To be honest, it's not too far of a stretch to expect someone to have 2 mil by the time they reach 60.

Single target sustain is ok, and apoc returns are acceptable for this amount of money, definitely feels nowhere as smooth as my 1.2 B wiz, but I'm really surprised at how functional this is with under 2 mil of gold.

I got most of the gear by sniping it at the last 5 seconds of the auction.

Here are some of my personal build choices that I did:
1. Did not try for nat combo because atm, it is too expensive, and I found good deals on a couple of other pieces (vile ward and tal chest). Decided to just do rare rings and firewalkers instead, cause firewalkers are practically free.
2. Witching hours are too damn expensive atm for this build! Cheapest ones on bid always go to 500k up. I just chose tal's belt instead, as it is the distant second best option in this range.
3. I went with a chant's set combo because the 130 int + 7 elite reduction is HUGE.
4. I think I overpaid on the socketed ring, but oh well, the other one I got for an ok deal so it evens out.

Once I finish playing around with this build I'm just going to give the set away to someone who needs it.

But yeah, thank you for this guide, it can definitely help some of the newer players kickstart into inferno at low-mid MPs, especially if they shop carefully.

EDIT: One more note, at this price range, you really have to stack mit in some quite non-ideal spots, it was pretty tough to get a decent mit for MP5-6, haha.
Edited by GoSuPanda#1180 on 8/30/2013 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
oh cool nice gear panda, it's actually very similar to my first cm build in terms of stats... but better! wow very nice. looks about mp5 SNS viable
Reply Quote
As a data point, I can put together a 2.737aps CM wiz in HC (60k dps, 380k eHP, 57% crit) for 40mil right now. Note this was built with the best item on the first page sorted by price, so the AR is a bit low.

If only I had the 40mil. Working on it -- maybe I'll get another consolation prize in the second contest!
Edited by mou#1752 on 8/30/2013 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posted by ATGOWTWT
If you are doing ultra-budget set giveaways, you should add me. I get a lot of low to mid range gear donations - more than I can stash even with 7 mules - for the donor thread. I could start forwarding some of the CM/WW applicable items to you for your budget builds to free up some of my space. ^^

If you like, I could also link this thread in the full gear sets section of my thread for people to check out.

Awesome write-up and ambitions project. I usually set a budget of around 15m when I build sets for people. Building at the extreme low end of things seems like much more of a challenge!

I actually still have a lot of my old gear that's pretty mid low/mid tier, and for some reason, I haven't even tried to sell yet. Maybe it's one of those sentimental things but the real dumb thing is, sometimes I even vendor or salvage better stuff than it :s

Thanks for the offer, but I'm intentionally doing this via AH only so I can keep to the budget. Having a 1.5m set with a mid tier item that can easily sells for more than 1.5m sorta defeats the purpose. Linking this thread would be great to your full set donations thread. A pretty good project you have going there!

Posted by GoSuPanda
Hey MrDuMa, I just wanted to see what I could do following sorta close to your guidelines just to see what a budget CM wiz is like and it actually works surprisingly well. I had to make some tradeoffs, since prices on bottom tier gear seems to have risen a bit, and I raised my budget a smidge, and ended up spending 1.72 mil on a wiz that seems to be capable of doing MP5-6. I tested for around 10 minutes or so, doing some molten packs, and a reflect pack.

It's pretty challenging but fun at the same time experimenting with what's possible at the lowest gear level. This build functions at a very low cost, even lower if you go for the bare basics (APS breakpoint + CC on items that have them only and mit on pieces that don't) where even blue items are sufficient, but mitigation takes a huge hit. Really, as long as you hit the breakpoint and around 45CC, this build will function.

This is what the build would look like with a freshly rolled MP0 wiz:
http://d3up.com/b/1015042

Damn, that's a lot more mit than my 2.31 APS set. I couldn't get any deals on Viles at the time. Everything was at least 300k, even the bids with 5 minutes left. Pretty solid though. As I mentioned, I'll be doing the same thing for a 2.51 and 2.73 APS set in the coming weeks for give aways. I never actually considered a non-Chanto set before Amos pointed out a 2.31 APS build so getting that combo again will be hugely beneficial.

At this gear level, having 20 APOC is crucial, even over 19. In terms of mit, it's at 83.6% with a paragon 0 character, about 500 AR and 4300 Armor. Also, this set has 68k dps, 206k ehp. Not too shabby for 1.7 mil. To be honest, it's not too far of a stretch to expect someone to have 2 mil by the time they reach 60.

Agreed on the amount of APoC is required. I have 19 APoC on my 2.31 set and it's noticeable how many times you hear "Need more arcane power." When you have higher attack speed, it's not as terrible though so it's a bit of a balance between that and CC. With this set, I went the ET CC way (thanks to that VotA speed run thread) to further boost the CC. I could have went Deep Freeze as the rune, but I only tested with Cold Snap to make up for 19 APoC instead of 20.

Here are some of my personal build choices that I did:
1. Did not try for nat combo because atm, it is too expensive, and I found good deals on a couple of other pieces (vile ward and tal chest). Decided to just do rare rings and firewalkers instead, cause firewalkers are practically free.
2. Witching hours are too damn expensive atm for this build! Cheapest ones on bid always go to 500k up. I just chose tal's belt instead, as it is the distant second best option in this range.
3. I went with a chant's set combo because the 130 int + 7 elite reduction is HUGE.
4. I think I overpaid on the socketed ring, but oh well, the other one I got for an ok deal so it evens out.

1. I was sitting on bids for about a week for both Nat's boots and ring. The ring ended up going for around 170k and the boots for about 80k (lol).
2. Exact same thing as Nat's... ended up being 120k.
3. I still consider 2.73 APS the ideal APS, especially for people who are just starting the build since it offers more flexibility and it's simply easier to use. Chant's is a must for that.
4. I got some unbelievable deals.. my gloves... 14k. Bracer.. 11k. Hell, Slorak's and The Oculus were both 30k! If it's not Chant's, it's pretty much free.

Thanks heaps for the feedback and taking up the challenge yourself. Shopping for it is pretty fun because you know exactly what you want but you are making compromises left, right and centre trying to stay underneath the budget. It's excrutiating but quite fun. I ended up winning a bunch of shoulders that I'll probably keep for my next set couple of sets.. when it's cheap, what can you do :p

Posted by mou
As a data point, I can put together a 2.737aps CM wiz in HC (60k dps, 380k eHP, 57% crit) for 40mil right now. Note this was built with the best item on the first page sorted by price, so the AR is a bit low.

If only I had the 40mil. Working on it -- maybe I'll get another consolation prize in the second contest!

I still believe that you can build this for 1.5m if you are patient and are willing to wait for low bidding auctions. I could've gotten my total price down a bit if I did that for everything.

Update
Currently uploading the demo video to YouTube now... never upped a full HD video up before and it's taking ages. It's been going for about 10hrs now and it's only a 2:30min video (3.94gb) and it's still only at 75%.

The build I used is slightly different to what I had in the OP. I changed Prismatic Armor for Shocking Aspect and it's fine at MP5 a1 Festering Woods. I should probably have done it on more difficult areas hoping to roll more difficult monster affixes, but I didn't think about it at the time and I don't wanna upload another 4gb file :p

I'll probably be done while I'm at work so I'll post tonight when I get home.
Edited by MrDuMa#1541 on 8/30/2013 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Opening post updated with the video link!

The gear is very effective on MP5. I should've highlighted my ping as well to show that it's still effective playing at around 300 ping.

Anyway, hope this helps people new to the game and looking to gear a CM/WW wizard.
Reply Quote
wow this is shapeing up to be a really cool guide - it's got lots of great tips and gear tricks to reach nice cm levels on the budget.

The sloraks oculus combo was a fantastic insight - i used to run sloraks in ym first build and i used it for ever, i mean it i sloraked the hell out of sns for months as i built my wiz up. I love that it's making a comeback again.

Solid guide gonna request stickey or perhaps a link in the compendium to go along with the budget archon guide. I know there are guides up there but this is really recent 1.0.8a patch viable and market viable so i think it deserves a spot in the compendium moreso now that there are alot fo new players.

Thanks for keeping this updated MrDuMa - i will try to build a 1mill set soon.
Edited by Amos#6777 on 8/31/2013 3:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Amos! The choice for Slorak was born from your 2.31 APS idea. It actually works pretty well.. I reckon it could run MP6 pretty comfortably too. At 52.5CC with Scoundrel, I'm getting 60.5CC Slorak's ET. Crits are consistent enough to freeze and recast DS (Crystal Shell) to survive.

The Oculus was basically the cheapest source with best damage and vit. It'd be pretty awesome if ET CC spawned on it as well.

Thanks for the sticky request and compendium add request.

Aww... you promoted me to DrDuMa for a bit but then demoted me back to MrDuMa :(
Reply Quote
lol yeah everytime i read your name i always read it Dr, but i thought i should make it the proper name, you know, don't want to upset anyone i don't know too well.

but i think i might just run with Dr lol if your cool with that, will save me editing in the future too lol ;)
Reply Quote
hahaha call me whatever. I'm not too fussed.

Really though, thanks for sticky requests etc.. feels like I'm actually doing something here.
Reply Quote
Finished my HC CM wiz gear for abour 53 mil.

A couple of changes: I went with a Storm Crow with socket for the extra health, as well as rare shoulders (100 int, 170 vit, 77AR) which were way cheaper than Vile Wards with less health. (I upgraded the shoulders with a crafted one and sold the originals for more than I paid.)

The amulet was a steal at 2500 gold -- I was the only bidder.

There really weren't any viable builds for much less. I got several items for a really good price. The big expense was the boots for 14 mil (I might have been able to win the bid on a slightly cheaper one for around 7-8 mil but I didn't want to wait one more day.)

I bid and won on 6 items, and bought the other 7 outright.
Edited by mou#1752 on 9/2/2013 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
mou
Good work on your set! Gearing for HC would be much harder on the low budget end because you spend most of your gold trying to reach the APS/CC requirements... not much is left for mitigation.

Still, you hit 2.737/49 with pretty decent life. At least your upgrades will be easier from now (though more expensive)... just concentrate on AR/armor.

Just one suggestion, your Chanto's Force is Int/Str.. though Str is good for armor, I think you would get more from Vit or even a Vit/Str roll.

You can go for crafting Vit bracer looking for CC, AR and Armor. Int shouldn't be a huge deal at the moment. I think it'd be better to raise your DPS by getting a better Chanto's Will rather than risking less EHP.
Reply Quote
no idea how your able to farm 4-5 on that budget, i had (before i spent it a while ago) 20 million to spend on this character over the past year and could never farm past 2 without it taking forever/dying constantly as cm
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]