Diablo® III

How to raise DH DPS

Hiya, I've been playing for awhile and I always see Demon Hunters in public matches with tons of dps. I've seen a few with 300k+ dps and it makes me extremely confused at how they got that much. I only have 130k-ish damage and that is with the skill that increases it by a bunch. Without that skill, I have about 60k damage.

I've tried to balance my gear with Dexterity, AR, and Vitality, but I'm still nowhere near their dps. My budget is extremely small as well. I have about 500k gold at the moment, and I spent about 1 million on my current gear.

Do you have any tips/strategies/tricks to get that much dps with that much gold? Anything helps, thanks!
Reply Quote
Add me Iscariot#1538
Reply Quote
Also you can add me
Reply Quote
Hi Cull,

Your EHP is looking good, around 1100 Vit, 4000 Armor and near 600 AR is great, but if you were to check those profiles of the DHs you have seen in pub games with over 300k DPS you will not find very many running that amount of EHP.

Why you might ask? Because it is expensive, i'm talking ridiculously expensive. I should know because I have spent close to 4B on my gear (not including the Mempo on my profile or including crafting costs for my BOA equips) and my EHP is sitting at around 280k (according to d3up.com) which is far lower then what you would be sitting on (I only have 370 AR and 3500 Armor).

Simply put, to get massive DPS you need to boost your Dex, CC, CHD, Average Damage and Attack Speed modifiers to high numbers (probably stick to that order above as well).

So how to get more DPS? Here are some tips:

- Get over 3000 Dex
- Another method is to get at least 2 Natalya's Solace set items for the 7 CC bonus
- If you want to maintain a little more EHP you could also get 2 Inna's Grandeur set items for the extra 130 Dex bonus, I'm thinking the Inna chest and Inna pants (good Inna's pants are the best source of DPS from pants you can get hands down)
- Get a much much better weapon! If you wish to continue using a Manti then you need to aim for one with over 1000-1100 (keeping your budget in mind here) DPS with 2 sockets, 90+ CHD and Int. Go for Int because it keeps the cost real low. I just looked on the AH and I can see plenty with a vendor price listing with no b/out, they won't stay at that listing price but with a little bit of sniping practice I am sure you could snatch one for less then 100-200k (there is however one currently sitting there with 1049k DPS, 2 Socket, Int 170+ & Vit 70+ with 100 CHD for 500k b/out which I used as a reference point).
- Crafting!!! One of the best ways to gear up on the cheap if you are lucky!!, never give up with crafting, my Razerspikes on my profile I crafted on the 55th attempt, whilst they don't have AR, they would be a huge boost to your DPS!
- Don't be afraid to lose some (or actually quite a bit) of your EHP (so your AR in particular), you will have to make sacrifices to gain more DPS unless you have billions to spend on each item slot, a good aim for Armor/AR is 10/1 - so as a guide, if you have 3000 Armor, try to maintain 300 AR (I wouldn't recommend dropping below the above unless your DPS is huge - say 300+ unbuffed with SoJ)
- Try out a cheap Dex only (no Vit) Andariel's Visage (DO NOT get one with high Fire % - keep it lower then 6-7 if possible), the CC of 4.5 and Atk Spd of 8-9% + Dex for this slot is a good cheap source of DPS (at the great cost of EHP however - you have been warned)

Just remember that the higher your DPS gets, the better Shadow Power's 15% lifesteal bonus gets. I Just noticed that your build doesn't include SP, I would swap out RoV for SP if you want to snapshot Rapid Fire for the LS, that way you don't have to reapply SP unless you are CCd and subsequently stopped from channeling RF.

I would also suggest swapping out Sharpshooter (unless you are standing around waiting for your CC to reach 100% after every battle it's wasted IMO) for Vengeance (good for low MP) and then when your CC gets close to 40+ pop on Nightstalker for more Disc if you need it.

With your budget the majority of the above is going to be pretty unaffordable for really decent gear, but try to get the set pieces anyways (even cheap ones) and the weapon as they will boost your DPS (weapons give the greatet DPS boosts) via the set bonuses! Try crafting as well, just a few at a time if your budget allows, you never know as a godly craft could be waiting for your next craft!

Silver
Reply Quote
Thanks, I appreciate the responses! I'll try out some of your suggestions and see how it goes. I may have gone a little overboard with the survivability on this character because I always got 1-hit in inferno, so I basically buffed him up as much as I could.
Reply Quote
Retry the add sry dude!
Reply Quote
Short response - Start stacking crit chance (to at least 50%) and as much crit damage as you can get... Attack speed is also a nice bonus, but if you're using rapid fire, you'll probably want to pay close attention to your attacks per second and your rapid fire breakpoints. And of course, you want dex on every item slot you have (rings can be the exception).
Reply Quote
Hi Cull,

Your EHP is looking good, around 1100 Vit, 4000 Armor and near 600 AR is great, but if you were to check those profiles of the DHs you have seen in pub games with over 300k DPS you will not find very many running that amount of EHP.

Sorry? is that a general statement? I have 707k EHP and 317kdps unbuffed. So yes you can see people with that amount of EHP and DPS.

Yes I spent a lot of gold, but it's not different without the Ehp either, I've been looking for upgrades, for example gloves and even giving up of AR the price would be about the same I paid for the ones I'm wearing. Inna's pants with high dex are very expensive, with high vit, they are also very expensive. With AR they are cheap. So actually for pants Ehp is not expensive at all.
Edited by Woogmoog#1877 on 8/10/2013 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/10/2013 06:57 PMPosted by Woogmoog
I have 707k EHP

you are at 310k EHP unbuffed.

http://d3up.com/b/955649#gear
Reply Quote
08/10/2013 08:11 PMPosted by Saturn
I have 707k EHP

you are at 310k EHP unbuffed.

http://d3up.com/b/955649#gear

Haha, thanks Saturn, you saved me the trouble!

:-)
Reply Quote
You can achieve it, drop some ar, 400 ar is fine for a dh

I am at 360k dps unbuffed, 402k dps just using archery
647k unbuffed ehp

Its possible, if i went manti i could prob get my dps closer to 400k dps unbuffed.

Keep on trucking. One piece at a time is the way i did, when you upgrade go big on one piece and move to the next. Upgrading in smaller increment s will cost you way more in the long run.

Good luck to you.
Reply Quote
Hello Cull,

I've been working on my DH since May 2012, and there's still more I can do.

Some DPS advice I have, from my experience in gearing with semi limited budget, is as follows:

1) Some slots, such as pants, boots, chest, and belt benefit greatly from set items; these items help your DPS a lot, even if they're not that well rolled (e.g. inna's pants), thus you can go cheap on these items to start, and get marginal upgrades later on.

2) The jewelry slots are very important! This is where you need to break out those Pirate chests full of gold. ;) In choosing jewelry, you really ought to get three of the 4 main damage affixes + main stat.

3) A good pair of gloves really helps your DPS. I suggest crafting some. Oh, and you need CC on them. It boggles my mind when I see people wearing gloves without CC. Why is CC so important on Gloves? Well, Gloves and rings can both roll 50% CHD, but rings can only roll 6% CC while gloves can roll 10.
Reply Quote
I was going to ask a similar question with a similarly tiny budget. It sounds like most of you are recommending giving up some ehp? I've played this game almost exclusively solo though, and I've been reluctant to get too squishy.
Reply Quote
@ MrDweezil

Just checked your d3up.com profile. Looks like you are currently sitting on 400k+ EHP. This is nice and all but if you want to greatly increase your DPS on the cheap unfortunately it is inevitable, you will have to sacrifice some of it to up your DPS (139k on d3up.com) to over 200k + with a very tight budget whilst maintaining your current EHP level.

That's not to say that you can't have awesome EHP + DPS! Just have a look at Crymore's profile :-)

What I am saying is that it will cost you an arm and a leg by comparison :-(

I play solo the majority of the time as well (frequently running VOTA on MP6), and IMO I find 280k EHP sufficient when sitting @ over 250k DPS.

Silver
Edited by Silver#6986 on 8/11/2013 10:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Crymore only has 338k ehp.

http://d3up.com/b/959479

@op, You can give up ehp as your damage raises because life steal will support you better... more damage=more life. It is a delicate balance that only get's more expensive over time. One thing I would do first is look for jewelery that includes high average damage, that should add a decent amount of damage for an acceptable price.

Feel free to add me if you like, I might be able to help a bit in game.
Edited by Frothy#1207 on 8/12/2013 2:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote

http://d3up.com/b/959479

@op, You can give up ehp as your damage raises because life steal will support you better... more damage=more life. It is a delicate balance that only get's more expensive over time. One thing I would do first is look for jewelery that includes high average damage, that should add a decent amount of damage for an acceptable price.

Feel free to add me if you like, I might be able to help a bit in game.

Ok i looked at diqblo progress to get my ehp which is obviously way off from what d3up shows.
If im that low on d3up, is there someone out there that has the dps and 6-700kehp on d3up.

Think this where the confusion came in even above with the person thwt says 707k ehp, prob looked at diqblo progress also.

And if thwts th case 300-350k ehp per d3up willdoyoumore than fine op
Reply Quote
Apart from what already has been said, DH has a number of skills that buff your dps:

- Caltroops: Bait the Trap - 10%cc
- Archery
- Cull the Weak - 15% dps
- Marked for Death 12% dps
- Steady Aim
- Sharpshooter

try to optimize your gear so that you can use some of them. Experiment, this class is all about experimenting and that what makes it so much fun after all :)

Second, decide if you want to deal one-source dmg (probably RF) or go for multi-source (preferably Bola + Spike Trap + anything else you want)

08/10/2013 03:21 PMPosted by Cull
I've been playing for awhile and I always see Demon Hunters in public matches with tons of dps.

When it comes to DHs the paper DPS is not neccessarily correlate with eDPS, so no worries.
Reply Quote
They're probably using a combination of a 2pc Inna's set and a 2pc Nat's set. Those will give you +120 Dexterity and +7% crit chance, respectively.

For the Nat's set, people usually go for the chest and pants, and then the ring & boots for the Nat's set.

As for the other slots, a lot of people will use a CC Mempo (those are QUITE expensive, but it will be worth every single gold piece if you can find/buy one, as it will likely be a HUGE upgrade over your Nat's helm) and either dropped or crafted rares. I've also seen demon hunters use a Stone of Jordan with high damage vs. elites and some type of skill bonus. As for the belt, Witching Hour is the best, but you likely won't find a decent one with dex without spending a ton of gold. (I was lucky enough to drop mine on my Barb.) One with good stats and resistance are very expensive.

Oh, and if you ever get a Calamity, put a ruby in it instead of an emerald... you'll get more damage. Putting a ruby in mine gives me +20k damage over putting an emerald in it. I have no idea why, but that's the way it works.

That being said, you can buy a cheap Inna's chest, and that alone will boost your damage quite a bit. But of course, you sacrifice the Grenades bonus. Also keep in mind that you should remove all gems from your Nat's chest before comparing, as the system doesn't take damage from gems into account when comparing items, unfortunately.

As for the helm, you can probably find a cheap rare helm with CC, socket, and higher dex, and that will also boost your damage. (I just saw one with 157dex 109vit 4.5cc and socket for 3 million on AH. Search for those stats, and you'll find it if it hasn't already been bought out by the time you get back on.)

And finally, for the sake of all that is holy, upgrade your gems! :P
Edited by MimSiEOD#1720 on 8/13/2013 8:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry? is that a general statement? I have 707k EHP and 317kdps unbuffed. So yes you can see people with that amount of EHP and DPS.

Yes it was, I also think it's a safe statement to make based on my experience.

08/12/2013 02:37 AMPosted by Frothy

**smacks face**

That's what I get for not checking lol

is there someone out there that has the dps and 6-700kehp on d3up

Well... I was curious, so I've just spent a couple of work lunch breaks sifting through most of the SC DH profiles from here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281828453

and here (original thread):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006345885?page=1

So, using d3up.com (I have never bothered with diabloprogress personally so I can't be bothered checking there as well) I checked their profiles for EHP!

For comparison, the following is a list of DHers with high (unbuffed) EHP and decent DPS (roughly gauged, basically more then MrDweezil's current profile for EHP & DPS) in no particular order. Keep in mind that some of these people no longer main a SC DH or have moved on completely. Nonetheless they are still great as a reference point.

Here's the list:

REVRAC#1267 - 759k (209k DPS unbuffed)
Xenophis #1434 - 764k (207k DPS unbuffed)
Beast#1449 - 738k (336 DPS unbuffed)
assdaddy#1807 - 504k (197k DPS unbuffed)
BLKDRGN#1787 - 429k (421k DPS unbuffed... OMG AMAZEBALLS! My personal fav)
Spartacus#1873 - 756k (171k DPS unbuffed)
BelowZero#1346 - 612k (307k DPS unbuffed)
Kobayashi#3747 - 627k (314k DPS unbuffed)
Fatum#1415 - 636k (189k DPS unbuffed)
Jd007#1506 - 514k (287k DPS unbuffed)
coolfoolboo#6399 - 596k (262 DPS unbuffed)
AuJo#6730 - 553k (225k DPS unbuffed)
Calcstud#1420 - 492k (284k DPS unbuffed)
pigro#1491 - 787k (241k DPS unbuffed)
Synozeer#155 - 789k (195k DPS unbuffed)
Lmagichd#1538 - 545k (173k DPS unbuffed)
Nash#6830 - 470k (342k DPS unbuffed)
Jishinya#6835 - 445k (200k DPS unbuffed)
Merlin#1312 - 497k (221k DPS unbuffed)
Cyon#1808 - 814k (168k DPS unbuffed)
BurningJC007#1355 - 421k (391k DPS unbuffed... Awesome work!! )
Naeblis#1222 - 639k (198k DPS unbuffed)
skp#1805 - 521k (282k DPS unbuffed)
Surfinn#1296 - 463k (214k DPS unbuffed)
Shdwflare#1288 - 513k (274k DPS unbuffed)
Iria#1342 - 849k (227k DPS unbuffed)
ARG#1621 - 421k (419k DPS unbuffed... MOOAARRR EPIC!!)
Lasker#1629 - 406k (179k DPS unbuffed)
demonbudgie#1629 - 460k (177k DPS unbuffed)
Boo0701#6379 - 464k (339k DPS unbuffed)
DarKLideR#1188 - 491k (281k DPS unbuffed)
BAMBAM#6836 - 728k (195k DPS unbuffed)
dawgiestyle#1127 - 577k (389k DPS unbuffed)

Special mention goes to:

RichieDagger #1866 - 1,213k!!!! (DPS unbuffed only 40k though pfft! :-) which is great if you like poking them demons with a butter knife!

Question is... how much did it cost you to get there?

Silver#6986 - 282k (232k DPS unbuffed)

Cost: approx 6.5B and I still have a ways to go.

@ OP, MrDweezil and anyone else who reads this thread asking the same questions.. if you have the budget originally stated in OP (500k) you are really going to struggle raising your DPS whilst maintaining EHP, that's just how it is... There has been some great points made already though, just keep pushing and eventually you will get to where some of the profiles listed above are at (being P100 or close to helps a bit too)!!!

Silver
Edited by Silver#6986 on 8/13/2013 10:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok so there is then according to d3up.com

Jesus i spent so much time on my dh to get to 360k unbuffed and 338k ehp cost a hell of a lot of gold and over 80k elite kills. Kudos to those n your list
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]