Diablo® III

What is the Best Balance Monk Thread?

Long time ago, some players said the best balance monk thread for MP10 should meet 92% TDR. I found some of good monks can reach this thread but they use OWE but seldom without OWE passive. Anyone can meet this golden 92% TDR with/without OWE.

==================================================================
The Basic Balance Monk Thread (2/5/5/5):
200,000+ PDPS
50,000+ HP
5,000+ Armor
500+ AR
90%+ TDR and HP:EHP = 1:10+
Dual LS / Single LS + LoH / Single LS + Globes + Pickup Radius
The Assistant BalanceThread:
12% Melee dmg reduction
7% Elite dmg reduction

On the other hands, what is the best balance monk to you? Please speak out your opinion and post your current stat (D3up).
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 1/23/2014 6:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
TRD?
Reply Quote
I think he means total damage reduction
Reply Quote
I dunno, I consider myself pretty balanced in my opinion. Am I "THE" most balanced? Not by a long shot probably.

Still... I think I've done alright. ^_^
Reply Quote
He's asking if anyone has 92%+ mitigation/total damage reduction without using OwE.

Because it's almost a rule of thumb for a monk too be very balanced if they have 92%+ mitigation
Reply Quote
I'm well aware of what he's asking for....

Did I mention anything saying that I fit his criteria? No. I merely said that "I" consider myself balanced.

Please read before trying to call someone out. It's trivial semantics either way. Unless your calling on the forums is to be a '1 up King'. \o.o/
Reply Quote
08/12/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Nahsi
Did I mention anything saying that I fit his criteria? No. I merely said that "I" consider myself balanced.
Well I mean that's kind of why I called you out.

You were answering a question that wasn't being asked.

And since you are trying to backhand your post to me, honestly why don't I just stop trying to be polite.

What's the point in your first post on this thread? You're a balanced monk good for you, it didn't help promote the thread or help answer the question.

imo it feels like you are trying to brag.

w/e I don't want drama, I just don't understand why you started this unnecessary hostility.
Reply Quote
He's asking if anyone has 92%+ mitigation/total damage reduction without using OwE.

Because it's almost a rule of thumb for a monk too be very balanced if they have 92%+ mitigation

I would debate having 92% TDR is a measure for balance. To me, that's only part of the equation, answering the eHP side of things. If you are talking balance, then...

Along the lines of:
90%+ TDR, (something similar to 500AR / 5000armor)
200k+ pDPS
50k+ HP

No matter how you get there in terms of gearing, I would call you balanced :)
For all I know, you might get 93% TDR, and have 50k DPS. That is rather lop sided. and not balanced.
Reply Quote
I am.

You're all scrubs!!!!

Nah there was a guy interested in buying my old MH before I sold it to edz - i'll try track him down, his monk was absolutely insane in terms of balance. Huge dps coupled with huge AR and life.
Reply Quote
I'm only ~90% without OwE, I'll get to it eventually. Just don't look at my pdps!
Reply Quote
200k+ pDPS
50k+ HP
I agree, haha i don't think he just meant tdr alone, since saying that focusing one stat/characteristic alone is quite the opposite of balance.

Now.. just waiting for angelthirst to say something about yin and yang, maybe fit chimera in there.
Reply Quote
Why does it have to be without OWE ?

OWE is my friend!

If you don't use spirit spenders then there is no reason not to use it.

But...even with OWE I just miss the mark...sob...I've lost my balance...fallen and I can't get up.
Reply Quote
There are many balanced monks out there. With and without OWE. Does the path taken really matter when the destination is the same? :)

Oh, just wondering OP, why is 92 the magic number?
Edited by Wannabee808#1418 on 8/12/2013 8:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The 500/5000/50000 prescribed formula only gives you about 500,000 eHP, which for me isn't enough for any type of sustain to heal you particularly since you can get one-shotted by several attacks in Sanctuary, namely the Fallen Maniacs of Keep Depths 2, Savage Beast charging moves, Rakanoth's Charging move, a dead Molten affix elite with an aftermath explosion upon death, etc.

A balanced build is something that's comfortable by the player across any MP, you might be balanced for something lower level or higher level depending on the quality of your gear. Imagine the equipment you have but a cheaper version. All the principles of the build are in place but you have severely less CC%, CD%, IAS%, stat rolls, and res rolls. It could still be deemed balance.

I personally consider myself balanced but others could see it as one-sided.

101169 DPS
1007 RES with OWE
5062 Armor with STI
66294 HP
43% CC
200% CD
2.76 APS
4020 LoH

94.02% TDR

I have enough DPS to take out packs that isn't drawn out, but nothing lightning fast. I like the playstyle I've been polishing since 1.03 with a hybrid focus but the desire to tank through damage.

Though I don't have the 200k DPS required by some in the Monk community, I enjoy being able to sit there on an arcane beam and just power through it without moving.
Repositioning quickly is okay, but I don't like running. I see some monks in public games just run away completely and fight white trash for spirit to spam spirit spenders for burst LS healing, only to run away again and repeat. Or Barbs for that matter, having to run to a pack of white trash to drop tornados to keep Thrive on Chaos running. The running away, just seems a bit weak and pathetic to me. Strategy sure, but not my cup of tea.
Reply Quote

I would debate having 92% TDR is a measure for balance. To me, that's only part of the equation, answering the eHP side of things. If you are talking balance, then...

Along the lines of:
200k+ pDPS
50k+ HP

No matter how you get there in terms of gearing, I would call you balanced :)
For all I know, you might get 93% TDR, and have 50k DPS. That is rather lop sided. and not balanced.

Sound pretty good opioion and similar to what i thougtht. I think that is quite a good thread to define the best balance monk.
Reply Quote

OWE is my friend!

But...even with OWE I just miss the mark...sob...I've lost my balance...fallen and I can't get up.

Fleet footed is so far superior, and your build includes bells so i'm not sure where you are coming from, for your build ES is OP as all hell compared to OWE...
Reply Quote

OWE is my friend!

Rockshow

I dont defend any OWE monk. If you put OWE passive on, the resistance can get higher easily. I found most of monk can reach this 92% TDR. Because they are all using OWE. From my point of view, the best balance monk should get rid of OWE even dont use Serenity skill too.
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 8/13/2013 5:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diabro3 says my gear is good, except for my shoulders and head. I'm working on upgrading shoulders and would like a better set of trifecta gloves.

Am I balanced? With my sad dedication to the ancient ways of Sweeping Winds and Combination Strike with no Bells and no Tempest Rush, I can't possibly be balanced.

And I loves me some fleet footed.Don't go anywhere without it, the full gear bonus, fists a'blazing.

Somebody, please tell me how to get more items for "Shut Up And Take My Money"... I keep doing the 4 possible sellers in the Oasis and looking for the little girl in Blackrock Mines, over and over and over. I need like FIVE things to complete the quest, not just one. I am DEAD and THIS is HELL.
Reply Quote
This is my favorite spec for my main monk:

240K with WKL 24%
Dual LS
60K HP
550 All Res
5300 Armor
12% Melee dmg reduction
7% Elite dmg reduction

This build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUkbSY!VXg!aZaccc

GG Balanced for me. Pretty much facetanking everything.

This was one of the sample runs I had.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWISIJJ9gZE
Reply Quote
I think I'm quite balanced:
http://d3up.com/b/962415/300k-balanced-2 - 300k dps (+ WKL 25%), 819k ehp, 91.89% TDR
http://d3up.com/b/962393/300k-balanced - 303k dps (+ WKL 25%), 685k ehp, 92.35% TDR
Edited by seege#2321 on 8/12/2013 11:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]