Diablo® III

What is the Best Balance Monk Thread?

I think my monk is pretty balanced w/o OWE.
2.04 - 2.19 aps
190k damage (emerald in MH would give around 200k but bells are much stronger with the ruby)
48.5% crit chance, 385% crit damage
457k EHP w/o dodge, 945k with dodge,
Life is ~40k so that could certainly be improved. I like mitigation better than a massive life pool even though vitality gives far and away more EHP than anything else right now.
91.27% damage reduction. 7% reduced elite damage probably puts that over 92% for elites.
I got 700 fire resist and 625 for the other (important) resists. I used to do a lot of VoA so I stacked extra fire resist for the flame sentries but I've mostly been doing just FoM runs recently so I'd like some poison and physical resists to help against the poison trees and savage beast charges instead.
Reply Quote
I think my monk is pretty balanced w/o OWE.
2.04 - 2.19 aps
190k damage (emerald in MH would give around 200k but bells are much stronger with the ruby)
48.5% crit chance, 385% crit damage
457k EHP w/o dodge, 945k with dodge,
Life is ~40k so that could certainly be improved. I like mitigation better than a massive life pool even though vitality gives far and away more EHP than anything else right now.
91.27% damage reduction. 7% reduced elite damage probably puts that over 92% for elites.
I got 700 fire resist and 625 for the other (important) resists. I used to do a lot of VoA so I stacked extra fire resist for the flame sentries but I've mostly been doing just FoM runs recently so I'd like some poison and physical resists to help against the poison trees and savage beast charges instead.

Although you have 91.27% TDR, your HP:EHP ratio are quite low I think. The basic should be 1:10 and the best is 1:12+. Yes, if you can increase your HP, it would be better.
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 9/9/2013 12:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 06:54 PMPosted by jco310
As others have mentioned, if you are not dying more than once or twice a run and can farm efficiently, I'd say you are balanced. Play however you wish and have fun.

I think we are talking about the same thing (efficient and seldom dying) but different builds. Generally, S&B monk is low ias & dps and big hp pool but DW monk is high ias & dps and average hp. S&B monk relies on good shield with high dex, vit, ar, cc, and decent block rate. Typically, most of S&B monk has good AR, because the shield. But DW monk is not easy to get good AR. S&B monk with good AR, but low ias and single LS causes S&B monk needing more HP to increase their sustainability. You are right! If you dont die too much you are balance. DW monk tries to farm efficient with this goal too, but they are without shield and killing elites fast. You know most of glass cannon monk dies quickly because of their unbalance gears although they have excellent dps. S&B monk farms efficient, but many gamers may not like this gear approach. It is just my personal opinion. Well, when xpac release out, the new character may change S&B stylish. He may be good dps, high ias, and pretty tanky with balance enough I think. Let see!
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 9/9/2013 1:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow really nice and balanced monks out here. Mine is still running a little bit of OWE...
Reply Quote
09/09/2013 04:30 AMPosted by Mole
Wow really nice and balanced monks out here. Mine is still running a little bit of OWE...

Your monk is quite balance, but I cant see u sticking with OWE!
Reply Quote
Balanced 2H OWE-free monk here!

241,888.21 DPS / 51,234 HP / 5.6% LS
5,365.5 Armor / 546.4 All Resist
90.53% TDR / 1:10.56 HP:EHP Ratio

If I swap the Wailing Host ring out for a Litany ring, I'd be showing:

234,863.66 DPS / 51,234 HP / 5.6% LS
5,361.5 Armor / 611.4 All Resist
91.19% TDR / 1:11.35 HP:EHP Ratio

Not the best, but definitely effective for my purposes.

Have a tiny bit more tweaking to go... just waiting for a good pair of nats boots to show up on AH for me to buy.
Reply Quote
I'd say I have a decently balanced non-OWE monk as well.

Stats straight off of d3up

DPS: 208,682.76
EHP: 825,354.72
TDR: 93.84%
HP:EHP Ratio: 1:16.24
LS: 3%

I never wanted to rely on OWE, so all res rolls were quite important to me.
Reply Quote
09/09/2013 12:42 AMPosted by ManUnited
As others have mentioned, if you are not dying more than once or twice a run and can farm efficiently, I'd say you are balanced. Play however you wish and have fun.

I think we are talking about the same thing (efficient and seldom dying) but different builds. Generally, S&B monk is low ias & dps and big hp pool but DW monk is high ias & dps and average hp. S&B monk relies on good shield with high dex, vit, ar, cc, and decent block rate. Typically, most of S&B monk has good AR, because the shield. But DW monk is not easy to get good AR. S&B monk with good AR, but low ias and single LS causes S&B monk needing more HP to increase their sustainability. You are right! If you dont die too much you are balance. DW monk tries to farm efficient with this goal too, but they are without shield and killing elites fast. You know most of glass cannon monk dies quickly because of their unbalance gears although they have excellent dps. S&B monk farms efficient, but many gamers may not like this gear approach. It is just my personal opinion. Well, when xpac release out, the new character may change S&B stylish. He may be good dps, high ias, and pretty tanky with balance enough I think. Let see!

This ^

@ManU

yes, if not easy to get balance monk without shield especially DW monk. has long time never playing S&B with my barb but I still kept my shield :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/N1K0-1135/hero/28836122

you can see the shield in my Templar, my barb can go more than 800 AR(without War Cry), 100khp and 5.7% LS (change DD with Rare pants, WH with IK Belt, SOJ with rare ring AR and Vit and Rare brances streng, VIT, AR)... BUT I kill elits so slow, especially when Fam and ubers time... that make me boring and not efficient.

monk have great skill, especially buff damage. I really like WOL, that amazing damage skill but to used WOL (especially when full buff : Faith in the light + Overawe) really need nice balance gears because the Big damage will be problem with 3 RD (one shout with WOL full buff). base my experiment, HP:EHP = 1:10 and TRD = 90%+ ( physical AR almost 600 and 5400 Armor) the best for my monk for this moment :-)
Reply Quote
Ehp is not the answer to everything. For example monk #1 has 100k hp, 3k armor, 400res and monk #2 has 50k life, 6k armor, and 800res. They both have the same ehp but monk #2 clearly has the better setup due to higher dmg mitigation. So, if your mitigation is high enough, u can run with less life as long as you can gain it back.

Imo, the best way to build a balanced monk is to stack as much armor, res, phys res as you can and then titrate your hp to the point where u don't die to spikes or reflect dmg. U don't even need a shield to be a "tanky" monk. You just need to be able to out heal the dmg u take. And the more dmg you deal (with dw), the more sustain you have.

I run mp8-10 with <50k hp but my res are 600+ with additional phys res and 6.3k armor. With a single lifesteal dw build, I don't have any problems tanking reflect mobs while its active. So my recommendation is to sacrifice vit for res/armor; in most cases, mitigation is superior and you don't need a shield for 92% mitigation
Reply Quote
Balanced 2H OWE-free monk here!

241,888.21 DPS / 51,234 HP / 5.6% LS
5,365.5 Armor / 546.4 All Resist
90.53% TDR / 1:10.56 HP:EHP Ratio

If I swap the Wailing Host ring out for a Litany ring, I'd be showing:

234,863.66 DPS / 51,234 HP / 5.6% LS
5,361.5 Armor / 611.4 All Resist
91.19% TDR / 1:11.35 HP:EHP Ratio

Not the best, but definitely effective for my purposes.

Have a tiny bit more tweaking to go... just waiting for a good pair of nats boots to show up on AH for me to buy.

Yes, me too, my TDR is getting higher to 91% and HP/EHP = 1:11, If i swap to Litany ring. It gives you more AR and melee damage reduction. Although i might lose 10k pDPS, it is more efficient and tank for killing any elites and bosses than without it.

I'd say I have a decently balanced non-OWE monk as well.

Stats straight off of d3up

DPS: 208,682.76
EHP: 825,354.72
TDR: 93.84%
HP:EHP Ratio: 1:16.24
LS: 3%

I never wanted to rely on OWE, so all res rolls were quite important to me.

As I said to JCO and N1K0 responded, it is easy reach the balance monk thread because the shield. But shield also has its limited issues such as low ias, and low dps etc.

Ehp is not the answer to everything. For example monk #1 has 100k hp, 3k armor, 400res and monk #2 has 50k life, 6k armor, and 800res. They both have the same ehp but monk #2 clearly has the better setup due to higher dmg mitigation. So, if your mitigation is high enough, u can run with less life as long as you can gain it back.

Imo, the best way to build a balanced monk is to stack as much armor, res, phys res as you can and then titrate your hp to the point where u don't die to spikes or reflect dmg. U don't even need a shield to be a "tanky" monk. You just need to be able to out heal the dmg u take. And the more dmg you deal (with dw), the more sustain you have.

I run mp8-10 with <50k hp but my res are 600+ with additional phys res and 6.3k armor. With a single lifesteal dw build, I don't have any problems tanking reflect mobs while its active. So my recommendation is to sacrifice vit for res/armor; in most cases, mitigation is superior and you don't need a shield for 92% mitigation

We are talking about the same things, everything what you said are accounted to TDR and HP:EHP ratio.
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 9/11/2013 11:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@manunited: you said in an earlier post that with a shield u need more life, which contradicts my entire post. If you're wearing a shield, you should be able to afford having lower hp since your mitigation is that much higher with 1k+ armor, all res, and high dex.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty happy with where my monk is at balance wise.
Of course, theres always room for improvement.

http://d3up.com/b/1054531

Darph.
Edited by DarphG#1534 on 9/11/2013 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 03:37 PMPosted by kOtic
92% mitigation

You don't need 92% mitigation.
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 11:38 PMPosted by kOtic
@manunited: you said in an earlier post that with a shield u need more life, which contradicts my entire post. If you're wearing a shield, you should be able to afford having lower hp since your mitigation is that much higher with 1k+ armor, all res, and high dex.

It is no contradiction. Armor and All resist are mainly account on TDR ratio not HP. HP is major on EHP calculation. I think you know it. The S&B monk need more hp, because they use single LS and slow iAS. Even they have good AR and armor, life regen is too slow, so need more HP for sustainable.

I forget if you run Nirvana build, you can ignore that TDR 92% thread. I mean you can lower than that 92% thread. Because TR and Nirvana is quite similar build, they are use bell damage. Those builds are less melee attack and damage. On the other hands, Bell can make great damage and refill spirit & life faster than WD (cookie cutter build) and S&B! Therefore, Nirvana build can farm less AR and HP without any problem. If you increase more AR, HP and dual LS, I can say Nirvana is king. Because it is very tanky build.
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 9/12/2013 12:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 11:46 PMPosted by Cayzer

i never said u need to have 92% mitigation. i was just saying you can still achieve high tdr without using a shield using a build like mine. and its balanced bc i can kill mp10 yellow elite pack with just 1 LS weapon during reflect in 5 sec. high dmg + high surivability with single LS build (and <50k hp)
Reply Quote
09/12/2013 02:23 AMPosted by kOtic

i never said u need to have 92% mitigation. i was just saying you can still achieve high tdr without using a shield using a build like mine. and its balanced bc i can kill mp10 yellow elite pack with just 1 LS weapon during reflect in 5 sec. high dmg + high surivability with single LS build (and <50k hp)

Yes, it is works. I also Nirvana fans too. But I played more cookie cutter recently. Relyborn is similar to your gears with dual fists with single Ls under 50hp.
Reply Quote
not quite that similar. hes dw TR utilizing lots of spirit regen gear (and fist), and his build won't be able to face tank reflect. he has to kite during active reflect
Reply Quote
09/12/2013 02:42 AMPosted by kOtic
not quite that similar. hes dw TR utilizing lots of spirit regen gear (and fist), and his build won't be able to face tank reflect. he has to kite during active reflect

lol

Lets play some fun run with u, if you dont mind. Then I can experience how tanky you are!
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 9/12/2013 2:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]