Diablo® III

Reflects Damage

I found myself killed most often by RD when fighting elites. Sometimes I RF the mobs and nothing happens but other times my hp drops like a rock and I have to quickly break off attack, often too late and I die a frustrating death. What's your trick to deal effectively with this? Please share any info you have.
Reply Quote
Hmmm....as long as you cast Shadow Power before you start channeling your RF you should be fine. The lifesteal from sp will continue (not damage reduction from gloom though) while you keep your channel active–even when the sp wears off. If you have to stop and move around you'll have to recast sp and then start the channel over again. Once I figured this out I never had a problem with Rapid Fire / RD again. It was frustrating at first until I learned the trick from the forums.
Edited by Psychos1s#1185 on 8/12/2013 11:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/12/2013 11:25 PMPosted by Ravencaw
What's your trick to deal effectively with this? Please share any info you have.

Out of curiosity, are you snapshotting Shadow Power before using RF? Maybe you aren't actually obtaining the life steal or maybe you are arming traps with out gloom, meaning they've been placed with 0% life steal even though you cast gloom after.

I haven't had issues with RD for a very long time now.
Reply Quote
Sometimes I would die even with SP going. It seems RD has a variable amount of damage which I find frustrating to deal with.
Reply Quote
08/12/2013 11:32 PMPosted by TastySouP
What's your trick to deal effectively with this? Please share any info you have.

Out of curiosity, are you snapshotting Shadow Power before using RF? Maybe you aren't actually obtaining the life steal or maybe you are arming traps with out gloom, meaning they've been placed with 0% life steal even though you cast gloom after.

I haven't had issues with RD for a very long time now.

Yes I definitely have snapshot Sp before RF. As to arming traps which stops the channeling, you might have a point there.
Reply Quote
08/12/2013 11:47 PMPosted by Ravencaw
Yes I definitely have snapshot Sp before RF. As to arming traps which stops the channeling, you might have a point there.

I'm shocked it's killing you at all TBH, its probably the EB's. Maybe give bloodmoon a try, your DH's eHP is pretty damn high as is and the 25% LS heals a lot faster then the 15%, helps deal with multiple damage spikes that come in quick succession.
Reply Quote
You need to be aware of which subsequent skills you use, after casting SP will break your RF channeling. Example like traps, rain of vengeance will affect channeling whereas caltrop and sentry will not.

Or is it the elite you were engaging has Illusionist affixes? You need to be careful with this because once they cast this ability, your LS will no longer continue and RD will kill you immediately. To overcome this, you must not point your mouse directly on the elites but rather somewhere that still deal damages to them. Then, illusionist will not affect your channeling. Similarly, if you are pointing your mouse on Kulle and dealing damage to both Kulle and SB but once Kulle teleport, I will say bye bye to you . Ha ha !

Edit: I also have this habit of casting SP ( during channeling) whenever I see my disc level is full or whenever I sense heavy incoming damage, to take advantage of 5 sec Gloom.
Edited by Cameo#6595 on 8/13/2013 12:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you for the replies, that clears up a lot for me. I think mostly with the traps and others that I got multiple reflects back to me. The point and shoot aspect of RF lulls me into this pattern going in there with guns blazing. lol
Reply Quote
View profile
Just a note

SP does not work at the last second, even if you see that the timer has not yet ended but the effect has already wares off. So if you try to snap it at he last second you don't get any healing as your LS from SP is gone.
^ this might not be true for all runes, but I have found that is what we get from shadow glide. Might need to do a few test.

RD is 10% damage if you do 1m then you take 100k, the damage comes before your healing starts. So you must gear enough reduction and have enough life.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 8/13/2013 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
time for reflect to be removed IMO... in with new affix's out with reflect.
Reply Quote
LS doesn't interact properly with life link. You only LS from one elite after life link mitigation, but you take the full RD from all the elites I believe.
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 11:27 AMPosted by TheArbiter
LS doesn't interact properly with life link. You only LS from one elite after life link mitigation, but you take the full RD from all the elites I believe.

That's terrible! They should fix this.
Reply Quote
I have almost 6% life steal. RD doesn't phase me. xD
Reply Quote
View profile

SP does not work at the last second, even if you see that the timer has not yet ended but the effect has already wares off. So if you try to snap it at he last second you don't get any healing as your LS from SP is gone.
^ this might not be true for all runes, but I have found that is what we get from shadow glide. Might need to do a few test.

Are you absolutely sure about this?

Because I'd have ripped myself to shreds just in the last 2 weeks.
Reply Quote
View profile

Are you absolutely sure about this?

Because I'd have ripped myself to shreds just in the last 2 weeks.

I'm not absolutely sure, as I need to test. I tend to shoot BL until I'm running low on SP then start RF but 1/2 of the time it does not work. so it might be a timing issue. What I have assumed here is because you lose your +30% ms when you get to this last second. I haven't play with the other SP rune for a couple weeks.
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 11:27 AMPosted by TheArbiter

This is not true
Reply Quote
View profile
08/13/2013 06:33 PMPosted by Cameo

This is not true

Yea it not true but not completely false. His statement is correct but his assumption about effect is not a bug. Work as intended.

When you hit a mob you get the reflect damage back at you. So you take 10% of the damage you dealt. But your damage is divided into 2-4 smaller sections when you are fighting a elite pack. The target is giving its damage to another. So the damage you dealt on the one you hit is smaller. The damage number that goes into the other mobs are done by the target you hit not by you so you don't heal back from it.

You will only LS from monsters you hit. And if the player does not have the right amount of mit to reduce that 10% to less than 3%/mobs you will not be healing. You can easily get 90% reduction with Gloom so most play have no problem with a health link + reflect pack.
Reply Quote
OIC, he is talking about Health Link affixes.True then.
Reply Quote
After reading this research below, the above became untrue. Good read and thanks to the person who took time to do this test.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On HL mobs your damage is divided by the number of mobs, not multiplied, so you are doing less damage & the leech you get is for the primary target only, which has already been divided by remaining mobs

here are the numbers with screens for evidence

equipped
a 2-3 hand bow with +20 min amulet
naked shot
http://screencast.com/t/geAxjxcNoJj
shots are for 408 non crit

mob health
http://screencast.com/t/W0dF8ikSj

mob health after being shot 1 target for 408
http://screencast.com/t/GnFlO9y5k
I am hit with 2 reflected

change to all mobs

evenly divided 408/3 = 136 each, nice and perfect no rounding needed

my stats
armor 4629 (1- 4620/(4629+3150)) = 40.6% incoming
physical Resistance 672 (1- 672/(672+315)) = 31.9%

(1- 672/(672+315))*(1- 4620/(4629+3150)) =
total incoming damage
= 12.96%

10% of 136 = 13.6
12.96% of that = 1.76 rounded up to 2 damage
amount of reflection hit me 2

in other words with my mitigation and 10% reflection values I take 1.296% of my own damage back ;

hypothesis you state in OP - you are being hit by the full value, conclusion
I would have been hit for 5.184
i was not.
I am being hit for the displayed values *.1 * .1296

and here is bola shot going off with normal weapons (dual wield 5.4% leech)
http://screencast.com/t/wsjyJlz1

3759 * .01296 = 48.7
7450 *.01296 = 96.5
12025 *.01296 = 155.84

damage I am taking 155, 49 and 96

the 155.84 is creating 155 because 155*.054/5 = 1.674 life
so the 155.84 - 1.674 = 154.166 which is rounded back up to 155

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]