Diablo® III

Calling out players

I understand the reason behind the code of conduct Blizzard has implemented any why they block users being called out due to PKers scamming and general bad behavior. I understand that locking threads that don’t conform to the said code of conduct is the best way to stop a match from becoming a forest fire. Without policies like this I am sure we would see endless threads with copious amounts of defamation slurs and slander.

With everything that’s evolved with the general intranet cafés blogs face book chats… people loose perspectives and loose site that there are humans on the other end of the conversations tweets chats and not bits and bytes.

During my time playing Diablo 3 you grown a connection with your characters and I have been on the losing end of Pkers/scammers. I understand the passion people have shown within the HC community this is a good thing Blizzard. Without passion you merely have a game to support with no community or emotion to deal with. It’s my belief that Blizzard has eclipsed this tbh.

It is human nature to do a couple of things; warn other people of the dangers of fire and to determine what can be done about the root cause of the fire. It is my belief the Blizzard needs to communicate this better than what they are currently doing, which is throwing out the policy statement and locking the thread. This may be the correct action to take and might be the “quick fix” but often this type of email response often alienates the poster and respondents and minimizes their fears.

I am sure this is not the intent of Blizzard,, BUT...Blizzard… What are you doing to prevent forest fires and update your community?
Reply Quote
What do you want them to do?

You can not allow people to call others out for the simple fact that most of these threads have no proof of what they are claiming happened. I could say you ripped me off somehow just because I feel like it. How does that help protect the community?

I'm sure you're not going to like what I'm going to say next but it's the truth. Most scams/ripoffs can not happen unless the "victim" lets it happen. Sure there were things like the unsecure trade window thing in the beginning and the exploit that allowed people to sell a "stack" of an item when only one item would really get traded but those have been fixed and people were warning others about the ripoff without having to call others out and that is allowed as long as you're not educating people on how to do the scam itself.

Telling people how to do an exploit does nothing to protect the community either since all you end up doing is giving the jerks another tool to scam those who do not read the forums and there are plenty of them around. The sheer number of "ZOMG NEW SCAM - I GOT RIPPED OFF" threads posted to "warn others and save them from being taken" proves this. Had those players been reading the forums regularly they would have already seen other posts warning them about the exact method that they got ripped off with.

But the fact remains that the majority of scams can not happen unless YOU let them happen and every one of the methods currently being used is as old as the hills. Blizzard has an obligation to fix exploits it does not have an obligation to, as the con man saying goes, "wise up the suckers".

So I ask again, what do you want them to do?
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 12:17 PMPosted by shreloche
So I ask again, what do you want them to do?

I think when a person provides a screen shot or live stream that provides proof, the gm should lock the thread, delete the accused battletag, and initiate an immediate investigation, or even initiate a ban if the screenshot/stream supports that. Once the investigation ends in a suspension or ban, the battletag of the person banned should be reinstated in the post and a blue note placed in the thread stating that the account was banned or suspended.
This would serve the purpose of reminding the 'amatuer' scammer that there are consequences and also reassure the community that something is being done. If someone provides false or doctored evidence, then they would be auto banned.
You would be surprised how many scammers type out concrete evidence in chat. When I had someone try to pull the item switch scam on me when the game first came out, I pointed out to the person that scamming was like stealing irl. He replied "everyone did it in D2, scamming is part of the game and it's fun, so deal with it". I think that should be enough.

Or when the same guy was doing the gem stack scam and bliz got dozens of reports, screen shots, and even live screen, it should not take so long to ban them. In cases like that I have no problem with them banning the account and then making the person call them to get it back if they are "innocent".
Reply Quote
Again we get knee jerk posts without thought behind them. Blizzard cannot divulge ant action taken against a person in the game that resulted from them scamming , dupeing or whatever. Blizzard has always errored on the side of the person being looked into. This does not mean that they get away with anything, only that if there is a doubt about his guilt they will not administer the harshest penalty. If found to be guilty they may and often do such.
However in any case they cannot report back to the accuser if there is one the actions taken or the results of the actions. It is simply a part of the privacy statement in the eula.
Edited by DeadRu#1893 on 8/13/2013 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
It is human nature to do a couple of things; warn other people of the dangers of fire and to determine what can be done about the root cause of the fire. It is my belief the Blizzard needs to communicate this better than what they are currently doing, which is throwing out the policy statement and locking the thread. This may be the correct action to take and might be the “quick fix” but often this type of email response often alienates the poster and respondents and minimizes their fears.

I understand your point about a standardized response feeling very mechanical, which can leave the recipient feeling unheard, and unappreciated. What's worse is that it's easily made mistake for anyone who communicates similar messages en mass, even if that message is sensitive in nature. Thank you for that feedback, and I wanted to make sure you knew it was heard.

I am sure this is not the intent of Blizzard,, BUT...Blizzard… What are you doing to prevent forest fires and update your community?

While we can't condone a public name and shame for player killers and scammers, we can equip the player base with the tools they need to avoid them. The auction house is there to help facilitate safe and easy transactions between players, and we have patched the game to help reduce griefing through player killing, like combat notifications next to player banners, and preventing monsters from hanging out in New Tristram.

If you have any thoughts on how we could further empower players to protect themselves against these sorts of behaviors, we would highly encourage you to share them. We're always interested in your feedback.
Reply Quote
Grimiku

I also thought Blizzard want us to help u getting this game a better expirience.

BUT

Why your Eu Blizzardfirends just delete topics which actually could help?

Here is the proove:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/de/forum/topic/6297780370

I dont like this. It makes me so angry that i wanted to get banned on eu forums.
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 03:58 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Disable P2P trade windows and add private (password required or non-publicly listed) trading via the auction house. There's no way to cheat that system and you guys can more easily identify and squelch botters.

Sure lets just get rid of what diablo is all about to me: trading face to face and communicating. Ill tell you what, they aren't lying about this generation growing further from human interaction
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 8/13/2013 4:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Does anyone trade gear for gear anymore? I really don't know a single soul who barters.

Because we don't have the tools to do that anymore. The AH runs all trade; trade channels are too small to get a buyer/seller; not enough people use forums.

Trading worked in d1 and d2 because of custom game names. I fully geared my sorc in d2 this week from making a few games saying "bring xxxx" while magic finding. ended up making multiple trades with the same person/others who join. There is still ALOT playing us east ladder by the way

Edit: not to sound like a jackass but I literally can't think of one instance where i was scammed in a trade window in d2 the 10+ years I've played it so it just doesn't seem like an issue of concern to me
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 8/13/2013 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 12:17 PMPosted by shreloche
You can not allow people to call others out for the simple fact that most of these threads have no proof of what they are claiming happened. I could say you ripped me off somehow just because I feel like it. How does that help protect the community?

Some of these players, lets call them predators, have been praying on weak/innocent for many months. You are quite correct in saying they have not broken the T.O.S. and it is the players fault for getting scammed. How do you explain that to an 8 year old? Screen shots have been taken and submitted but nothing can be done because because a transaction was agreed on by 2 people. In real life low life's who prey on the innocent, usually the elderly, do get caught and are dealt with. There is always a sucker out there waiting to get ripped off and i firmly believe that those who have a prior record should be dealt with.
Reply Quote
We don't have the tools? What do you think the trade window is for? You're telling me creating custom games and squatting in them for days on end was a better "tool?" You can still spam the trade chats for barters. Good luck with that.

The trade window is there, yeah? And you're pretty much exaggerating way too much to say we created games days on end? Yeah right bud I can make a game right now, give me any item name, and someone will join in 10 mins or less. Has it ever occurred to you no one trades because spamming the small trade channels are ineffective? Having your items be seen by 99 players vs thousands who scan game names? Like I said, the wrong tools

No matter what you say I'm going to disagree because diablo is all about custom game names and trading to me. People seem to refute all suggestions that are from previous diablos, (especially d2, the most successful game of them all I would say), when a huge population is STILL playing, ontop of all the great reviews and positive experiences people had to say about it after replaying it for years. D3 doesn't have to be an exact copy of d2, but damn, lets atleast use the most successful aspects of the game and add to it, not start completely over
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 8/13/2013 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 04:27 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Diablo is about trading for me as well. I just don't care how the trade is conducted. Actually, I do. I prefer more efficient trading instead of a system that literally dates back to medieval times.

Don't forget the AH is not the only way out. Blizz could have easily made trading the dominant way to obtain items, other than finding them for yourself, by improving the game creating system,
Or a better match making public game system for trades. Call it medieval, it's still the most fun

Edit: I don't care how its conducted either, except using a huge item database on the main screen thy requires me to do nothing but click buyout
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 8/13/2013 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's just a matter of opinion. Managing inventories, spamming lobbies and forums, and creating trade games was not fun for a lot of us, just something we had to do. Given the choice, I will bet you all the gold I have that no one would go back to bartering even if they added custom games just like LOD.

The new generation of diablo players would most likely hate it, yes, but the ones who have been loyal since d1 would love it, but I won't speak for them. I understand they are trying to make the game more appealing to other crowds, but don't take the integrity of the game away Managing inventories and all that weren't exactly fun, but it's part of the challenge and game. D1 didn't even have a stash and I just beat normal on a rogue, and still LOVE the game.
You have to create a game to play no matter what, so why not name it based on the trade you're looking for?

That would boost efficiency ontop of having the AH. For bartering to work in a face to face trade, loot 2.0 would need more standardized items because the gap of how much items are worth right now is way too wide to ever make a deal

All in all: please bring back custom game names, and make trading more secure. (Starting with commas !!!!!!)
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 8/13/2013 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Grimiku
The auction house is there to help facilitate safe and easy transactions between players

That worked out really well for the game, didn't it? :P
Reply Quote
08/13/2013 04:27 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Diablo is about trading for me as well. I just don't care how the trade is conducted. Actually, I do. I prefer more efficient trading instead of a system that literally dates back to medieval times.

Depends I guess. You should not forget, the auction house is a different form of trading, where it works rather like a stock market. The Big advantage of Trading in D2 was that you had a direct interaction with another human beeing, and not just a screen to stare at or bid some gold.

And you really exagerated, days and spaming forums all the time? Sure ... if you had unrealistic expectations. But those are not uncommon with the auction house either, or there would not be topics poping up sometimes with the "I cant sell items anymore!", if you want a specific item in D2, and what you offer is simply not very valuable ... then yeah ... you could spend A LONG time. But the same is true for D3. I can asure you, if you had a nice item in D2, it didnt took long to get people to trade with you. And if that happend, then it was a fun part of the game. D3s auction house is a very ... clean, very efficient and ... sterile way of trading. You call it comfortable. I call it souless. You call D2s trading medieval. I call it interactive.

*Edit, while trading was a bit tedious, it was part of the overall experience though.
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 8/13/2013 5:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The auction house is there to help facilitate safe and easy transactions between players

That worked out really well for the game, didn't it? :P

Actually, it did, it prevented online item stores from being created and kept the item bartering over an ingame auction house, thus dispersing most bartering events. In Path of Exile, bartering is blasted to hell, since the entire infrastructure and economy is bloated with inflation where the value degrades into everyone demanding abhorid prices, regardless of how many items there are. The AH may not be regulated, but I still can relax knowing I am not being ripped off. The system of "take it or leave it" is better then "lets negotiate" 50% of the time, based on most situations. So, to speak for your stupid childish comment, it DID work out for the game, just too many damned whiny kids whining about it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]