Diablo® III

how exactly does Jagged spikes work

As far as i can tell...it ticks twice a second for 6 seconds sooo 12 ticks at 45pct weapon damage.
weapon speed appears irrelevant.
My question is does it do white crits??? Or is damage only based on dex avg damage.
Reply Quote
Weapon speed (attack speed) doesn't increase the frequency of ticks, but the it does raise the damage per tick. I think.

Yes, the crits are white, meaning it does not reset Sharpshooter.
240k dps, 650% CD = ~150k per tick :D
Reply Quote
Weapon speed (attack speed) doesn't increase the frequency of ticks, but the it does raise the damage per tick. I think.

Yes, the crits are white, meaning it does not reset Sharpshooter.
240k dps, 650% CD = ~150k per tick :D

Hm. I'll have to do further testing myself.

I'd like to add that however, because it lasts for 6 seconds, it is possible to cast 5 in quick succession and get a few seconds of 225% (45% x 5 stacked, again not factoring in the above dps traits.)
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 8/14/2013 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh nice to see someone interested in how stuff works ;)

Copy-pasting some data from my DH mechanics notepad. Hopefully you´ll find what you´re looking for.

GAS GRENADES
-> 95% weapon damage initial explosion
-> 0.41667% (25%/60) weapon damage DoT each frame for 3 seconds (25% / sec)
-> explosion + initial DoT damage occur on the same frame
-> DoT stacks
-> DoT damage doesn´t scale with aps
-> DoT LoH response each 30 frames no matter what aps
-> DoT crit roll each 30 frames and affects subsequent frames until the next roll
-> explosion 0.165 proc coefficient DoT 0.165 proc coefficient (0.330 on the initial frame)
-> small grenade 0.25 proc coefficient

TINKERER = 95% * 3 grenades
FIRE BOMB = 123.5% * 1 grenade (95% * 1.3)
STUN GRENADES = 95% * 3 grenades
-> initial damage tick on frame 28-29
-> damage itself unaffected by APS
-> the game checks for a critical hit each 12 frames and the decision affects all subsequent frames until the game checks for another crit no matter what aps you have
RESOURCE
-> activation (discipline response) on frame 4-5
LIFE ON HIT
-> initial LoH response on the same frame as initial damage tick (28-29)
-> subsequent LoH responses occur each 12 frames (5 times per second) no matter what aps you have
-> 0.333 proc coefficient
ADDITIONAL INFO
-> doesn´t proc Nightstalker
-> first damage tick on frame 35
-> damage doesn´t stack
-> damage unaffected by aps
RESOURCE
-> activation (disc response) on frame 5
LIFE ON HIT
-> first LoH tick on the first damage tick (frame 35)
-> subsequent LoH ticks after each 30 frames no matter what aps
-> 0.500 proc coefficient
ADDITIONAL INFO
-> doesn´t proc Nightstalker
-> invulnerability effect lasts 60 frames (1 second)
-> cooldown lasts 120 frames (2 seconds)

-> none or all ticks crit???
-> stacks up to 5 times
-> damage unaffected by APS
RESOURCE

LIFE ON HIT
-> doesn´t proc
ADDITIONAL INFO
-> each group of ticks may separately crit
-> initial tick on frame 15 after disc response
-> inactive for up to 30 seconds
-> groups of frames crit
-> 0.125 proc coefficient
-> 0.75 proc coefficient each tick
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 8/14/2013 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Pictures are better than words. So.

With Sharpshooter.
http://i.imgur.com/45sJdFj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RepHqDt.jpg

Without Sharpshooter.
http://i.imgur.com/pNWz4On.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gyrV87P.jpg

Conclusion, yes, it does factor in crit chance.
Reply Quote
And Nubtro, king of data, has proved me wrong about APS.
But I'm still right about crit chance.
:)
Reply Quote
@ Xenophis

I also couldn't believe they crit but they do.

Check your critical hit range in dps calculator (http://www.d3rawr.com/e) use sharpshooter for testing and watch the (white) damage numbers.

Example:

Average crit dam is 300K DPS (critical Hit Range is 250K-350K)
One Jagged Spike will do 45% that ticks twice per second (22,5% per tick)
300K x 0,225 = 67,5K per tick in average

Most ticks will fluctuate between 56K and 78K and few will be lower - don't know why :-)

Btw with Custom Engineering they last 12 sec and also snapshot Shadowpower lifesteal. If you stack 5 while surrounded by enemies the lifesteal gets incredible.

Edit: steal not steel lol
Edited by Rudi1337#2663 on 8/14/2013 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Choking Gas should be all or nothing crit, similar to Rend as far as I know. But, since a monster can also leave the area and come back it can reapply and as far as I know, having another chance to crit or not.

Jagged, Choking Gas, Trail of Cinders, all crit white and factor in crit damage(sorry, Xenophis, but you need to do more research).

Jagged can crit independently each tick, this means it can't "snapshot" Sharpshooter, but it can increase with it without resetting it. Same as Trail of Cinders.

Jagged Spikes casts instantly and doesn't interrupt other attacks. It has its own casting animation when you place it neutral, though.

My Sharpshooter Trap build would've sucked without this.

Nubtro, I have a question about Gas Grenades:

It can stack, but is it just based off of the 3 seconds of ticks or can you keep stacking it repeatedly until the ticks are doing far more than the grenades? You know how JS can stack, but once one of them finishes then the damage goes down.

I guess I'll have to test this, because this will be hilarious in doorways with a lot of attack speed.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 8/14/2013 12:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile

It can stack, but is it just based off of the 3 seconds of ticks or can you keep stacking it repeatedly until the ticks are doing far more than the grenades? You know how JS can stack, but once one of them finishes then the damage goes down.

I guess I'll have to test this, because this will be hilarious in doorways with a lot of attack speed.

I'm interested in this as well as this is one of the few DoT attacks we have.
Reply Quote
Choking Gas should be all or nothing crit, similar to Rend as far as I know. But, since a monster can also leave the area and come back it can reapply and as far as I know, having another chance to crit or not.

Jagged, Choking Gas, Trail of Cinders, all crit white and factor in crit damage(sorry, Xenophis, but you need to do more research).

Jagged can crit independently each tick, this means it can't "snapshot" Sharpshooter, but it can increase with it without resetting it. Same as Trail of Cinders.

Jagged Spikes casts instantly and doesn't interrupt other attacks. It has its own casting animation when you place it neutral, though.

My Sharpshooter Trap build would've sucked without this.

I've done lots of research in the past on various skills. Especially ToC when it was abusive with the snapshot of SS. And I know Choking Gas has a proc co-eff as well. My rationale for thinking crits didn't factor into JS damage was that they completely removed the proc co-eff from it, whereas Choking Gas and ToC still retain theirs. I stand corrected on the crit part, but attack speed has no factor in its damage for a fact.
Reply Quote
View profile

I'm interested in this as well as this is one of the few DoT attacks we have.

I tried testing it out, seems like it's the same as JS. In that, after one dissipates the DoT will weaken.

But, with crazy attack speed you keep the DoT stack going.

As a sidenote: Attack speed starts to become disgusting with our generators, all of them. Matter fact, I'm of the personal belief that DHs benefit more from attack speed + crit chance(by far), than they do the usual crit chance + crit damage combo... for a number of reasons that would be deserving of its own thread(that I'm not even going to make hahah).
Reply Quote
JAGGED SPIKES DAMAGE-> 0.75% (270%/360) weapon damage each frame (45-90-135-180-225% / sec)-> stacks up to 5 times-> damage unaffected by APSRESOURCELIFE ON HIT-> doesn´t procADDITIONAL INFO-> each group of ticks may separately crit -> initial tick on frame 15 after disc response-> inactive for up to 30 seconds

OK cool thanks mate.

So it crits and not affected by APS.

I saw it doing higher numbers and I couldn't work out whether it was critting or someone grossing up the damage figures to account for APS. Good to clear that up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]