Diablo® III

Hey! Just started playing the DH

Hey guys, I just started playing the DH recently and I must say that he is AWESOME!

Despite having a lot of fun, I still want to get some advice from you guys who have way more experience on DHs than me, so please help me critique my DH. I must say that nearly all of my gear came from my monk so I will be planning to change those +physical resist gear into +vit or +all resist.

Here's the link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PhatPFighter-1190/hero/21786344

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Also, in terms of bola shot, say I shot a monster twice and the two shots are waiting to explode, then suddenly that monster gets killed by my spike trap, do those two bola shots instantly explode simultaneously and deal twice the damage?
Edited by PhatPFighter#1190 on 8/18/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Also, in terms of bola shot, say I shot a monster twice and the two shots are waiting to explode, then suddenly that monster gets killed by my spike trap, do those two bola shots instantly explode simultaneously and deal twice the damage?

Yes.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 12:25 PMPosted by PhatPFighter

I don't know about twice the damage but the idea is there. As I don't know if they crit when they all go on the end. you can load as many as you want, with 3.01 aps you can load 6~7 bola i-doom before any one of them goes off.
Reply Quote
Few suggestions I've got for you PhatPFighter.

Dex on your future WH, getting a nat's boots with a dexvit roll instead of phys resist. And if you're going to be using nightstalker, with your crit chance + attack speed at where it is now, having prep in your build isn't necessary. Your disc should fill up pretty quick without it.
Reply Quote

Dex on your future WH, getting a nat's boots with a dexvit roll instead of phys resist. And if you're going to be using nightstalker, with your crit chance + attack speed at where it is now, having prep in your build isn't necessary. Your disc should fill up pretty quick without it.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah as I said the gear comes from my physical OWE monk so I will need to do some swapping. Would +dex/vit be a better option than +all resist for the DH on most gears?

Appreciate the other two guys' comments on bola shot as well :)
Reply Quote

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah as I said the gear comes from my physical OWE monk so I will need to do some swapping. Would +dex/vit be a better option than +all resist for the DH on most gears?

Appreciate the other two guys' comments on bola shot as well :)

Dexvit isn't always necessarily a better option, but it is definitely a good choice on certain slots, as once you get to a decent (300k - 350k eHP is even enough to run high MP content with enough practice.) The added stats will definitely ensure you get the most dps out of your gear, whereas tankier DH's have to compensate their lower sheet dps with other various methods of doing damage compared to the conventional glass cannon DH's. It's a personal choice with both paths leading down a very fun and entertaining journey.
Reply Quote
Dexvit isn't always necessarily a better option, but it is definitely a good choice on certain slots, as once you get to a decent (300k - 350k eHP is even enough to run high MP content with enough practice.) The added stats will definitely ensure you get the most dps out of your gear, whereas tankier DH's have to compensate their lower sheet dps with other various methods of doing damage compared to the conventional glass cannon DH's. It's a personal choice with both paths leading down a very fun and entertaining journey.

I currently run at MP7 without too much trouble. I kill things quite fast and don't die much. With my current stats, is this MP optimal for me? For DHs, how should I judge if I am viable for MP10 or not?

Thanks again!
Reply Quote
Honestly, there isn't really a way to judge whether you're MP10 viable or not. If you can take down majority of elites within a 30 second window, I'd say that's a good way to tell. Also, if you can kill treasure goblins on a regular basis, that's a decent bonus measure as well, since they generally lead into larger packs of enemies / elites.

And of course, it you end up dying a lot more than you'd like, then said MP might not be as good an idea. But it's up to your judgement and how well you play.
Reply Quote
Honestly, there isn't really a way to judge whether you're MP10 viable or not. If you can take down majority of elites within a 30 second window, I'd say that's a good way to tell. Also, if you can kill treasure goblins on a regular basis, that's a decent bonus measure as well, since they generally lead into larger packs of enemies / elites.

And of course, it you end up dying a lot more than you'd like, then said MP might not be as good an idea. But it's up to your judgement and how well you play.

Cool! One last question (I think...), with my current bola shot/spike trap build that I read off from this forum, I find it very hard to kill goblins. Everything else works fine since I face tank them. Goblins just run away...Am I playing it wrong or is this one of the cons of this build?
Reply Quote
Well, traps are never good against moving targets, of which Goblins do a lot of haha. There are certain ways (for example, act 3 keeps, you can corner the goblins a lot of times and keep them there the entire time by blocking the AI path) to take them down, but it just requires a bit of DH positioning. If you go with a RF build, then goblins are nothing short of a sure kill.

Another skill which is underrated is Caltrops. Torturous rune allows you to snare enemies each time you cast it, and as I stated in my previous post about the synergy between night stalker and high attack speed / crit chance, you'll be able to almost lock down elites / goblins. Jagged spikes rune is able to transform your disc into a consistent 45% damage / AoE snare. This stacks up to 5 times.

Any rune you choose to use, you will also receive the 15% damage bonus from Cull the Weak, which is a fantastic dps passive.
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 8/18/2013 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Xenophis
Well, traps are never good against moving targets, of which Goblins do a lot of haha. There are certain ways (for example, act 3 keeps, you can corner the goblins a lot of times and keep them there the entire time by blocking the AI path) to take them down, but it just requires a bit of DH positioning. If you go with a RF build, then goblins are nothing short of a sure kill.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]