Diablo® III

Oh, what went wrong!

Hello..
I just started DH 2 weeks ago since my Monk reach 100plvl and bought a cheap Calamity with OS..
with my current plvl i have 310,362.72 dps and 471,292.4 EHP with perfectionist and archery passive and i can survive MP 10 with only some difficulties.. But for some reason i feels like the damage i deal on monsters (the number appear) are quite low, normally i see 230k~380k average on critical (bola shot) .. is that normal for calamity user? if its not, what did i do wrong? i have seen some DH videos on Youtube showing over 500k to over million damage dealt to monster (with Manticore tho) Should i find a good Manticore? i don't like the idea of having a slow aps..
Reply Quote
Hello..
I just started DH 2 weeks ago since my Monk reach 100plvl and bought a cheap Calamity with OS..
with my current plvl i have 310,362.72 dps and 471,292.4 EHP with perfectionist and archery passive and i can survive MP 10 with only some difficulties.. But for some reason i feels like the damage i deal on monsters (the number appear) are quite low, normally i see 230k~380k average on critical (bola shot) .. is that normal for calamity user? if its not, what did i do wrong? i have seen some DH videos on Youtube showing over 500k to over million damage dealt to monster (with Manticore tho) Should i find a good Manticore? i don't like the idea of having a slow aps..

Your gear is more optimized for a manticore than it is a Calamity. It's not simply the weapon you choose, but also how you build the rest of your gear around it.

Proper manticore build will always hit harder per attack than a Calamity, that's a given, however your bola crits are still a bit low even for a Calamity at your gear level. If you want to hit harder with a Calamity, you'll have to change out a few pieces of gear (I can go into more details as to what and why if you're still interested).

My Hungering Arrow initial hit top end crits against whites is roughly 580k, and over 715k against Elites. My spike trap against whites top out at 1.32 mil, and against Elites, 1.83 mil. This is with a Calamity.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 8/18/2013 9:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi BV, glad you are trying out a new toon. DH is known for its eDPS issue but it is a fun char to play with.
The question of weapon choice depends on whether you prefer to be a hard hitter or fast hitter. Mantico can be equally good if you can stack AS to above 2.0. My current AS is at 2.1 and I don't feel slow at all. I also have a 1737 dps Cala and a 1757 dps WF. Mantico will occupy 80% of my play time because I like hard hitting.

If you want to use Cala, I advice you to stack more CD and change your Nat boots to Zuni boots. This will take advantage of Cala's black weapon damage. Also get a good RF SOJ with 6% elemental dmg and don't worry about the CC and AS forgone as you already have enough of it.

Enjoy your DH.
Reply Quote
Hello..

Your gear is more optimized for a manticore than it is a Calamity. It's not simply the weapon you choose, but also how you build the rest of your gear around it.

Proper manticore build will always hit harder per attack than a Calamity, that's a given, however your bola crits are still a bit low even for a Calamity at your gear level. If you want to hit harder with a Calamity, you'll have to change out a few pieces of gear (I can go into more details as to what and why if you're still interested).

My Hungering Arrow initial hit top end crits against whites is roughly 580k, and over 715k against Elites. My spike trap against whites top out at 1.32 mil, and against Elites, 1.83 mil. This is with a Calamity.
yes. i am interested.. i'll be really glad if you could spare me some details on which piece should i change.. i am practically new to DH and aside from weapon and off-hand everything else are monk's eq..
Reply Quote
Hi BV, glad you are trying out a new toon. DH is known for its eDPS issue but it is a fun char to play with.
The question of weapon choice depends on whether you prefer to be a hard hitter or fast hitter. Mantico can be equally good if you can stack AS to above 2.0. My current AS is at 2.1 and I don't feel slow at all. I also have a 1737 dps Cala and a 1757 dps WF. Mantico will occupy 80% of my play time because I like hard hitting.

If you want to use Cala, I advice you to stack more CD and change your Nat boots to Zuni boots. This will take advantage of Cala's black weapon damage. Also get a good RF SOJ with 6% elemental dmg and don't worry about the CC and AS forgone as you already have enough of it.

Enjoy your DH.

to be honest i have so much fun playing DH eventho i don't hit hard enough.. with gloom i could survive better than my monk in MP 10!
Reply Quote
Hi

After looking at your gear I think you should get a +8 Holy inna, get a Nata cloak with equal or better dex than your chest. These will give you more dex as well as more pure damage.

Slot out perfectionist for Steady Aim will bring up your dps. Your build does not optimized for CtW so if you don't use SA or CtW you are losing out on big dps booster in this class. Switch out Beastly Bombs with Caltrops (Bait the Trap or Torturous Ground) will help you proc CtW as well as getting your some bonus to edps.

For RF you should follow these break points
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569329357
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 8/18/2013 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

No is not. Is more Calamity friendly due to the stacking of average damage.

Manticore builds don't generally go that direction unless you are bloody rich ofc.

Okay with SA probably but is hard to achieve such figures without SA. You're even hitting harder than a manticore but if you say so..

u do know that those figures are manticore figures don't u?

and btw, your d3up doesn't suggest those figures. maybe you should check them again in-game.
Edited by SwSw#2890 on 8/18/2013 10:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No is not. Is more Calamity friendly due to the stacking of average damage.

Manticore builds don't generally go that direction.

Yes and no. The only thing he has that's beneficial to Calamity is the average damage (which is huge). Nats boots, no CD on nat's ring, and low CD rolls on both rare ring (which was sacrificed for AS) and witching hour hurts him a ton with a Calamity, as each point of CD after everything else is in place is huge due to not being able to stack a ton of CD on weapon.

To each his own, it's not really optimized for either, but i still think he'd benefit more from a manticore with his current setup.

Okay with SA probably but is hard to achieve such figures without SA. You're even hitting harder than a manticore but if you say so..

u do know that those figures are manticore figures don't u?

Of course it's with SA. It only makes sense to post numbers with stuff I actually use in game, and yes, I'm well aware those are Manticore figures. It's why I always laugh when people say Calamities hit like a wet noodle (It can, but it doesn't have to). It's also not me just "saying so", these numbers appear in every video of the current build I run, which is why no one usually questions it when I post the said numbers. Also most people I run with can attest to this damage in game.
Reply Quote
and btw, your d3up doesn't suggest those figures. maybe you should check them again in-game.

You're right, it doesn't. It's lower than what it suggest for several reasons, but I'll let you figure that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBRolZLsFXM&feature=youtu.be

Go to 37 seconds into this video. My HA hit for 768k with several mid 600k's right before that. 735k and 746k HA crits at 59 seconds in as well. 1.7 mil crit at 1:00 for spike trap. Would call out more, but there's no need, and butcher was off screen for more than half the fight to see other numbers :(
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 8/18/2013 11:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes and no. The only thing he has that's beneficial to Calamity is the average damage (which is huge). Nats boots, no CD on nat's ring, and low CD rolls on both rare ring (which was sacrificed for AS) and witching hour hurts him a ton with a Calamity, as each point of CD after everything else is in place is huge due to not being able to stack a ton of CD on weapon.

so, i should get a better CD roll on my rings and Witching hour?
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 11:15 PMPosted by BVsHenLong

so, i should get a better CD roll on my rings and Witching hour?

Sorry that your thread got a little off topic :D

It's a tad bit more complex than that, but yes. For Calamity, your first priority would be average damage, which is what you've done. Second is CD, because with a Calamity build, we lack CD, so it's an absolute must that you max out as much CD on gear as possible, and each point of CD becomes crucial.

At your gear level, I'd suggest no lower than 45 CD on both your ring and on your WH with at least 135 dex on WH. You may not be able to get a rare ring like yours with 45 CD for a decent price, but if you want to hit harder, I'd get rid of the attack speed on that rare and focus on high average damage, high dex, high CD and CC. Your nats ring, while not bad, hurts a ton due to no CD (remember, each point of CD is crucial). Not having CC on nats ring isn't a big deal at all for Calamity users, and should focus on high average damage, dex and at least 40% CD on it.

Last but not least, Go for zuni's boots with All Res and 8% elemental, due to the huge benefit of % damage on black weapons, and swap out your inna's chest to a nat's to keep your 2pc set bonus. You'll notice a pretty big increase by doing this as well.

Obviously I'm not saying you should do all of this at once, but if you're looking to play with your DH for a while and you are certain you want to stick to a Calamity, this is a guideline for which to get the most bang per hit out of your attacks as shown above.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 11:01 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
It's why I always laugh when people say Calamities hit like a wet noodle

calamity are weaker compared to manticore. If you compare top end with top end, manticore wins.

You're right, it doesn't. It's lower than what it suggest for several reasons, but I'll let you figure that out.

Nah too lazy, like i said, if is true, that's good enough for me.

Go to 37 seconds into this video. My HA hit for 768k with several mid 600k's right before that. 735k and 746k HA crits at 59 seconds in as well. 1.7 mil crit at 1:00 for spike trap. Would call out more, but there's no need, and butcher was off screen for more than half the fight to see other numbers :(

Youtube is ban here. Can't view them.

But your numbers are pretty much like 400k unbuff manticore users number IIRC.

My guess is probably the double MfD.
Reply Quote
calamity are weaker compared to manticore. If you compare top end with top end, manticore wins.

I was unaware that there was a competition going on in which something can win. *scratches head*

I'm sure everyone's aware that a 2h any class is going to hit harder than a 1h any class at the top end. Only point I was making is that Calamity's don't hit like a wet noodle if done right, which I've shown. Most else is irrelevant, and also irrelevant to the OP.

Nah too lazy

Classic :D

But your numbers are pretty much like 400k unbuff manticore users number IIRC.

My guess is probably the double MfD.

YouTube is banned? Ah that suuuuuuuuucks man.

Also, I'd actually like to see that with a similar skill set recorded. From the 2 people I've seen with over 600k buffed with manti's that has tried this exact setup for fun that I helped, were getting only slightly higher numbers than I was. They traded grim reaper for caltrops to stay ranged due to stepping with manti not as efficient, so I'm curious to see their numbers with grim

And yes, double MfD is a beast! ^^
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 8/19/2013 12:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/19/2013 12:14 AMPosted by DiEoxidE
Classic :D

Selective quoting eh? =D

Also, I'd actually like to see that with a similar skill set recorded. From the 2 people I've seen with over 600k buffed with manti's that has tried this exact setup for fun that I helped, we're getting only slightly higher numbers than I was. They traded grim reaper for caltrops to stay ranged due to stepping with manti not as efficient, so I'm curious to see their numbers with grim.

Pretty much then. Manti users got no double MfD.

So I guess calamity users need the double MfD to gear near the damage of manticore users.

I've tried valley with cm wiz. Echo hits really hard there. Don't remember any numbers but i'm sure no SA buff included
Reply Quote
Selective quoting eh? =D

All in good fun :P

I heard you were thinking about gearing up your DH again. Come back bro :D
Reply Quote
I heard you were thinking about gearing up your DH again. Come back bro :D

Too poor to gear one proper one.

I'll wait for the next patch. Hopefully buffs come and i can't resist coming back.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 11:37 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
Sorry that your thread got a little off topic :D

its fine, i do enjoy dramas and love quarrel :P

08/18/2013 11:37 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
inna's chest to a nat's to keep your 2pc set bonus

i currently have 590 AR unbuff which add a lot to my current EHP but i've seen many DH doin fine in MP10 with much lower AR.. since i played Monk way to much i don't move as much as i should when i play my DH i end up tanking all the mobs lol.. if i change my Nat ring to a CD Nats i will lose a lot of AR, will it hurt me? A friend of mine always said that "The great defense is offence itself" but as a new DH i can't help it but to worry a lot about losing my AR..
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 11:47 PMPosted by SwSw

watched them, it is 700k+ and its comes out quite often too.. demm make me jelly..
Reply Quote
i currently have 590 AR unbuff which add a lot to my current EHP but i've seen many DH doin fine in MP10 with much lower AR.. since i played Monk way to much i don't move as much as i should when i play my DH i end up tanking all the mobs lol.. if i change my Nat ring to a CD Nats i will lose a lot of AR, will it hurt me? A friend of mine always said that "The great defense is offence itself" but as a new DH i can't help it but to worry a lot about losing my AR..

Personally, I don't think the AR loss off the nat's ring will be that big of a deal. You'll still have well more than enough AR to tank most stuff with no issues on MP10 especially with gloom if that's how you want to do it. It's rare that I ever see anyone with AR on Nat's ring.

It's going to be really tough to up your damage output and keep that type of EHP as DH's damage modifiers aren't nearly as good as monks, but the good news is that with gloom, you can get away with 450ish AR by going high vit roll (200+) on nats chest, and vit gem in helm to balance your EHP a bit.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 8/19/2013 1:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/19/2013 01:03 AMPosted by DiEoxidE
It's rare that I ever see anyone with AR on Nat's ring.

i have AR on my Nats because i wanted to get rid of OWE passive skill on Monk..

Well, thanks a lot sir, i can finally see the light! ive begin item hunt and i can see the boost on my dps (paper) is quite huge for a non-CC Nats.. wow..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]