Diablo® III

Follower updates in the coming expansion.

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
With the impending expansion announcement right around the corner I wanted to stir up a little conversation regarding followers. Followers I feel have been somewhat forgotten when it comes to expansion discussions. I'm just going to toss out some random thoughts to get the ideas flowing:

Follower Unlocks
Personally I'd love to see some new unlocks for our Followers. When Paragon levels were introduced I thought for sure our followers would get a little something as well, but that didn't seem to happen. With all the discussion of new player perks awarded through the Paragon system I thought some cool things could be tied in for the followers as well:

Plvl 10 - Unlock follower gloves slot.
Plvl 20 - Unlock follower boots slot.
Plvl 30 - Unlock follower bracers slot.
Plvl 40 - Unlock follower belt slot.
Plvl 50 - Unlock follower pants slot.
Plvl 60 - Unlock follower shoulders slot.
Plvl 70 - Unlock follower chest slot.
Plvl 80 - Unlock follower helm slot.
Plvl 90 - Followers gain the ability to salvage items.
Plvl 100 - Followers automatically pickup gems and crafting materials.

Any others people would like to see?

This would really open up the customization of our followers and give us something else to work on as well. I know it's not rewarding people that play multiplayer games but it's also not really giving single players an advantage either. It's really just some fun perks combined with more customization.

New Followers
We're most likely going to see a new follower or two added in the next expansion. These are just some examples of what we could see:

Seraphim - Once an angel but similar to the now mortal Tyreal, one that chose to follow him to sanctuary and live amongst us. Unlike our character classes followers don't necessarily need to be Nephalem since they aren't the heroes of the story. I believe they they would fit in perfectly lore wise, especially since we just saved the High Heavens.

Assassin - Very similar to the Assassin in Diablo II. Currently we don't have a melee Dexterity follower and the Assassin would fill this roll perfectly.

Undead - I don't know how this would work but I really wanted to toss this idea out there for fun. Wouldn't it be cool if we had an undead chained up following us around? Maybe I've been watching too much of The Walking Dead but this I feel would be very popular.

Legendary Follower Specials
I think it's about time Blizzard added some new legendary follower special items. There's no better time to do it then alongside Loot 2.0. I'd love to see some items that completely chang the way some of their abilities work.

What Are Your Thoughts?
If you could change anything to improve followers this next expansion, what would it be? What new type of follower would you like to see added to the game? Should followers be reconsidered to be a part of multiplayer games or do you think they should leave them the same as they are now?

Feel free to share your thoughts, let's get some cool ideas flowing!
Edited by Monstrous#1404 on 8/19/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Now why would blizzard go and let us have inventory slots on our followers. Obviously, since they ALREADY DID IT IN DIABLO 2, but shrank it down so hard in D3, there HAD to be a good reason...

even moreso, you're suggestions would mean they -expand- on previous designs in order to let them pick up items! are you crazy?! What will you ask for next? More than 3 towns? Diamonds and Skulls? 7 characters minimum instead of 5? 8 player cap? ability to name games?

cmon now, you're just being silly.
Edited by Dragn#1132 on 8/19/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you could change anything to improve followers this next expansion, what would it be?
-- Nothing. They are fine.

What new type of follower would you like to see added to the game?
-- Three is enough.

Should followers be reconsidered to be a part of multiplayer games or do you think they should leave them the same as they are now?
-- They should be available for multiplayer games. Until then, any improvement to followers are unimportant as you limited to solo mode.
Reply Quote
I like your ideas of improving followers, I often times play solo , so I would be glad to have my follower get some attention as well. However, it seems like with all those inventory slots , they could become a little bit too powerful.

Would definitely like to see Legendary follower tokens though ^.^
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Lovely ideas as always, Monstrous. Are these on Diablofans yet? I know you like to include pretty pictures.
Reply Quote
Now why would blizzard go and let us have inventory slots on our followers. Obviously, since they ALREADY DID IT IN DIABLO 2, but shrank it down so hard in D3, there HAD to be a good reason...

even moreso, you're suggestions would mean they -expand- on previous designs in order to let them pick up items! are you crazy?! What will you ask for next? More than 3 towns? Diamonds and Skulls? 7 characters minimum instead of 5? 8 player cap? ability to name games?

cmon now, you're just being silly.

I admit I lol'd...

I think we are going to get some Retro along with some New in the expansion. Some of stuff we will get should have been boxed day 1 however. :/

+1 Monsterous I like your concept ;)
Reply Quote
See how Runic implemented followers in TL2 and copy.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
08/19/2013 11:10 AMPosted by Jaetch
Lovely ideas as always, Monstrous. Are these on Diablofans yet? I know you like to include pretty pictures.

They aren't ;(

I'm working on a different post at the moment and really wanted to include followers but they just don't fit into the particular post. I really want to discuss them though, they have a lot of potential for some side progression away from our main characters.
To expand on my previous line of thought, but actually answer your question...

HOW BOUT SOME FREAKING PVP!?
Reply Quote
Something like THIS:

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/hirelings.shtml
Reply Quote
That accually sounds really intresting :)
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
So... why can't our followers wear pants? :P

Now at some point I can see the followers end up doing quite a healthy bit of DPS rather than going for the pure support/CC roles we see today. Do you think this will push players to play more solo again since you can't run followers in co-op? I mean, all that gearing and you can only enjoy their presence solo, not to mention no auto-pickup in co-op in that case.

I'm already a hermit and this will just make solo all the more enticing for me.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/19/2013 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile

Now at some point I can see the followers end up doing quite a healthy bit of DPS rather than going for the pure support/CC roles we see today. Do you think this will push players to play more solo again since you can't run followers in co-op? I mean, all that gearing and you can only enjoy their presence solo, not to mention no auto-pickup in co-op in that case.

I'm already a hermit and this will just make solo all the more enticing for me.

WOW! I just mistakenly created a no pants party and I didn't even notice...

I'll update the OP haha. Thanks!
How can u be so sure they will announce Xpac?
I would rather speculate about act4 makeing playable or changeing the questbonus TOTALY..
This would be the 2nd thing on my list after i fixed the loot before i even THINK about an expansion.

But the ideas are OK.

Followers should be able to be used in multiplayer games too and give the players some really nice stuff. Just saying runewords like... insight. infinity..

Forgot to mention that here isnt any kind of PVP going on AT ALL :D

I really dont think they will announce Xpac. Thats just not professional.
Edited by Neo#2279 on 8/19/2013 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/19/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Jaetch

Ask blizzard, they're the ones that already decided followers cant wear stuff.
Reply Quote
+1

I'm down for some added follower customization ala D2 Expansion at least.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]