Diablo® III

Seeking help learning to stutter step

Hi guys, I am really wanting to use the Stone Cold hunter build full time and I am having trouble stutter stepping properly. If there is a guide located here could someone please point me in the direction. I would really really appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply Quote
Here are some videos made by the founder of CGC
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569108872

I'm not really good at stepping but it is a very efficient way to play ranged. And I will warn you right now. It takes practice and a lot of wrist work.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 8/18/2013 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
These are the videos that helped me alot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGi7VTdZ64 (Kamakazzi's WD).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA_LIQP_jfs (Flight's DH / GCC).

...you can use both styles at once if you want. With the shift button, I also use "D" button, it's easier for my index finger than my pinky, though I could still use shift. I've been practicing for couple of weeks now and it's totally incorporated to my playstyle now.

I was one of those about a year ago that said that I enjoy tanking. I was wrong, utterly, utterly wrong.
Reply Quote
Whoa, thanks a ton you guys! I have alot of practice ahead of me, I keep ending up shooting the wrong way or not moving away like you are supposed to. Also I am running into the problem of running out of Disc for tougher packs. I guess I could use night stalker but I really hate not useing the staple three passives for this style.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Fumos
Whoa, thanks a ton you guys! I have alot of practice ahead of me, I keep ending up shooting the wrong way or not moving away like you are supposed to. Also I am running into the problem of running out of Disc for tougher packs. I guess I could use night stalker but I really hate not useing the staple three passives for this style.

Hey man! Glad you're enjoying the SCH build (Stone Cold Hunter).

Most of what was posted should help you a bit, with the videos on stepping, but know that its going to take some time to do well and you may want to start with a 2H xbow (just for practice) to get the rhythm at a slower attack speed. Starting to step with a Calamity is really difficult.

A couple of things to note with the SCH, it was designed to maximize crowd control for effective ranged play AND maximize damage output. When you swap to a hatred spender that doesn't proc cold, you run into the crowd control issue due to HA not being enough by itself for substantial crowd control. This is one of the reasons why scatter is extremely important in this setup for it's massive AoE, which can slow many mobs at once (and obviously high damage output). If you don't like spike traps, You can use Cluster Arrow, Maelstrom, in which the shadow energy after the initial hit procs cold (despite the physical damage), or any of the Multishot runes (cept fire at will). Making sure that your hatred spender procs cold will help you with disc management as well as your ability to stay at a distance.

Another thing is I wouldn't bother with RoV, Dark Cloud just yet and instead, slot preparation. Since you're using tumble and gloom, you will burn through 40 disc like there's no tomorrow unless your stutter stepping is really good. You could also instead swap out turret for preparation, but turret with this setup puts out a lot of dps. However, if you go CA, maelstrom route, you won't have enough hatred to use both turret and CA enough and it would be more beneficial to give up turret for preparation and keep RoV.

Sorry for the long post, but hope this gives you more insight on this spec and what you're getting yourself into :D Feel free to add me in game and I can help you first hand.
Reply Quote
Left mouse
Move Button
Stop Button

So basically Left mouse -> Move -> Stop

Rinse and repeat.

p/s: too tiring to do this
Reply Quote
My main attacks skills are on D and S, move on spacebar.
I just slide the mouse back and forth and alternate between D/S and spacebar. I find it less confusing and less straining on the wrist.

Downside is that only vault and marked for death can be placed on left click. I usually have MFD there.

For practise, I usually use the town waypoint in a3, it's narrower than a1 but that also helps restrict your movement or you'll end up all over the place. Try to shoot at the waypoint and move backwards/sidewards/in a circle around it.

Protip: don't try to rush. This is very much dependent on muscle memory so just get your hands used to the movements, speed and accuracy comes with proficiency.

Extra tip: Once you can step on the DH, try stepping with a wiz and spectral blades lol.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 11:17 PMPosted by The47thSen
Extra tip: Once you can step on the DH, try stepping with a wiz and spectral blades lol.

Try stepping with a wiz with tornado first. =D
Reply Quote
Using the space bar move, ..like how everybody does, including me before, ..is called Stepping..

Using the Shift Button or the right and left mouse click just like FLIGHT'S style which is Micro, ..is called Stutter Stepping.
Reply Quote

I did a reduced meteor build where I was stutter stepping with just star pact with 2.74 AS and a !@#$ ton of APOC. It was hilarious and celegans was in that game with me. I remember telling him "I shouldn't be able to do this" Haha
Reply Quote
Do we need a mouse with button to assign macro for shift?
Reply Quote
My person method for stutter stepping involved binding 'Move Only' to the side button on my mouse, and having whatever I'd normally step with on left click. I only move around with the side button, and hold shift constantly when I'm going to be SStepping.

With shift held, side-click away, left click towards them. I like not having to coordinate hand-to-hand, I simply just alternate clicks as I move my mouse across my character. This might not be the most efficient way, but I picked up stuttering manually around 2.5 aps, which is more than enough for Manticore, I'd probably need to practice a bit more if I ever swapped to Calamity.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Fumos

Since you mentioned problems with running out of disc, I suggest you try out my variant of the stone cold hunter build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9340954097#1

It uses Suppression Fire, which grants disc on hit and procs cold. The disc restore from Suppression Fire is incredible, and let's me Shadow Glide at will against elites.

P.S. This build really benefits from 50+ disc. I have 58 disc from Spite, Cloak, and SoJ.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 8/19/2013 5:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'll chime in as well.

If your are using the full Stone Cold build, then you actually don't HAVE to stutter step all the time, due to the slowing that you get from all of your attacks.

The biggest secret to gaining separation is using your Scatter Traps correctly.

When placed in front of you, SC will fan out, and acts as a great way to slow a widespread mob. As you move backwards, the mob will tend to line up in a column, thereby limiting the the effectiveness of your SC.

How do you address this?

As you retreat, quickly fire your SC at angle that is 90 degrees perpendicular to the advancing column of enemies. When performed correctly, this will result in the mob having to travel over three traps to get to you, with each trap hitting hard and proc'ing a a slow.
Reply Quote
I can that the MJ moon walk
Reply Quote
^ In terms of popularity, did you ever notice that the next MJ is white (he's also from around here). He's very rich, though alot of people loves and hates him.

I'm not a hater so I don't hate him. I'll play guitar on his gig for $10,000 a song.

..Real stutter stepping is so satisfying. Act 4 MP 10 solo with it is like paradise..
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Fumos
Hi guys, I am really wanting to use the Stone Cold hunter build full time and I am having trouble stutter stepping properly. If there is a guide located here could someone please point me in the direction. I would really really appreciate it! Thanks!

best way to learn how to kite properly is to not use cold soj in the first place(caltrops is acceptable). Treat it as if you are practicing with weights on. Best place to practice is A1 Weeping Hollows, Fields of Misery, A2 Dalghur Oasis and Desolate Sands and A3 Fields of Slaughter all on mp8+.
Reply Quote
I tried this cheap Kinzu V2 from Kijiji two weeks ago. It's only 3200 cpi (not too stable) and its L and R clicks are too low and the L click is getting beat up from practicing conventional Stutter stepping. I'm not liking the L click feel now.

I'm now choosing whether to get a Razer Orochi or a Logitech 700. Might get it tonight.
Edited by THIEF2004#1697 on 8/19/2013 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just don't spam. Be precise, and start slow being as accurate as possible, and then speed up while maintaining accuracy.

If you just understand how it works then you can stutterstep with other attacks and with other classes, too.

You can even do it to great effect with grenades.
Reply Quote
Just don't spam. Be precise, and start slow being as accurate as possible, and then speed up while maintaining accuracy.

If you just understand how it works then you can stutterstep with other attacks and with other classes, too.

You can even do it to great effect with grenades.

Which method do you use? Do you have a mouse with additionnal buttons? And how do you assign the keys? Thx
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]