Diablo® III

tyrael fled and inconsistencies in the story

it says in the book of tyrael that tyrael fled after diablo was defeated and the archangels held him responsible.

link here

https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/WE9Y1JS2VJX01376522982369.jpg

it says tyrael is tormented by nightmares of heaven's destruction by diablo.
it says the court of justice was his former court.
it says he struggled living with the angels as a mortal.

question is who is the new archangel of justice? can an angel just change his title from justice to wisdom?

because bear in mind that each was formed from the crystal arch with a trait and represented it with his title.

when he dies, he is reborn from the arch and resumes his position. if tyrael changes just like that to be wisdom presumably because he gave up his angel status, then wouldn't there be no replacement for justice?

also if an angel tears our his wings and gives up his status then he becomes mortal...isn't that a weird way of becoming mortal? mortals/nephalems were born from angel and demon. not from an angel tearing out his wings.
Reply Quote
08/15/2013 07:56 PMPosted by EremiteAngel
also if an angel tears our his wings and gives up his status then he becomes mortal...isn't that a weird way of becoming mortal? mortals/nephalems were born from angel and demon. not from an angel tearing out his wings.

He became mortal, not a human. He's still an angel, just one that no longer has his abilities. If he is stabbed he can die, if an angel is stabbed, he'll survive (see Imperius).
Reply Quote
- Reddit Diablo
View profile
The section you're referring to happens after the events in the game, so it's difficult to determine exactly what happened (although I'm sure we'll learn in either the Book of Tyrael or in-game).

Tyrael says in the final cinematic, "Since justice has been served, I will now stand as Wisdom." He believes that the Prime and Lesser Evils have been defeated and Justice is no longer needed as much. Instead, Wisdom would probably be more useful in restoring the High Heavens to its former glory.

However, as you mentioned, he is still the Archangel of Justice deep down (in his soul? light? resonance?) despite taking on the mantle of the Archangel of Justice. Tyrael's struggle for identity (a weird thing to have as a mortal angel) might be a minor storyline in the expansion.
Reply Quote
i think there is a huge plothole in how tyrael became mortal

mortals/nephalems are born from angel and demons.

not from tearing out wings

unless tyrael mean to say that he is mortal - has a lifespan and will age and die and need food to stay alive.
but he is not nephalem. meaning he does not have the potential power that nephalems have.

but what is he then? not nephalem and not angel
where does he go after he dies? does he return to the crystal arch? will he be reborn again from the arch?
does malthael come for his soul after he dies?

tyrael essentially becomes neither this nor that, a being that cannot be classified.

also angels are born from the crystal arch. why do they become mortal/human/nephalem? when they forfeit their status/wings?

they are not humans to begin with. they are spirits for goodness sake.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Angel

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Inarius

inarius is the 2nd known angel who had his wings torn out, ableit against his will. when his wings were torn out by mephisto,

but yet, he remains alive many many years later up till now still being tortured by mephisto. he did not become mortal like tyrael and die of old age.
Reply Quote
i am almost certain blizz meant that tyrael became mortal as in human

the angels take on flesh when their wings are torn off as seen in tyrael and inarius.

tyrael himself says he experiences human emotions now that he is no longer angel.

read the book of tyrael link

he kept refering to mortal emotions and mortal feelings and mortal this and mortal that.

it is just another word for human.
Reply Quote
I don't know exactly if this is how you said about being born with a title but I really do hope it's not like that cause I think it's stupid idea. Hopefully It's more likely a trait that is followed by a title at which someone revels, Like Baal in destructing things, like Diablo in seeding fear, Tyrael by being just.
Reply Quote
i think there is a huge plothole in how tyrael became mortal

mortals/nephalems are born from angel and demons.

not from tearing out wings

unless tyrael mean to say that he is mortal - has a lifespan and will age and die and need food to stay alive.
but he is not nephalem. meaning he does not have the potential power that nephalems have.

but what is he then? not nephalem and not angel
where does he go after he dies? does he return to the crystal arch? will he be reborn again from the arch?
does malthael come for his soul after he dies?

tyrael essentially becomes neither this nor that, a being that cannot be classified.

also angels are born from the crystal arch. why do they become mortal/human/nephalem? when they forfeit their status/wings?

they are not humans to begin with. they are spirits for goodness sake.

Tyreal became a mortal because he rejected his immortality after he fought with Imperius. Ripping off angel's wings makes them mortal but that is more symbolic. This sort of thing is just the way it happens and just has been that way. With the disappearance of Mathael, it is unlikely that an angel can be reborn but instead a different angel is born. When someone dies, be it an angel, human, nephalem, or demon, their soul is sent to Pandemonium. It may be possible to to bring a soul back into the mortal realm but that undertaking would be next to impossible. Angels, demons, and humans can all die. Angels cannot die, unless they are on the battlefield. Demons are the same way. I cannot say what Tyreal became but my best guess is that he is very much more human than anything. Also, you are right, the nephalem were born of angels and demons. That being said, they have the possibility of becoming mortal. Ergo, they can become mortal/human in some way or another.
Reply Quote
Yes, Tyreal tore of his wings as a sign that he no longer stood by his angelic brethren on their choice to stand by and let humanity be consumed by the Burning Hells. He surrendered his immortality by choice, on the subject of Inaruius, he did not tear of his own wings as a sign of defiance and to rid himself of his immortal power, but was instead forced upon him in an act of vengeance and torture. Inarius is still very much immortal and thus can be tortured for all eternity.

Back to Tyreal, he is still very much an angel, but an angel with a mortal soul now. He now has the needs of a mortal but can still serve heaven.
Edited by Grimmstorm#6793 on 8/21/2013 10:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]