Diablo® III

*DH* Survivability

Hey Folks!

I'm taking the plunge into the world of Demon Hunters. I knew it would be challenging given the rhetoric on forum, but I figured I was up to it.

Boy is this no joke! I was getting slaughtered in Act1, and only MP2! How is that conceivable? I suppose when you compare with the most powered class (barbarian) the differences become stark.

Nevertheless, I need more survivability. I encourage everyone to check my skills/profile to give me focused improvements I can tackle, maybe top two to three is ideal. So far, I can tell I need a lot more vitality, other than that...clueless.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply Quote
View profile
Top 3 Class in Survivability
1. Boss Class = Barbarian
2. Shadow Class = Demon Hunter
3. Arcane Class = Wizard

The other 2 classes are loser in mit. They cover up their standing with a lot of buffs and a 500~1000% aoe damage skills.

Then again I don't see why you are dying so much. I have less ehp and I'm fine. Shouldn't you be 1-shotting everything in MP2? The only problem I have right now with my current build is reflect mobs. I tend to kill myself shooting at them.

--- --- ---

Okay looking at your build I will say you need more cc to proc NS, or get rid of it and fill up your discipline pool with a nata cloak and get the +20 bonus. Use this build instead

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WcgXVj!Ybe!acabcb
for a beginner don't play with i-doom, the delay is going to kill you.
Reply Quote
your hp is too low....
even with perfectionist....
and u are not using it...
Reply Quote
Your toon looks mp7-8 capable IMO. Think you just have to learn to balance both your resources and spam gloom. You might run out of disc if you vault too much. Pretty much face tank gear....add me and let's do some runs... Good luck man!
Reply Quote
Btw I'd drop archery as most mobs are closer to 5 yards when they bumrush you.
Reply Quote
Edit. Drop steady aim not archery. Change to perfectionist.
Reply Quote
I think your skill selections aren't the greatest... Imminent Doom + Bombardment = Too much delay IMHO. Are you trying to be a tank hunter?

If not, I suggest you try out the Shock Hunter build to start with as it well help introduce you to ranged play.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568957788#1

P.S. Get rid of those awful Lacuni's.

P.P.S. I see you have a MS SoJ so you might be interested in my Multishot build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9340954097#1

On caveat, I believe this build to be optimized for dual wielders with a ton of CHD as they benefit the most from the MS skill bonus.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 8/15/2013 6:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
4 attacks and 1 defence is not going to work with your life/res/armor stats, mechanics broken, this is your problem.

Need more CHC to use Night Stalker effectively, need resources regen skills and tactic.

Sentry puts you in static / tanking playstyle, your are not even close to hold mobs face-to-face.

Go and try this build for 5 min http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WcgdQh!fbX!ZbYbaZ and be surprised :)

A bit too early for you to use SoJ, find a rare ring with crit chance and crit damage.
Reply Quote
View profile
OP has awesome eHP. He knows what he's talking about ^.^
Reply Quote
36.4k HP, 39 Disc, 125 hatred and you are running:

1. Sentry
2. MS
3. RF

Dude, that's just wrong man. For starters how about 1 generator, 1 spender? and prep as well. When you're better off with disc management, u might be able to drop prep.
Reply Quote
I was hoping there would be grave concerns with my build, I'm super happy about the responses. I knew something was 'off' - literally rolled a DH would zero research and copied builds online with zero configuration in terms of my metrics used.

I'm going to piece through the responses and play around some, I've already increased my CHC and will change my skill selections.

The game play was so atrocious I knew it was lack of education. Thanks again for the responses!
Edited by Ghostpos#1230 on 8/16/2013 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was hoping there would be grave concerns with my build, I'm super happy about the responses. I knew something was 'off' - literally rolled a DH would zero research and copied builds online with zero configuration in terms of my metrics used.

I'm going to piece through the responses and play around some, I've already increased my CHC and will change my skill selections.

The game play was so atrocious I knew it was lack of education. Thanks again for the responses!

Just took a peek into your profile real quick, and I'd say you can also replace your Nat's helm with a decent crit mempo (should give you a nice boost in both dps and eHP, since you're gaining 70+ all res, 10%+ life, and 170+ main stat), unless you're planning in the future to replace your inna's chest for a nat's cloak to get the +20 disc.
Edited by Xenophis#1434 on 8/16/2013 5:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Since you are running a Cold SoK, I would do the following:

1. Swap Bola for Hungering Arrow (I like Spray of Teeth, but use whatever you like)
2. Swap Rapid Fire - Withering Fire
2. Swap Multi Shot - Full Broadside for Fire at Will

Why?

Hungering Arrow will proc Cold from your SoJ, which will slow monsters down. Spray of Teeth has the benefit from really good AoE, but I encourage you to try all of the Runes to get a feel for them.

Withering Fire will boost your Hatred usage and it functions better as your single target nuke. Bombardment (IMO) tends to work best for tankier builds, and is better suited as a "Feature" attack (in which the entire build revolves around Bombardment spam)

Multishot - Fire at Will puts out more damage in two shots at 15 Hatred a piece than Full Broadside with one shot at a cost of 30 Hatred. Multishot is also an attack that will proc the Cold damage from your SoJ. So, you will benefit from a longer slow proc because you have fired two attacks instead of one.

Happy Hunting.
Reply Quote
View profile
The simple answer: add more vit
Reply Quote
Tropicals advice is really good, that would be a decent playstyle for you. Cold SoJ with hungering arrow spray of teeth for aoe snare, also with multishot with cold soj for another aoe snare, rapid fire withering for single target burn. You don't have enough hatred to utilize sentry and two other spenders that are as costly as RF and MS.

Drop sentry and pickup prep and switch your vault rune to tumble to maximize your disc.

Get more vitality and crit chance. Try to get to at least 300-400 ar and 50k hp and 50%+ cc for nightstalker and hungering arrow spray of teeth procs. Four piece nats wouldn't be bad for you for the extra disc and you can keep your crit chance high where as a Mempo with crit chance is going to cost you a lot, but if you can afford it go Mempo with crit chance.
Reply Quote
Most DHs run with 2 offensive slots, 1 is typically a hatred spender and the other typically is a hatred generator. The other 4 slots would typically be defensive or generator skills. With that in mind, I'd recommend switching out Multishot for Companion - Bat.

I would switch Nightstalker out for Vengeance. I don't think Nightstalker is worth a slot until your Crit Chance gets over 40%. And, it doesn't generate any hatred.

I'd also swap out RF - Withering Fire for RF - Fire Support. Fire Support does way more damage and channels at the same rate as Withering Fire.

Wearing 2 pieces of Nat's Set is pretty much mandatory for a DH. Either go with Nat's Ring or Boots or both. I'd bet you can craft better Dex Bracers in 40 tries or less.

Give us an update on how things are going and let us know what your budget is for gear, maybe we can help you out with what piece to buy next.
Edited by DoubleD#1397 on 8/16/2013 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Tropicals advice is really good, that would be a decent playstyle for you. Cold SoJ with hungering arrow spray of teeth for aoe snare, also with multishot with cold soj for another aoe snare, rapid fire withering for single target burn. You don't have enough hatred to utilize sentry and two other spenders that are as costly as RF and MS.

Drop sentry and pickup prep and switch your vault rune to tumble to maximize your disc.

Get more vitality and crit chance. Try to get to at least 300-400 ar and 50k hp and 50%+ cc for nightstalker and hungering arrow spray of teeth procs. Four piece nats wouldn't be bad for you for the extra disc and you can keep your crit chance high where as a Mempo with crit chance is going to cost you a lot, but if you can afford it go Mempo with crit chance.

The spray of teeth itself does not proc any effects. That includes snare and night stalker. Just want to throw that out there to clear up misconceptions.
Reply Quote
08/16/2013 03:25 PMPosted by DiEoxidE
The spray of teeth itself does not proc any effects. That includes snare and night stalker. Just want to throw that out there to clear up misconceptions.

Listen to DiEoxidE, he is very well respected. You should check out his profile, he has a great Calamity using DH.
Edited by DoubleD#1397 on 8/16/2013 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]