Diablo® III

So what do you consider "major content"?

So blizzard says they aren't working on any "major content" patches right now. Some take that to mean that they aren't working on anything for D3 right now. Other defend it and say they are saying "itemization", "PvP" and other stuff is coming.

The 3 biggest additions thus far have been the hellfire ring and its associated mobs, the BoP crafting armor and the legendary buffs. So what exactly qualifies as "major content"? Has anything they've done thus far counted as "major content"? I wouldn't call any of that "major content". But since its all they've done thus far its the only thing we can call " content" at all, let alone "major content". And I would call doing an overhaul of items and some addition of real PvP "major content" and bigger than anything they've added so far.

So I've pretty much concluded that they aren't working on anything for D3 right now. Based on the fact that they've said they aren't working on any, and using what they've done so far as content patches as a measuring stick of what would be considered "content", let alone "major content".

And you know what, I hope its true. I really hope they've abandoned D3 in its current incarnation and are simply focusing on an expansion and making it everything D3 should have been.
Reply Quote
Major content would be like when Diablo 2 introduced the synergy system. It changed the whole game. I hope the next patch is even bigger than that patch was because Diablo 3 needs some big changes.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 needs fixes, that may involve changes to content. You want content updates play WoW.
Reply Quote
Bliz isn't working on anything but consoles, they say that's not the case but clearly it is since Nothing new has been discussed. People act like itemization and bug fix's will make things better, but they wont. Bliz has had a year all ready to get through the bugs and itemization. its still not effective enough for most people on the forums. I still check in for updates waiting for something worth my time to happen in this game but it doesn't. I remember playing real Diablo style games and it took weeks to beat the game not 12 hours start to finish. The first play through is the same exact thing as the last which makes perfect sense and goes with the game style but when it took me 12 hours to beat all the non-repeatable content I knew this game wasn't going to be that great. Any game with this style from the past took over 40 hours to beat the first play through. If that doesn't say it all, then i guess gaming has put on the breaks and started going in reverse.
Reply Quote
08/20/2013 09:38 AMPosted by GenghisKhan
Diablo 3 needs fixes, that may involve changes to content. You want content updates play WoW.

Whats this post even supposed to mean?
Reply Quote
So blizzard says they aren't working on any "major content" patches right now. Some take that to mean that they aren't working on anything for D3 right now. Other defend it and say they are saying "itemization", "PvP" and other stuff is coming.

Well, I'd say Loot 2.0 will be a major content patch. Even though it's not "new" content in itself, it still is content. What I think they meant is that they're not working on implementing any patch with new content, and that's why he said that they're not working on any major content patch.Also, note that he phrased it as "major content patches". They're working hard on the expansion, which will bring a lot of new content even though it is not a patch.

As for PvP, do we even know if they're working on this? They're probably trying to figure out a good system for PvP. Maybe you could say that the drawing board is working on PvP, and I'd probably accept that. But we don't know where they're when it comes to this, yet. We will see now with Blizzcon coming up.

Also

08/20/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Lektor
Bliz isn't working on anything but consoles, they say that's not the case but clearly it is since Nothing new has been discussed.

This guy is either a troll or pretty stupid. Diablo 3 for consoles has a completely different team. He clearly hasn't been following the interviews or blog posts either. And just because they haven't announced anything yet doesn't mean that they aren't working on anything, more like the opposite. If the developers go quiet they probably have candies in their pockets for us, and they're not really likely to announce it in forum posts or interviews. If they're on the other hand starts talking to the community a lot they're looking to see what direction the player base wants to take and seek inspiration for the game.

I don't know why people insist on that the Diablo 3 PC team has abandoned us. Just pure ignorance, I guess.
Reply Quote
So what do you consider "major content"?

Personally, I'd have considered patch 1.0.4, 1.0.5, and 1.0.7 to be major content. Of course, I have to be wrong in thinking that because Blizzard has confirmed that they are still working on big patches (namely itemization).

I suppose the term 'major content' could also mean DLC or an expansion pack. This could be true as we've only been assuming that an expansion pack is still on the way without much reinforcement on the topic by Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Pretty much this.
08/20/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Herethebeef

Whats this post even supposed to mean?

When you talk about new content, you talk about something actually new being added to the game. In WoW's case, a new continent, raid, battleground, class/race or stuff like that would classify as new content, because they require new assets to be created.

Updates based on existing content aren't really adding content. All this represents is tweaks to stuff already in the game.

In D3 the amount of new content has been minimal:
New graphic for marquise gems
The brawling NPC
The room to summon uber portals
Hellfire rings.
Demonic essences.

That's pretty much it. Most of the updates D3 has received have been tweaks to existing stuff, such as ubers, monster density changes, paragon levels, monster power and so on.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing if done properly. They can do a lot with small amounts of content by repurposing it in creative ways. Just take a look at PoE's endgame maps, for instance. They're pre-existing dungeons with a twist, by introducing several handicaps to make them more challenging. D2 resourced to this when they added ubers and synergies. In fact, this has been a rather popular practice in ARPGs for a long time. However, this relatively small amount of content becomes very apparent when the core is flawed, which is what happens with D3. People are bored because there's nothing to do other than farming stuff, because the game has a ridiculously high focus on gear in order to push AH usage, and virtually zero RPG elements.

In D2 people were making new characters all the time. It was exciting, and commitment played a huge role in D2's longevity. Unfortunately, the current development team mistakenly tagged commitment as a flaw, and stripped Diablo of one of it's crucial components: character development. It's no wonder people were bored after a few months of playing the game. There's literally no reason to make a new character unless you die in HC, because every character is just like every other of the same class, and the little you can customize (gear) has been monetized just to generate profits, so your character is basically as good as your wallet's size in many cases. It's the kind of outcome you can expect when you put inexperienced people at the head of a project they're not prepared to develop. They surely have their merits in MMO and RTS development as WoW and SC no doubt demonstrate, but they just don't understand ARPGs, and it shows a lot.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
I'm way to lazy to find the interview, but IIRC what they actually said was that they didn't have a major patch planned, but that they were working on big things.

You can interpret that however you will. I choose to interpret it as meaning that while they ARE working on what some may call "major content", they aren't (or at least they weren't at that time) far enough along in the process to schedule a release, or even say for certain what the patch number is going to be when it goes in place.
Reply Quote
I would consider commas to be major content at this point.
Reply Quote
I consider major content in any game to be new areas, new items, or a major overhaul to playability.
Reply Quote
08/20/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Detnyj
I would consider commas to be major content at this point.

You beat me to it. XD
Reply Quote
To me: "major content" - new gear, skill tree, acts, classes, runes, new gems & talismans.

Blizzard: "major content" - a wallpaper and a AH fix if we are in VERY lucky day. (and then a 1-2 years without anything until the next wallpaper/AH fix.
Edited by Killrog#1939 on 8/20/2013 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
08/20/2013 12:09 AMPosted by Herethebeef
So blizzard says they aren't working on any "major content" patches right now.

It's true that we haven't announced any major content patches, but I wouldn't say that we're not working on anything. We have mentioned several times that we're working on itemization, updating the Paragon system, the Mystic and more.
Reply Quote
what was the announcement at gamescom ?
Reply Quote
08/20/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Grimiku
It's true that we haven't announced any major content patches, but I wouldn't say that we're not working on anything. We have mentioned several times that we're working on itemization, updating the Paragon system, the Mystic and more.

Yes, its just so frustrating we have heard so little. Hope we hear some good news soon.
Reply Quote
Wheres our offline mode? You did it for the consoles, totally contradicting the initial argument that the games core was based totally for online play. Cant you just require an authentication of some kind when DLC is available and leave it at that for the tiny group of pirates out there? You can buy the game outta the trash bin now at local stores so you got your money. Just put a lil effort in and do something......anything.......not involving making the rmah/gah better or whatever it is you do with it. JW already said from the get go that was a mistake. Fix it please :S
Reply Quote
08/20/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Grimiku
So blizzard says they aren't working on any "major content" patches right now.

Yikes so no work is being done on D3 PC until after Blizzcon? That's very disappointing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]