Diablo® III

El'druin in RoS cinematic

According to the Book of Cain and Diablo 3 wiki, El'druin, the Sword of Justice (Tyrael's sword) is a unique weapon, capable of cutting through any foe or substance in existence. However, some believe that the blade's edge cannot pass through or harm any being of righteous intent.

In the RoS cinematic Malthael pays no mind to the sword and, as he is moving towards Tyrael, lets El'druin trespass him. However, no damage is dealt.

Could this mean that Malthael, despite being a villain, has a righteous intent? Does it mean El'druin cannot affect Angels (although it could harm Izual)? Or is it simply Blizzard ignoring the lore in order to show us how powerful/badass/awesome Malthael is?

Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
According to the Book of Cain and Diablo 3 wiki, El'druin, the Sword of Justice (Tyrael's sword) is a unique weapon, capable of cutting through any foe or substance in existence. However, some believe that the blade's edge cannot pass through or harm any being of righteous intent.

In the RoS cinematic Malthael pays no mind to the sword and, as he is moving towards Tyrael, lets El'druin trespass him. However, no damage is dealt.

Could this mean that Malthael, despite being a villain, has a righteous intent? Does it mean El'druin cannot affect Angels (although it could harm Izual)? Or is it simply Blizzard ignoring the lore in order to show us how powerful/badass/awesome Malthael is?

Any thoughts?

Malthael has righteous intent and that's just it. Malthael seeks to destroy demon spawn and the demons of the burning hells. That includes "Us" humans and demons. Malthael is attempting to remove evil from the world. While it's not beneficial to 'us' humans nor is it fully "right" it's still a righteous cause albeit a harsh one.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Kael
Could this mean that Malthael, despite being a villain, has a righteous intent?

I still beleive that Malthael is on a "suicide' mission where he is doing all of what he's doing to remove evil.

To be slain by us, while weilding the souls of the Evils and die, and bring those souls to the "other side" to prevent them from returning ever again.

Reaping souls.
Reply Quote
If you ask me, it didn't cut through him because of his righteous intent to destroy all demons. That being said, I believe he was one of the Archangels that voted to eliminate the humans. Or he could just be slaying humans because he needs power to wield the Black Soulstone without letting Diablo escape.
Reply Quote
Considering that such an emphasis has been put on El'druin's lore by Blizzard, I am positive that it was an intentional and calculated decision to leave Malthael unharmed, not an oversight or retcon.

As far as I know, this is the first time that El'druin has been used on a non-corrupt/fallen angel. Since the sword is an angelic relic, it likely defines 'being of righteous intent' as anyone or anything that benefits Heaven. This implies that angels slaughtering humans is righteous in the eyes of Heaven, which matches up with all of the lore. Firstly, Malthael is not wrong by calling humans demonspawn, and second, if humans are left unchecked, they will certainly overpower Heaven at some point. Of course, we still don't know what Malthael's plans are with the Black Soulstone, but he obviously intends to use it righteously.

Malthael is not evil, or at least not any more evil than Heaven inherently is.
Edited by Chris#1235 on 8/22/2013 2:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Does Tyrael use El'druin during his fight with Imperius?

I'd check it myself, but the cutscene doesn't appear in my cinematics list. :(
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 8/22/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 03:09 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Does Tyrael use El'druin during his fight with Imperius?
No. He only pulled Solarian on Imperius.
Reply Quote
Firstly, Malthael is not wrong by calling humans demonspawn, and second, if humans are left unchecked, they will certainly overpower Heaven at some point. Of course, we still don't know what Malthael's plans are with the Black Soulstone, but he obviously intends to use it righteously.Malthael is not evil, or at least not any more evil than Heaven inherently is.

I do beleive that Hope and Fate were the ones that voted with the Nephalem, Valor and Wisdom against. And Tyreal voted with, sparing us.

Malthael might not be considering killing Nephalem... just yet. He might just want to rid the demons from existance... and it might be when he turns to the Nephalem that El'druin might take effect.
Reply Quote
Malthael abstained.

I do hope you are right and Malthael has a righteous intent (a retcon on El'druin would be really silly). It gives potential to the story of the game, since Malthael does not have to be the classic type of villain we are used to see, but a misguided angel instead with good intentions, but questionable methods.

However, he did slain innocent people (those Horadrim) and harmed Tyrael. How is that being righteous? I do hope Blizzard explains everything in the game (and not in a cheesy way!).
Reply Quote
Malthael abstained.

I do hope you are right and Malthael has a righteous intent (a retcon on El'druin would be really silly). It gives potential to the story of the game, since Malthael does not have to be the classic type of villain we are used to see, but a misguided angel instead with good intentions, but questionable methods.

However, he did slain innocent people (those Horadrim) and harmed Tyrael. How is that being righteous? I do hope Blizzard explains everything in the game (and not in a cheesy way!).

In the eyes of the divinity, no human is innocent. Ever. If we're half demon spawn, we're a black mark in the eyes of Malthael from the get go, not to mention a life of what he may perceive as "sin" and evil.

The angels certainly do morally questionable things. They are not all good, but in their eyes, the ends always seem to justify the means, and much like the demons, many of them tend towards extremist views of good and evil.
Reply Quote
Another thing i noticed in the cutscene is Malthael using his weapon to remove some kind of 'essence' from Tyrael and then 'suck' out some essence again from him. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Reply Quote
One thing to note when considering El'druin harming Izual is that regardless of Izual being truly evil or not when Tyrael faces him on the Silver Spire he has the body of a demon which would be considered evil. I have several theories on why Tyrael couldn't harm Malthael, perhaps he isn't evil (as the OP said). Perhaps Tyrael's human form isn't powerful enough to unlock the sword's full power, perhaps Malthael had a hand in forging the Archangel's weapons and could exploit that knowledge. The point is if anyone knew how to exploit the enchantment on an ancient sword of legend it would be the original Archangel of Wisdom.
Reply Quote
08/23/2013 12:14 AMPosted by sumugan
Another thing i noticed in the cutscene is Malthael using his weapon to remove some kind of 'essence' from Tyrael and then 'suck' out some essence again from him. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Maybe he recognized him by ''checking'' his soul? After all, last time Malthael saw Tyrael he was an Archangel and now he is a mortal.
Reply Quote
08/23/2013 09:15 AMPosted by Kael

Maybe he recognized him by ''checking'' his soul? After all, last time Malthael saw Tyrael he was an Archangel and now he is a mortal.

Most likely. If you check how he moves his head early on, Malthael appears to be confused because he can recognize Tyrael's Armor, Sword, and voice... but not the human he has become. He checks his soul to see if he's truly Tyrael. When he learns the truth, he spares him because Tyrael is not a "real human" AKA he's not half Demon and half Angel.

^My speculation.
Reply Quote
I agree with the reasons that people are mentioning.

Tyrael has an interesting relationship with Malthael since Tyrael is a mortal angel, and I wonder how this will pan out.

On a side note, I love the effect in the cinematic when Malthael is tasting Tyrael's soul, and it seems to move more like thread than an ethereal force.
Reply Quote
08/23/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Chris
On a side note, I love the effect in the cinematic when Malthael is tasting Tyrael's soul, and it seems to move more like thread than an ethereal force.

I think that the color of the thread is actually the color of Tyreal's wings.

The color of the Horadrim was a dark grey, dirty grey.

This was a pure white, like his wings.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
08/23/2013 12:27 PMPosted by Rain

I think that the color of the thread is actually the color of Tyreal's wings.

The color of the Horadrim was a dark grey, dirty grey.

This was a pure white, like his wings.

All Humans have a part demonic as well as part angelic heritage in their background. Tyrael however is pure angel, even if he is mortal now.
Reply Quote

All Humans have a part demonic as well as part angelic heritage in their background. Tyrael however is pure angel, even if he is mortal now.

What if Tyrael dies? Will he just respawn as an Archangel again or is it going to be the end for him? Is it possible to reclaim his status as an Archangel?
Reply Quote
He is mortal now think he wont 'respawn' again and maybe the crystal will give birth to a new angel of justice when he die unless it don't count Tyreal as the angel of justice since he is mortal and lost all his power we may see the new angel soon.
Reply Quote
Yes he has a rightous intend.He wants to finally end the eternal conflict by destorying all demons all angels and all humans.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]