Diablo® III

First time posting.. Need advice

So long story short, I stopped playing in mid '12. Just picked it up again and wow a lot has changed. I would like to do key hunting and ubers with My DH but i cant survive solo above MP3. even in a full game set at Mp 5 I still die. So any helpful advice would be great. I don't Want to spend the little gold I have on just one item (like a cc mempo). I checked out several guides and the info become overwhelming at times. Anyhow took a look tell me what you think.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kinglunchb0x-1634/
Edited by kinglunchb0x#1634 on 8/21/2013 11:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You may have realized that a dead DH puts out zero damage... so, you need to focus on more defense and less offense. For instance, 2 offensive skills is enough. I would switch out Multishot for either Vault - Tumble or Smoke Screen - Lingering Fog. Play around with the runes on Bola and Rapid Fire. There are better runes available on both those skills (check out my profile if you need a hint). I like Caltrops - Jagged Spikes better than Spike Trap but, that's a matter of individual play style.

For Passives, I would switch out Archery and Steady Aim for Perfectionist and NightStalker. You can look at switching them back as you pick up better gear.

For gear, You need a new bow probably worse than you need a new hat but, the hat is a close 2nd. You have the right pieces of gear they are just OK by today's standards.

For your current bow,1 Emerald and 1 Ruby is generally better than 2 Emeralds or 2 Rubies. If you want to have LS on the bow, it's generally better to go with 1 socket and get +% Weapon Damage instead.

Crafting is your friend; start with Dex Shoulders then Dex Bracers then Dex Gloves. After you have those 3 up to par, start crafting Dex Ammies.

You'll need an upgraded DML with +300 Dex and +300 Vit, forget the socket. You'll also want a better Nat's ring with Crit Chance (CC). Go to DiaBro3.com to check out your other gear scores. You'll need most things to be over 1000 to deal with MP-8 and above.

For high MPs, people normally go with a SoJ instead of the rare ring. You'll want Cold Damage, 28%+ Damage to Elites and bonus to your main damage skill. I just picked up mine for 65 mil. Remember, focus on how fast you can kill elites, not not paper DPS (how fast you can kill white garbage monsters).

What's your gold and/or cash budget and what MP level are you looking to play? A rough guestimate would be 1 billion should get you to MP 7, 2 bills to MP 8, 5 bills to MP 9 and 10 bills to MP 10. I believe 1 billion gold costs about $20-$25 cash. For me, it's a good investment as I have way more money than I have have free time.

Here's link to a post with 15 items (for 1.6 billion) that will give you a well rounded RF DH. It was a couple months ago, so prices may be a bit higher now.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9308442042#1

You can also check out this post for gearing assistance:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9628212861
Edited by DoubleD#1397 on 8/22/2013 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
sigh... not what I was hoping for. I have only 25mill left.. so new gear is kinda out for now. I will swap around skills to see. Question about mant, How is the ruby better than a *Emerald? I thought in the new patch CD is the name of the game...but like i Said before I havent played in a year.
Edited by kinglunchb0x#1634 on 8/23/2013 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For your manti, emerald are a lot better.

If you have a manti with +x% damage, then 1 Ruby and 1 Emerald is better.

For exemple:
Marquise Ruby = +160/160 damage
Manti with 1000 DPS, +45% damage and 1.21 Attack speed

DPS with 1 Ruby = 1000+(1.45*160*1.21) = 1280.72

You really need +x% damage in your manti if you want to put a Ruby.
Reply Quote
Personally I think you are more then tanky enough. I think damage is your problem at the moment.

For your current bow,1 Emerald and 1 Ruby is generally better than 2 Emeralds or 2 Rubies. If you want to have LS on the bow, it's generally better to go with 1 socket and get +% Weapon Damage instead.

Use a ruby if you have +x% Weapon Damage as a mod, for now I would keep the two crit gems in there, you will get better use. He is right though, this is definitely where you should be spending your money next.

BtW, weapons with +xx% Weapon Damage will boost the minimum and max damage added by the ruby. So a weapon with 50% Weapon damage will yeild 130 min/max * 1.5 = 195min/max, that is why he recommended it. If you want Life steal go with one he mentioned but I'd keep the crit gem in there.

For high MPs, people normally go with a SoJ instead of the rare ring. You'll want Cold Damage, 28%+ Damage to Elites and bonus to your main damage skill. I just picked up mine for 65 mil. Remember, focus on how fast you can kill elites, not not paper DPS (how fast you can kill white garbage monsters).

Dont buy a cold soj with your current skill set up, its a total waste of gold. None of your skills will work with a cold soj, and most people are using SoJs for the Discipline utility and the cold damage that can be coupled with certain skills so you can benefit from Cull The Weak. Your damage is currently to low for a SoJ, you would get about 20-30k dmg vs elites from it, but most rare rings can provide that boost quite easily. Wait till ~200k dmg unbuffed for the SoJ.

This is guide I wrote on SoJs, its pretty long:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9308901329?page=1#1

08/22/2013 12:55 PMPosted by DoubleD
You'll also want a better Nat's ring with Crit Chance (CC)

Most cc nats rings are wayyy overpriced and you'll definitely get way more damage from a cheaper one without CC on it. I'd search for one with:
Crit Damage, Average Damage and boosted Dext/Socket. These are way cheaper and will provide equal if not more damage for way less gold.

I think you should also consider dropping your Inna's Chest for a Nat's Cloak, it will still provide you with 130 Dext, but you could get discipline or hatred on the Cloak and Potentially boost the damage of one of your skills.

Now I know you've said, new gear is kinda outta the question so I'll focus on Skills and mechanics.

For Passives, I would switch out Archery and Steady Aim for Perfectionist and NightStalker. You can look at switching them back as you pick up better gear.

I don't agree with this at all really. I wouldn't put on perfectionist, your are more then tanky enough, if you can't survive spike damage, change Shadow Power - Bloodmoon too: Shadow Power - Gloom. Your damage is already low and I think this might be your issue with higher mps, so definitely do not remove Archery. Nightstalker vs Vengeance is mostly preference, try them both out. Keep steady aim if you are using it for snapshotting Rapid fire, it will provide a nice DPS increase.

Read this guide on snapshotting, its brief:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796682710#1

You should change some skill's runes around too, you have quite a bit of AoE skills available I'd drop one. Spike Trap - Long fuse is kinda bad, to long of an arming time, I find scatter to be the most useful but most people seem to like Echoing Blast. I'm a huge fan of Multishot and Fire at will is great choice if u'd rather that over Spike Trap.

try this maybe:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#Wcgjdh!bYe!ab.a.Z
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WcgQdh!bYe!ab.c.Z

I put vault in there so you can use this when surrounded and its a good way to obtain Steady Aim bonus before snapshotting Rapid Fire.

Bola - Acid is pretty underwhelming compared to the other runes, you'll get better utility with any of the other runes. I like Volatile Explosives + Night Stalker a lot, it procs a ton of discipline. If you want some AoE and high single target damage try: Hungering Arrow - Spray of Teeth, this skill is awesome and can be used with a Cold SoJ for a chilling affect.

I personally think that Withering Fire is a waste, I'd only use it with Spike Trap - echoing blast, but I really think you should drop ST and switch your Rapid Fire rune to something more potent. I like Webshot a lot because the slowing works amazing, and can be used for Cull the Weak. Fire Support is great because of the extra damage, and each rocket has a chance to proc things such as Night stalker which can prove to be quite useful. Also certain skills won't interrupt rapid fire channeling so you could try something like this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WcgY.h!XYe!abYc.Z
Also the way Rapid Fire works, is that every arrow shot, reduce your hatred by 1, so Hatred regen negates 1 cost each tick, Shadow Power - Night Bane can work really well for kiting with Rapid Fire.
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 8/23/2013 6:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
08/21/2013 11:25 PMPosted by kinglunchb0x
So any helpful advice would be great.

08/22/2013 11:40 PMPosted by kinglunchb0x
sigh... not what I was hoping for.

???????

Please describe what situations you experience death. Simple 'dying' is too vague to actually tell you what your doing wrong, and then people simply look at your gear/skillset to predict what your doing.

Ill ignore youe gear for now and look at your skillset since this is most likely what causes people to die, not really the gear. Gearing itself is just to match the mp levels.

Your only source of discipline is through vengence via health globes and tbh, this isn't enough imo. Consider using preperation and perhaps a stone of jordan.

You have no escape skills (like vault or smoke screen). These kind of skills are what lets people live through messy situations. Personally, the only time I think its okay not to use these kind of skills is if :

1. Ima baws and can take on the world
2. I have good crowd control so these kind of messy situations will rarely happen.

Thats from my point of view at least.

As for gearing, If you wish to use life steal on a manticore, I highly recommend getting a single open socket instead of two open sockets. The reason being is to get a manticore with much higher dps.

Chest get inna's vast expanse with ~ 200 vitality or you may wish to go 170+ vit/hatred regen natalya's embrace

Oh your quiver sucks, buy a better one with high ias.
Edited by VocaloidNyan#1582 on 8/23/2013 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would say that one thing that would help you a great deal at your current gear level would be to get a windforce for yourself and your scoundrel. It's a nice way to keep mobs off of you while still doing respectable damage. You should also start doing some crafting. The dex craft able gear is just insane if you get lucky with a good roll. The next thing I would do is drop that helm for a mempo even if it doesn't have CC.
Reply Quote
View profile
windforce

I don't recommend for group play. Solo however its a very nice weapon
Reply Quote
Yeah it tends to piss people off if used in groups.
Reply Quote
View profile
08/23/2013 06:40 AMPosted by ClaireMidea
Yeah it tends to piss people off if used in groups.

I barely notice when a player knockbacks a monster but I can't help but to notice a player being KB'd. I have been wishing players could do that kind of KB since release.
Reply Quote
Or ,

You can try to go full dex & attack speed with 10-15 mil. (regear to full glass)

With 150k-160k of dps, you can do mp5 with ease.

This is not final end game gg item build, but it is definitely budget friendly & less stressful as well. Enables you to manage up to mp 6 & 7.

Plus, i have a 1300 dps windforce with socket that you can use. Lemme know if ya interested*
Reply Quote
08/23/2013 06:02 AMPosted by TastySouP
I think you should also consider dropping your Inna's Chest for a Nat's Cloak, it will still provide you with 130 Dext, but you could get discipline or hatred on the Cloak and Potentially boost the damage of one of your skills.

- Will pick one up, Any min stats I should look for?

you have quite a bit of AoE skills available I'd drop one.

- newb question but what is AoE?

Also the way Rapid Fire works, is that every arrow shot, reduce your hatred by 1, so Hatred regen negates 1 cost each tick, Shadow Power - Night Bane can work really well for kiting with Rapid Fire.

- I really like the dmg of rapid fire. If I go night bane I wouldn't need the lower cost rune. Thanks for linking several examples of skills btw.

08/23/2013 06:10 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Please describe what situations you experience death. Simple 'dying' is too vague to actually tell you what your doing wrong, and then people simply look at your gear/skillset to predict what your doing.

- I seem to be dying by just getting overwhelmed, Even by whites ( I thought multi was good to prevent this but the dmg is just not enough. I Think Its cause I had no skills to get away with.

08/23/2013 06:10 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Oh your quiver sucks, buy a better one with high ias.

-lol, yeah it does... It is going to be the first thing I replace

You can try to go full dex & attack speed with 10-15 mil. (regear to full glass)

-I saw that on the guide sticky...I didnt understand it all that well... glasscannon or something it was called.

08/23/2013 08:04 AMPosted by Mao
Plus, i have a 1300 dps windforce with socket that you can use. Lemme know if ya interested*

- Would it be good to carry Windforce and swap in and out for solo/group?

Thanks everyone for the help I have a lot of trial and error to do.
Reply Quote
08/23/2013 10:14 AMPosted by kinglunchb0x
- Will pick one up, Any min stats I should look for?

Max discipline = 7+
or
Hatred Regen = 1.14+ (when using Hatred regen if you pass the x.5 Value, it rounds up. So with your Dead man's Legacy @ 1.27 HR + 1.14HR from cloak would = 2.51 rounded to 3 hatred regen)
and
Dext = 80+
Vitality = 150+

These would be pretty solid and fairly cheap.

- newb question but what is AoE?

AoE = Area of Effect = not single target damage

Here's a list of common abbreviations, the forums should make more sense:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979319534#11

- I seem to be dying by just getting overwhelmed, Even by whites ( I thought multi was good to prevent this but the dmg is just not enough.

You should definitely use vault in this case, I find Multishot actually works best when coupled with Preparation - Punishment and a cold SoJ so it slows enemies, but that's a whole other skill spec.

- Would it be good to carry Windforce and swap in and out for solo/group?

I love the weapon personally, fairly cheap costs cause of the lower damage output, but awesome utility and I find I can drop vault when using one.
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 8/23/2013 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Max discipline = 7+
or
Hatred Regen = 1.14+ (when using Hatred regen if you pass the x.5 Value, it rounds up. So with your Dead man's Legacy @ 1.27 HR + 1.14HR from cloak would = 2.51 rounded to 3 hatred regen)
and
Dext = 80+
Vitality = 150+

I think you meant 1.24 for Hatred Regen? 1.27 + 1.14 = 2.41
Reply Quote
Would it be good to carry Windforce and swap in and out for solo/group?

Nop.. no need to swap..because......

add me in game Mao#6908

"I saw that on the guide sticky...I didnt understand it all that well... glasscannon or something it was called."

i ll try my best to help you out buddy ! :D
Edited by Mao#6908 on 8/23/2013 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
All pretty good advice so far, even the stuff that contradicts me. Obviously, a lot depends on personal opinion and play style. Try out all the advice and see what you like best.

Looks like I need to read up a little more on SoJ Cold damage, may have been wrong there.

I seem to be dying by just getting overwhelmed, Even by whites ( I thought multi was good to prevent this but the dmg is just not enough. I Think Its cause I had no skills to get away with.

Caltrops - Jagged Spikes will also help with that. It's one of the skills you can lay down without interrupting RF. And if you have a full Discipline Orb (think Night Stalker + high CC) you can lay down a bunch of them for huge damage to nearby enemies (the damage from each one stacks).
Edited by DoubleD#1397 on 8/23/2013 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think you meant 1.24 for Hatred Regen? 1.27 + 1.14 = 2.41

HAHA !@#$! and I went to school for math >.<

even the stuff that contradicts me. Obviously, a lot depends on personal opinion and play style.

I hope I didn't come off as a jerk/elitist, sorry if so >.< I agree a lot depends on personal opinion and play style and that's the best part about the DH, I just felt he was probably having DPS issues. I hit that wall at one point, my eHP was solid but my damage was too low for higher mps so I had to rework my DPS and sacrifice eHP a bit.

Caltrops - Jagged Spikes will also help with that. It's one of the skills you can lay down without interrupting RF.

really good idea actually, Jagged spikes can be stacked 5 times versus an enemy as well, so keep em coming for max dps!
Reply Quote
I hope I didn't come off as a jerk/elitist, sorry if so >.< I agree a lot depends on personal opinion and play style and that's the best part about the DH, I just felt he was probably having DPS issues.

It's all good, no offense taken. :-) I agree, unlike other classes DH has multiple high end builds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]