Diablo® III

Why uncapped paragon is bad

The Bad.
  • You are made to feel like you are forced to play the character you invested the points into at the start.

It destroys any chance of there being competitive pvp.

People who have played the most/botted the most (prob most cases) are gonna be the strongest.

People who have invested/botted pre-expansion are at an advantage. People who haven't are at a disadvantage

Elitism - I.e Omg your only para 120, GTFO. 800+ para only. (I recently leveled a char without a hellfire ring, was kicked from at least 3x groups for not having one, imagine para levels)

It's 1 big grind that doesn't allow you to set yourself a goal.
  • There are probably more, but serious uncapped never ends well. Just look at games like Two Worlds 2....good games, but people have lost interest as nothing is capped. I miss the days when skill = power, not time. Uncapped is bad bad bad. What is good about uncapped? nothing.
    Edited by Shykon#2570 on 8/22/2013 9:50 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I agree, however i think there is more to this "uncapped" idea... i dont know how or what but it seriously just can not be plain and simple as uncapped. Has to be more to it right??
    Reply Quote
    The Bad.
  • You are made to feel like you are forced to play the character you invested the points into at the start.

People who have played the most/botted the most (prob most cases) are gonna be the strongest.

People who have invested/botted pre-expansion are at an advantage. People who haven't are at a disadvantage

Elitism - I.e Omg your only para 120, GTFO. 800+ para only. (I recently leveled a char without a hellfire ring, was kicked from at least 3x groups for not having one, imagine para levels)

• There are probably more, but serious uncapped never ends well. Just look at games like Two Worlds 2....good games, but people have lost interest as nothing is capped. I miss the days when skill = power, not time. Uncapped is bad bad bad. What is good about uncapped? nothing.

08/22/2013 09:49 AMPosted by Shykon
    You are made to feel like you are forced to play the character you invested the points into at the start.

Paragon levels will be account-wide.
    Reply Quote
    Since paragon bonuses are account wide, it benefits all your characters. Lyarria's twitter clarified how points work.

Bro, cheaters ruin everything anyway. If nothing else, insane Plevels may indicate who you don't want to play with. It may turn out to be the badge of dishonor that leads to more bot banning :). Anyway, I'd say stop concentrating on cheaters and start enjoying what uncapped levels mean to us legit players, because it is only fair that those who invest more time are rewarded commensurately.

Also, This is a loot hunt/grind game with a decidedly PvE focus. If you are looking for a skill based experience with PvP, I'll see you in Dark Souls II :). Just saying, set your expectations according to the genre. You can't buy a bundt cake and then complain about how much it's not like a sandwich.
    Reply Quote

Yes they will, but what about the points? Lets say you have 100 points & you dump 75 into your WD. Does that mean you have only 25 left for your other chars?

Also, This is a loot hunt/grind game with a decidedly PvE focus. If you are looking for a skill based experience with PvP, I'll see you in Dark Souls II :). Just saying, set your expectations according to the genre. You can't buy a bundt cake and then complain about how much it's not like a sandwich.

I don't care about the type of game, uncapped is bad in any game & never ends well.
    Offtopic: Do you play Ds1? I cant wait for Ds2 pvp :D
    Reply Quote
    I played D2 for PvP and it was awesome. It was my childhood haha. However i go to school, work, and of course do other stuff besides video games (im sure all yall too just trying to make a point). But some people are able to play this game tons and tons, and if PvP ever comes to be, i feel like i would never be able to compete because my level would be so low compared to everyone else....
    Reply Quote
    Yes they will, but what about the points? Lets say you have 100 points & you dump 75 into your WD. Does that mean you have only 25 left for your other chars?

All characters benefit from paragon 2.0 as long as one character is max level.
    Reply Quote

No, each character on the account receives a point.

I don't care about the type of game, uncapped is bad in any game & never ends well.

To be clear, it's merely the levels that are uncapped. You can only apply so many points, so there is a "cap." For example,t all core stats can only have a max of 50 paragon points invested in each.

Off topic: Hell yes, I was consumed by that game for a while! That game got both PvP and PvE aspects down. Even my wife is looking forward to DS2!
    Reply Quote
    31 Human Rogue
    The Bad.

I'm not seeing the issue. You had your chance with carebear Diablo and everyone hates it. Time to try this now.
    Reply Quote
    If pvp ever evolves into this game im pretty sure the following will happen, upon entering pvp fields, paragon will be removed, and actual player level, ie 60 or 70 will be the basis used. Remember, this isn't open battlenet, for modders, or people that reg-edit. Closed realm online, im pretty sure will level the playing field for all players when pvp does finally hit. What fun would it be to have a op player lvl800 paragon, against a lvl 50 paragon, not fun at all, the uncapped, is giving the hardcore grinders something to say hey im the highest paragon lvl around, stuff like that.
    Reply Quote

No, each character on the account receives a point.

To be clear, it's merely the levels that are uncapped. You can only apply so many points, so there is a "cap." For example,t all core stats can only have a max of 50 paragon points invested in each.

Off topic: Hell yes, I was consumed by that game for a while! That game got both PvP and PvE aspects down. Even my wife is looking forward to DS2!

From looking at the screenshot, it seems that you would need para800 to get every point then? (assuming each tab has 4 with a cap of 50 each) That's gonna take 1500-2000 hours for most, if not more =/

Offtopic: Yea same man, must have spent at leasst 2k hours on ds1. Ng+ got really challenging & the pvp was amazing. I look forward to seeing you in Ds2, a fight to the death!

08/22/2013 10:54 AMPosted by rufusjwb
    If pvp ever evolves into this game im pretty sure the following will happen, upon entering pvp fields, paragon will be removed, and actual player level, ie 60 or 70 will be the basis used. Remember, this isn't open battlenet, for modders, or people that reg-edit. Closed realm online, im pretty sure will level the playing field for all players when pvp does finally hit. What fun would it be to have a op player lvl800 paragon, against a lvl 50 paragon, not fun at all, the uncapped, is giving the hardcore grinders something to say hey im the highest paragon lvl around, stuff like that.

Hopefully ^
    Reply Quote
    You are made to feel like you are forced to play the character you invested the points into at the start.

You get points per character. If you got 200 paragon points each of your chars can spend 200.

What is this supposed to mean? Even if there was a big advantage between P0 and P200, the competiton can be done in leagues spanning different paragon ranges.

Of course, it is normal. Effort = advantage.

Of course, it is normal. Effort = advantage.

Elitism - I.e Omg your only para 120, GTFO. 800+ para only.

You don't get kicked for paragon level but for DPS. I would rather play with a P0 char with 300k dps then a 100k DPS P100.
    Reply Quote

When playing PvP they could just removed all bonuses gained through the Paragon System and the problem is solved.. so only the gear (and hopefully the player's skill) matters
    Reply Quote

You can put these points in all of your characters, so it encourages playing with other characters as well, not just "your main".

Diablo is and always focus on PVE. + these changes aren't all that big. Having better gear still will make you win probably. You can reset your points too, so you can change them back and forth to PVP and PVE stats. It rather defeats the chance of people winning when they buy with real money some items and don't level paragon levels and just wanna win with pvp against people who actually have spent a lot of time into the game.

People who have spent the most time on the game will be the strongest. True. So? That's not bad. That's just a fact. You can't just get to lvl 70, buy with the RMAH some items, and then expect to win against a "veteran" of the game. Again, 95% of the players will farm and not PVP.

Don't hang out with people who aren't liking you because of that then ? Look for nice people, how about that?
    Reaching plvl800 will definitely take a lot of time anyway, considering that with 8 plvl 100 chars you'd be at lvl 163. RoS will probably speed up the process of farming them plvl's, but still.
    Reply Quote
    Can't even believe I just read that...get real.
    Reply Quote
    Of all the things to be worried about, this shouldn't be one of them
    Reply Quote
    I plan to have 10 000 000 paragon level crusader with massive grandfather in main hand and super-solid-shield-wall in offhand.

Just thinking about it makes me happy
    Reply Quote

just like the sims right. ewww, that game failed miserably
    Reply Quote
    Anyone know the max number of points we can spend?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]