Diablo® III

How could MalThael become the Angel of Death?

90 Troll Mage
Ok the real topic is, is there an aspect for everything? -_- and if he's the angel of death, where did he get this from? we see tyrael got it from heaven, did he get this from hell? did he just decide this by himself and suddenly transformed into it?
Reply Quote
08/24/2013 06:39 PMPosted by Vauer
Ok the real topic is, is there an aspect for everything? -_- and if he's the angel of death, where did he get this from? we see tyrael got it from heaven, did he get this from hell? did he just decide this by himself and suddenly transformed into it?
There is not an aspect for everything. We don't know the mechanics behind it all yet, but I'm sure it will be explained to some extent in The Book of Tyrael and/or in RoS. I'm don't think it's quiiiiiiite as simple as a mere choice, but it's likely pretty close to that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
bump
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
bump -_-
Reply Quote
What, is my answer not good enough for you? ;)
Reply Quote
Chris's answers are as good as you're going to get.

But regardless

did he get this from hell?

No, I really do not think he did. I think his powers changed as he "evolved" per say.
I beleive that since he was so wise, he figured out the only way to stop the Lord of Hell was to become death. To reap their souls. No one else could perhaps understand this concept so it fell onto him to do it.

Its all speculations at this point though

08/24/2013 06:50 PMPosted by Chris
We don't know the mechanics behind it all yet, but I'm sure it will be explained to some extent in The Book of Tyrael and/or in RoS. I'm don't think it's quiiiiiiite as simple as a mere choice, but it's likely pretty close to that.

No one here really knows the answer to that, its what we are trying to figure out ourselves and this is the best answer we can give you. Heh
Reply Quote
Actually read this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3967586862?page=1
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
08/25/2013 05:33 AMPosted by Rain

I want alot of answers because I'm impressed that death suddenly shows up. Perhaps he got this from Trag'Oul? Since he is in charge of balance and he resides in Pandemonium (Mal'Thael was rumored to wander Pandemonium looking for answers)

No, I really do not think he did. I think his powers changed as he "evolved" per say.
I beleive that since he was so wise, he figured out the only way to stop the Lord of Hell was to become death. To reap their souls. No one else could perhaps understand this concept so it fell onto him to do it.

Well to be honest, it is very strange and im most interesed to know where his power comes from :P, it'd be cool if it was hell
Reply Quote
Trag'Oul does not reside in Pandemonium. Prior to his departure at the end of the Sin War, he was the guardian of Sanctuary and lived in his own realm, apart from Heaven, Hell, Sanctuary, or Pandemonium. His current location is unknown. Nevertheless, it is still possible that Trag'Oul is connected to Malthael's transformation to the Archangel of Death in some say.

Malthael, being the highest ranking angel in Heaven, likely got his Death abilities from within himself.
Reply Quote
The problem is, Malthael was the Angel of Wisdom.

He went on a holiday, and whilst he was sunning himself on the beach and drinking tequila sunrises, he gets a text message from Tyrael:

"Dude I totes took ova ur job whilst u were on leave - I am now the Angel of Wisdom. Lolz."

Upset, Malthael grabs the employment section of the paper, but there is hardly any good work available for someone of his experience.

Janitor... nah.
Used Car Salesman... nah.
Angel of Death, with paid overtime? Sure!

He applies. After passing the aptitude test, and successfully killing 4 of the 6 interviewers to prove his dedication to the work, he gets the job.

And then seeks revenge on Tyrael for stealing his job. And not returning the bobbing head Elvis toy he had on his desk.
Reply Quote
Seems legit. =)
Reply Quote

08/25/2013 09:52 AMPosted by Vauer

I want alot of answers because I'm impressed that death suddenly shows up. Perhaps he got this from Trag'Oul? Since he is in charge of balance and he resides in Pandemonium (Mal'Thael was rumored to wander Pandemonium looking for answers)

Well to be honest, it is very strange and im most interesed to know where his power comes from :P, it'd be cool if it was hell

Malthael has always been close to death so him abandoning wisdom to pursue the aspect of Death is not out of the blue or unusual. Book three of the Sin War trilogy "The Veiled Prophet." At the end of the book Mendeln and his friends are brought to the meeting chamber of the council by Auriel. There he looks upon Malthael, Mendeln himself being what one would consider as one of the first necromancers and versed in death gets an usual feeling while looking upon him. That feeling of death, not just any death but permanent and empty death.
Reply Quote
Malthael was darkened after the World Stone was taken from Heaven. He was Wisdom, so he had to have known that the rebels would procreate, but because of the power of the World Stone he couldn't see where they went. This eventually drove him mad and he left the High Heavens just after the World Stone was destroyed by Tyrael.

It stands to reason he assumed the role (self-proclaimed) of the Aspect of Death of his own free will as part of the darkening he experienced. Death, unlike Terror or Destruction, is not inherently evil...but moreso neutral. This rules out him having received any power from Hell. Death seeks balance. Malthael was seeking balance with the extermination of evil (his perception of evil).
Reply Quote
Malthael was darkened after the World Stone was taken from Heaven. He was Wisdom, so he had to have known that the rebels would procreate, but because of the power of the World Stone he couldn't see where they went. This eventually drove him mad and he left the High Heavens just after the World Stone was destroyed by Tyrael.

It stands to reason he assumed the role (self-proclaimed) of the Aspect of Death of his own free will as part of the darkening he experienced. Death, unlike Terror or Destruction, is not inherently evil...but moreso neutral. This rules out him having received any power from Hell. Death seeks balance. Malthael was seeking balance with the extermination of evil (his perception of evil).

While some of it may be right like I said before he has always been associated with death. Now on the other hand, destroying all evil is not achieving balance. Balance refers to an equal amount of Evil and that of Good. This is why the Nephalem are so unusual to both the high heavens and the burning hells. Also probably why we can be so much more powerful. Simply because we have good and darkness in our hearts and souls.

Anyway, Trag'Oul himself stated to Mendeln in the book that you cannot destroy all evil and you cannot destroy all good. You must maintain the balance or all will be lost. That is balance and balance must be preserved. Not what Malthael is doing if that is even his true intentions. That being the eradication of all evil. No one knows what his real motives are and we shall not know them until the game is released.
Edited by Valdez#1353 on 9/21/2013 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/21/2013 02:29 PMPosted by Valdez
While some of it may be right like I said before he has always been associated with death.

Don't know that I agree with "always". After the World Stone was taken he did begin to obsess over it's whereabouts and began to become notably more grim. When Mendeln came in contact with him he had already began his decent into darkness so it makes sense from that standpoint.

Now on the other hand, destroying all evil is not achieving balance. Balance refers to an equal amount of Evil and that of Good.

Agreed, however, that is what information is available to us ATM as to his motives.

Anyway, Trag'Oul himself stated to Mendeln in the book that you cannot destroy all evil and you cannot destroy all good. You must maintain the balance or all will be lost. That is balance and balance must be preserved. Not what Malthael is doing if that is even his true intentions. That being the eradication of all evil. No one knows what his real motives are and we shall not know them until the game is released.

I agree that is the definition of balance. I'm just not sure Malthael is necessarily thinking rationally. His intentions, as you've said, won't be revealed until the game releases.
Reply Quote
Wisdom can mean many things...

Knowledge of the intricacies behind life and death could be considered Wisdom, so this isn't necessarily something new...but more a shift of thought process. In other words, perhaps he was always like this...but now he's just calling himself different to reflect the new concept.
Reply Quote
I am thinking that to reap the soul is not to destroy it but to retrieve it for himself.

My conclusion is... it will end up as Malthael/Diablo becoming a god-class-nephalem due to the "pure" soul-level fusion between a prime evil and an archangel.

Death is terrifying to most anyways...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]