Diablo® III

Self-found mode

Any word on whether self-found will be an official game mode, complete with separate stash and separate games, in the expansion? Self-found would greatly increase the longevity of the game.

Assuming you do add it, please increase the character cap by more than the 1-2 that was recently stated. In fact, just make it very large in general please. In D2 you could make as many characters as you wanted, and that was great for pack rats such as myself.
08/25/2013 05:52 PMPosted by Phantom
Just shut up...

Thanks for the bump!
Considering the additions they are adding to the game in the expansion... new Paragon stats... Mystic stat re-rolling and enchanting... Smart Drops... etc... it is highly unlikely they are adding a separate mode for SF... that would be completely counter productive to all the new features.
no SF, now lets hope we stop hearing about it.
isnt there allready a self found mode? oh yes, its called don't buy from ah..see? problem solved
OP, no word. And it is very unlikely there ever will be. Why would Blizzard unleash all these new features on us to satisfy the communities needs in an attempt to bring us all together, then create a separate mode too fragment the player base.

An SF mode would quickly be overshadowed by all these new features. Players would gravitate towards the larger community.

You don't need a SF mode now! Shouldn't that be a good thing?
08/25/2013 06:00 PMPosted by itsHuge
isnt there allready a self found mode? oh yes, its called don't buy from ah..see? problem solved

This is just as false as the "you don't need HC, just delete your character when you die" argument.

Without a proper self-found mode, I would need to keep track of which items and gold were found on which character. I would also somehow magically know which games are filled with fellow self-founders.

I am also somewhat confused by the hostility. What's it to you if there is a new game mode I want? Nobody forces you to play it.
Edited by Aphyrax#1841 on 8/25/2013 6:27 PM PDT
You already have have a self-found mode. You want a "Look at my rags" mode. In fact, give them this "SF mode" so as I blaze past I can laugh at their pointless crusade.

If I am given a Ferrari or a Celica to drag race, I'll always take the Ferrari. You can win your Celica races, but you're still driving a Celica.

In case you don't understand SF mode = lesser mode. By all means give it to them, it will be easier to see who drives a Celica,
OP, no word. And it is very unlikely there ever will be. Why would Blizzard unleash all these new features on us to satisfy the communities needs in an attempt to bring us all together, then create a separate mode too fragment the player base.

An SF mode would quickly be overshadowed by all these new features. Players would gravitate towards the larger community.

You don't need a SF mode now! Shouldn't that be a good thing?

As long as there is an AH there is a need for SF.
really? another one. kinda annoying
My gosh... "We want Ladder! It will fix the game!" "We want SF! It will fix the game!"

They are trying to reduce the influence and the importance of the AH. Let's see how it turns out before asking for separate mode >_>

I don't care about RMAH users --- I really don't care at all.
i dont mind if they would ever implemented it,i just think its silly, u want to be recognized by playing self found, who cares, you want self found mode, don't buy stuff, and who cares if u play with self found players or not, its the same story, enter public game>farm>sell, its barley any talking so i dont see the diference.
You already have have a self-found mode. You want a "Look at my rags" mode. In fact, give them this "SF mode" so as I blaze past I can laugh at their pointless crusade.

If I am given a Ferrari or a Celica to drag race, I'll always take the Ferrari. You can win your Celica races, but you're still driving a Celica.

In case you don't understand SF mode = lesser mode. By all means give it to them, it will be easier to see who drives a Celica,

You are absolutely correct. SF is lesser mode. That is precisely the point. If everything is handed to you then nothing is worthwhile. The point of games is not to be as easy as possible.
My gosh... "We want Ladder! It will fix the game!" "We want SF! It will fix the game!"

They are trying to reduce the influence and the importance of the AH. Let's see how it turns out before asking for separate mode >_>

Reduce is not the same as abolish.

The AH serves its purpose. I want to try something new. I want to be as OP as possible as quickly as possible. These are valid uses.

The problem is, it takes the life out of the game. You grind some gold, then you go on the AH and buy gear that lets you sleepwalk inferno. Then you grind more gold so you can buy more loot so you can do MP1. Rinse, repeat. This may be fun for some, but not for me. I want beating inferno to be an actual challenge, like it was in hardcore early on. I want there to be a purpose to getting loot beyond, "hey I can crank MP up one more".

SF extends the period where the game is actually a challenge.
The OP recognizes that so long as the best gear can be obtained using the AH, there will be very little point in playing.

Why in the 7 hells would anyone pour countless hours into progressing a character when a better character can simply be purchased for $50? I don't really understand why Blizzard doesn't just allow people to buy paragon levels and achievements. Why have people play the game at all?

The expansion promises to add a number of nifty features, but unless the AH can only be used to buy "n - 1" gear, it will be a failure just like D3 vanilla.

Reduce is not the same as abolish.

The AH serves its purpose. I want to try something new. I want to be as OP as possible as quickly as possible. These are valid uses.

The problem is, it takes the life out of the game. You grind some gold, then you go on the AH and buy gear that lets you sleepwalk inferno. Then you grind more gold so you can buy more loot so you can do MP1. Rinse, repeat. This may be fun for some, but not for me. I want beating inferno to be an actual challenge, like it was in hardcore early on. I want there to be a purpose to getting loot beyond, "hey I can crank MP up one more".

SF extends the period where the game is actually a challenge.

Well then, don't use the AH.

Go play through the game normally. Certain monsters (boss I assume) will drop a guaranteed legendary useful to your class on the first kill. With that Legendary, you will be able to progress through the game.

Once you've finished Inferno MP0, go grind gold, use that gold on Mystic to make your gears better. With improved loots, you will find "Smart loot" faster.

You do not need to use the AH. Spend the gold on Crafting or Mystic.

If you think the AH will spoil your gaming experience, don't use it. I use it with moderation and it doesn't ruin the game for me. If someone spoils the game for him/herself, that's their own problem for doing it.
Wondered how long before these showed up again.

Just remember, you can do self found already. And the (why not delete your character when you die vs having HC mode) is ridiculous.

Death and losing all your !@#$ because you have to delete your own character is going to be a lot hard to swallow than simply trying to follow your own rules for playing a self found style.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9499941132

There, use that, go play self found. Better yet, join me! And we don't even need a mode! Wow.
The OP recognizes that so long as the best gear can be obtained using the AH, there will be very little point in playing.

Why in the 7 hells would anyone pour countless hours into progressing a character when a better character can simply be purchased for $50? I don't really understand why Blizzard doesn't just allow people to buy paragon levels and achievements. Why have people play the game at all?

The expansion promises to add a number of nifty features, but unless the AH can only be used to buy "n - 1" gear, it will be a failure just like D3 vanilla.

Well put. Originally, D3 was supposed to have a bind system similar to WoW. Then, in alpha they removed it because "it wasn't fun". When I first heard of it I considered that the biggest mistake they could make. A couple hundred hours of play time later, my opinion has not changed.

There is no intrinsic value in having a powerful character. The enjoyment comes from the journey there. The current system lets you bypass the journey almost completely. Which is why I quit after I beat inferno in both game modes on all classes. I did some farming after, but what am I farming for? More gear so I can farm faster?

The purpose of self-found is to delay the point in time where I can sleep-walk inferno, because at that point in time the game is done in my book. At the very least it doubles the number of characters.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]