Diablo® III

Self-found mode

I want a challenge in-game. I don't want to have to self-enforce a page of rules like the ones you linked.

When players start having to make up their own rules because the core game mechanics fail then you know something isn't right.

Again, I am confused why you are so against it. You actually play the mode, and if it were properly supported your own game experience would be better.

No, you want blizzard to hold your hand and make sure you dot your i's, cross your t's. Lame. Make your own game.

Self found is a mode challenged, by your self. If you cannot setup you're own rules to play by in any game, whether its to challenge yourself or just to play it different (as long as its not impacting other gamers) then what's the point?

Take it this way.

When you play pac-man. Did you always play the same pattern, did you try playing clockwise, or counter clockwise, even if it didn't work? Or lets go with need for speed. Did you ever try using only the worst car to see if you can beat the game?

Hmm. Where did the game come along and kick in and say. Hey! You are not following your rules?

See my point?

If you can't honestly play self found on your own without the assistance of blizzard to make sure its legit for you, then you have the WRONG IDEA about playing self found at all.

Those wanting modes fall into 2 categories:

They hate the AH< either cause they can't afford to use it, or think its cheating.

They want recognition for playing a character with gear picked up from the environment only, no trading or AH bought gear.

That's it. Those are the primary reasons for the mode. Any other reason falls directly into being able to play it NOW, and not needing a mode at all.

Thanks for listening, game on.
First he says this:
08/25/2013 06:38 PMPosted by Aphyrax
Not that I have ever claimed that SF should be mandatory, or that you should play it.

Then he says:
08/25/2013 06:51 PMPosted by Aphyrax
I read the changes. I seem to have missed the part where the AH was removed from the game.

Proves your need to profess your e-peen status to the world and drag everyone down with you.

"Look, I found these all items by myself!"
"I'm a pro~"
"You jelly?"

If you think the AH is going away, go away yourself.
Self found enforced mode would probably have me buying the expansion... But sadly I don't think they will ever release something that wont bring in auction house sales. I can only have fun about once every so often anymore on the game with the direct buy to win model. Not really even worth it to pick up the expansion unfortunately.
08/25/2013 06:55 PMPosted by Aphyrax
It would be great if the game was flexible enough to support custom restrictions such as the ones you listed. Realistically that won't happen because of a variety of reasons. But that does not mean you can't have at least the most common scenario supported.

I proposed groups back then. People can join groups with specific needs. No need for a separate server.

08/25/2013 06:55 PMPosted by Aphyrax
By your argument, HC should not exist. And if it didn't I would never have bought the game.

This again? People brought this up many times and always failed.

No, you want blizzard to hold your hand and make sure you dot your i's, cross your t's. Lame. Make your own game.

Why exactly is it "lame" that I want Blizzard to do the bookkeeping for me? Sure, I can work around the system and make it happen, but why should I have to? You still haven't explained to me what formal support for SF is bad. You can still do it your way if you prefer.

I want first-class support for this, similarly to how there is first-class support for HC.

Why exactly is it "lame" that I want Blizzard to do the bookkeeping for me? Sure, I can work around the system and make it happen, but why should I have to? You still haven't explained to me what formal support for SF is bad. You can still do it your way if you prefer.

I want first-class support for this, similarly to how there is first-class support for HC.

Problem is, none of us see the point of it. And being that I am already playing, I don't need a mode. You act like I have to write things down and track it? Seriously?

As I said earlier, I use a different realm, and the self found characater (only one) is on that realm. So everything in that realm is self found. No mixing, no tracking nothing. What is so HARD about that concept?
First he says this:
Not that I have ever claimed that SF should be mandatory, or that you should play it.

Then he says:
I read the changes. I seem to have missed the part where the AH was removed from the game.

Proves your need to profess your e-peen status to the world and drag everyone down with you.

"Look, I found these all items by myself!"
"I'm a pro~"
"You jelly?"

If you think the AH is going away, go away yourself.

Great job at quoting out of context! Keep bumping the thread.

(for those reading along, my point is that as long as the AH exists, SF provides value; since the AH won't go away, neither will the need for SF)

I am also confused why you keep bringing up the epeen card, when you have 50k elite kills on one character, while I have a fraction of that across all my characters?

I quit the game almost a year ago because I ran out of stuff to do. I am telling you that for me and me only, SF would increase the amount of time it would take me to run out of stuff. Meaning, I would play more. Which, you would think, is what Blizzard wants.
08/25/2013 06:51 PMPosted by Aphyrax
EDIT: And if you really think that your "well thought out" arguments have any sway on Blizzard then you are delusional. Same with mine. This is all a numbers game. The more attention something gets the more likely it will be done. So you feverishly arguing against it (still not sure why) actually helps it. So, keep fighting the good fight!

Are you blind? Is someone cherry-picking and reading to you some of the responses? Do you see how many people are telling you to basically go back to your hole and just stay put?

Yes, more attention is needed AGAINST the need for a whole new SF mode. Keep fighting the losing fight.
[quote]

Those wanting modes fall into 2 categories:

They hate the AH< either cause they can't afford to use it, or think its cheating.

They want recognition for playing a character with gear picked up from the environment only, no trading or AH bought gear.

That's it. Those are the primary reasons for the mode. Any other reason falls directly into being able to play it NOW, and not needing a mode at all.

Thanks for listening, game on.

Lol this is true, but is it really wrong to want to PLAY the game to WIN?

Problem is, none of us see the point of it. And being that I am already playing, I don't need a mode. You act like I have to write things down and track it? Seriously?

As I said earlier, I use a different realm, and the self found characater (only one) is on that realm. So everything in that realm is self found. No mixing, no tracking nothing. What is so HARD about that concept?

It is great that you are happy with the game systems as they are now! I am not, and that is proven by the fact that I haven't played in almost a year. When I consider buying the expansion, it will hinge on how many hours of enjoyment I expect to get out of it. If SF is added, I will get more. Making it more likely that I will buy it.

That last sentence is really the only thing that matters. I want it, and am willing to pay for it. Whether you think it is needed does not factor into my spending decision.

(for those reading along, my point is that as long as the AH exists, SF provides value; since the AH won't go away, neither will the need for SF)

I am also confused why you keep bringing up the epeen card, when you have 50k elite kills on one character, while I have a fraction of that across all my characters?

I quit the game almost a year ago because I ran out of stuff to do. I am telling you that for me and me only, SF would increase the amount of time it would take me to run out of stuff. Meaning, I would play more. Which, you would think, is what Blizzard wants.

Blizzard wants the AH. And SF mode will be rendered pointless by the way the drops will change.

Honestly, not sure why I bother. No one listens to me anyway. Go on, rant and dream about having an SF mode. Meanwhile I'm going to go play my sf character RIGHT NOW. Care to join me anyone? Europe realm, DTMAce#1687

Game on.
08/25/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Phantom
EDIT: And if you really think that your "well thought out" arguments have any sway on Blizzard then you are delusional. Same with mine. This is all a numbers game. The more attention something gets the more likely it will be done. So you feverishly arguing against it (still not sure why) actually helps it. So, keep fighting the good fight!

Are you blind? Is someone cherry-picking and reading to you some of the responses? Do you see how many people are telling you to basically go back to your hole and just stay put?

Yes, more attention is needed AGAINST the need for a whole new SF mode. Keep fighting the losing fight.

It is fine that people are against it. It does not matter how many are. What matters is, how many people want it, and how many of those are willing to pay for it. If that number exceeds the cost of implementing it then it will happen. Your opinion does not factor.

Bigger threads make it look like there is more demand. Nobody is going to tabulate the number of responses for or against, and you haven't made any good argument that would stand out. As such, you are helping. Keep going.

Still confused why you are putting so much effort into this. It is obvious why I am, I want change. You are feverishly arguing against something that has absolutely zero impact on you. Wouldn't your time be better spent playing the game?

Blizzard wants the AH. And SF mode will be rendered pointless by the way the drops will change.

Honestly, not sure why I bother. No one listens to me anyway. Go on, rant and dream about having an SF mode. Meanwhile I'm going to go play my sf character RIGHT NOW. Care to join me anyone? Europe realm, DTMAce#1687

Game on.

Blizzard wants the AH. But it also wants my $40 from the expansion. SF is a way they can have both. Seems like a win-win.
OP let me just ask you one thing:

With the upcoming changes that combat the need for using the AH to find upgrades (basically a SF mode), why do you want a SF mode that may very well separate the community even more?

Think about that logic for a sec. Not hard.
OP let me just ask you one thing:

With the upcoming changes that combat the need for using the AH to find upgrades (basically a SF mode), why do you want a SF mode that may very well separate the community even more?

Think about that logic for a sec. Not hard.

Yes I do. The AH will (and should) still exist. As long as it does, there is a need for SF.

D3 sold what, 12m copies? If a bunch of us breaking off into a separate mode destroys the game then there are bigger issues.

EDIT: And the changes to the game are not yet finalized. There is a 24 page thread on the main page arguing against it. So who knows what will stick. SF ensures that I can have the "pure" experience while those that want pay to win can also have their way. Seems like a win/win.
Edited by Aphyrax#1841 on 8/25/2013 7:16 PM PDT
08/25/2013 07:09 PMPosted by Aphyrax

It is fine that people are against it. It does not matter how many are. What matters is, how many people want it, and how many of those are willing to pay for it. If that number exceeds the cost of implementing it then it will happen. Your opinion does not factor.

Bigger threads make it look like there is more demand. Nobody is going to tabulate the number of responses for or against, and you haven't made any good argument that would stand out. As such, you are helping. Keep going.

Still confused why you are putting so much effort into this. It is obvious why I am, I want change. You are feverishly arguing against something that has absolutely zero impact on you. Wouldn't your time be better spent playing the game?

It does have impact on the non-selfies, he most likely just does not want to admit that. Most likely he has spent money, like a lot of other people. Everyone's status is going to be affected when the expansion hits, and if self found was introduced there would probably be no reason to ever use the auction house again, since we would all play the game instead of the AH (rendering all AH users obsolete).
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9754145425?page=3

Random thread from the HC forum. Read the first few posts on that page. "I am building a new char, I have X gold, what should I get". That is the current D3 experience.

What it should be is "I found this amazing item. I will build a char around it. How do I do that.". Such discussions did take place in D2.
quoting some1 on the forum (forgot name): "if you got such a problem with the AH, why did you purchase/play a game with AH"?

so i guess i got a solution here for the AH problem - stop playing
quoting some1 on the forum (forgot name): "if you got such a problem with the AH, why did you purchase/play a game with AH"?

so i guess i got a solution here for the AH problem - stop playing

I stopped playing almost a year ago. The AH factored into that decision.

This discussion is about what Blizzard should do to make me buy the expansion.
08/25/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Aphyrax
Yes I do. The AH will (and should) still exist. As long as it does, there is a need for SF.

Did you read?

08/25/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Phantom
With the upcoming changes that combat the need for using the AH to find upgrades (basically a SF mode)

You still don't like? Why?

08/25/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Aphyrax
How do I separate the gold of the SF character from my other characters?

Go play on a new realm.

How do I trade between my SF characters while they share the stash with my regular ones?

Go play on a new realm.

How do I make sure I only join games with other SF characters? Getting carried by regular characters defeats the purpose.

Browse through forums, find like-minded people such as yourself, add them to buddy list and go play on a new realm.

And finally, wow do I make SF characters when all 10 of my character slots are taken with level 60s?

You guessed it, go play on a new realm.

And remember, don't even hover your cursor over the AH button when playing in the new realm!

Problem solved.
Edited by Phantom#1322 on 8/25/2013 7:32 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]