Diablo® III

PC-version and Controller-support; any possibility?

(Locked)

92 Human Paladin
I think it's fantastic that the game is going to reach a wider audience, and honestly, the console-version definitely has some unique traits that are appealing, even outside of controller-support.

Still, I'm already quite invested in the PC-version, and can't imagine changing platform. I would *LOVE*, however, to see the PC-version given the ability to operate their character -- in some capacity -- with a controller.

Now, in saying that, I'm not asking it include all the bells-and-whistles that the console-version has. For one, they're very different platforms, so it makes sense the game would be tailored to suit a different experience, and two, I recognize that those things are, in and of themselves, kind of a selling-point. However, as someone who grew up using a controller, I just really dig the thought
of melting-face with a gamepad.

Plus, let's face it; PC's are finally moving into the living-room now. When you're sitting on a sofa, keyboard-and-mouse setups are... less comfortable. Don't get me wrong; even as a controller-lover, I still believe the game should be tailored with the keyboard-and-mouse setup in mind. However, if the game *can* operate using a controller -- even without the nuances offered in the console-version -- I just think it would be awesome to have that as an option.

I realize that, even in the best-case scenario, this is a pretty low priority, but I hope that, if there's any way to make it work, you guys will consider making this option available to PC-users, as well. :)
Yea, I think it'd be awesome if we could play it on PC with a controller.
View profile
i believe its a "no chance" thing. the entire interface and control scheme is different on console. it just designed differently. the PC game would not work well with controllers if you just plugged one in.

i just dont see them remodeling and recoding the entire interface to work with a game controler just so ppl can play like that. if its controlers you want then buy the console.
92 Human Paladin
i believe its a "no chance" thing. the entire interface and control scheme is different on console. it just designed differently. the PC game would not work well with controllers if you just plugged one in.

i just dont see them remodeling and recoding the entire interface to work with a game controler just so ppl can play like that. if its controlers you want then buy the console.

A lot of things are different on the console-version to cater towards controllers, true, but none of those things in really *necessary*. Simply mapping functions to the correct buttons, mimicking the console-version in the most basest of ways, would work. Sure, we would lack the dodge-roll move, but that's not a big deal.

Like I said, it's not like controller needs to be supported at the "primary input", or even secondary. Just making it *possible* would be fantastic. No fluff necessary, and there's certainly no rush -- just have it as an *option* at some point.

As for using something like Xpadder, I was under the impression that was against the ToS?
08/23/2013 11:11 PMPosted by Claymore
I would *LOVE*, however, to see the PC-version given the ability to operate their character -- in some capacity -- with a controller.

This is already possible using the WingMan® Profiler.
http://www.wingmanteam.com/faq.htm

Its what I do. It works excellently.
92 Human Paladin
08/25/2013 10:06 AMPosted by MeVII
I would *LOVE*, however, to see the PC-version given the ability to operate their character -- in some capacity -- with a controller.

This is already possible using the WingMan® Profiler.
http://www.wingmanteam.com/faq.htm

Its what I do. It works excellently.

Isn't that against the ToS, though? I generally avoid anything that even *might* get me banned.
Blizzard Employee
I think it's fantastic that the game is going to reach a wider audience, and honestly, the console-version definitely has some unique traits that are appealing, even outside of controller-support.

Still, I'm already quite invested in the PC-version, and can't imagine changing platform. I would *LOVE*, however, to see the PC-version given the ability to operate their character -- in some capacity -- with a controller.

Now, in saying that, I'm not asking it include all the bells-and-whistles that the console-version has. For one, they're very different platforms, so it makes sense the game would be tailored to suit a different experience, and two, I recognize that those things are, in and of themselves, kind of a selling-point. However, as someone who grew up using a controller, I just really dig the thought
of melting-face with a gamepad.

Plus, let's face it; PC's are finally moving into the living-room now. When you're sitting on a sofa, keyboard-and-mouse setups are... less comfortable. Don't get me wrong; even as a controller-lover, I still believe the game should be tailored with the keyboard-and-mouse setup in mind. However, if the game *can* operate using a controller -- even without the nuances offered in the console-version -- I just think it would be awesome to have that as an option.

I realize that, even in the best-case scenario, this is a pretty low priority, but I hope that, if there's any way to make it work, you guys will consider making this option available to PC-users, as well. :)
In terms of allowing an analog controller hookup for the PC, we don’t have any plans for that kind of support right now. Similarly, since Diablo III for console was designed with a controller in mind, the console versions of Diablo III will not support USB mice or keyboards.
Blues should put a sticky with all these answers like:

- No controller support for PC
- No PVP
- Loot 2.0, Paragon 2.0 available without xpac

etc etc
Blues should put a sticky with all these answers like:

- No controller support for PC
- No PVP
- Loot 2.0, Paragon 2.0 available without xpac

etc etc

pretty much this, ppl makeing to many asumptions espesually the expansion requirement for loot 2.0 and paragon 2.0
92 Human Paladin

In terms of allowing an analog controller hookup for the PC, we don’t have any plans for that kind of support right now. Similarly, since Diablo III for console was designed with a controller in mind, the console versions of Diablo III will not support USB mice or keyboards.

Well, bummer to hear, but I appreciate the direct answer. Although, be sure to let the folks at Blizz know if that the option would still get a thumbs-up, even after the expansion :P
View profile
08/26/2013 12:17 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Similarly, since Diablo III for console was designed with a controller in mind, the console versions of Diablo III will not support USB mice or keyboards.

But why have such restrictions in the first place?

I remember getting Unreal Tournament 3 for my PS3 when I had one at the time, and was amazed at the fact I could use either a controller, or a keyboard/mouse combo. Sure the PC version could already handle both kinds of inputs (with no general design changes between either aside from toggleable aim-assist), but it was pretty nice for a change to see a console game do it.

I could see it now. Me and 3 friends all sit down to play some D3 on my PS3, but there's only 3 controllers (one of my friends don't have a PS3, and the rest of us only have 1 PS3 controller), but I also own a bluetooth (or USB) keyboard and mouse. Would be a potential way for all of us to enjoy the game, without downtime. To be fair though, I don't see such a situation being common at all though (most people own 2+ controllers).

Also, what design changes were done for the console version (gameplay-wise) that wouldn't be viable with a keyboard and mouse? Using a controller on the PC version of D3 currently would involve using an analog stick for the cursor, which, is pretty non-viable. Can't see any particular feature that wouldn't be viable on console with a keyboard/mouse (but I imagine any movement and button actions pointing to keyboard/mouse are probably non-existent in the game code).
They have restrictions because its play how WE want you to play not how you want to play. They make more money then it took to put a damn robot on mars and are choosing not to give us the option not because they cant.
View profile
08/26/2013 12:33 PMPosted by Kenthros
They have restrictions because its play how WE want you to play not how you want to play. They make more money then it took to put a damn robot on mars and are choosing not to give us the option not because they cant.

in other words..
This is not Burger King. You can not have it your way.

:P
A good idea that many people want, of course they wouldn't do it.
75 Blood Elf Paladin
There is a way you can setup a Ps3 and 360 controller to work with D3 and any computer game. It doesn't violate the TOU. Basically you need a program that can act as a driver for the controller, a keyboard key remapper, and lots of patience.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]