Diablo® III

Vaeflare : Will HC Chars be safe from d/c in RoS?

Do you guys have any intention of adding a system to protect HC players in the event of connection issues? Only way I'd even consider coming back to this game.

And I don't want to hear any "but it can be exploited" from players or devs, thats an excuse and it could be circumvented with even a modicum of creative thinking and a bit more effort. It's easy to be content with as is when you got fortune in your corner and a solid internet connection. Some of us were blessed with being birthed in the boonies where electrical systems date from last century and there's only one available ISP.
Reply Quote
this ^^

oh and also tell the new lead designer to restore chests back to potentially useful

so sick of bots running this game
Edited by unholy#1141 on 8/22/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So youre saying that if Im about to die in a HC game I can intentionally unplug my ethernet cable or if on a laptop switch wifi off to save me from dying? Id love to have that option.
Reply Quote
Yeah I'm sure things like that appeal to minds who can't even read.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 05:44 PMPosted by Ghilgamesch
Yeah I'm sure things like that appeal to minds who can't even read.

Please do tell us your solution for circumventing this exploiting with your vast creative thinking.
Reply Quote
HC is HC because it is as it is
Reply Quote
The answer as always is Thursday
Reply Quote
Shouldn't even have to rely on our quick reflexes of going old school and unplugging in time. Can we maybe see a more traditional setup for the HC characters that you make? By traditional I mean an offline mode, no auction house, etc. I share similar sentiments as Ghilgamesch, and I'm sure many thousands of players, in that there should be some fail-safe in the event the server does cut out, your power goes out, etc so that technical difficulties are not the cause of the death.
Reply Quote
[quote="97528475768"]Please do tell us your solution for circumventing this exploiting with your vast creative thinking.

really. REALLYYY?

1. Indefinite pause until connection re-establishment would be the easiest, at the very least it will protect players who don't get booted from the game or don't CTD. That alone would mitigate many troublesome scenarios.

2. Depends on coding and the server client relationship of which i know not of, but having the same concept extend beyond game room thus fixing all problems.

3. REALLY!? Seriously how can that be the thing people get hung up on when botting and multiboxing are already rampant. I'd rather have fun playing my game for once then being worried of people disconnecting their internet to save themselves. D2 did it, and a great deal of rogue games do it, is D3 seemingly too good for it?

Don't be obtuse.
Edited by Ghilgamesch#1919 on 8/22/2013 6:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I just can't see a way around exploitation, as far as D/C detection goes. If there's any way for people to "pull the plug", so to speak, then it absolutely lays ruin tot he integrity of HC play.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 06:40 PMPosted by BurningRope
I just can't see a way around exploitation, as far as D/C detection goes. If there's any way for people to "pull the plug", so to speak, then it absolutely lays ruin tot he integrity of HC play.

Rope when i say 'pause' i mean that when connection is resumed you find yourself in the exact same situation the game you left it at. that way it can't be exploited. If you were going to die right before disconnecting, then you will die reconnecting. Also see #3 of previous post.
Edited by Ghilgamesch#1919 on 8/22/2013 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
08/22/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Ghilgamesch

Rope when i say 'pause' i mean that when connection is resumed you find yourself in the exact same situation the game you left it at. that way it can't be exploited. If you were going to die right before disconnecting, then you will die reconnecting. Also see #3 of previous post.

I see, I skimmed right over that bit. Probably due to my extraordinarily high intellect and such.

lol....anywho, a great idea but the logistics behind this, I have no idea how plausible it would be. Everything would have to be snap-shotted and perfectly replicated, including skill cooldowns. The cooldowns would be the key aspect here.

I would love to see this. I haven't yet suffered a death by D/C, but the prospect is quite unnerving.
Reply Quote
View profile
Blizzard can not control random disconnects, Therefore can and will never guarantee that. It's HC guy's you play at your own risk.
Reply Quote
You can save yourself anyway right now.

• Have a laptop where you have D3 login screen.
  • Play on your desktop.
  • When sh1t start happening, press ESC (single player pause).
  • Fill all the data on the laptop.
  • Crash D3 on desktop.
  • Login (press enter) on your Laptop.

If in public game you will need to work hard to make this fast...

The argument that that this protects from cheating therefore is invalid.
If somebody wants really to cheat, he will cheat.
The only thing this absence of lag/dc protection does is hurt legit players.
A Starcraft lag detection system would be good in D3.
Edited by marsovac#2732 on 8/22/2013 7:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
warcraft III Dota "Dotacash" servers have a program called DCClient, you use that to log into a LAN instead of into bnet to play dotacash servers/games

when using dcclient, if your interenet cuts out, it pauses the game to allow you 2 minutes to reconnect before resuming, giving you a chance to avoid dropping out of the game.

In diablo 3, this would be exactly what youre talking about here.

if a 3rd party offshoot project from WCIII can do it, I don't see why D3 couldn't
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 07:23 PMPosted by Dragn
if a 3rd party offshoot project from WCIII can do it, I don't see why D3 couldn't

Diablo 3 is in beta still, they have priorities to make the game work well.

Perhaps a few patches after the expansion they might start thinking about enhancing user experience in hardcore...
Reply Quote
View profile
Lag detection might work. The game freezes for 60 seconds or so and you have to re-login within that period or the countdown of death begins.
Reply Quote
Was beginning to suspect I was alone in this. Such an obvious feature it's kinda insulting that they haven't tried anything.
Edited by Ghilgamesch#1919 on 8/22/2013 8:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As we have mentioned in the HC forums, a pause would be a nice addition to solo play. But the bigger issue is the disconnect recognition of the Diablo game itself.

It takes ~20-40 seconds for the game to recognize a disconnect, then another 10 seconds for the game to count down. (side note: The chat server recognized the disconnect almost immediately)

Let me be clear, it is not the 10 second timer that is the issue, it is the delay of the Diablo game to recognize the detection to then start the 10 second timer. The timer is what we wanted, we begged for it. (the length of it can be debated, but it is needed)

What we were promised, a 10 second timer that keeps people from leaving the game instantly, isn't what we got. It ends up being... 40 seconds to 1 minute and a certain death disconnect.

If Blizzard can speed up their disconnect detection, to the same as their chat system, there is no need for a pause function at all.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Dafuque
So youre saying that if Im about to die in a HC game I can intentionally unplug my ethernet cable or if on a laptop switch wifi off to save me from dying? Id love to have that option.

No. I'm saying they could use this opportunity to implement Starcraft's DC protocol, which is bloody brilliant by comparison to the 30 to 50 second wait we currently have to DC in Diablo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]