Diablo® III

Vaeflare : Will HC Chars be safe from d/c in RoS?

08/23/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Taganov
So youre saying that if Im about to die in a HC game I can intentionally unplug my ethernet cable or if on a laptop switch wifi off to save me from dying? Id love to have that option.

No. I'm saying they could use this opportunity to implement Starcraft's DC protocol, which is bloody brilliant by comparison to the 30 to 50 second wait we currently have to DC in Diablo.

And they claim to collaborate with the other teams.
Reply Quote
zzz
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
08/22/2013 06:14 PMPosted by Martimus
Yeah I'm sure things like that appeal to minds who can't even read.

Please do tell us your solution for circumventing this exploiting with your vast creative thinking.

It's not hard and doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

1) Have the game detect a disconnect.
2) If the player is in combat pause the game and save their game ID.
3) Give the player a 20 minute window to reenter their game.
4) If the player does not log in in 20 minutes, resolve all damage with the 10 second timer.

It cannot be exploited because even if you do "fake" a DC you will just be thrown back into the same situation you were before.

You can let the game load all of the assets and resume combat when reentering.

Not exploitable, and it will save about 90% of all connection related deaths.
Reply Quote
Since the beginning, DC's were considered to be just another monster to be prepared for when playing HC. If you can't handle playing like that, then you aren't HC material, and you should either play normal or go play HC in a game like POE where HC deaths result in resurrection in the normal league.

It's a different sort of world on the other side.
Reply Quote
Pause is not an option in party games, those dudes can´t even wait 5 seconds to sell items

Gonna quote an idea i had on the HC thread

In DOTA, when you DC, the game automatically sends your hero to base. DOTA Blizzard! You have this in your WARCRAFT DOTA! Why not send the hero to the safest door/wp when a DC is recognized? It would take some coding of course, but you already have the ranged follower AI that tries to stay away from mobs when attacking, you just have to adjust it to be an all-in run without looking back AI, of course to the nearest door/wp that is where you came from, not the you are going. This wouldn´t benefit alt+f4 at all, cuz they can just run by themselves, and it would help lag/dc sooo much

Thoughts on this?
Reply Quote
Since the beginning, DC's were considered to be just another monster to be prepared for when playing HC. If you can't handle playing like that, then you aren't HC material, and you should either play normal or go play HC in a game like POE where HC deaths result in resurrection in the normal league.

At least in PoE the monsters can kill you in 1 hit and it doesn't take a DC timer to kill you.
Reply Quote

Maybe if you'd step over to the other side you'd understand what a disconnect is. It's not what was intended, that's all we are asking for.

It's not the 'monster' we are talking about, it's the 'pink elephant' that Blizzard doesn't want to address. The chat servers recognize disconnects almost instantly, but the game takes up to, and over, 1/2 a minute just to recognize a disconnect... to then start the 10 second timer.

There has to be a way for the game to better recognize disconnects and give us a legitimate 10 second timer, instead of a minute of auto-death.

This is a legitimate complaint by the entire HC community. You can build to last 10 seconds, but no build in the world will survive for a minute.

Edit: If they can't fix/improve the disconnect detection, instituting an auto pause function would be pretty useless. You'd still be sitting for 30+ seconds before the pause kicked in.
Edited by Opiate#1943 on 8/23/2013 11:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Maybe if you'd step over to the other side you'd understand what a disconnect is. It's not what was intended, that's all we are asking for.

I do play on the other side son.... I did play there in D2 also. I've lost my share of characters to monsters and DC's here. It's part of the game. You don't like it? Play normal like I do when HC stress gets to me.... like it does quite a bit.

I've got a 43 WD working in HC right now. So it's not like I'm talking through my hat.
Reply Quote
I dont know why Blizzard has such a problem with HC players logging off to avoid deaths. Other ARPGs let you do it and people die everyday...

The whole stay logged in even if you DC is silly. They want to keep people from cheating death... from my experience when someone dies on HC it happens very fast, way faster than it takes to log out.
Edited by Minmataro#1762 on 8/23/2013 11:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For as along as this game remains online only, this issue will persist.
Reply Quote
08/23/2013 11:17 PMPosted by Traveler

I do play on the other side son.... I did play there in D2 also. I've lost my share of characters to monsters and DC's here. It's part of the game. You don't like it? Play normal like I do when HC stress gets to me.... like it does quite a bit.

I've got a 43 WD working in HC right now. So it's not like I'm talking through my hat.

I didn't mean to turn this into a pissing contest with that statement; it's what you focused on and missed my point.

We are ok with the disconnect (the monster you call it), and I personally praised them when they added a 10 second timer to D3. I played D2HC exclusively (again not a pissing contest) and I know how people cheated the system.

It just isn't a 10 second timer, it's a 1 minute death. They have other systems (i.e. chat) that recognize the disconnect almost instantly, but yet the game itself doesn't (the pink elephant). It needs improvement.
Reply Quote
This should be No1 priority even if it involves a lot of work - for the next patch before the Expansion!

When you loose a high paragon with billlions of gear and 100s of hours due to this you might be done with D3, several in my friendlist are, and I almost was after loosing my P96 WD. (Eu Server)
Reply Quote

1. Indefinite pause until connection re-establishment would be the easiest, at the very least it will protect players who don't get booted from the game or don't CTD. That alone would mitigate many troublesome scenarios.

Yes. This!

It is the only solution tbh.

The moment the server and client have any trouble reaching each other the game should just pause, save everything within for example 50 yards of your character, and close down until next time you log in, in that exact spot, with the same monsters etc.

Disconnecting on purpose would be meaningless, as you would be just as close to dying when you logged back in as before.

Is it technically possible? I have no idea, but I'd bet its just a matter of how many resources you want to put into making it possible.

HC is indefinitely more fun than SC in this game, but disconnect death ruins it.
Edited by Shadout#2849 on 8/24/2013 12:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizz makes no money from RMAH in Hardcore, hence they could care less.
Reply Quote

Thing is theres no preparing for a disconnect in tree poison.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Hunter
08/23/2013 09:45 PMPosted by Drothvader

Please do tell us your solution for circumventing this exploiting with your vast creative thinking.

It's not hard and doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

1) Have the game detect a disconnect.
2) If the player is in combat pause the game and save their game ID.
3) Give the player a 20 minute window to reenter their game.
4) If the player does not log in in 20 minutes, resolve all damage with the 10 second timer.

It cannot be exploited because even if you do "fake" a DC you will just be thrown back into the same situation you were before.

You can let the game load all of the assets and resume combat when reentering.

Not exploitable, and it will save about 90% of all connection related deaths.

droth they can fix it without doing all that... Cough offline mode Cough,...
Reply Quote

That is by far the most retarded reasoning I have ever heard. Dear god..
Reply Quote

That is by far the most retarded reasoning I have ever heard. Dear god..

It's just uninformed. In the end... what we are asking for, a faster in game disconnect recognition, will help all play styles... will help the game overall, and still keep the integrity of HardCore (i.e. no insta-quit).
Reply Quote
It's an interesting idea and potentially incredibly useful feature for hardcore, and even though I would love for it to be implemented as a hardcore player, I doubt that it will be due to the "inconvienence" it might cause for softcore players.

It's too bad though, since this could realyl fix a LOT of problems with D/C that hardcore has now.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 06:40 PMPosted by BurningRope
I just can't see a way around exploitation, as far as D/C detection goes. If there's any way for people to "pull the plug", so to speak, then it absolutely lays ruin tot he integrity of HC play.

Guess how much care I have for other people wanting to screw themselves out of the Hardcore experience?
You guessed it. Zero.
I'd rather other people be lame than me losing another HC character to this design flaw.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]