Diablo® III

Vaeflare : Will HC Chars be safe from d/c in RoS?

08/24/2013 10:09 AMPosted by tbagala
I just can't see a way around exploitation, as far as D/C detection goes. If there's any way for people to "pull the plug", so to speak, then it absolutely lays ruin tot he integrity of HC play.

Guess how much care I have for other people wanting to screw themselves out of the Hardcore experience?
You guessed it. Zero.
I'd rather other people be lame than me losing another HC character to this design flaw.

You said it broseph.

To repost a relevant response I made in the HC forums"
"Yeah man, I quit this game months ago because I lost my 800mil (was alot at the time) DH to a D/C, was so pissed I even deleted the archived character and several other characters. It's stupid its not a game when it's already a chore to get to a point where you feel happy with your character and then no fun when all of that is snatched away by something as arbitrary as a D/C of which you have no power over.

Honestly I can't believe the dev teams oversight and audacity. If I released something to the public with such a glaring problem I'd be sweating bullets every second it took me to create a patch to remedy it. They really do not care."
Reply Quote
I just can't see a way around exploitation, as far as D/C detection goes. If there's any way for people to "pull the plug", so to speak, then it absolutely lays ruin tot he integrity of HC play.

Guess how much care I have for other people wanting to screw themselves out of the Hardcore experience?
You guessed it. Zero.
I'd rather other people be lame than me losing another HC character to this design flaw.

This is actually a very valid argument, but unfortunately the cry for "ladders" and PvP sends a mixed message to the developers and game director. No, they haven't given us either PvP or Ladders... yet, but if those are on the horizon... they want to keep any security measures they have, in place. I understand that.

And, I'd say most of us are fine with those 'security measure' in place. But as it stands, the 10 second timer means nothing... with a game that doesn't detect the disconnect.

Edit:

Honestly I can't believe the dev teams oversight and audacity. If I released something to the public with such a glaring problem I'd be sweating bullets every second it took me to create a patch to remedy it. They really do not care."

It isn't glaring, to be honest. This only has a minor effect on the SC community; the HC population is relatively small, and the only-HC population is even smaller. Hell, the developers hardly play any HC.

But they do know about the disconnection deaths, and they have to know it is affecting the game negatively. The best we can do is continue to speak out, and hope one day we'll be answered.
Edited by Opiate#1943 on 8/24/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/24/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Opiate
The best we can do is continue to speak out, and hope one day we'll be answered.

What do we want? D/C PROTECTION!!!
When do we want it? NOW!!
=p
Reply Quote
"It isn't glaring, to be honest. This has minor affect on the SC community; the HC population is relatively small, and the only-HC population is even smaller. Hell, the developers hardly play any HC.

But they do know about the disconnection deaths, and they have to know it is affecting the game negatively. The best we can do is continue to speak out, and hope one day we'll be answered." -opiate

That is the depressing truth. The sad part is I bought the collectors edition being a massive fan of D2 hardcore; exclusively to play this game in hardcore. 100 dollar mistake but hopefully with this forum I'll know how not to repeat it.
Reply Quote
Worst part of it is, I've been way too hesitant to play HC lately as the server has seemingly been more laggy than usual.
This problem persists further than just disconnects too, even a hard lag spike from something completely out of our control can cause an otherwise preventable death.
This can come from ISP trouble, weather, power outage, a badger gnawing on my ethernet cable, you name it. Something needs to be done.
Reply Quote
d/c in a bad situation = death forever
It'll probably stay that way.
They probably focus on other things right now.

I just don't play on my HC when it seems to become laggy. I go ultra safe and play with my SC guy.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Dafuque
So youre saying that if Im about to die in a HC game I can intentionally unplug my ethernet cable or if on a laptop switch wifi off to save me from dying? Id love to have that option.

No , its better to keep dying from lagspikes after many hours invested.
Reply Quote
d/c in a bad situation = death forever
It'll probably stay that way.
They probably focus on other things right now.

I just don't play on my HC when it seems to become laggy. I go ultra safe and play with my SC guy.

I agree, disconnect deaths will happen... to keep the integrity in HC, it is part of the game.

The issue is that you don't even have to be in a 'bad' situation. Just stand in the middle of a few white mobs and see how long it takes for them to empty your health. Most likely it will be more than 10 seconds, but they will empty it. Or stand in the fields with a tree around... eventually it will place psn right under you. The point being.. the less time we are trapped 'in game', looking like target dummies... the better chance we have for survival.

Blizzard instituted a 10 second timer with the intentions that this would be the right amount of time to not hamper a true D/C, but yet keep out the alt+f4 cheaters. We now know, with plenty of examples, that the time spent in 'limbo' is much, much longer than 10 seconds.

As for a pause function... if they can do that for solo play, great! People on the forums have put together some really good ideas... I hope Blizzard is reading.
Reply Quote
Would like to see an answer to this question too, answered by Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Bump +1,000,000
Reply Quote
08/24/2013 04:35 PMPosted by familia
I'm trying to understand how someone could respond fast enough to unplug their internet moments before death.

Setup the router very close to their play spot, break the clip off of the ethernet plug, and yank the cord
Reply Quote
I hate threads like these "Oh please give us HC protection from XYZ". If you go in to a situation, knowing full well of the consequences than you shouldn't gripe about it especially if you cant perform the task. It is like only making 2000 a month but your bills are 3000 a month and you complain about things are expensive, here is an idea, stop living beyond your means. The same thing applies. If you are fearful of disconnects or anything in relation to hardcore mode, than you shouldn't be playing it.

"Oh but I bought the game, I get to play it how I want, this is America!!!" Yeah you are still wrong in your justification to play a mode that has a "problem" you dont want to deal with and expect a magical work around. Just because it exists, doesn't mean it is right for you no matter how you feel about it. If you find it fun, ok go have fun, but since you know the consequences dont show up a week later when you die and say "HC is too hardcore!, we needs more protection!". Deal with it like a normal human being.
Reply Quote
I hate threads like these "Oh please give us HC protection from XYZ". If you go in to a situation, knowing full well of the consequences than you shouldn't gripe about it especially if you cant perform the task. It is like only making 2000 a month but your bills are 3000 a month and you complain about things are expensive, here is an idea, stop living beyond your means. The same thing applies. If you are fearful of disconnects or anything in relation to hardcore mode, than you shouldn't be playing it.

"Oh but I bought the game, I get to play it how I want, this is America!!!" Yeah you are still wrong in your justification to play a mode that has a "problem" you dont want to deal with and expect a magical work around. Just because it exists, doesn't mean it is right for you no matter how you feel about it. If you find it fun, ok go have fun, but since you know the consequences dont show up a week later when you die and say "HC is too hardcore!, we needs more protection!". Deal with it like a normal human being.

There is so much dumb in this post it hurts.
They could SO EASILY make a fix for this problem but they don't, currently it's designed to kill you as soon as your connection is anything less than perfect.
You haven't even touched Hardcore from the looks of your profile, so you have NO room to judge.
Go play hardcore, get a character to lvl 60, work work and work your butt off for legitimate millions worth of gear, and then die from something totally out of your control, isp errors, servers crash, lag spike, power outage, anything.
Yeh, go do all of that and then come back to tell us how you feel.
Have a nice day.
Edited by tbagala#1621 on 8/24/2013 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote

What ? Starcraft has dc protection so diablo should have one too, we dont want a magic pill, we want a stable product and a company as blizzard should ensure that considering they're making us play online (nowhere on the cover it said servers will be unstable)... but hey, your comment makes perfect sense, kinda like saying boo hoo, you want brakes intalled in your car ? if you're that scared of driving with no brakes just use public transportation....

With that being said, while I do hope that some time in the future they do introduce some sort of dc protection (like the remarkable pause) I am against removing the 10 seconds timer coz it will be abused by 97% of the playerbase (me included, coz nobody would be able to resist the temptation) and will turn hc into sc....
Edited by Smithey77#2936 on 8/24/2013 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

So much pretentious stupidity,.. I'm not even going to bother man, you're too far gone.

EDIT: Thanks for taking the helm on this one tbagala. I don't have it in me.
And to Smithey, honestly as a band-aid fix until they can instate a pause system I wouldn't even mind them disabling the 10 seconds altogether. I'd rather be able to play and exploit along with everyone else than suffer dismal deaths by D/C.
Edited by Ghilgamesch#1919 on 8/24/2013 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Do you play HC? or are you just doing an "I'm jealous of America" rant?
Reply Quote
Nope, all your arguments are invalid. You all will be a bunch of whining carebear babies until you get it your way.

The reasons listed such as "ISP errors" well who controls your ISP, you! If its giving you errors, get a new ISP! If you cant, well then suck it up and realize you cant play a game a particular way! Server crash, ok it happens but not like there is a server crash once a week, they are few and far between, you are using this example as if its a regular occurrence. Lag spike, lets review that one:

First and foremost, you have chosen to play a part of the game that has severe consequences for dieing. You have accepted the risk and the fact that anything could happen that could lead you to your character dieing. There ARE things to consider when playing such a mode whether you want to agree or not, in D3s case there are many such as: How good is your machine? What graphics should they be set to so you dont "lag" out? How good is your ISP? If you live in a place where other people use the same internet, will it lag you out or will you not be effected? What is the weather like? Do you live in a place that has frequent power outages? If someone messages you outside of the game, will it minimize the game?

So, with all that said, the lag spike is solely on you 95% of the time the other 5% goes to those random times when it is Blizzard's fault and once again, few and far between. Lastly, the term "anything" was thrown around, I guess that could be put towards your cat jumping on your lap, keyboard or in front of your monitor, I dont know that's your cat its your responsibility.

No one needs to play HC to understand HC. Its like comparing tylenol to acetaminophen, its the same thing with subtle differences. If you played SC and you read about the differences between SC and HC, then there isn't much to say.
Reply Quote
Nope, all your arguments are invalid. You all will be a bunch of whining carebear babies until you get it your way.

The reasons listed such as "ISP errors" well who controls your ISP, you! If its giving you errors, get a new ISP! If you cant, well then suck it up and realize you cant play a game a particular way! Server crash, ok it happens but not like there is a server crash once a week, they are few and far between, you are using this example as if its a regular occurrence. Lag spike, lets review that one:

First and foremost, you have chosen to play a part of the game that has severe consequences for dieing. You have accepted the risk and the fact that anything could happen that could lead you to your character dieing. There ARE things to consider when playing such a mode whether you want to agree or not, in D3s case there are many such as: How good is your machine? What graphics should they be set to so you dont "lag" out? How good is your ISP? If you live in a place where other people use the same internet, will it lag you out or will you not be effected? What is the weather like? Do you live in a place that has frequent power outages? If someone messages you outside of the game, will it minimize the game?

So, with all that said, the lag spike is solely on you 95% of the time the other 5% goes to those random times when it is Blizzard's fault and once again, few and far between. Lastly, the term "anything" was thrown around, I guess that could be put towards your cat jumping on your lap, keyboard or in front of your monitor, I dont know that's your cat its your responsibility.

No one needs to play HC to understand HC. Its like comparing tylenol to acetaminophen, its the same thing with subtle differences. If you played SC and you read about the differences between SC and HC, then there isn't much to say.

I have absolutely no idea why I'm about to bother with such a dense person, maybe I'm just tired and not thinking clearly, but here goes..
Are you really that simple to believe WE control our ISP? First off, I have the best ISP anyone can get in my distant area, Eatel Fiber. But since you have ZERO clue as to what you are babbling on about, even the very best ISP can have bad traffic here and there, I'm going to give you a keyword and you can go look it up, I'm not wasting my time: -Internet Backbone-
As for the servers crashing, no one said it was an often occurrence, but it only takes once. As well as, I can have the most perfect connection on Earth, never have a single issue, get to paragon 99, and then have 1 problem, any problem. Once. It only takes once.
Lag spikes, this goes back to the previous key word I was kind enough to enlighten you about, do some research and educate yourself.
Yes, I chose to play a mode on a game that was a part of the game I payed for, I accepted the risk, I've dealt with it as well as you can clearly see on my profile.
How good is my machine? Put it this way, I can play any game on the market in 1080 @ 60fps, max settings, as I do with the over 300 other games I own on Steam.
What graphics should be set? MAX, just covered this.
How good is my ISP? just covered that also, but go on ahead and re-read it just to be sure it sunk in.
Do I live in a place that other people use the same internet? Sure do. Does it matter? Nope. I can game on any game I want while someone else streams Netflix or Youtube or what have you and still be fine, hence the FIBER connection I have.
Weather is fine usually and never makes no difference to me, but others at times have problems with their service when weather gets rough.
Does MY power go out often? No, in fact it could be raining, hailing, and storming to where the sky was black and looked to be Armageddon out, and my power will usually remain on. I live next to 2 schools.
About the messaging me comment.. No. Simple.
Lag spike being ME? No not usually, though some people who Aren't computer/network techs might have this issue.
Lastly, I do not own a cat, and the term 'anything' isn't, believe it or not, I know this is a hard one to grasp, limited to a cat jumping on me or my equipment.
The last small paragraph you conjured up from the depths of stupidity, I will not even dignify with a proper response, nope, this is all you get.
So no, there isn't much to say, except what I just said, and the fact that you are such a simpleton it gives me a headache thinking anyone can Actually be THAT dense, but you have not ceased to astound and amaze in that regard. So, for that you get props.
Don't bother replying to me again, or I'll just tear through you.... again.
Take care.
Edited by tbagala#1621 on 8/25/2013 1:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/23/2013 11:17 PMPosted by Traveler
Maybe if you'd step over to the other side you'd understand what a disconnect is. It's not what was intended, that's all we are asking for.

I do play on the other side son.... I did play there in D2 also. I've lost my share of characters to monsters and DC's here. It's part of the game. You don't like it? Play normal like I do when HC stress gets to me.... like it does quite a bit.

I've got a 43 WD working in HC right now. So it's not like I'm talking through my hat.

I'm sure someone already addressed this, but, LOL!!!! 43...You don't get to have an opinion until you're 60 and inferno. 43, you can survive anything the monsters throw at you for 5 minutes before you die. Such is not the case in Inferno, where even the supposed "10 second d/c timer" is enough time to kill you. I'm not 60 in HC yet, so I don't pretend like I know much, but I do know enough that it's pretty freaking rare to die pre-60, on any char, with any gear, but the entire game changes when you do hit 60 and Inferno.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]