Diablo® III

External monitor - can't select 1650x1080

Just started D3 up after an intermediate hiatus. I've got a Macbook Pro with an external monitor (HP w2207h) connected via HDMI (with a MiniDsiplay to HDMI adapter inbetween).

When the game loads, my only resolutions are 16:9 widescreen, and the available options do not include 1650x1080, the necessary option for this monitor.

Has something changed with subsequent patches?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
If you intend to play the game on that monitor you need to first set it as the primary display in the Display Preferences pane. To do that just drag the menubar in the display identification window to the external display.

After doing that you should set your display to the resolution you wish to use. If for some reason you still cannot access that resolution with the desktop resolution already set, then you will need to perform the step listed below:

Open the Terminal and enter the following line, followed by the Enter key:

defaults write com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault 1

Once entered Diablo III can use your current desktop resolution as if it were the native resolution. In order for this to work, you must first set your desktop resolution to whatever you want Diablo III to run at, and then launch Diablo III.

To revert your preference file, issue the following command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault

The Terminal can be found in /Applications/Utilities. This will force Diablo 3 to use whatever resolution you have your desktop set to, and since your primary display is (hopefully) set to the external monitor, you can enjoy the proper resolution without hassle.

Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
I followed the terminal steps as described (pasted: defaults write com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault 1 into terminal), but it didn't provide 1650x1080 upon entering the game. It defaulted to 800x600 Fullscreen without only 16:9 as alternate resolution options, none of which were 1650x1080.

Here's my graphics/display setup: http://goo.gl/OQa2BV

Any additional tips?
Reply Quote
When I go to adjust my OSX display resolution I have two options "Best for display" and "Scaled". The specific resolution options are buried inside the "Scaled" option, however OSX continuously reverts back to "Best for display" which also happens to be 1650x1080.

Doubt that makes a difference but I thought I'd give you all the details.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I would choose "Best for Display". That forces the desktop resolution to 1650x1080, which is what you want Diablo 3 to use. Since the Terminal command has been entered, Diablo 3 should now default to that resolution when you start up.

If it is not, you may need to turn off the automatic graphics swtching in the Energy Saver prefpane by unchecking that option as it may somehow be forcing use of the Intel integrated GPU and not the discrete AMD GPU.
Reply Quote
Thanks TheTias! The problem was "Automatic Graphics Switching". Disabling this (thus forcing the discrete GPU) worked like a charm.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Sweet! Just remember to toggle that back when you aren't playing games and are not on wall power or else you'll lose battery life like it's going out of style.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]