Diablo® III

Things that bother me...

View profile
A little background on the lore of Diablo

In the beginning there was nothing. Only a pearl.
In that pearl slept a spirit named Anu.
Within its eternal dream-state, wanting to be pure and perfect, decided to cast off all its bad aspects which became Tathamet
The diamond warrior and the 7 headed dragon fought for countless years within the pearl.
Both were equal in strength and eventually both dealt the killing blow on the other simultaneously.
Both died.
Anu transcended to a higher realm.
Tathamet's fate after death is not known.
The resulting explosion from their deaths gave birth to Diablo's universe.

All that was left,
The Worldstone at the heart of Pandemonium,
The Crystal Arch,
The Burning Hells.

The Worldstone, also known as the Heart of Creation is not a stone, but a jewel. A jewel that made all the realities in the Diablo universe and all the possibilities that are to come. It is a jewel that allows the wielder to alter reality and create worlds and lives.

Angels and Demons both used it in times past, separately, to create worlds in their nature but the worlds were inherently flawed and was doomed to wither and die. Eventually the Worldstone was used to create Sanctuary, this time in the nature of both Angels and Demons.

The things that bother me...

1) Anu is supposed to be in an ETERNAL dream-state. Are all the events up till now just all a dream of his? That is, we are all in his dream, we are not real, nothing really happened.

2) Why did Anu and Tathamet war? They are essentially one and the same being.

3) We are told Anu has passed on into a place beyond this universe after his death. What happened to Tathamet?

4) The resulting explosion from their deaths created the universe. Are we still within the Pearl? Or did the explosion destroy the Pearl? For the Pearl to contain the war between Anu and Tathamet, I would imagine it is a very vast and sturdy Pearl.

5) Is the realm that Anu passed on to still within the Pearl or beyond the Pearl?

6) Anu wanted to achieve a state of purity and perfection but that resulted in his death. Was this something he did not forsee or something that he planned?

7) It is unlikely Anu did not foresee his death. He has within him the aspect of Wisdom and Fate. Ithareal has boundless sight and he is only a pale shadow of what Anu is.

8) If Anu planned his death, then there is something inherent in dying that allows Anu to transcend to the benevolent realm, a paradise, he is currently at.

9) Why were the worlds create separately by angels and demons with the Worldstone inherently flawed and doomed to die? Was this because worlds that only have the aspects of Anu or aspects of Tathamet incomplete? Is this why the Balance is so important to maintain?

10) Is the reason why Sanctuary is still whole because it was created by both Angels and Demons? Does this show the necessity of the entirety of the good and bad aspects of what was once Anu to be together for a world to survive? Is this why Trag Oul is so determined to maintain the Balance of Light and Dark?

11) Why did Malthael's mood darken upon discovering the birth of Sanctuary? What is Malthael's goal?

12) Did Malthael in his Wisdom desired Heaven's defeat because in Death will they transcend to the realm Anu is at?

13) Did Malthael perhaps know the fate that the angels will lose despite Ithareal never revealing the fate that he saw in his scroll?

14) Did Malthael perhaps became upset that the Nephalem might alter the fate of Heaven's defeat?

15) Malthael tellingly remained silent when Imperious struck Diablo down despite a good chance to seal Diablo away instead of allowing Diablo to respawn. Did Malthael perhaps want Diablo to return and destroy Heaven?

16) Malthael has now taken on the Aspect of Death. But all aspects, be it good or bad, are spawned from either Anu or Tathamet(which is also Anu). Neither of them has the Aspect of Death in them. Where did Malthael get his Aspect of Death? Anu has the 5 virtues which formed the initial 5 Archangels. Tathamet has his 7 evils which formed the 7 Great Evils. Aspect of Death?

17) Did Malthael in his wisdom, as it was for Anu, foresee that death was the way to transcend their current universe into a higher realm/paradise?

18) Where did Trag Oul come from? And all his fellow guardians? In the beginning there was nothing but the Pearl and Anu. After Anu there was only the Crystal Arch and the Burning Hells and Pandemonium/Worldstone.

I have many more thoughts and questions and doubts. But my mind is shutting down. Appreciate any thoughts and speculations and the likes.
Edited by EremiteAngel#6608 on 8/26/2013 5:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow that lore sounds a lot like the creation stories of other religions... a little like some babylonian, zoroastrian and some voodoo thought mixed together.
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 09:53 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
1) Anu is supposed to be in an ETERNAL dream-state. Are all the events up till now just all a dream of his? That is, we are all in his dream, we are not real, nothing really happened.

How can you know that you are not just a sentient being crated by an outer-dimensional mind in its dream? You would feel the same if you were real or just materialization of someones thoughts.

4) The resulting explosion from their deaths created the universe. Are we still within the Pearl? Or did the explosion destroy the Pearl? For the Pearl to contain the war between Anu and Tathamet, I would imagine it is a very vast and sturdy Pearl.

The real universe as we know it now, was created by the explosion of a singularity, which was infinitely small and contained all the matter in our universe.

So the pearl could just be a metaphore for a singularity (and was the Big bang) of the Diablo Universe.

9) Why were the worlds create separately by angels and demons with the Worldstone inherently flawed and doomed to die?

I guess because the concepts of good or evil cannot exist by themselves. One defines the other.
Think like this: "If there was only good, how could you know good is good?". And the opposite of course.
Reply Quote
Jondar should have been the ACT 1 boss.

/End
Reply Quote
View profile
who is jondar? anyone else got thoughts on my questions?
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 01:02 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
who is jondar?

Is this a joke?
Jondar is the Necro you and the templar kill in act 1
Edited by tbagala#1621 on 8/27/2013 1:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Some of the backstory lore could just end up being Oblivion-style "machine" propaganda and end up being completely false to cover up an ugly lie.
Edited by Kirishima#1651 on 8/27/2013 1:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Things that bother me:
People saying 'loots' and 'gears' /using the word 'bro' and 'yolo'
lol sorry, not trying to thread jack. you may ignore this post
Reply Quote
Mathematics & physics make sense, fiction and fantasy doesn't.

Don't try to make sense of fantasy worlds, usually such are meant to be entertaining not logical :P
Reply Quote
+1 OP

I'm a noob to Diablo lore so to see these questions and some of the backstory on Anu and Tathamet is really interesting.

Seems like the authors have left out lots of information which is why you have those great questions about the Diablo universe which maybe we can hopefully see have a role in the future of Diablo gaming, or perhaps in some lore books.

p.s. some of you are taking this way too literal! the man is talking Diablo!
Reply Quote
View profile
p.s. some of you are taking this way too literal! the man is talking Diablo!

i am =D and i hope too some of us have answers or if not, speculations. or even better...blizz explains things =(
Reply Quote
Anytime you run into a plot hole in any mythology or fantasy setting, just refer forever to these four immutable words:

A Wizard Did It.
Reply Quote
View profile
why a wizard?
Reply Quote
You dont need a backstory to play a video game. You games for game-play, the reason why this game is not refined to its best with great gameplay mechanics. Lore does not matter in a game, if you want high quality lore its called literature in the form of books, many great books out there, many classics.
Reply Quote
@ OP - quick google search will answer a lot of your questions.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Tathamet

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Anu

Tathamet, upon death, was split into pieces: his 7 heads became the Great Evils, and his body became the foundation of the Burning Hells.

Anu, upon death, was also split into pieces: his eye was the Worldstone, and his spine became the Crystal Arch around which the High Heavens were formed.

There ya go sir :)
Reply Quote
View profile
thx zak haha. actually my questions were formed after reading those. their body parts did become those things as you said. but it was also mentioned that the spirit part of anu went on to a higher plane. what happened to the spirit part of tathamet?
Reply Quote
Mathematics & physics make sense, fiction and fantasy doesn't.

Don't try to make sense of fantasy worlds, usually such are meant to be entertaining not logical :P

I agree with this..... The ret cons spice things up or the're supposed to. The ret con's ruin the continuity of the story if you look to much into it.....
Reply Quote
In Summary;

Anu=Blizzard
Tathamet=Activision

Anu+Tathamet= D3

?
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 08:42 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
hx zak haha. actually my questions were formed after reading those. their body parts did become those things as you said. but it was also mentioned that the spirit part of anu went on to a higher plane. what happened to the spirit part of tathamet?

Likely became the Black Abyss.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Abyss
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]