In the beginning there was nothing. Only a pearl.
In that pearl slept a spirit named Anu.
Within its eternal dream-state, wanting to be pure and perfect, decided to cast off all its bad aspects which became Tathamet
The diamond warrior and the 7 headed dragon fought for countless years within the pearl.
Both were equal in strength and eventually both dealt the killing blow on the other simultaneously.
Anu transcended to a higher realm.
Tathamet's fate after death is not known.
The resulting explosion from their deaths gave birth to Diablo's universe.
All that was left,
The Worldstone at the heart of Pandemonium,
The Crystal Arch,
The Burning Hells.
The Worldstone, also known as the Heart of Creation is not a stone, but a jewel. A jewel that made all the realities in the Diablo universe and all the possibilities that are to come. It is a jewel that allows the wielder to alter reality and create worlds and lives.
Angels and Demons both used it in times past, separately, to create worlds in their nature but the worlds were inherently flawed and was doomed to wither and die. Eventually the Worldstone was used to create Sanctuary, this time in the nature of both Angels and Demons.
The things that bother me...
1) Anu is supposed to be in an ETERNAL dream-state. Are all the events up till now just all a dream of his? That is, we are all in his dream, we are not real, nothing really happened.
2) Why did Anu and Tathamet war? They are essentially one and the same being.
3) We are told Anu has passed on into a place beyond this universe after his death. What happened to Tathamet?
4) The resulting explosion from their deaths created the universe. Are we still within the Pearl? Or did the explosion destroy the Pearl? For the Pearl to contain the war between Anu and Tathamet, I would imagine it is a very vast and sturdy Pearl.
5) Is the realm that Anu passed on to still within the Pearl or beyond the Pearl?
6) Anu wanted to achieve a state of purity and perfection but that resulted in his death. Was this something he did not forsee or something that he planned?
7) It is unlikely Anu did not foresee his death. He has within him the aspect of Wisdom and Fate. Ithareal has boundless sight and he is only a pale shadow of what Anu is.
8) If Anu planned his death, then there is something inherent in dying that allows Anu to transcend to the benevolent realm, a paradise, he is currently at.
9) Why were the worlds create separately by angels and demons with the Worldstone inherently flawed and doomed to die? Was this because worlds that only have the aspects of Anu or aspects of Tathamet incomplete? Is this why the Balance is so important to maintain?
10) Is the reason why Sanctuary is still whole because it was created by both Angels and Demons? Does this show the necessity of the entirety of the good and bad aspects of what was once Anu to be together for a world to survive? Is this why Trag Oul is so determined to maintain the Balance of Light and Dark?
11) Why did Malthael's mood darken upon discovering the birth of Sanctuary? What is Malthael's goal?
12) Did Malthael in his Wisdom desired Heaven's defeat because in Death will they transcend to the realm Anu is at?
13) Did Malthael perhaps know the fate that the angels will lose despite Ithareal never revealing the fate that he saw in his scroll?
14) Did Malthael perhaps became upset that the Nephalem might alter the fate of Heaven's defeat?
15) Malthael tellingly remained silent when Imperious struck Diablo down despite a good chance to seal Diablo away instead of allowing Diablo to respawn. Did Malthael perhaps want Diablo to return and destroy Heaven?
16) Malthael has now taken on the Aspect of Death. But all aspects, be it good or bad, are spawned from either Anu or Tathamet(which is also Anu). Neither of them has the Aspect of Death in them. Where did Malthael get his Aspect of Death? Anu has the 5 virtues which formed the initial 5 Archangels. Tathamet has his 7 evils which formed the 7 Great Evils. Aspect of Death?
17) Did Malthael in his wisdom, as it was for Anu, foresee that death was the way to transcend their current universe into a higher realm/paradise?
18) Where did Trag Oul come from? And all his fellow guardians? In the beginning there was nothing but the Pearl and Anu. After Anu there was only the Crystal Arch and the Burning Hells and Pandemonium/Worldstone.
I have many more thoughts and questions and doubts. But my mind is shutting down. Appreciate any thoughts and speculations and the likes.