Diablo® III

Consider legendaries for transmogrification!

10/11/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Atomsk
The current plan for transmogrification is to allow players both to change the look of their Legendaries, as well as to change the look of their gear to Legendaries they have previously identified.

will this count items id'ed prior to 2.0 or only post 2.0?

Also logged in specifically to ask what the plans are as far as old legendaries (current ones already identified but in our inventory / stash / on character). Will we have to reacquire new unidentified versions if we want to have them unlocked for transmog purposes?
Reply Quote
10/11/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Transmogrifying items is attached to the individual item, and the current plan is to have it bind the item to your account. It's part of the "cost," so to speak. In addition, avoiding the use of vanity slots allows us to reduce player item management, as you don’t need to keep an item around for its appearance. Appearances will be unlocked either by leveling up the Mystic or, in the case of Legendaries, identifying the item. We feel this system is a bit more versatile as a result.

Thanks for the response. I know there are different modes of implementation where vanity slots are concerned, and that in some games vanity slots have items "unlocked" upon attainment, allowing you to use that appearance at any time in the future. Therefore you don't need an item tethered to that slot at all, in fact making it LESS of an item management chore than the current plans...if that is genuinely the reason vanity slots haven't been more seriously considered. All proper gold and/or resource-sinking can still be applied to this model with equivalent efficiency. =)

More importantly though...please don't go the route of account-binding. Make the costs heavier for Legendary/Set pieces, make it more prohibitive for ALL items for all I care, but don't bind them. It honestly defeats the entire purpose of the system and will just end up being a system very few utilize or that you end up hearing so many complaints about that you have to change down the road. We've had a few threads on this already and most seemed to echo that pretty clearly. Binding enchanted items makes sense because it allows for a lot more power on an item relatively inexpensively and without any mechanic like that we'd just trade items around until they were all BiS.

The binding of items purely for the cosmetic enjoyment that you guys seem to want us to have? There is no purpose other than to create an under-utilized system that only prevents future trade between players, trade which will be much more involved and nowhere near as easy as it has been under the AH's. I hope you heed this consideration. Again, thanks for the response. =P

P.S. I say this as a player wearing nothing but gear I found myself. I'm no fan of the AH's (excepting commodities, just makes sense) but I think it is fair to state that a healthy majority of fans of trade would be very disappointed with such an approach. =/
Edited by Alexandros#1268 on 10/12/2013 1:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is there any chance this could be a system of "vanity slots" though, instead of having to actually modify each piece of gear?

Transmogrifying items is attached to the individual item, and the current plan is to have it bind the item to your account. It's part of the "cost," so to speak.

An idea of forcing players to decide to look awesome or benefit from being able to trade a good item if an upgrade is found is not a good idea in my opinion.

However I do see a new gold sink here..Do the bind on account when transmog..but also have an option to remove the bind if you ever need to trade it, for a decent gold fee and some DE's or something..don't force people to make a decision of finance vs fashion..
Edited by Rot#1226 on 10/12/2013 4:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/11/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Bolander
The current plan for transmogrification is to allow players both to change the look of their Legendaries, as well as to change the look of their gear to Legendaries they have previously identified.

Please, don't do this! I like the transmog system but I really think that this can't be applied tin legendaries, because legendaries was suppose to be epic, so the appearance of them is connected to it, if you can transmog rares into legendaries or legendaries in other legendaries they will lost this appearance connected with their stats that grants him the best and most epic kind of loot in game!

Within reasonable limitations. Items that share similar animations can be Transmogrified, such as a 1-handed sword to 1-handed axe (which both have a swinging animation), but you cannot change a javelin (which has an overhead thrusting animation) into either.

Other "don't do this"! Really, you are equipped with an axe, and it looks like a sword it is so nonsense and aesthetically strange, and kind of disappointing when you make a inspection in the equipments of the others, it's like the items that you have are only things with numbers and the kind of it just don't meter, at the end you will be equipping stats, not equipaments. Will be better if swords transmogs in swords, axe in axes, etc.

And what's wrong with making your gear look exactly the way you want it to? It may be classified as a rare to in-game mechanics, but damnit, it's probably pretty legendary to you. People will inspect your character no matter what you're using, so thinking they're just going to start inspecting you because of your equipment's appearance is...meh.

If I want my Monk to look like he's dual wielding Azurewraths, then I should be able to make it look like he's dual wielding Azurewraths. Spectrums? Jagged fist weapons? Hallowed weapons? If I like their look, why can't I make my items look like that? Just because they're "legendaries"?

As someone else posted, if you can not only make your items look like legendaries, but then dye them as well, there'll be near limitless visual customization possibilities. Just imagine being able to make your character look the way you want them to without having to gimp yourself on item stats because a lower level armor or weapon that'd complete that look is a major handicap to your survivability.
Reply Quote
Items that share similar animations can be Transmogrified, such as a 1-handed sword to 1-handed axe (which both have a swinging animation), but you cannot change a javelin (which has an overhead thrusting animation) into either.

Why not? Why is "similar animations" the limit? Why can't you 'mog an item's appearance and it's animation?
Reply Quote
Is there any chance this could be a system of "vanity slots" though, instead of having to actually modify each piece of gear?

Transmogrifying items is attached to the individual item, and the current plan is to have it bind the item to your account. It's part of the "cost," so to speak. In addition, avoiding the use of vanity slots allows us to reduce player item management, as you don’t need to keep an item around for its appearance. Appearances will be unlocked either by leveling up the Mystic or, in the case of Legendaries, identifying the item. We feel this system is a bit more versatile as a result.

Will this cost money? As in, dollars or gold.

Currently, the plan is that it will cost only gold (and using a Legendary appearance naturally costs a bit more). Of course, this is subject to change as development continues.

I am wondering if you will be planning on take the route that was taken by wow to let you transmog an item to look like one in the same slot that is not the same type.

Within reasonable limitations. Items that share similar animations can be Transmogrified, such as a 1-handed sword to 1-handed axe (which both have a swinging animation), but you cannot change a javelin (which has an overhead thrusting animation) into either.

Please tell me you guys are working on making legendaries dye-able for the expansion.
Reply Quote
10/12/2013 08:27 AMPosted by Montinevra
Items that share similar animations can be Transmogrified, such as a 1-handed sword to 1-handed axe (which both have a swinging animation), but you cannot change a javelin (which has an overhead thrusting animation) into either.

Why not? Why is "similar animations" the limit? Why can't you 'mog an item's appearance and it's animation?

I'm actually surprised it matters since the last I checked, all of the skills had their own specific animations that wasn't dependent on the weapon.
Reply Quote
No to transmogrification. This is not wow !
Reply Quote
Appearances will be unlocked either by leveling up the Mystic or, in the case of Legendaries, identifying the item. We feel this system is a bit more versatile as a result.

Could this mean that the Mystic could sell entire "costumes" sets for us to choose from?
I would love that.
Reply Quote
And what's wrong with making your gear look exactly the way you want it to? It may be classified as a rare to in-game mechanics, but damnit, it's probably pretty legendary to you. People will inspect your character no matter what you're using, so thinking they're just going to start inspecting you because of your equipment's appearance is...meh.

If I want my Monk to look like he's dual wielding Azurewraths, then I should be able to make it look like he's dual wielding Azurewraths. Spectrums? Jagged fist weapons? Hallowed weapons? If I like their look, why can't I make my items look like that? Just because they're "legendaries"?

Couldn't agree more! Not to mention at least currently you have situations where an item is incredible - say Skorn for a monk wanting to go two handed - but it is almost impossible to make your gear look like it has a cohesive theme with such a weapon as a monk being able to change it to a Diabo look or even just a two handed sword look of some sort would be incredible!

A question - if we find a legendary item NOW and keep it unidentified until this system is in place...does that let us 'save up' unlocked legendary looks?
Reply Quote
First off: i overall like the way they're handling transmorg.

This point, though, is the one I can't understand.

Weapons are just stat sticks, they don't change our attacks in any way. It's not like a sword can let me hit farther than a fist weapon, and their animations don't impact our attacks at all.

The only chars that use base weapon animation for some of their generator attacks are the barb and the wiz... and nobody cares if the animation you do while you attack is a 2-handed or 1-handed animation, attack speed is all that matter in this game.

In my opinion we should be able to transmorg 1hd weapon to any 1hd weapon and 2hd weapon to any 2hd weapon. Even class specific weapons.
Reply Quote
10/11/2013 07:25 PMPosted by rockon87
Transmogrifying items is attached to the individual item, and the current plan is to have it bind the item to your account.

This is silly. What is the reason behind this? If you don't want the transmog look to carry to another player why not just have it removed once it is traded?

it's too much work for blizzard to add a "...if player account is +=" instance.
Reply Quote
Transmogrifying items is attached to the individual item, and the current plan is to have it bind the item to your account. It's part of the "cost," so to speak.

That's not "cost", that's wasting a potential gold sink.
Even now I absolutely do care about what my chars look like. For example I'd never wear Inna's pants. And I was really excited about the possibility to finally be able to gear the way I want without any tradeoffs.
And now let me just tell you what I'll do if transmog binds on account: I'll continue to gear the way I do now. As functional as possible without looking like a clown.
It was a good idea, but thanks, no transmog for me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/12/2013 07:57 AMPosted by Zoen
Other "don't do this"! Really, you are equipped with an axe, and it looks like a sword it is so nonsense and aesthetically strange, and kind of disappointing when you make a inspection in the equipments of the others, it's like the items that you have are only things with numbers and the kind of it just don't meter, at the end you will be equipping stats, not equipaments. Will be better if swords transmogs in swords, axe in axes, etc.

I can tell you right now most people wont care. If anything most people will have the opposite feeling and would want the restrictions to be as lose as possible.
Reply Quote
Account bound is a bad decision, it is amazing that you keep making bad decisions. It is so obvious that your entire development team has no idea what they are doing anymore.

Remove your WoW developers, and get out of the WoW mindset. It is pathetic to watch you fail constantly.
Reply Quote
With the cost to learning the transmog etc, can we NOT have it as a giant gold sink? Some of us were never AH tycoons and don't have that much, the gems are already bad enough it doesn't make sense to make a marquis :S Can we keep it more in line with reg JC/BS so its more item/mat based?
Reply Quote
Was looking forward for this feature until I read the bind on account part, what a terrible idea, I wont use this feature at all if that is the case.

And hey I dont mind if you make all legendary drops bind on account, but cosmetic features like this should not be used like that.

BAD IDEA!
Reply Quote
and the current plan is to have it bind the item to your account. It's part of the "cost," so to speak.

This will prevent a lot of people from using an awesome new feature - I really think this is a bad idea, especially considering that trading will - for all that we know - be more difficult than at the moment anyway. Please do discuss this some more. I mean we are talking about something cosmetic, like the dyes we have now... Do you think many people would have dyed their gear if that would lead to account-binding it?

Appearances will be unlocked either by leveling up the Mystic or, in the case of Legendaries, identifying the item.

Can we start finding legendaries now & keep them unidentified until RoS launches to unlock them then or will this only work with legendaries found after the launch?
Reply Quote
what about regular blue/yellow items? one of my favorite helms ive found was: Socketed Crown of the Mind. Didn't have great stats but i want the look to be transferred to newer or ilvl 60+ items.

say: i wanted my mempo of twighlight to look like the Socketed Crown of the Mind?
Reply Quote
what about regular blue/yellow items? one of my favorite helms ive found was: Socketed Crown of the Mind. Didn't have great stats but i want the look to be transferred to newer or ilvl 60+ items.

say: i wanted my mempo of twighlight to look like the Socketed Crown of the Mind?

You'd be using a transmogrification of the base item (Crown) to alter the appearance of your Mempo of Twilight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]