Diablo® III

Consider legendaries for transmogrification!

10/11/2013 07:25 PMPosted by rockon87
Transmogrifying items is attached to the individual item, and the current plan is to have it bind the item to your account.

This is silly. What is the reason behind this? If you don't want the transmog look to carry to another player why not just have it removed once it is traded?

Agree, I like this rest, but this is a terrible idea. I swear, Blizzard is so inconsistent in their logic sometimes. You say you don't like to "force" the players into sacrificing fun for functionality. A perfect example was the whole gear swapping thing near launch. You said one of the main reasons you didn't want to allow a gear swap was because players would feel obligated to carry around a MF set, that it was cumbersome, and not fun. I agreed, and thought it was a good call.

Now you're essentially forcing players to choose between not looking like a total @**clown and being able to trade their gear. This really is a slap in the face. We've been asking for a way to customize our characters since before launch, and now the answer is that we can enjoy a little customization so long as we totally devalue the item? That's an unreasonably severe cost for something that's just a quality of life luxury. This is no real choice at all, I'll just have to continue looking horrible and the bulk of the beautiful artistic design that was put into this game will continue to remain unused. I'd ask that you reconsider.
Reply Quote
More BoA items is a good thing.. Will make playing the game more rewarding than playing the tradesystem.
Reply Quote
10/14/2013 12:31 AMPosted by TheLittleOne
More BoA items is a good thing.. Will make playing the game more rewarding than playing the tradesystem.
This is their intent, I guess.

Even though I don't care about the trading as the main reson to play the game, I still want to be able to give some of my old gear to my friends, for their alts or whatever.

It's kind of a dilemma for them, I guess.
Reply Quote
Love what I've read about transmog. Wide open is the best policy. Thanks for this, blizz.
Reply Quote
10/11/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Nevalistis
There may be times you acquire a really awesome looking Legendary, but it doesn't jive well with your build. If you managed to find it, we think you should be able to rock it while you slaughter demons in style.

Nevalistis,

Can you please clarify whether a Legendary Transmog Skin is unlocked when you identify a legendary (specifically including through an item you did NOT find but traded for and acquired while still unidentified) vs only when you both FIND the legendary AND identify it. In other words, does it require finding the item yourself or can you trade for an unidentified item to still count for unlocking the skin?

Also, I assume it follows the rules of the other Artisans and all unlocks and the artisan-level are account-wide and not limited to the character who acquired the skins, but I just wanted to know if devs had a decision on that so far as well :) Thank you!

RoS just keeps sounding better and better btw, devs are killing it! <3
Edited by Godric#1954 on 10/14/2013 6:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Now you're essentially forcing players to choose between not looking like a total @**clown and being able to trade their gear. This really is a slap in the face. We've been asking for a way to customize our characters since before launch, and now the answer is that we can enjoy a little customization so long as we totally devalue the item? That's an unreasonably severe cost for something that's just a quality of life luxury. This is no real choice at all, I'll just have to continue looking horrible and the bulk of the beautiful artistic design that was put into this game will continue to remain unused. I'd ask that you reconsider.

Hmmm I completely understand your logic on this statement, I guess that's a really good point. I suppose at this point, the Devs have proven they have their act together and are making calculated and planned decisions regarding things - not spur of the moment illogical ones. So I imagine the reason they may have done this is because they see a bigger picture then the current model of D3. I think once the AH is removed and Loot 2.0 is out, the entire item game will be so drastically different that this worry about transmog devaluing items may not even be valid anymore. Sometimes it's prudent to change the course of things ahead of time, but other times it is wiser to wait and see how it unfolds before you judge it. I'm hoping Blizz didn't make that decision lightly and considered what kind of cost they were really adding to an item by making it BoA - and I'm hoping they stuck with it because Loot 2.0 and RoS is going to be so awesome it won't matter.

I think BoA is a slightly fair cost for using Transmog. Another solution might be to make it untradeable while Transmogged and have an additional cost to fully remove the Transmog from the item (while not costing anything additional if Transmogging to a different skin - to keep the cost of using Transmog the same) - ex it costs 100k to Transmog it and for each additional Transmog, costs 400k to remove the Transmog for trade.

I dunno, maybe that's a pretty dumb idea but it was just like, a way to allow for the trade of transmogged items.

Blizz - I am curious what the reasoning behind making them BoA permanently is.
Edited by Godric#1954 on 10/14/2013 6:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Currently, the plan is that it will cost only gold (and using a Legendary appearance naturally costs a bit more). Of course, this is subject to change as development continues .

I hope this is only a bad taste joke.
Reply Quote
When we transmog an item and it becomes BOA can we then later un-transmog it and make it non-BOA once again?
Reply Quote
10/14/2013 06:42 AMPosted by Godric
I think once the AH is removed and Loot 2.0 is out, the entire item game will be so drastically different that this worry about transmog devaluing items may not even be valid anymore. Sometimes it's prudent to change the course of things ahead of time, but other times it is wiser to wait and see how it unfolds before you judge it. I'm hoping Blizz didn't make that decision lightly and considered what kind of cost they were really adding to an item by making it BoA - and I'm hoping they stuck with it because Loot 2.0 and RoS is going to be so awesome it won't matter.

Also considering that Smart Drops from Loot 2.0 are automatically account bound and that it's highly likely a majority of people will be using Smart Drop-generated equipment, some people will probably forget about the account-binding transmogrification anyways.

Besides, it's not like the gear we have now will still hold trade value after Reaper of Souls is released. Nobody's going to want to deal in level 60 items when they can have level 70 items, and there'll also be that new Ladder system.

They're wanting to move the emphasis of "trading for gear" to "hunting for gear" so that those with billions of gold aren't the ones who keep dominating the trade market.

I just hope that after the Auction House is taken down, gem crafting costs are drastically reduced, especially for that Marquis gem.
Reply Quote
10/11/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Atomsk
The current plan for transmogrification is to allow players both to change the look of their Legendaries, as well as to change the look of their gear to Legendaries they have previously identified.

will this count items id'ed prior to 2.0 or only post 2.0?

I would still love to see a blue answer to this!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/11/2013 07:15 PMPosted by Wheresmymind
Any changes to dye mechanics? Are they just simply bought from vendors or are changes being made to them?

Transmogrified items can currently be dyed in the same manner regular items are (the dye is applied to the item).

What is the reason behind this? If you don't want the transmog look to carry to another player why not just have it removed once it is traded?

It's a matter of whether or not you wish to utilize the item. If you think something would best benefit you by trading it, it should not be enchanted or transmogrified. If it's instead something you see yourself wearing for a while, you should feel good about customizing it to fit your needs (visually or mechanically via Enchanting). Doing either is meant to be a player decision that carries weight.

10/11/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Revan
TR:DL Will transmog allow to double equip same appearance items as weapons if the legendaries that they were made of are Unique Equipped?

Yes! You can visually be wielding two Skycutters, so long as you have unlocked its appearance.

Why not? Why is "similar animations" the limit? Why can't you 'mog an item's appearance and it's animation?

It would open up a lot of unintended options, such as swinging a bow like a sword. While we could ensure these oddities generally don't occur, we'd prefer a system that's always working.

10/14/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Wheresmymind
will this count items id'ed prior to 2.0 or only post 2.0?

We're still working on some of the finer details, so I don't have an answer to this just yet.
Reply Quote
Thank you for the update Nevalistis!

I look forward to future information on transmogrification. Until then, I will be saving 1 unidentified copy of any legendary I drop! Though I hope in the end it will be unnecessary.
Reply Quote
***What I really do NEED to know is IF the game will remember all the items I owned PRE-expansion or if I will have to possess them once it's released to unlock the appearance?

I'm asking this as to know if I should hold on to the cool-looking legendaries I have now or if I can trade them and it'll still be stored in my account data?

(Will we have to find back all the items we once found or is it already data-stored and ready for the Mystic to play with?)

Also... as with the other NPCs artisans, will the mystic have a quest and a backstory for us to enjoy? As well as achievements please? I'm sure Malthael wouldn't mind..
Reply Quote
Please do not let legendaries to be transmogrified! They are called legendaries for a reason!!
Reply Quote
10/15/2013 08:57 PMPosted by Sirportalez
Please do not let legendaries to be transmogrified! They are called legendaries for a reason!!

I completely disagree.
Reply Quote
10/15/2013 03:22 PMPosted by Nevalistis
so long as you have unlocked its appearance.

What does this mean? Is this a new feature in 'hunting' for appearances to learn or teach the Mystic NPC or something?
Reply Quote
Still wondering... does it require finding the item yourself or can you trade for an unidentified item to still count for unlocking the skin?

This makes a huge difference to the value of items. If you have to find it yourself AND id it to unlock the skin, that retains the value of items as they currently are.

However, if you can unlock the skin through an UNID item you acquired through trade (and afterwards IDed it), then this will drastically change the value of certain items. Any item that is cool looking will suddenly become much much more expensive. Then items that are both cool-looking AND strong will be incredibly expensive.
Edited by Godric#1954 on 10/16/2013 8:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Why not? Why is "similar animations" the limit? Why can't you 'mog an item's appearance and it's animation?

It would open up a lot of unintended options, such as swinging a bow like a sword. While we could ensure these oddities generally don't occur, we'd prefer a system that's always working.

This. The question wasn't really answered. If i decide to mog a sword to look like a spear, why wouldn't it "swing" like a spear instead like a sword? Obvious things like 'moggin a ranged wep to look like a melee wep shouldn't work, but 'moggin a melee to look like any other melee shouldn't really be a problem..
Reply Quote

This. The question wasn't really answered. If i decide to mog a sword to look like a spear, why wouldn't it "swing" like a spear instead like a sword? Obvious things like 'moggin a ranged wep to look like a melee wep shouldn't work, but 'moggin a melee to look like any other melee shouldn't really be a problem..

The reason is most likely to be due to combat mechanics that give importance to hit speed. I would bet that as it stands, hit speed and animations are tied to the individual weapon types, rendering your spear with a different attack speed than the sword. They could fix that but it might just use up more of the artists' and coders' time than they'd like to spare for something that isn't the most important at the end of the day. I don't really have an issue with it, but I suppose you could argue for it in the spirit of ultimate freedom or something. =P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]