Diablo® III

exp runs with or without 5 NV?

anyone have any stats on this yet for FOM runs? I've heard other classes say it's equal but I think a majority of people still get 5 NV.

if it's equal i'd say mine as well get stacks to get some DE
Reply Quote
Heres a crazy idea, open your character panel and hit details, scroll down and look at bonus exp percent, get 5 stacks and look again.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
FoM takes me ~5 minutes to clear.
5 stacks of NV takes me ~5 minutes to get.

5 stacks of NV therefore increases my run time by 100% and increases my xp gained by 75%.

Assuming I get little to no xp while getting stacks (close to accurate) it is not worthwhile to get 5 stacks of NV before FoM.

Alternatively, if Decaying Crypt spawns, my run is now ~10 minutes long and the NV starts to look a bit better.

I have found that the max xp/hr comes from hitting Warrior's rest -> CotA -> Crypts WP -> FoM -> Decaying.
Ideally, there will be at least 1 elite in the woods between WR and CotA and, even more ideally, there is 1 elite in the tiny map outside the crypts WP before FoM.

The reason for this:
The elites in WR and CotA are static so you don't lose time looking for them AND the elite in CotA is surrounded by lovely xp-giving monsters who just LOVE to have EP:SS put on them for extreme value.

My best time for this is 4 stacks in 2.5 minutes with extreme EP:SS luck.

I do not think 5 stacks is ever worth it though ... finding all those elites is FAR too hard and there are too few good zones to make a "long" run worth it.
Reply Quote
anyone have any stats on this yet for FOM runs? I've heard other classes say it's equal but I think a majority of people still get 5 NV.

if it's equal i'd say mine as well get stacks to get some DE

you dont need NV to get DE.
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Ghost
Heres a crazy idea, open your character panel and hit details, scroll down and look at bonus exp percent, get 5 stacks and look again.

I believe the question is whether the time getting the 5 stacks prior to FoM is worth is, given that areas that are high in elites (Festering Woods) are generally crap for actual XP/minute when compared to FoM.

Anyway, my (completely unscientific) experimentation seems to suggest that it's a mistake to not run the Weeping Hollow for XP. I understand that it sucks for items compared to FoM, given the low drop rates of the enemies there, but I seem to get XP at a very fast rate there. Because my runs are going to be longer anyway, I always include Woods and Leorics to get the NV up beforehand.

Now, I tend to run on MP-4 to MP-6, and usually it's been without a Ruby or Hellfire ring. The higher MP you run (and more XP boosting gear you run) the less it's worth it to get the NV from an XP/minute standpoint.

So you just have to see what works for you. Although personally, I can't stand to run just FoM and will usually clear out far more areas than just those few high-XP ones. I usually clear out everything from Leoric's through the butcher, the cemetery and crypts, and sometimes some of the Cathedral or Highlands as well.

EDIT: Saw Druin posted. Didn't read it yet, but his post probably contains better numbers than my anecdotal, feel-y way of determining XP rates.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 9/3/2013 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ Druin

thanks I was actually hoping you would respond because I figured you , fitz, or kim would have done this already :)

but very interesting data though that there is a break point and even that is a hit or miss.

@gusterfan
ya i know, what i meant was i mine as well look for elites to get NV and DE. not get 5 NV to get DEs
Reply Quote
my bad op =)... I agree.
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Druin
5 stacks of NV therefore increases my run time by 100% and increases my xp gained by 75%.

Of MP level bonus, NV, Strength in numbers, and +%XP gear, I had thought that only the new Strength in Numbers bonus was multiplicative, with all the others being added. Druin is not specifically contradicting my understanding here, but the context seems to imply I've got this wrong.

Can someone confirm how they all combine for me? Just curious.
Reply Quote
Of MP level bonus, NV, Strength in numbers, and +%XP gear, I had thought that only the new Strength in Numbers bonus was multiplicative, with all the others being added. Druin is not specifically contradicting my understanding here, but the context seems to imply I've got this wrong.

Can someone confirm how they all combine for me? Just curious.

Bonus experience % adds to MP. NV, Strength in Numbers and Shrine add together before multiplying. For paragon levels integer bonus experience is negligible.

Anyway, my (completely unscientific) experimentation seems to suggest that it's a mistake to not run the Weeping Hollow for XP. I understand that it sucks for items compared to FoM, given the low drop rates of the enemies there, but I seem to get XP at a very fast rate there. Because my runs are going to be longer anyway, I always include Woods and Leorics to get the NV up beforehand.

The Weeping Hollow is horrible for experience.
Reply Quote
No NV versus NV for me is no contest in FoM with mid-range gear. NV wins hands down. I have not tested however what Druin is currently testing, which is just hitting CotA and WR and hoping you find an E on the way while not clearing the rest.

I will test it now!
Reply Quote
Bonus experience % adds to MP. NV, Strength in Numbers and Shrine add together before multiplying. For paragon levels integer bonus experience is negligible.

Thanks for that!

09/03/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Kaho

Nuh-uh! I get 200+ Kill streaks there. That's tons of extra experience over time.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
09/03/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Kaho

I agree. I tested several variations that incorporated Weeping and couldn't make it worth it.
Reply Quote
Weeping is much the same as Scavenger Den. While both areas look good and seem to have a lot of mobs, they're actually not that great for xp. Just doing Festering->Crypts WP->FoM is the best A1 route.

I still love Scav den though. Don't know why :-)
Reply Quote

Nuh-uh! I get 200+ Kill streaks there. That's tons of extra experience over time.

Though that maybe true that time you spent killing there could be used elsewhere to earn more exp...

the monsters just move to slow in such a open area so the density is not great. FOM is great cause the monsters move faster. decaying crpyt is great cause it's a narrow hallway with same density if not more of weeping. for archons where density doesn't matter i think it's a great spot.
Reply Quote
@ Druin

have you perfected act 2 farming route yet? also what about act 3? or is act 3 just crappy? I never hear people farming act 3. is act 3 good for anything?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
@ Druin

have you perfected act 2 farming route yet? also what about act 3? or is act 3 just crappy? I never hear people farming act 3. is act 3 good for anything?

From what I can tell, Act2 is a bit trashy compared to Act1 and, due to scorpion XP nerfs and monster-density changes, Act3 is trashy flat-out.

I do not want to fight harder mob types with less density for the same xp per kill ... thanks anyways Act3! :D
Reply Quote
Though that maybe true that time you spent killing there could be used elsewhere to earn more exp...

the monsters just move to slow in such a open area so the density is not great. FOM is great cause the monsters move faster. decaying crpyt is great cause it's a narrow hallway with same density if not more of weeping. for archons where density doesn't matter i think it's a great spot.

I don't think you read my post correctly. I believe I mentioned kill streaks. 200+ baby! 200+ ! At some point those kill streaks have to go exponential in reward. And when I get finally do get there: BAM! Tons of experience. I'm sticking with my argument: Nuh-uh!
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Druin
I have found that the max xp/hr comes from hitting Warrior's rest -> CotA -> Crypts WP -> FoM -> Decaying.

I'm doing the WR/CotA -> Fields -> Decaying as well. I don't usually take the Crypt WP though.

Something I'm more curious about then the route itself is HOW to run DC, as in if passes are worth it over certain mob densities to get more spawns rather then just killing them. Also curious on thoughts about how clear to clear FoM. Like when doing strictly FoM runs, I do very unfinished runs, but at 4-5 stacks, it could very well be possible to make sure the runs are "clean".

Also, curious as to what your thoughts are on killing certain mobs. Like the bats greatly increase kills/hour, but absolutely suck for exp. Like I can run in lost mines and get like 500 kill massacre on bats and get total crap exp for it, lol. So in FoM, is it even worth trying to kill them for the small exp they give, or just run past them?
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
09/03/2013 01:59 PMPosted by TianZi
I'm doing the WR/CotA -> Fields -> Decaying as well. I don't usually take the Crypt WP though.

I take Crypt WP for the possible elite AND the static-start spot for FoM.
I feel the static-start outweighs the VERY minor loss in time to travel.

Something I'm more curious about then the route itself is HOW to run DC

Me too! :P

I would love to actually chat with you about this because I think it will need some talking over ... The design of DC is also semi-static so there is a worthwhile pathing discussion to have as well.

Like when doing strictly FoM runs, I do very unfinished runs, but at 4-5 stacks, it could very well be possible to make sure the runs are "clean".

I have a conditional pathing system (mostly stolen from Chaz and edited to incorporate DC's existence) that leads to ~95% clear FoM clears. I would be happy to show you and I will draw maps when I make a guide on the subject. Either-or! :D

Also, curious as to what your thoughts are on killing certain mobs. Like the bats greatly increase kills/hour, but absolutely suck for exp. Like I can run in lost mines and get like 500 kill massacre on bats and get total crap exp for it, lol. So in FoM, is it even worth trying to kill them for the small exp they give, or just run past them?

I traditionally run past bats and frogs but I am starting to re-think this decision. I just can't tell if the time-to-kill is low enough to justify it.

I would obviously prefer they were goats but I can kill them without even dropping a bell. Just EP EP CW run away.

For now, I think I will pass by normal-sized packs and continue to kill them when they come in groups of 4+ groups at once.
Reply Quote
@Tianzi

what MP do you run with your 42k hp and 190k dps? my stats are pretty much same for Druin TR build
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]