Diablo® III

Use this 5b gold or I will!

People who said they wanted to be big brothers haven't checked in/showed prolonged interest or haven't added me in game. I'm not going to track you down for this volunteer-y position.

So if you still want to help out let me know and I'll hook you up with the gold.

If not, I'll spend the rest of it how I see fit with some input from some people I trust. So this is your last call to get it and do with as we planned! Got 3b of the 4b allotted left.

Since Team Monk won the 5 kingdoms challenge one of our rewards was 6 billion gold for our community. I threw out a couple ideas of how to allot the money, so I need your help!

Ninja edit I think there are also 4 monk sets to give away of various budgets. I think at least 1 person from each of the 4 kingdoms had a monk. Also, would you guys like to see higher budget help, or more ~lower budget help?

Here was my idea from a previous thread.

With the remaining money(6bil) do the following:

15 mid tier sets (300m each) (4.5b)

And with the remaining money ask people to apply for one gear slot that they could really use an upgrade in (to a max of 100m? 150m?): Like, someone has all decent gear, but they can't afford that 80m MH wep. They don't need a whole set, but one item, and could assign someone that cash and thread and do it on a case by case basis as they see fit.

Overall we'd be giving away 16 pre-made (4 of which I think are monks of various tier) sets of various classes, 15 monk sets, and helping out X amount of monks with single slot issues.

For the premade sets:

Idea 1: Big brothers.

A couple monks from the community would be given the money and a monk or 2 to mentor/help them build a brand new custom set for their monk and explain gear choices/educate that person if they need it. This way the job would be split up to a more manageable.

Idea 2: Builder brothers competition
An X number of people enter the competition. I give them each 300m gold and over the course of 3-5 days we see which person comes up with the most well rounded set with the highest dps and EHP (with passives) unbuffed. Then we give those sets away to needy monks. This would be a friendly competition, not cloaked in secrecy and the only thing you will win is recognition as the best gold spender. We could also build like x TR sets, x cookie cutter sets, and x ZDPS sets or something to keep it interesting.

For the single slot upgrades (what should the budget be per item. I've alotted 1.5 bil for this so if we say 100m we could help at least 15 people)

Idea 1: Advice thread
People basically come in the thread and say one of two things. 1: "My XXXXX sucks, how could I best replace this?" or 2: "What do you think is the biggest upgrade for me right now?" Then they could pair up with a knowledgeable monk and they can help them buy a replacement. We could also donate some cash if people have like 200 DEs and no cash to craft. People might abuse though idk

Idea 2: I don't have one yet lol

Let me know what you think about this. (after I wrote Idea 2 for the premade sets, I really like that idea. Give me feedback on only these ideas. DONT ASK FOR GEAR IN THIS THREAD PLEASE!

DONT ASK FOR GEAR IN THIS THREAD PLEASE!

I want to try to get this going asap so people can get set up!

Official Big Brothers
- Alphashift14
- Spear-Chucker
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 9/9/2013 8:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So, where do I ask for gear? Help meeeeeeeeeee
Reply Quote
I really need a mentor to teach me about gear and to help me build a custom set. With my current one I'm at 84k DPS and around 400k EHP and I can farm consistently up to MP 8, but that's where I start getting slaughtered by elite packs. I would like to be able to consistently farm MP 9 and MP 10.
Reply Quote
We could also use some random challenges to give away stuff as well. Say by 4pm PST on a set day whoever posts a vid of the longest kill streak, most in one hit, most DE in 5min, most Xp in 5min,....on say MP1.

Stuff of that nature can be quick and easy to judge and run. We could give away low-mid tier gear sets for it so that high tier players or flippers won't be really interested and crash the party.
Reply Quote
We could also use some random challenges to give away stuff as well. Say by 4pm PST on a set day whoever posts a vid of the longest kill streak, most in one hit, most DE in 5min, most Xp in 5min,....on say MP1.

Stuff of that nature can be quick and easy to judge and run. We could give away low-mid tier gear sets for it so that high tier players or flippers won't be really interested and crash the party.

Can I join? :-)
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 07:51 PMPosted by jco310
So, where do I ask for gear? Help meeeeeeeeeee

^
Reply Quote
I might be being greedy, but I think there should be some at least some-what higher end upgrades. Since most active forum members aren't very low end.

But there should also be gear for low end monks, I think a big brother Idea is smart, it will pretty much make sure they are dedicated, and it will teach them how to stay on top of their game
Reply Quote
With people returning in flocks because of expansion info, I think an "upgrade my monk" would be great. People (myself included) would love to play their monks differently than how it had been previously, but just can't afford to gear. I know I dumped all the gold I had on my wizard and dont care for it.
Reply Quote
View profile
I think part of the 6b should be saved for re-gearing the team members after the expansion. A wondrous Monk-like reward for all their hard work.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Idea 2: Builder brothers competition
An X number of people enter the competition. I give them each 300m gold and over the course of 3-5 days we see which person comes up with the most well rounded set with the highest dps and EHP (with passives) unbuffed. Then we give those sets away to needy monks. This would be a friendly competition, not cloaked in secrecy and the only thing you will win is recognition as the best gold spender. We could also build like x TR sets, x cookie cutter sets, and x ZDPS sets or something to keep it interesting.

I like this as this could be a fun way to spend time and yet help out the commnity but..

A couple monks from the community would be given the money and a monk or 2 to mentor/help them build a brand new custom set for their monk and explain gear choices/educate that person if they need it. This way the job would be split up to a more manageable.

The big brothers idea actually goes a long way. I think this is what happened to me with silver32. He kept on teaching me until I understood how the gearing system works and I am trying to pay it forward.
Reply Quote
Hey, I am more than willing to help out some people, more monks means less barbs! I think I am kind of a value to this community, Ask captaincarl, I know what I'm doing :)
I am also on a lot and willing to help out and explain to others what is needed and what to aim for! The idea of Big Brother is great, I know the TR sets, CC sets and I do not know zdps sets so thats not me haha, but anyway, I will keep this page open and hope to hear from you!
Reply Quote
Gem upgrades for people. They're never not useful and they're cheap enough for you to help a lot of people but expensive enough to be a barrier for a fair few people as well.

Woe.

To be blunt, this is a horrible idea. At this point we would just be shelling out gold to people for the absolute smallest upgrades to their character. I wouldn't mind helping someone upgrade their weapon gems maybe, but this isn't just going to be a gem bank.

@the people who want to see higher tier sets, what did you have in mind? All in all I think my own monk set for dual wield (217k dps) cost like 300 or 400m and can do mp10. The dps isn't amazing, but doable.

I'm trying to help the most people possible, and if it seems like there aren't enough people out there (15) who need a 300m set we could do a 500m set or something like that. The only thing is, is that we could only do 1 or 2 at most before leaving my comfort zone of spending the gold on too few people.

Edit: If we go with the big brother idea (if you vote for it or whatever) and you want to be a big brother, you can also volunteer for that so we can get an idea of how many we potentially have.

Continue with feedback please! If I don't get enough feedback it will be hard to know what to do or how to make everyone happy :D
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 8/31/2013 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay I am going to throw out an idea and its probably not going to be very popular but hear me out.

Take the money and use it to buy weapons (insert any item just picked weapons as its something all can use) Say spend 500m max on each. Take the pile and make a huge list of names and random number them off and be done with this. Walk away as fast as you can and dont look back.

6b and they way its spent is gonna cause issues no matter what you do. This is a great community and I could very easily see issues arising from how the money is spent. I know how people can act and complain and such and I see it now.
This one got more than me. Why didnt I get this. etc etc.

So my suggestion is find a way to spend it and make it quick. Do the best you can and then walk away and put it behind you. I know you wanna do something great and help the masses but to be honest I like things here the way they are now and dont wanna see it change over some stupid gold
Reply Quote
At least your gold value has almost doubled :P
Reply Quote
Yeah don't make it too complicated. People see "free" and they flock like rabid dogs. Set building would be nice for lower tier monks. But I think a raffle would be fair considering mid tier to even upper tier players could use a 100 mill for a real nice AH snipe.
Reply Quote

Category: Longest time idling in town without Kamel popping in.

Seriously though, I am glad to hear the Monks won this. I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, but I do think that smaller budget sets, while serving more people, wouldn't necessarily be the best way to do it. Remember between Christmas and early spring? There were a ton of budget gear seats being put together and given away. Somewhere along the way people stopped wanting the sets, were already better geared, only wanted certain pieces of each set, or were manipulating the system by trying to look "poor and in need" and then reselling the whole shebang and re-equipping with their normal great gear.

We've got a lot of smart people in this forum. I am confident someone will come up with a great idea for the blank spot :) A raffle sounds good and fair, I think my preference would lay with that method, but it may hold some hidden downside as well. If I had to pick from the above it would be:
Reply Quote
Yea raffle is good idea.

But if you want it fun and rewarding,
How about most goblin kill in one act.
You can choose 1 , 2 , 3 or 4 hehe
Reply Quote
08/31/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Deanman
Yeah don't make it too complicated. People see "free" and they flock like rabid dogs. Set building would be nice for lower tier monks.

I had written up a long post, and it got eaten up somehow so here goes again. I am in favour of some kind of a set-building competition, but not in favour of any kind of a giveaway because of how greed plays into the whole thing. To circumvent that, we can conduct the "giveaway" in the form of a charity auction, vis-a-vis the set that Silver32 built and WomanAtPlay won after paying some amount of $$$ to St Jude Children's Hospital. This way, it can do the following:
(1) keep the masses entertained via competition
(2) inflate egos of the set-builders
(3) charities get money they need
(4) players get sets they want

08/31/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Fitz
I would def recommend Druin, Piffle, Nameless etc. but it seems they spend very little time here these days.

And thanks for the honorable mention. It's true... I haven't been around lately and I can't see myself being around much in the foreseeable future, as I have lots of RL responsibilities to tend to. I'll be around though. Lurking in the shadows. Ninja style.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]