Diablo® III

Use this 5b gold or I will!

Sure I like the idea. I'll co-sign.

Also I call dibs on a Barb challenge set :)
Reply Quote
+1 to Big Brother idea.
Reply Quote
@Tranquility

I have one of the Barb sets. Get at me sometime and you can see if it's the one you would like to have.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
09/01/2013 06:22 PMPosted by Amiar
What I'm leaning towards now is doing the gear challenge with 8 500m sets and then having 2b to buy people single slot items or whatever. I think 500m is a good number to get a viable mp10 gear set that is not super amazing, but not arduous at the same time.

500m is definitely a good budget for a capable mp10 set

09/02/2013 12:13 AMPosted by QHTran
but how long will it take you though? ;)

Usually takes a day if the items are good with reasonable prices on the ah. It takes 3 days if there's no such luck. =L

09/02/2013 01:57 AMPosted by Relentless
I have one of the Barb sets. Get at me sometime and you can see if it's the one you would like to have.

Can I call second dibs if Tranquility is not interested? :))
Edited by AlphaShift14#1155 on 9/2/2013 6:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So I'm going to say that semi tentatively we are going to move forward with the 8 sets of 500m and 2b for odds and ends. If anyone has a huge problem with this let us know now.

Now we need to figure out the following:

Who is going to build the sets and what specs are we going to do? I'd like to see at least 2 cookie and 2 TR sets, maybe more, because I feel like newer people might struggle with a trigen or nirvana playstyle (not that the gear for those is that much different than cookie cutter)

If you want to build a set, let me know, and then let me know which playstyle you want to build for. I'll try and keep a list updated in the OP, then hopefully we can pass out the gold at that point.

----Also, I wanted to get my hands on one of those barb sets too! So, relentless, I might wanna grab one of those from you :)
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 9/2/2013 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
how do i join? i'm playing this game for just 3days hehehe a newbie trying to join and win :((
Reply Quote
Here's my final 2 cents on premade sets: They don't teach *#@%!@*!.

Let the mentors pick their grasshoppers, teach them, and help them shop (even have the student find the pieces, run it by the mentor for clarification, agreement and purchase, so the money isn't just going out there without some guidance). Shopping for them and making premade sets doesn't teach most people how to do it. Saying "I bought these and looked for these stats and prices to do it" isn't the same as hands on learning.

I'm really against just buying the gear and giving it away like that.

Also, why did you ask for people's ideas Amiar? Clearly yours are the best, you have logically shot every other thought train down, and in the end are going with your two ideas and just rearranged how the money will be spent within them.
Reply Quote
I'm going to preface everything I say in this post with 2 things: 1) I am not an amazing Monk player, nor do I wish to win this as I like working for my own things and 2) I have not and probably will not maintain an active posting regiment with the Monk forums. I like to learn information and people helping me is about the largest extent I've done here. Now to the bulk.

@scrapz

Idea 1: Thanks for posting all the pros for each aspect of the monk community. All we would have to do then is find people that are interested in those gear sets so we don't build them in vain. How well could this be a gear building competition if there are so many different specs being built for? How exactly would this work?

Idea 2: I'm not as sure about this idea. I feel like if team monk used all the cash on non-monk items that would be showing the community that monks aren't as awesome as they really are. I was of a mind that we could give away the pre-made sets in this fashion so some of our monks could try out other classes and even bounce the gear around to others if they didn't really like it.

I still firmly believe that we should use most of the 6b on monk stuff for monks.

@giving things away randomly. I still don't think this solves the problem with people being upset that they didn't win. I'm sure they could still claim it was rigged or someone was playing favorites or that person A didn't need it as much as person B and RNG isn't a fair way to do it. I think the most we can hope for from the community is that they are happy for whoever wins what's given away.

People will be bitter if they didn't win because they're people. A good % won't bother being angry because they realize that in whatever way it was given out was deemed fair or just, but there will ALWAYS be people who are angry. It's a fact of nature. As for building sets, I have no actual knowledge aside from my limited AH experience and my lurking to find out how to gear, what to look for, etc.

Here's my final 2 cents on premade sets: They don't teach *#@%!@*!.

Let the mentors pick their grasshoppers, teach them, and help them shop (even have the student find the pieces, run it by the mentor for clarification, agreement and purchase, so the money isn't just going out there without some guidance). Shopping for them and making premade sets doesn't teach most people how to do it. Saying "I bought these and looked for these stats and prices to do it" isn't the same as hands on learning.

I'm really against just buying the gear and giving it away like that.

Also, why did you ask for people's ideas Amiar? Clearly yours are the best, you have logically shot every other thought train down, and in the end are going with your two ideas and just rearranged how the money will be spent within them.

I actually find this - the lack of knowledge a pre-built set offers - to be quite accurate. Believe me, I would LOVE to have a full set that does MP10 with little problems, but if I don't understand WHY it's built the way it is, then I effectively am just repeating what the set has to offer, but in higher numbers. Teaching someone HOW to shop, WHAT to shop for and WHY they're shopping for it may yield a greater instructional knowledge upon the so-called "newbies"; however, we can all agree this will take much more time. So if you decide to go with the "Big Brother" idea to teach people about the class, and potentially something about the game, I would highly suggest from a moderate players' viewpoint that you teach people the above mentioned gearing attributes.

I, myself, am always looking forward to more and better information regarding the game(s) I play, how I play them, why I'm playing it the way I do, etc. to further my understanding of the game and/or mechanics of the class(es) so that I may one day forward this knowledge to someone who is less fortunate than I. So if anything is gleamed from this post, I hope that the Big Brother (thing) goes into effect and people get taught how, what and why they're doing what they're doing so we can further increase the level of mastery among those who care.

With that, I wish you all good luck and God's speed on determining - precisely - what you will do and how it will be done. And remember, I'll always be lurking.

Always.
Reply Quote
So, the OP has decided to go with his ideas? Shocker.

OP

Nice of you to ignore input from others who have much much more experience than you with helping the community. I'm beyond certain that Scrapz could handle this entire disbursement of gold and items far better than you based on his doing it dozens of times in the past.

@Druin

Since you were nominated to be the monk team lead, lead this disbursement of gold and gear.
Reply Quote
OP

Nice of you to ignore input from others who have much much more experience than you with helping the community. I'm beyond certain that Scrapz could handle this entire disbursement of gold and items far better than you based on his doing it dozens of times in the past.

would u still stand by this statement if druin came out and said he supports whatever the op does?
im not saying this is what druin would do, but druins words do carry alot of weight, which does beg the question where is druin?
Reply Quote
OP

would u still stand by this statement if druin came out and said he supports whatever the op does?
im not saying this is what druin would do, but druins words do carry alot of weight, which does beg the question where is druin?

Druin is here, he's posted, just recently in fact.

If Druin supported the OP... I still wouldn't agree with pre-made sets, or like that the OP has shot down every single hint of an idea that isn't his own.

I don't speak for Jco though, I just wanted to answer from my POV.
Reply Quote
OP

OP

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9792720621
Reply Quote
can I has your gears?

p.s. for the record, lol XD
Reply Quote
Druin was nominated by the community, for better or worse, to be the representative on this challenge and, thereby, disbursing of rewards. Whether I agree with how Druin does this or not is immaterial to the fact he was the team lead. If the team members wish to speak for Druin, by all means continue and do so.
Reply Quote
09/02/2013 11:23 AMPosted by jco310
Druin was nominated by the community, for better or worse, to be the representative on this challenge and, thereby, disbursing of rewards. Whether I agree with how Druin does this or not is immaterial to the fact he was the team lead. If the team members wish to speak for Druin, by all means continue and do so.

+1
This is what I have been discussing with Bumbly. And if the team lead is delegating, I'd like to see that said somewhere by the man himself.
Reply Quote
(>^^)>
Reply Quote
I agree with some people that said that giving away per-made sets won't do anything. I am still a newbie monk and I would love to have like a mentor teach me and guide me through the steps of how to build and use the market place, while figuring out the good prices and other stuff. This way the apprentice or the monk newbie will learn and maybe pass down the teaching from the mentor onto someone else.
Reply Quote

09/02/2013 11:28 AMPosted by Sinafae
This is what I have been discussing with Bumbly. And if the team lead is delegating, I'd like to see that said somewhere by the man himself.

when he went on vacation he delegated to amiar i think,
but as hes back shouldnt he take on the burden again?

i dont enjoy being the wiz team lead, but im still carryin that workload as best i can
Reply Quote

i dont enjoy being the wiz team lead, but im still carryin that workload as best i can

K, I missed that, but I wasn't following closely... and was it indefinite and including this part?
Reply Quote
09/02/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Sinafae
and was it indefinite and including this part?

i dont remember tbh
it was before druin left for montana, im not sure if he delegated or asked the monk participants to choose a leader amongst themselves.

i wish yall luck, and can only say this it appears a lot of folks dont agree with amiar however he has undertaken the responsibility that druin appears to be shirking
its always lonely at the top, and sometimes interim leaders make unpopular decisions
dont let it colour ur friendships as this is essentially free gold that the monk community did not have before, so no matter if its spent efficiently or not at least it is helping the monk community

edit: the above post is the post of the interim/semi-permanent lead of team wiz who also sorta follows the monk community and i apologize if any of my views are unpopular im just presenting the facts as i see em
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 9/2/2013 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]