Diablo® III

Use this 5b gold or I will!

i would like to volunteer to be mentored by a monk big brother. i dont necessarily need to win gold for sets/items (though it would probably help) i guess i would be termed an intermediate monk in that i sort of know what i am doing but not nearly enough to do MP 10 which is what i want to do at some point. i rely heavily on OWE i have very low hp but i rarely die on MP 5 and 6 farms that i have been doing, shrug i just saw this thread and thought this is a cool idea and i dont really know anyone to get advice from.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It seems like there are still some things up in the air. There are some people who want us to help make some lower tier sets, mid and high tier sets. Lets try to agree and really nail down a budget. So far I'm thinking the following based on replies. I don't want you guys to tell me what you think it should be, but lets all work with one budget. Instead tell me something like, move .5b from tier 1 to teir 2 etc. etc.

1. 1.2b (300m x 4 sets) Spend on NEW monks (like sub 80k dps)
2. 2.5b (500m x 5 sets)Spend on intermediate monks (80-150k dps)
3. 1b (1b x 1) Spend on High level monks (150k+ dps)
4. 1.3b Spend on odds and ends (helping people upgrade just one or 2 slots)

play with these numbers and let me know what you think. Or if you think this is all bollocks lemme know :)
Reply Quote
Combine 3 and 4 and I'll bite :)
Reply Quote
If people are interested in HC or s/b, I'm happy to help, as always. That being said, HC is very different and it'll take awhile to get acclimated. But for those tired of SC, it can't be beat.
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 08:12 PMPosted by jco310
If people are interested in HC or s/b, I'm happy to help, as always. That being said, HC is very different and it'll take awhile to get acclimated. But for those tired of SC, it can't be beat.

I, myself, was actually curious how to get started and do a self-found HC Monk. I was considering getting into it, mostly because I really, REALLY hate the SC AH and I don't want to have to deal with another, albeit much more steady, auction house. I could use any tips or pointers you could possibly think of, things like: minimum defensive requirements for mp1 and incrementally i.e. mp 3, mp 5, mp 7, mp 8-10. Not sure if the defensive requirements scale linearly or multiplicative or exponentially. If you want to take it to another thread and/or PM's/in-game help, I'm fine with either. And I appreciate the help in advance, I know sometimes people don't get recognized for what they do, so I tend to thank you at every step :).
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Amiar

If a monk is already 120-150k dps, then a 500m gear set is probably not much an upgrade.
Here is the monk set we built for the challenge (with lots of hidden dammage modifiers). Wasn't this about ~800m?
http://d3up.com/b/901139/shaolin-challenge

Players in this range may be better served by getting 1 item upgrade.
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 09:01 PMPosted by Tranquility

If a monk is already 120-150k dps, then a 500m gear set is probably not much an upgrade.
Here is the monk set we built for the challenge (with lots of hidden dammage modifiers). Wasn't this about ~800m?
http://d3up.com/b/901139/shaolin-challenge

Players in this range may be better served by getting 1 item upgrade.

I think if we used an EF or a WKL we could bring up someone with 150k dps (and remember, they might have crap EHP) to around 200k dps. I think a 50k jump is pretty substantial, but it might be better to check it out on a case by case basis. Someone might have a really good innas chest but a crappy boot or something.

Also, if we could refrain from getting off topic with talking about hardcore and any people asking for gear etc. that would be helpful to keep the discussion going!
Reply Quote
@Amair

As I've offered to help, albeit in HC or s/b, if perhaps somebody who wins a gearset wants to try either, they can ask me. If you find this to somehow derail the thread, I fail to see it.
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Sinafae

Agreed!

-----
For Additional Big Brothers -
Post #12 from Ghost#1581:
Is he/she/it missing recommendations before being qualified as one?

Post #50 from Scrapz#1142:
From what I read, I took it as him volunteering himself to become a Big Brother. At the very least, he'll be there for a PvP set.

- You can also add jco310 to that list for S&B or HC. (If a winner from any of the categories wanted to start a HC monk, it'd be pretty easy to trade SC to HC gold and just hand them over to jco to mentor. Hell, I have some HC gold I can trade with you.)

-----
@Tranquility: I was thinking that 500m is the budget for a single monk. Then, the Big Brothers will use their judgments to decide how to upgrade the gear with that given amount.
Reply Quote
@Tranquility: I was thinking that 500m is the budget for a single monk. Then, the Big Brothers will use their judgments to decide how to upgrade the gear with that given amount.

That's a good idea, don't know why I didn't really think about it that way. These don't have to be full sets in any case.

BTW. Ran across this guy today in game. We played for a while on MP1.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JOEYMARTIN-1815/hero/27269363
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Sinafae
Reply Quote
what can i do to increase my dps more? i need help i want to be able to run mp10 smoothly
Reply Quote
@Amair

As I've offered to help, albeit in HC or s/b, if perhaps somebody who wins a gearset wants to try either, they can ask me. If you find this to somehow derail the thread, I fail to see it.

Sorry, I missed the thing about s/b, but as for HC, since this money isn't really for that, I want to keep the discussion away from that, because it could lead to some off topic posts, and we already have a couple of OT posts strewn around too.

I'd love to see you help build a s/b monk!

@bigerick, this isn't the thread to discuss this, buddy! Check the forums for other threads!
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 9/4/2013 12:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@amiar

haha sorry i had a few threads open and i thought i posted in a different one. sorry!
Reply Quote
It's all good :)

On another note, I think I'm realizing that my own monk's gear kind of sucks, especially a non-EF or non-WKL offhand -_- having to use my archon wizard weapon lol

Edit: Yup, as paragon 2 (my 2nd monk) I have 163k dps and 440k ehp -_-
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 9/4/2013 1:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Amiar,

as mentioned by tran or someone else, the money doesnt have to be for a full set but it could be given to the big brother(s) to help out by upgrading their current gear. If they have decent pants and a decent weapon or two then the mentor can focus on the rest etc, etc

Also that JoeyMartin guy apparently needs help REALLY BAD. Did he find those awful legendaries or buy them and if he bought them please tell me he did it cheap. I'm not an expert and I'm still struggling, (more on actual gameply and misclicks and pub group party members leaving me when I'm CS ZDS out in the !@#$ing cold), but I think that I read enough forums and have found my decent cheap gear that fits the general idea.
Reply Quote
@ Amiar and Tranquility

As I posted before, there are lots of guys like Joey. They obviously love the game and spend heaps of time playing, but don't know about the forums and have no idea. And some, when you talk to them, are really nice. I've seen a lot of players with multiple level 60 characters in much worse shape too.

At least people who go on the forums have the resources available to improve themselves, though some of the noobs seem not to bother reading the guides. For players like Joey, you'd be totally transforming their Diablo experience.

I'm trying not to butt into your discussion but to me, it should be about helping the most people the most. Any guys reading, try it tonight and see.
Edited by Morpheus#6524 on 9/4/2013 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was playing around on my monk today trying out a support build and am realizing that he isn't really capable of playing on mp10 without dying all the time. I'm thinking that maybe I'll try and dump some money into my monk and maybe ask for the assistance of one of the big brothers 0.o. (if you wanna volunteer for that you can add me in game :D)

I just had an epiphany. What if we just gave each big brother like 500m gold and they used it on 1 or more people based on their needs? That way they can best use the money on a couple choice pieces or a complete set overhall, or if they want to choose noob monks, could potentially help out like 5 monks. This might just be the easiest solution that allows the most flexibility. All we would need now are for the big brothers to say which tax bracket they'd like to help out the most (so we have an equal-ish spread of the giving throughout the community)

Let me know what you guys think!

@relentless, when you gonna log on mang? Been looking for you for like 3 days!
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 9/4/2013 2:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
anyone looking to score points for advice check out my thread and my monk. thanks
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9882308143
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]