Diablo® III

Use this 5b gold or I will!

@Amiar

Haha I'm a night shifter you know this :p. I'll be on for about an hour starting around now. And like normal I'll be real easy to find in game Thurs-Sat.

Nice epiphany though. Skip the idea of a gearing contest and just let the builder/brothers help case by case as the see fit. I think that will help the most players in the end.
Reply Quote
Is there going to be a potentials/candidate list for people that would like to be considered for whatever option is chosen, e.g. a list big brother can review and choose who he wants to help....

I'd like it, so at least I knew I had a shot at upgrading gear
Reply Quote
I am all for it Amiar. I wasn't real big on the builder comp, so this suits my tastes just fine. It also allows them to work with the gear of the Monks they are mentoring, and not necessarily have to replace with a full set of gear, at their discretion.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback, sin.

@kal Once we nail down the final details of this we will definitely make a new thread for potential candidates and discussion!
Reply Quote
Well, I like the idea. I've played a monk to par 22 or so, but I feel like there are a lot of different ways to skill and gear. the advice with skills and gear would be good
Reply Quote
Okay, I want to hand out the money for at least 6 (hopefully 8) big brothers by the end of the day. Each brother will receive 500m to do with as they please (for helping at least one or more monks of varying skill/gear levels)

I need volunteers to do this who have experience and who are well known. I know some names have been thrown around, but I just want to double check back with those people.

So far I know the following

1. Jco310 - HC, knows gearing better than anyone for it
2. Scrapz - Knows gearing better than anyone/ great at buying low
3. AlphaShift14 - Helps people gear already
4. KimSulki84 - Knows how to gear as well
5. Acheron - same as above
6. Cayzer - same as above
7. VOX
8. Spear-Chucker

If your name is on this list and you want to help (or if your name isn't on this list and you do want to help) please post that you are still interested and I will contact you in game.

The next step is making a new thread to discuss gearing or showing off your little brothers from where they were to where they are now, or for anyone to chime in on how it's going.

As of this moment there is still 2b left in the budget. Did you guys want to just bank it for now and see how big brother goes (and possibly add 4 more installments) or do the odds and ends thing. If so I might need some people to help me head that up and help people buy things.

So, to recap, I need answers to the following:

1. If you want to be a big brother, please post.
2. Should we hold on to the 2b or use now for odds and ends?

Thanks for your continued patience as we figure this out. You guys have brought a lot of good discussion and been really level headed, and I would expect nothing less out of this community :D
Reply Quote
new player here would really like to have a mentor/big brother.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Bravo!

Amiar, you are truly a credit to our forums and it makes me so happy to see so much positive discussion.

I actually really like the idea of using some of the gold to upgrade single slots of higher-geared monks.

99.99% of give-a-ways are focused at newer monks and I think that is a good thing. They stand to gain the most. However, there is a solid core of people (you included Amiar) that post here regularly and are no less deserving of a little bump in the stats department.

There was a time when being bro-donated my first Nat's Ring was a HUGE upgrade and it's not like I had terrible gear at the time ... I was farming MP10 CotA. I just didn't have the loot RNG required to afford stuff like that.

So, my vote goes to spending that last 2b on either:
More Big Brothers (assuming that is what the community would like)
or
~250-500m single-item upgrades for a lucky few who need that one item to really start the pain-train.
as a mid-level monk, I would love a mentor/BB not even to buy me something, but just for general advice. Think its a great idea!
Reply Quote
To quote Druin: (For the 150k+ DPS bracket)

I actually really like the idea of using some of the gold to upgrade single slots of higher-geared monks.

So, my vote goes to spending that last 2b on:
~250-500m single-item upgrades for a lucky few who need that one item to really start the pain-train.

Well, I'm glad you've figured out what to do for the most part. GL with the everything! *Goes back to lurking, and randomly posting.*
Reply Quote
I second Druin that it should be for odds and ends especially aimed at slightly higher geared since the community as a whole does do a LOT for the lowered geared brethren/sistren (is that even a word?)
Edited by Asmodaean#1169 on 9/5/2013 11:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i too think a mentor or a one upgrade would help me a lot. Alphashift has helped me a lot already but i think if you are looking for monks who would benefit from one upgrade or just some mentoring it would be a great help to me
Reply Quote
Still looking for some of the big brothers to check in!!

Please confirm that you are ready to do this and we can start a thread and move forward (you with the money)
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Check - in. :P
Reply Quote
09/05/2013 11:19 PMPosted by AlphaShift14
Check - in. :P

Awesome, thanks! I'll add you in game and we can get things rolling.

@other big brothers. Do you want me to make a thread for the give away, or do you want to be more autonomous in how you select your lil bro? I could make a thread where people come for advice, or ask for help, or I could just make one where you guys keep us up to date on what's up. Let me know and hopefully I can get that started tomorrow!
Reply Quote
I'm in.

Spear
Reply Quote
So, what's my suggestion then? A three pronged approached.

1) Have a cut off point for entrants to giveaways. Such as 30k elite kills, 2000 hrs of play time. Such a range of playtime and elite kills should get them enough gold to farm decently, even on a second char.

2) Have a raffle for the giveaway. All interested players will have to submit an entrance fee to participate in the giveaway. Amount can be discussed at a later date. But it should not be too low nor too high. Too low, everyone will enter. Too high, people who genuinely need help can't enter. The gold gathered from the raffle ticket can be used in future for more giveaways.

3) Winner will get a set which is not too far off from his current set. Meaning, a player with 30k dps will not get a set with 250k dps. A 100k dps jump to 150k dps is still alright to me, but too big a gap and the gameplay seems to be totally different (different builds, different MP). Of course, this is actually one of the reason for giveaways! But, if it's too big a jump, the winner might not be really able to appreciate the true value of the giveaway set.

Hopefully, the three pronged approach is at least worthy to be a topic of discussion among the elite forummers..

I'm trying to think about how to handle team barb's 2b concession prize, and found this to be a fantastic and thought-provoking post. I like everything you listed except for the entrance fee. I agree that incremental jumps can often be where the winner would appreciate the value the most.

There was a time when being bro-donated my first Nat's Ring was a HUGE upgrade and it's not like I had terrible gear at the time ... I was farming MP10 CotA. I just didn't have the loot RNG required to afford stuff like that.

So, my vote goes to spending that last 2b on either:
More Big Brothers (assuming that is what the community would like)
or

I can completely relate to this. Most of the gear currently on my main is from a friend who gave it to me as he quit. My own gear was strong in its own right, but incrementally worse all around, and to make that incremental jump would have cost billions, and I had lost motivation to push that envelope. I think its definitely a good idea to put aside a good bundle for the experienced and dedicated. Upgrades don't come easily for anyone, no matter what gear level they're at.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, lots of good ideas. Good luck with the giveaway, I'll keep my eyes on it as well.
Reply Quote
Nice idea guys !!!! i'm in !!! :) Everything could help me....mentor or anything else. I just hit 60 this week with my monk. Dont know a lot about this class...

Thanks !!!
Edited by Savard#1901 on 9/6/2013 10:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Not enough time or energy to read thread but if you need another big brother I can help a monk out on weekends. Havn't played much lately I am always up for a helping hand.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]