Diablo® III

My Barb Has Been a Mess For Months...Help?

My Barb (only toon really) has been a disaster for months. I read through stickies/theorycrafting guides/etc. but between all of the recommendations/different sided arguments, I think I've fallen completely off a "track". I seem to have hit a wall, and in failing to gear correctly, have blown any kind of budget on things "here and there" without substantial upgrades.

For arguments sake, I have 50mil to play with as well as whatever I can make from selling off bad gear choices I currently have.

Any recommendations and/or critiques on how I can fix this disaster and get back on the right track would be appreciated. I'm impartial to DW vs. Skorn as I've never had incredible success/failure with either.

Thanks in advance.
Edited by Amraz#1314 on 8/31/2013 10:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
drop the oculus ring first off get a better dps ring it will suit a barb a lot better

get a higher str WH you should be able to afford one look for around 200 str

craft you some bracers, the attack speed off lacunis dosent do much of anything imo, you could gain a lot of dps/ehp just from bracers

if you are going to continue to use ik boots get atleast some 180/180 + ones (this is by far your worst item that you currently have on him)

scorn is way to low damage to even be using, yes the life steal is nice but the damage is just bad....pick you up a cheap EF with 1100 dps and a socket with str (crit or life steal is not important just get a cheap one)

Pick you up a second weapon with around 1k dps some life steal and crit and os (even lower dps if you have to your still going to get a good dps/attack speed bonus from doing this)

swap out brawler for bloodthirst this will make up for you lack of life steal

lastly you have no fury generating skills drop rend for bash with punish rune its proabably extremely hard for you to gain fury.
Reply Quote
drop the oculus ring first off get a better dps ring it will suit a barb a lot better

get a higher str WH you should be able to afford one look for around 200 str

craft you some bracers, the attack speed off lacunis dosent do much of anything imo, you could gain a lot of dps/ehp just from bracers

if you are going to continue to use ik boots get atleast some 180/180 + ones (this is by far your worst item that you currently have on him)

scorn is way to low damage to even be using, yes the life steal is nice but the damage is just bad....pick you up a cheap EF with 1100 dps and a socket with str (crit or life steal is not important just get a cheap one)

Pick you up a second weapon with around 1k dps some life steal and crit and os (even lower dps if you have to your still going to get a good dps/attack speed bonus from doing this)

swap out brawler for bloodthirst this will make up for you lack of life steal

lastly you have no fury generating skills drop rend for bash with punish rune its proabably extremely hard for you to gain fury.

Poseidon,

First off, thanks very much for the quick response. So far I am happy with the results; still have quite a bit of tweaking to do per your instruction. I know the luck to get these is insane, but I am thrilled to say that after 2 craft attempts on bracers I came out with these: http://oi43.tinypic.com/s4rmtg.jpg

Again, thanks. I will post another update after I have some time to do some more alterations.
Reply Quote
Hello Nephalem Amraz,

Are you looking to run a R&R (Rend and Run)? IMO, you should really be bolstering your Base Damage. If you have to move off a LS skorn, you will likely be forced into IK belt. Check your RLTW BPs w/ gear changes. The Occ Ring is terrible and is generally a sign of low EHP on high EHP responsiblity pieces. If you are correctly skipping elites, I would advise a rare ring.

You might be able to get away w/ just 3% LS on belt of you do a good job of avoiding E's, but eventually you will still likely have to upgrade BACK into a LS skorn. Everything gearwise should be going into a nice Crit Rend w/ the MS to run.

A lot of this is based on my personal opinion over community accepted standards. Hopefully an actual expert will offer better advice than this.

GL HF

edit:

You might want to look into Ruby MH. This is not a suggestion to switch Emerald to Ruby... This is a suggestion to Check if that is a good option
Edited by Cartographer#1273 on 8/31/2013 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hello Nephalem Amraz,

Are you looking to run a R&R (Rend and Run)? IMO, you should really be bolstering your Base Damage. If you have to move off a LS skorn, you will likely be forced into IK belt. Check your RLTW BPs w/ gear changes. The Occ Ring is terrible and is generally a sign of low EHP on high EHP responsiblity pieces. If you are correctly skipping elites, I would advise a rare ring.

You might be able to get away w/ just 3% LS on belt of you do a good job of avoiding E's, but eventually you will still likely have to upgrade BACK into a LS skorn. Everything gearwise should be going into a nice Crit Rend w/ the MS to run.

A lot of this is based on my personal opinion over community accepted standards. Hopefully an actual expert will offer better advice than this.

GL HF

edit:

You might want to look into Ruby MH. This is not a suggestion to switch Emerald to Ruby... This is a suggestion to Check if that is a good option

Thanks for the additional suggestions Cartographer.

At this point, I've had time to play with the altered gear set and modification of skills. I'm finding that damage has gone up, but survivability has dropped drastically. I was running, as Cartographer refers to it, "Rend and Run" but trying to move into a HOTA/WW hybrid. Back to poor survivability, this is likely a factor of the dropped base damage and lifesteal, but with overhauled gear, I might be missing something else. Going from WH back to my IK belt is the only option I see right now.

Further recommendations appreciated to support boosting survivability, but ideally not at the expense of damage.
Edited by Amraz#1314 on 9/1/2013 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think you should swap your WH out for an IK belt. This will allow you to drop bloodthirst in favor of an offensive passive like brawler.

If you're set on using a hellfire ring, you should try to get a better one. I know yours has vit, but it doesn't add very much in regards to damage.

Also, if you're really set on getting as much exp per kill as possible, putting an amethyst in your helm will help you more than you think. The extra life % will keep you alive, and probably allow you to bump up to the next MP. If you check the chart, the higher MP will always* give you more exp than having a ruby in your helm.

*Once you get above MP3. The difference from MP3 -> MP4 is 40% more exp.
Reply Quote
I think you should swap your WH out for an IK belt. This will allow you to drop bloodthirst in favor of an offensive passive like brawler.

If you're set on using a hellfire ring, you should try to get a better one. I know yours has vit, but it doesn't add very much in regards to damage.

Also, if you're really set on getting as much exp per kill as possible, putting an amethyst in your helm will help you more than you think. The extra life % will keep you alive, and probably allow you to bump up to the next MP. If you check the chart, the higher MP will always* give you more exp than having a ruby in your helm.

*Once you get above MP3. The difference from MP3 -> MP4 is 40% more exp.

I swapped the IK belt in, but didn't put brawler with the extra life steal; I'll see what this does.

As for the MP, I've been doing MP10...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]