Diablo® III

Self-Found mode: Why do you feel it's necessary?

I play self-found and I've been doing so for quite a long time now.

Now that we have that out of the way, why is there an argument over needing new servers just for self-found players? As I don't really play the game to boast about my gear...most of the time ;) , the only reasonable response I can think of (not you, not everyone, just me) is that people want more equality in PVP, and even that will be skewed based on who plays most and who has the best luck. As it stands, that may not be a fully-featured part of the game until D3X2 anyway, so why the fuss?

I play self-found because it's enjoyable to me. I also don't use a follower because it's not enjoyable to me (and that makes zero sense whatsoever, I'm aware). I don't craft BOA gear because I don't consider it part of self-found given the massive disparity between those items and what we actually find in-game. None of this is gospel, just my preferences.

The concerns of people asking for separate servers are noted, but you can always play the way you want to play. Just like the guys afraid of lag death in HC can play SC with the rule that if they legitimately die they'll erase their character in response (it's really hard to do). In addition to that, you're fragmenting the player-base in a serious way, artificially causing numbers to dwindle more than they already have.

A ladder system is legitimized by way of being a race to the top. Many won't play ladders since they lose their progress when all is said and done, but that's a good thing. It means we don't lose too much of the community to another game mode that many will never play.

I don't mean any offense to the folks asking for an individual mode for this style of play. I just want to get a clear picture from the people that do want this. What would it provide you that you can't get now? If the answer is higher quality drops then you're fooling yourself because they won't give us that for an alt. server. That's what the loot patch is for.

Please, no enraged responses or immaturity if you can help it. I'd like this to be a somewhat philosophical discussion on the merits and drawbacks of such a mode, not a flame war down the aisles. =)
They just wanted another reason to complain about the AH.

What it boils down to is people that hate the AH have ego issues. They hate seeing people with better gear so they cry about it.

The AH doesn't effect your game at all. You don't have to use it. Period.
There is no need for a self found server. The only thing I wished we had was separate gold and a separate stash for each character. Then of course a shared stash for those who want to use it.
Dude, why are you starting a new thread? Honestly CM's really got to start locking these threads. Not trying to be rude but, you are not supposed to start threads about topics that already exist in an open thread. (see thread 6-7 threads below yours)

Once again, let the trolling begin. Any bets on whether or not someone posts an original thought?

What it boils down to is people that hate the AH have ego issues. They hate seeing people with better gear so they cry about it.

In some cases your observation is sure to be accurate, but I'm hoping to get responses from people who support the idea more so than from those that don't. I think those stating we don't need such a mode have already made their case loud and clear. =P

08/26/2013 03:53 PMPosted by Suedomsa
There is no need for a self found server. The only thing I wished we had was separate gold and a separate stash for each character. Then of course a shared stash for those who want to use it.

I don't care for having separate stashes, but I definitely think the current number of stash pages should be doubled at least. I would definitely like a page per character class. (one for mats would be nice too)
Dude, why are you starting a new thread? Honestly CM's really got to start locking these threads. Not trying to be rude but, you are not supposed to start threads about topics that already exist in an open thread. (see thread 6-7 threads below yours)

Once again, let the trolling begin. Any bets on whether or not someone posts an original thought?

I understand your apprehension, but the reason people start new threads is because of old ones being derailed or filled up with hateful, nasty comments for no reason. If there were a self-found thread approaching it from this angle that I knew about and that had elicited responses akin to what I'm looking for, I don't think I'd have started this one. The thread below that you're referring to is assuming it's a good thing and unfortunately has invited nothing but criticism. I'm looking for the other side of the coin. =)
Please Blizzard, for the love of god, let us filter out these damn self-found threads. PLEASE.

SHUT UP ABOUT SELF-FOUND NO ONE CARES BUT YOU GUYS. KEEP IT TO ONE THREAD PLEASE.
You can't make a thread and request only people who agree with you to reply...

I smell a flipper. Just lol... Won't even attempt to educate this obviously biased guy.

I smell a flipper. Just lol... Won't even attempt to educate this obviously biased guy.

Since when is one persons opinion considered biased or another's an education? You are welcome to your own opinion but, don't try to pass it off as educational. That would make your opinion right and others opinions wrong. An opinion cannot be right or wrong, only agreed with or disagreed with. Sorry if that sounds like an education. ;)
08/26/2013 04:07 PMPosted by Capo
You can't make a thread and request only people who agree with you to reply...

I'm actually doing the opposite. I disagree with the need for self-found (I am a self-found player who doesn't see the need) and would like only the people who DO want a self-found mode to reply. I would say that should invite more beneficial arguments to the notion of having a self-found mode. So far though, I don't believe I've had a single post in this thread that supports the idea. Which to be honest, makes me think the people that have responded probably haven't even read my thread in its entirety. Maybe everyone's just skimming these days... =P
This whole self-found recognition and having their own server must be a softcore thing because I have numerous people on my friend list that have played purely self found since even last year in hardcore. Never once have I heard them tell me that they wanted their own server or mode or whatever. I have also played some self found (a paragon 22 and a paragon 12 that sadly died) and never once did I consider another mode just for this playstyle. We that play this in hardcore are too preoccupied with having FUN playing self found to worry about what GG gear (or not) others that don't play self found have. SELF found is about personally challenging yourself and SELF satisfaction. Leave the EPEEN kind of stuff to credit card warriors, flippers and the like.
08/26/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Alexandros
the only reasonable response I can think of (not you, not everyone, just me) is that people want more equality in PVP, and even that will be skewed based on who plays most and who has the best luck. As it stands, that may not be a fully-featured part of the game until D3X2 anyway, so why the fuss?

PVP would be fairer and with a proper matchmaking service would make PVP and/or Brawling fun.

The concerns of people asking for separate servers are noted, but you can always play the way you want to play. Just like the guys afraid of lag death in HC can play SC with the rule that if they legitimately die they'll erase their character in response (it's really hard to do). In addition to that, you're fragmenting the player-base in a serious way, artificially causing numbers to dwindle more than they already have.

You are correct for single play only but what happens now if you want to play in a random public game? Guess who is hated...the SF player. We already are fragmented because most Selfies do not use Auction Houses and thus contribute nothing to them. We can't play in random public games so we don't participate in them either. Therefore separating us does nothing to the rest of the playerbase. We want a separate and optional SF environment so that we know that everyone we play with is under the exact same ruleset and that everyone is legit within the mode.

What would it provide you that you can't get now? If the answer is higher quality drops then you're fooling yourself because they won't give us that for an alt. server. That's what the loot patch is for.

We don't need a badge or better drop rates, we just want a place to play with other like-minded players. We like to find or make all of our items and there is no way to successfully integrate with the majority who like to buy all the best items. Not saying they aren't having fun but it's not fun for us.
08/26/2013 04:22 PMPosted by Mlenk
This whole self-found recognition and having their own server must be a softcore thing because I have numerous people on my friend list that have played purely self found since even last year in hardcore. Never once have I heard them tell me that they wanted their own server or mode or whatever. I have also played some self found (a paragon 22 and a paragon 12 that sadly died) and never once did I consider another mode just for this playstyle. We that play this in hardcore are too preoccupied with having FUN playing self found to worry about what GG gear (or not) others that don't play self found have. SELF found is about personally challenging yourself and SELF satisfaction. Leave the EPEEN kind of stuff to credit card warriors, flippers and the like.

And that would be rather close to my take on it, but I still want to see the philosophical talking points from those that support the new mode. Maybe someone could actually convince me otherwise. =)
You are correct for single play only but what happens now if you want to play in a random public game? Guess who is hated...the SF player. We already are fragmented because most Selfies do not use Auction Houses and thus contribute nothing to them. We can't play in random public games so we don't participate in them either. Therefore separating us does nothing to the rest of the playerbase. We want a separate and optional SF environment so that we know that everyone we play with is under the exact same ruleset and that everyone is legit within the mode.

Thank you for this. It's much more in line with the kind of posts I'm hoping to see in this thread. Also, they're actually pretty good points. I am not the most trusting of random people online and therefore tend to play private games with friends that largely play the same way, but it's definitely an astute observation about the state of the game where public play is concerned.

As to your statement about the auction houses...I think one of the most difficult things about "self-found" would be defining it. I sell gear that cannot benefit any of my characters (I have one character of each class) and I use my gold for the sake of buying tomes and flawless squares. It is my one concession with the jeweler gods as I don't craft gear and especially wouldn't craft BOA gear (too OP compared to drops and therefore not self-found by my estimation) and find that I have to use my gold for something in this game at the very least. Some would argue that doesn't count, but it just seems asinine not to use my gold in some way.

So in short, I definitely understand the idea of feeling like without participation in the multi-player aspects of the game, you're just enduring a neutered experience. My only counter argument has to be "if you feel that way about the experience, why are you playing self-found?" But I will defer to your point that if the mode existed then you wouldn't feel that way to begin with.

Thanks for the post. =)

P.S. Regarding PVP. If they ever implement PVP they will utilize match-making by default. Whether it's any good or not would be up for debate, but assuming it would be, it nullifies any associated merit towards the inclusion of self-found for that purpose.
Edited by Alexandros#1268 on 8/26/2013 4:44 PM PDT
One thing i love at the moment is these people on the forums, "Self Found mode is self imposed you should just handle it and play like that"... then "Blizz make the forums so we can filter out the self made forums, because we can't help but post in those forums"

Irony, like a slap in the face.

I want self found mode so i can play with others in an open game setting void of the auction house, which ruins the game. I want the original loot game that i fell in love with back in the days, and i want to play with others that share that view in an open game setting.
08/26/2013 04:49 PMPosted by troyshaun
I want self found mode so i can play with others in an open game setting void of the auction house, which ruins the game. I want the original loot game that i fell in love with back in the days, and i want to play with others that share that view in an open game setting.

+1. Me too.
One thing i love at the moment is these people on the forums, "Self Found mode is self imposed you should just handle it and play like that"... then "Blizz make the forums so we can filter out the self made forums, because we can't help but post in those forums"

Irony, like a slap in the face.

Thanks for the post. So your primary concern is playing with like-minded people then? The AH can be avoided easily enough, but I understand wanting to play with people that think of the game the same way. Thanks again. =)

As to your statement about the auction houses...I think one of the most difficult things about "self-found" would be defining it.

In the end, it will be Blizzard who determines exactly what they would want in a SFcore Mode of play. I and other "Selfies" propose mostly the same thing: Find or make all of your own items, no Auction House use, no trading (can be abused), no dropping of items (to give to other accounts), and a separate and optional (via checkbox upon character creation) environment or Mode.

One proposal: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9309641216

I sell gear that cannot benefit any of my characters (I have one character of each class) and I use my gold for the sake of buying tomes and flawless squares. It is my one concession with the jeweler gods as I don't craft gear and especially wouldn't craft BOA gear (too OP compared to drops and therefore not self-found by my estimation) and find that I have to use my gold for something in this game at the very least. Some would argue that doesn't count, but it just seems asinine not to use my gold in some way.

I have been playing since day one and probably about 900 hours. After paying for the Ponyland staff (Inferno level) I have about 8 million gold. All my gold goes into repairs, making higher level gems, and especially crafting. Trust me, you'll never have enough gold.

So in short, I definitely understand the idea of feeling like without participation in the multi-player aspects of the game, you're just enduring a neutered experience. My only counter argument has to be "if you feel that way about the experience, why are you playing self-found?" But I will defer to your point that if the mode existed then you wouldn't feel that way to begin with.

I play solo and I believe most Selfies do. Once we have a mode that guarantees that people are legitimately SF, and they have a proper public game matchmaking service that groups people by level and DPS, we will probably continue to play solo. All it takes is one faker to come in and spoil our fun, just like there are idiots who love to kill off Hardcore characters then post it on Youtube.

Thanks for the post. =)

It has been a very long time since I have actually been in a forum discussion that uses logic, intellect, and the proper rules of debate. I don't expect you to agree with everything I say but I do thank you for keeping an open mind and listening to both sides of the dialogue.
08/26/2013 04:57 PMPosted by SirRight
In the end, it will be Blizzard who determines exactly what they would want in a SFcore Mode of play.

Uh-oh, that could be problematic lol.

08/26/2013 04:57 PMPosted by SirRight
Trust me, you'll never have enough gold.

I never do... ;)

I play solo and I believe most Selfies do. Once we have a mode that guarantees that people are legitimately SF, and they have a proper public game matchmaking service that groups people by level and DPS, we will probably continue to play solo. All it takes is one faker to come in and spoil our fun, just like there are idiots who love to kill off Hardcore characters then post it on Youtube.

I play with friends in private matches and that's it. I don't even have my achievement for joining a public game yet =| . That said, most people don't play Diablo as much as I do and therefore my friends still benefit from my help in farming.

It has been a very long time since I have actually been in a forum discussion that uses logic, intellect, and the proper rules of debate. I don't expect you to agree with everything I say but I do thank you for keeping an open mind and listening to both sides of the dialogue.

Always the intent. Nice to discuss ideas without all the harassment. =)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]