Diablo® III

Self-Found mode: Why do you feel it's necessary?

08/27/2013 09:18 AMPosted by JaqenHghar
- Why would I want to stay with people who don't play the way I and other like minded players do, have to constantly endure their pointing at our scrub gear, calling us names, and booting us from public games (which is why we don't even bother to play public games).

Wow. That actually happens? That is cold man. Some folks just can't afford to use the AH's, they're lucky to have the game and a computer to play it on. Others choose not to spend their discretionary income on a game that is, in their opinion, supposed to provide everything you need to play once you spend the money buying it. Maybe they feel they are being scammed? They paid for a game and now they find that to play it to it's maximum potential, they have to spend more money. Then there's guys like me who don't mind dropping a few bucks in order to create the "ultimate warrior".

The point is we are all here to enjoy ourselves and belittling someone for their gear or style of play is rude, ignorant and just plain mean. I don't mind carrying someone through a run or helping them out with gear that I can't use but may help them. I didn't just pop into this game with my skills and gear, someone helped me. Someone carried me at different times. Someone took the time to teach me which skills to use for max effect. Someone gave me gear I didn't have, didn't know about or couldn't afford at the time.

We're a community and like any community we work best when we work together.

I can say that this has never happened to me because I don't play random public games but I have talked with many other people (both other Selfies and non-Selfies with low DPS) that have publically stated that this does happen. I have even seen many posts from people who say they boot out scrub gear characters from their games, all the time (some have remorse and some don't).

To be fair, some low DPS players deliberately join high MP games they shouldn't be in and this understandably upsets the people in that game.

The community has been separate since day one. Don't get me wrong, I am very well off and could easily plunk down $500 and buy all the best gear but I don't play games in that method. I like to earn all of my gear and work at it. I am stubborn that way; it's the principle of the thing. Many of us fit this profile, albeit we are a minority compared to the Cardies and flippers.
If you enter a mp5 game with 12k dps I will kick you. If you enter a mp1 game I will ask you if I can help you with gear or if you're fine with waht you have.

You will always run into idiots in public games, that#s why I play with firends or solo most of the time.

Get over yourselves and play within a selffound community or play HC or whatever.

HC is pretty much selffound if you want. Every 3rd piece you find on mp1 can be sold. Grow a pair or just play with other "selfies".
I'm a Muslim, I don't eat pork, so I think I need a special place where nobody is allowed to eat it. I demand, that in every town of the world, ther must be at least two restaurants, markets and public places where eating pork is not allowed, in case I might visit said towns, eventually.

I demand this globally, literally in ervery town of the world, just because it's my style.

But please, you all suck with your bacon and your sandwich and I can't just look the other way, because I'm a freakin' selfish brat.

It's funny but when I was a kid, I was one of the only kids who didn't smoke. A black sheep really. But there has been a paradigm shift in thinking (yes I am using that statement again) towards smoking and now no one is allowed to smoke in restaurants or any public building.

The haters back then could have said to the non-smokers "If you don't like cig smoke then don't enter public buildings" but the minority won and we have a beautiful, smoke free environment indoors.

So I just took your sarcasm and turned it into a relevant point.
I'm a Muslim, I don't eat pork, so I think I need a special place where nobody is allowed to eat it. I demand, that in every town of the world, ther must be at least two restaurants, markets and public places where eating pork is not allowed, in case I might visit said towns, eventually.

I demand this globally, literally in ervery town of the world, just because it's my style.

But please, you all suck with your bacon and your sandwich and I can't just look the other way, because I'm a freakin' selfish brat.

It's funny but when I was a kid, I was one of the only kids who didn't smoke. A black sheep really. But there has been a paradigm shift in thinking (yes I am using that statement again) towards smoking and now no one is allowed to smoke in restaurants or any public building.

The haters back then could have said to the non-smokers "If you don't like cig smoke then don't enter public buildings" but the minority won and we have a beautiful, smoke free environment indoors.

So, smoking is detrimental to health, hence has been banned in many public areas. Parents lobbied for this to protect their children and other non-smokers. Fair enough.

Not eating pork is not detrimental to anyone... at all. You really gotta make better comparisons. The pork guy did a better job.

Oh, really?

It's a totally different thing, if you argue about peoples health or a game where you can already play the way you want.

It's like saying: "Hey the air is totally fine here, but I don't like to look at that guy smoking outside, please, I want my own world!"

Get over yourselves and play within a selffound community or play HC or whatever.

HC is pretty much selffound if you want. Every 3rd piece you find on mp1 can be sold. Grow a pair or just play with other "selfies".

Well your attitude is exactly why we do want a separate and optional in game SF Mode of play.

I do play Hardcore Self-found because it is more of a challenge, for me.

I don't want to use the AH to sell equipment so why are you forcing me to?

My pair is fine and I would gladly play with other Selfies if there was an in game Mode that would cater to us but have no affect on the super nice people like you.

Oh, really?

It's a totally different thing, if you argue about peoples health or a game where you can already play the way you want.

It's like saying: "Hey the air is totally fine here, but I don't like to look at that guy smoking outside, please, I want my own world!"

Don't bother debating with this guy. You will never get anywhere. He is always right and you will always be wrong. He will eventually put you on his ignore list like he has done with everyone else. Just read through some of his past posts- really very creepy.
Posted by SirRight

And an excellent point it is, because just as you don't need to smoke indoors, you don't need a mode to play self-found.
Edited by Vresiberba#2940 on 8/27/2013 10:08 AM PDT
08/27/2013 10:04 AMPosted by SirRight
I do play Hardcore Self-found because it is more of a challenge, for me.

No, you play SF HC because everyone told you to !@#$ and actually play the game before you start demanding stuff as, up until recently you never even touched HC. After 3 months, you haven't beaten normal yet. Goes to show how much time you troll the forums rather than actually playing the game.
08/26/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Darkseid
The AH doesn't effect your game at all

Blizzard reduced drop rates knowing that AH would be a source for items just like finding them on the ground. If there was a non-AH self found mode, one would assume the drop rates would be based purely on how quickly you could acquire them from just farming.
Level 24 in HC, lol.

Stating you play HC SF with this kind of char is a bad joke.

I bet, after you got your SF Server, you will demand higher droprates, because, you know, you're special and you can't trade with others, so you need higher droprates.

The real world can't always cater to you. That's why we play video games. If video games were as tedious as the real world I would not play them.
Level 24 in HC, lol.

Stating you play HC SF with this kind of char is a bad joke.

I bet, after you got your SF Server, you will demand higher droprates, because, you know, you're special and you can't trade with others, so you need higher droprates.

Making personal attacks based people's account is a surefire sign of a strong argument!
They just wanted another reason to complain about the AH.

What it boils down to is people that hate the AH have ego issues. They hate seeing people with better gear so they cry about it.

The AH doesn't effect your game at all. You don't have to use it. Period.

Though I don't think we need dif servers as you can SF without them. Even Jay Wilson is saying the AH should of never been in this game. And that it ruined it. But that said... If you cant SF cause your too tempted in buying stuff then seems like a personal problem.
It's necessary because the AH is a dead end.

So, actually, the ONLY way to ever have a SF game is to isolate it completely from the rest of Battlenet, and while I understand this and agree that it is the only viable option, I don't see Blizzard dedicating the time or money to enable it. The best you can do, at this point at least, is to set up a group of pure SF players off site and only play with those players who join and agree to the rules.

My $0.02: I don't know anything about the costs or efforts that would go into making an isolated SF community, but in my earlier post in this thread, I outlined the main reason (from my point of view) SF players don't stick around long. The goldmine that is the big big AH button right there is too big a temptation to ignore.

Yes, one might say that you should not ever WANT to click on it because you're SF, but then the knowledge that good gear is just a few mouseclicks away would weaken most resolves, given time. Many of my friends quit the game simply because they didn't like that the AH was there.

For most people, playing D3 is a method of relaxation, not walking into an ice-cream parlour while you're on a diet. Yeah, you could technically not buy or eat any ice-cream, but seeing the various flavours of ice cream, the free tastings doled out, the various people walking around with cones in their hand... Most people just walk right out, or opt not to walk in at all.

Now, imagine that the parlour had a choice of introducing fat-free ice cream, one that would still appeal to those on diet without breaking their daily caloric allowances. The dieting customers predictably would frequent that parlour, maybe even ask some friends to get a cone or two. Obviously, the parlour would have to weigh the costs of providing this extra type of ice cream against the potential profits from customers, referrals, etc.

I think this is where most people rooting for SF are coming from, the ability to "turn off" the AH, make all items BoA, etc. Just so the temptation to trade in game / buy better gear off the AH disappears completely. Getting all of the fat out of the ice-cream, so to speak.

Edit: Grammatical errors! I'm OCD when it comes to my own spelling.
Edited by Ridpath#1708 on 8/27/2013 11:44 AM PDT
My assertion is that I would stick around longer with SF, because it will take longer to get to the boring (for me) "grind for hours to get a 1% DPS upgrade" portion of the game.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]