Diablo® III

Rethink the function of Teleport aka Reversal

I get it, Teleport serves two functions:

Move forward at faster than walking speeds.
Re-position during DPS'ing/avoid death.

I have recently been playing around with Teleport: Reversal..and I've been having a blast with it.

First, you sorta kinda gotta forget what Teleport is traditionally utilized for.

It has a lot of fun uses, especially for Act 1 runs with those exploding Grotesques as well as molten and fire chains.

1. When more than 2 Grotesques are about to go boom, I port out of the pack...after they boom, (up to 8 seconds later), I port right back in. Now yes, I do realize that you can time your wormhole and accomplish this anyway, but this gives you a much, much larger window of time, at a fraction of the AP cost.

2. When running with a vortex monk, you can aggro enemies from outside your little two person "frozen woodchipper" by porting out, putting some twisters on enemies off screen, and porting back again, without needing that traditional cool down on teleport: wormhole that can force you to lose that CC on crowds..again, at a far less cost of AP than a full 4 port wormhole.

3. People with low Crit Chance/IAS that can't necessarily get their cooldown on TP back in time now essentially have two ports within 8 seconds. While they can obviously only port back to where they started, it's sometimes a great option to just be able to move...and you have 8 seconds to do it, which is nice.

4. When searching for areas to uncover, porting in the direction you are searching allows you to completely regain allll the traveled ground that led you nowhere. For example, looking for Crypts in Act 1 - Take WP, port north, run up to 8 seconds in the direction of where the crypts are ( i think with 24% ms you can ascertain if it's there or not...if not, port, and you'll be right back at WP and can then move south.

I'm not saying it's end game skill utilization...but give it a try, it's actually lots of fun! Best challenge is seeing how far you can run before porting back...it is VERY far.
Reply Quote
I must say that is one rune that I have never used.....
Reply Quote
what happens if you tele and you tele'd back to town, and you tele again? :D
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 01:45 PMPosted by Emperor
what happens if you tele and you tele'd back to town, and you tele again? :D

Doesn't work.. If you ported next to yourself in town and then took the WP to FOM, clicking teleport doesn't bring you back to town...but it would be AWESOME if it did!
Reply Quote
Very nice write up - I recommend everyone play around with this rune, it has great tactical potential. I haven't used it in a long time but it sounds great for crypts agro, perticularilly for solo runs.

One other use i think this rune has is in pvp a way to bait your opponent and deal sneaky damage with a well timed eb chain.
Reply Quote
I have played with Reversal some. I found wormhole in conjunction with CM and proc engine to be superior in every practical PVE way.

The context where I imagined Reversal was most useful was actually PVP, since you probably won't be getting many CM procs, and can teleport LONG distances, totally baffling an opponent.

2. When running with a vortex monk, you can aggro enemies from outside your little two person "frozen woodchipper" by porting out, putting some twisters on enemies off screen, and porting back again, without needing that traditional cool down on teleport: wormhole that can force you to lose that CC on crowds..again, at a far less cost of AP than a full 4 port wormhole.

I do this faster and better (farther travel) with wormhole and no AP issues since twisters running. Just make sure to freeze stuff in the chipper prior to whipping around.
Reply Quote
View profile
Doesn't it have the quirk where even if you reset the cooldown on teleport, you have to reverse before teleporting again to another place? I seem to recall something like that being annoying about reversal. But I really liked the idea as that is what I like about illusionist (hopping around the battlefield.)
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 11:33 PMPosted by GunnersDream
Doesn't it have the quirk where even if you reset the cooldown on teleport, you have to reverse before teleporting again to another place? I seem to recall something like that being annoying about reversal. But I really liked the idea as that is what I like about illusionist (hopping around the battlefield.)

Hmmm..that's not the experience I've had. I port..and the teleport skill doesn't enter cooldown phase for 8 seconds. Porting at any time during those 8 seconds returns you to the original "ported from" position. Should you elect to not "trigger" reversal, after 8 seconds, the traditional cool down on port triggers.

I do this faster and better (farther travel) with wormhole and no AP issues since twisters running. Just make sure to freeze stuff in the chipper prior to whipping around.

I understand fully the purpose of Wormhole. But I don't care what someone's CC/IAS is (for the overwhelming most part) If you port out of a pack of mobs with wormhole to go aggro something off screen, you will have to reset the cooldown to port back in...by then, even if you froze that original group of mobs with 0% Crowd Control Resistance, they will have shifted immensely or ran after you (unless the monk is cyclone striking them back in). AP problem is not the governing reason behind trying this though. At the end of the day, I'm sure most of us would vote for Wormhole/Safe Passage over Reversal. I'm just saying it's a lot of fun and you wind up thinking of new ways to use teleport for positioning.
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 04:18 PMPosted by Amos
Very nice write up
Thanks buddy.
Reply Quote
Maybe there should be a Wizard's "Pearls of Wisdom" thread that highlights some tips and tricks like flux or reversal for interesting ways/tactical wizard gaming options that people might like to consider.

dont' want to frost nova? why not try frozen solid for a dps and freeze effect?

apoc giving you trouble, not cost effective? there is always prism spam for that sweet ap redux?

anyway i'm going to institute reversal into my disruption build since i have found a littl extra mit lately, i think it will be nice - i'm gonna try comboing it with miasma and hopefully i will be abel to port one place drop a miasma teleport everythings brains out while maintain the slow effect over time then reversal back to original place and do it again - it would be like being in 2 places at once pottentially displacing 2 mobs at once - oh i tingle with anticipation if this will work out.
Reply Quote
At best, Reversal is viable, as in, it doesn't completely cripple you. But CM takes care of the cooldown and APoC takes care of the AP cost. I think the only non-CM, non-Archon build that exists is low MP Blizzard farming, which doesn't ever require you to go backwards. Maybe Arcane Mines? Teleport, place mines, Reverse back?
Edited by mzy#1101 on 8/31/2013 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
plot holes everywhere :D
Reply Quote
08/31/2013 04:44 AMPosted by mzy
At best, Reversal is viable, as in, it doesn't completely cripple you. But CM takes care of the cooldown and APoC takes care of the AP cost. I think the only non-CM, non-Archon build that exists is low MP Blizzard farming, which doesn't ever require you to go backwards. Maybe Arcane Mines? Teleport, place mines, Reverse back?

That's not the point of the post. For example, you can use Reversal strategically to herd mobs.

I ran with Melkor when he was doing this, and it's a great way to herd for the group, especially if there is another freezer already.
Reply Quote
View profile
08/31/2013 11:24 AMPosted by jenpeezey

That's not the point of the post. For example, you can use Reversal strategically to herd mobs.

I ran with Melkor when he was doing this, and it's a great way to herd for the group, especially if there is another freezer already.

Well, Melkor did mention cooldown and AP cost in his OP, those are pretty much irrelevant. I can see how the different functionality of the skill could be useful for herding and backtracking, however. Interesting idea, I can say I've only cast reversal probably twice in my life, both times in New Tristram.
Reply Quote
Well, Melkor did mention cooldown and AP cost in his OP, those are pretty much irrelevant. I can see how the different functionality of the skill could be useful for herding and backtracking, however. Interesting idea, I can say I've only cast reversal probably twice in my life, both times in New Tristram.

I dunno Boost, is it really irrelevant? If you port out of a pack at full wind up and expend all 4 wormhole ports, I get you, you're back in business really fast with a full AP pool..but I'm porting out of that pack when the enemies are dwindling (hence why I need more for the monk to cyclone and me to freeze/proc). If we're talking 2-3 mobs, I can't get back to the monk as fast as I can with reversal..but I admit, that's an extremely circumstantial example and wormhole is probably just overall better.. Either way, give it a shot..you might find it fun (though at FIRST, it's sorta awkward/frustrating lol)
Edited by Melkor#1521 on 8/31/2013 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
My bad dawg. Forgot you run 2.5.

I get what you are saying about the way it moves you and all that. I'll give it a try. If I boot up my wiz anytime soon.
Reply Quote

I wish demon hunter vault had something like Reversal.
Reply Quote
08/31/2013 12:43 PMPosted by jenpeezey

I wish demon hunter vault had something like Reversal.

Ahh Peez your DH holds her own without it just fine :p
Edited by Melkor#1521 on 8/31/2013 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
loool my ... shall we say incompetence at playing DH still, means i have my own inbuilt reversal loool so many times i'm vaulting about only to spam it 1 too many times and vault right back to where i was trying to escape from - i dunno if my mousey work sucks and i somehow leaving the curser behind me when i try vaulting again causing me to run back into the mess i'm trying to escape or whatever lol

but it would be a cool rune, perhaps if it was on an auto timer? for both wiz and dh how fun would that be, you tele/vault out and automatically after 8 secons it tele's/vault's you back - it would save my brain for that extra bit of micro trying to remember to pop it in time to get back lol.
Reply Quote
View profile

Hmmm..that's not the experience I've had. I port..and the teleport skill doesn't enter cooldown phase for 8 seconds. Porting at any time during those 8 seconds returns you to the original "ported from" position. Should you elect to not "trigger" reversal, after 8 seconds, the traditional cool down on port triggers.

Actually that's what I mean though. If you have critical mass (or illusionist), you reset the cooldown often a lot faster than 8 seconds. So if you have, you must first use the reveral port, then teleport again. When I ran it, I found that annoying, as I wasn't always sure where I would teleport to in the heat of the moment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]