Diablo® III

Can this game be fun without real money?

Thinking of returning to the game, I dont mind the in-game gold auction house but I will not ever spend a dollar on the RMAH, can this game be fun without using the RMAH?
Reply Quote
It's more fun without using the RMAH, since there is a challange to preogress in gear. Once you get decent items in every slot (crafted stuff too), the challange ends, since you can only progress in gear if you are lucky or you flip a lot(imo you should only look for gear that you would use and buy underpriced items, this can even net you more gold than you started with after you sell your old item, spending more time than this on AH is not healthy) or you use money.
If you have decent items, you can either start optimizing your build with other item combinations or start a new character.
Reply Quote
I've never touched the RMAH and I very rarely use the G.A.H - mainly for the set/legendary blacksmith recipes since they don't drop, at all =P. I can farm mp 10 quite reasonably (elites die in 20-30 secs). And the new recipes help a lot.
Reply Quote
Best to play Hardcore imo, some real money sneaks its way into the economy but nothing like softcore. Plus people have a chance of death, imagine that, so the items go with them.
Edited by Nephalem#1416 on 8/27/2013 8:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I guess. But it's just not a very good game rmah or not.
Reply Quote
I don't play anymore....I like the forums though....rmah kinda ruins it for me amongst other things....
Reply Quote
depends on what you mean "fun"

i feel fun if a youtube about a self founder wizard destroy a 1350+ DPS 200% crt LS STR skorn into a brimstone !
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 8/27/2013 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Over a million people payed $60 for this game and they have more than enough money to constantly update the game, even if they decided to not make expansions. The flaws in this game need to be dealt with and should have already been dealt with considering it's been over a year since launch. It is ridiculous when you have to pay more than 100 mil to upgrade a ring that is only slightly better than what you have and to get a significant upgrade would cost around 1 bil. The state of the economy right now is in a very dark state and changes need to be made to address this.
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 09:02 AMPosted by DivineCrysis
Over a million people payed $60 for this game and they have more than enough money to constantly update the game, even if they decided to not make expansions. The flaws in this game need to be dealt with and should have already been dealt with considering it's been over a year since launch. It is ridiculous when you have to pay more than 100 mil to upgrade a ring that is only slightly better than what you have and to get a significant upgrade would cost around 1 bil. The state of the economy right now is in a very dark state and changes need to be made to address this.

Agreed. I refuse to use the RMAH or purchase gold, so I'm basically stuck. I'm not going to be able to get upgrades for any of my item slots at this point without getting a lucky drop. The only thing I could do is perhaps craft, but all my crafted items are decent and getting better ones would probably expend all of my demonic essences and then I'd still be sitting there with no upgrades anyway.
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 08:18 AMPosted by True
Thinking of returning to the game, I dont mind the in-game gold auction house but I will not ever spend a dollar on the RMAH, can this game be fun without using the RMAH?

Still haven't spent a dime or flipped anything and I'm still proud of my main character. If you cross that line and defeat the purpose of the game, you might burn out quicker and/or not feel like you've accomplished anything. So yes, it is definitely possible to have fun without the RMAH, it just takes a whole lot more patience.

Also, I'm not sure what the gap of not playing will do to you because the economy is probably way different now. I got in while the gettin' was "good". Now, it could be hard to upgrade your character using only gold that's farmed or from GAH sales. May wanna try hardcore cuz I hear their economy isn't quite so screwed.
Reply Quote
A very strange question.

It depends what you want to achieve playing a game?

Let's try to imagine, you want to play Monopoly with your friends. If you start with five times the amount of money they have, you will have a big advantage.
If you all start with the same amount, everyone will more or less have the same chance to "win" the game.

If you want to "win" Diablo3, you should buy 10 bil and copy&paste one of those dprogress chars.

If you want to have fun, just play it the way you enjoy the most.
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Omniscient

Still haven't spent a dime or flipped anything and I'm still proud of my main character. If you cross that line and defeat the purpose of the game, you might burn out quicker and/or not feel like you've accomplished anything. So yes, it is definitely possible to have fun without the RMAH, it just takes a whole lot more patience.

Also, I'm not sure what the gap of not playing will do to you because the economy is probably way different now. I got in while the gettin' was "good". Now, it could be hard to upgrade your character using only gold that's farmed or from GAH sales. May wanna try hardcore cuz I hear their economy isn't quite so screwed.

I've tried to play hardcore because of that very reason but I couldn't find any public games and I actually want to play with other people in the game for fun and so it's a little easier to make sure my character doesn't die
Reply Quote
I am returning to this game after just about a year of not playing, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Oh, and I haven't ever spent a dime on the RMAH, so yes, this game can be fun without spending any money.
Edited by Nkrdbl#1839 on 8/27/2013 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I only use the GAH to sell, and have never purchased on either AH.

I am still having fun with it. Please, don't let levels fool you - I went around 8 months with no internet connection and couldn't play for that period of time.
Reply Quote
Yeah I've never used the RMAH, and even now rarely use the GAH. Sometimes to sell gear, and if I need a boost in a specific res for a boss or something, but that's about it.
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 09:27 AMPosted by DivineCrysis
I've tried to play hardcore because of that very reason but I couldn't find any public games and I actually want to play with other people in the game for fun and so it's a little easier to make sure my character doesn't die

Yeah again, this is a design problem. Not enough players right now because of poor itemization/content, etc etc. Give softcore a go then and see if you're having fun. If not, just don't play :( Music helps. lol
Reply Quote
As long as you don't compare your character or gear to others, you'll be fine. Of course, its human nature to make comparisons that way, so YMMV.

But yes, it is possible.
Reply Quote
Yeah I've never used the RMAH, and even now rarely use the GAH. Sometimes to sell gear, and if I need a boost in a specific res for a boss or something, but that's about it.
Reply Quote
if you dont wanna spend real money then dont. such a stupid question to ask. why do people QQ about RMAH? lols its not even a competitive game. so why it matter what other people have? and plus blizz need to make money too. they ARE a company.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]