Diablo® III

Deckard Cain was the last living Horadrim

08/27/2013 04:22 PMPosted by ramiel

"brother" can mean more than literally biological sibling. Malthael and Tyrael were both Archangels on the Angeris council. calling him "brother" is in no way incorrect.

Wait, what? Are we talking about the same thing?
Are you implying Aidan and Albrecht were not brothers? D3 says they were both Leoric's sons.
Meanwhile D1 says Albrecht was the only son.
I got lost on what point you were trying to make.

no, I don't think we are. I assumed you were talking about Tyrael talking to Malthael, since the Aidan/Albrecht thing was literally only mentioned once directly in the thread that I saw.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Tyrael formed the original Horadrim.

Tyrael is now a mortal angel, living amongst the humans in Sanctuary.

Common sense says Tyrael will train new Horadrim to aid this new generation of heroes.

No doubt this'll be an easy task for a mortal angel with next to no special powers. Shouldn't take him more than a few decades.
Reply Quote
Relax. This is a video game.
Reply Quote
The wisdom thing is new to him so he is still getting the hang of it. =p

Plus he isnt an angel anymore so it might be a tad difficult to go to places like he used to.

He should ask other mortals who seem to be more clever than him; check Kulle story bro

A character having a brother would only be a retcon if previously stated he had no brothers otherwise it just went unmentioned before

except that it had been stated so

Where?

Horadrim is just a name

Indeed that's what it just is now.

No it's always been a noun

Horadrim was a collection of powerful humans used by tyrael to hunt down the prime evils

Sports Teams don't change the name because of rosters change and people retire/die ect
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

I'd expect the Wisdom to know better. *points to other dimensions*

The wisdom thing is new to him so he is still getting the hang of it. =p

Plus he isnt an angel anymore so it might be a tad difficult to go to places like he used to.

Not only that, but even if Tyrael could access other dimensions, wouldn't Malthael be able to do the same?

"brother" can mean more than literally biological sibling. Malthael and Tyrael were both Archangels on the Angeris council. calling him "brother" is in no way incorrect.

Wait, what? Are we talking about the same thing?
Are you implying Aidan and Albrecht were not brothers? D3 says they were both Leoric's sons.
Meanwhile D1 says Albrecht was the only son.
I got lost on what point you were trying to make.

Actually, it was D2 that revealed that the dark wanderer was Aidan, elder brother of Albrecht.
Edited by Bird#1227 on 8/27/2013 6:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am having a total bran fart right now, but in D2 when the soul stones were destroyed in the Hellforge, what happened to the souls of the prime evils? I thought by destroying their souls that were in the soul stone, you destroy them completely. So, what happened to the 3 prime evils? I am drawing a complete blank on the series of events.
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
Actually, it was D2 that revealed that the dark wanderer was Aidan, elder brother of Albrecht.

Aidan as a character concept is exclusive to D3. D2 did identify him as the "warrior" from D1, just like the rogue is blood raven and the sorcerer is the summoner. However all 3 characters still had no background given at all besides the "class history" from d1 (like who the rogues are, where the warriors came from, etc...)
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Machschau
I am having a total bran fart right now, but in D2 when the soul stones were destroyed in the Hellforge, what happened to the souls of the prime evils? I thought by destroying their souls that were in the soul stone, you destroy them completely. So, what happened to the 3 prime evils? I am drawing a complete blank on the series of events.

What happens to an entity when the soulstone is destroyed is pretty vague, but I believe they get banished to the "abyss", where they eventually regenerate over like thousands of years, just as if they had been killed in hell. The idea is that without the Major evils in play, the forces of heaven can eventually overcome hell and win the eternal conflict by overpowering them, so that when the evils regenerate, theyre basically powerless.

The soulstones kept their souls on this plane, allowing them to regenerate much more quickly by possessing a host body.
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Machschau

The soul stones were prisons

Izual betrayed Tyrael and told diablo and his brothers how to corrupt them, baal used that to damage the worldstone

if left corrupted the prime evils would be able to free themselves in sanctuary, by smashing the stones they would have to spawn from the abyss again

as per diablo 3 they never did because they were bound to the blacksoul stone
Reply Quote
Actually, it was D2 that revealed that the dark wanderer was Aidan, elder brother of Albrecht

Provide the source or be silent for the eternity.

As for what happens to the prime evils after smashing the stones, you can't really tell. In D2, it was simple what happens. Then D3 comes and tells you something different and introduces the black soulstone and what Adria was up to, which contradicts what you knew and gives you illogical explanations for stuff, just to justify the story.
Reply Quote
View profile
i wish blizz will just come up with a cohesive story and stick to it. so many plot holes...i tear nightly reading the lore and trying to figure out what went wrong

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my Cloud of Bats Guide @
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569309692
Reply Quote
Shocking plot twist:

They are cloned from Cain's cells so technically he still lives on in his clones and he is still the last Horadim.
Reply Quote
the guy from blizz said Tyrael establish NEW Horadrims and some1 should stick this cuz i see too many topics about it its not that hard to search
Reply Quote
View profile
With the fact that the order faded away and he is known to be the last of the horadrim. But Tyrael might've found a few horadrim that were still living. The only difference is that they were not practicing their horadric arts. The figured it was not needed. Then when Tyrael found them he got them to start practicing their arts again.
Reply Quote
View profile
I looks like Cain after all is not the last living horadrim. Maybe they were in hiding until Tyrael found them. Or he could've trained some people to be horadrim.
Reply Quote
When your lore is weak and mostly nonexistent to begin with, doesn't it make sense for the company responsible for, and owning the rights to a title, to add to it when necessary for the continuation of the story? This stuff has never been part of some wonderfully told tale anyway, why get hung up on a couple minor changes? =P
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
"But hey who cares about the story, let's just retcon a few more things like we did with Aidan and his brother, oh and bring old names like we did with Skeleton King and The Butcher, let's do that to our new expansion and enforce even more nostalgia. That totally worked with D3, let's do this again."
Also, inb4 Crusader is in fact a Horadrim.
If you're curious about recent Diablo lore and are legitimately interested in the answers to the questions you seek, I would highly recommend you check out some of our recent literary offerings, especially The Order, Sword of Justice, and the upcoming Diablo III: Book of Tyrael. Many of your questions will be answered there, though there is certainly more to come. ;)
Reply Quote
Samurai!! or Ronin.. expac characters..

And where's Natalya!!?
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 09:32 PMPosted by Vaeflare
recent Diablo lore

smh.....
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 09:41 PMPosted by Liberty
recent Diablo lore

smh.....

Why does that quotation deserve your shake of the head? There was nothing all that great about the story to begin with (my opinion only) and it was pretty simplistic.

Now, if you want to get technical about it, the original team that made Diablo and Diablo II had no idea what they were doing for a story when they started development of the first game. There was no real story until the video team created the final sequence where the Warrior jams Diablo's soulstone into his head. They didn't even know that was going to be part of the game until after the scene's addition. Of similar note, the story didn't really have any other fleshing out until Blizzard assigned Chris Metzen to it.

What you should keep in mind when you find yourself getting overly irritated about the story, is that Chris Metzen is the man behind the story in all three games. You could argue that the story in Diablo III was less dark and brooding than the previous games, or that the presentation wasn't as good, but it was still the same guy writing it. =)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]